Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ThorPaenyth

Shougeki wrote: »
    As stated buddy, Im not from Magnet. PM me if you like and ill fire you an email from my work account.

I have met Shougeki socially, and can confirm that he/she does not work for Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

delw wrote: »
    LOL, after me saying in previous post that iv never had a problem with Magnet we have had no TV/BB since 10 this morning :mad:
    Rang them twice only to be told they are working on the issue,not happy

Let us know when you're back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Let us know when you're back up and running.
    Sorry should of posted last night that it came back on about 9pm,it was a broken fiber optic cable was the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Finally got a call back today to say something about Eircom no longer providing for TV over their infrastructure, so Magnet can't supply it anymore :mad:.

Off to Sky for me so... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Finally got a call back today to say something about Eircom no longer providing for TV over their infrastructure, so Magnet can't supply it anymore :mad:.

Off to Sky for me so... :(
    Sensible move me thinks. The only decent tv provider in this country I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Anyone else having issues calling Magnet, both support and business lines (only numbers I can find) are not connecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well I just took an apartment in the Donabate area assuming there would be UPC broadband, to find out its not a fibre optic area. So I've had to go with Magnet. The guy helping me out was very helpful explaining alot of the network infrastructure and the likes.
    I'm getting the 24mb package with a phone, unfortuantley have to pay €61 a month due to the area having to piggyback on Eircom infrastrcture.

Have to say the comments here are giving me concern, I just agreed to a 12 month contract. Broadband is a massive deal for me, a dealbreaker in relation to gaming and performing my work from home.

Fingers crossed that I don't experience some of the issues mentioned here. Personally from speaking to people I know they have nothing but good things to say about Magnet and their quality of lines, but perhaps thats when they are not piggybacking on Eircom.

I'm going to miss my UPC 150mb anyway thats for sure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Had to switch to Magnet myself after been using UPC for the last 3 years but ive had no issues. XBOX gaming completely fine, downloading is fine, I just got some home plugs as I found the wireless signal wasn't great and that sorted that.

tony1980 wrote: »
    Had to switch to Magnet myself after been using UPC for the last 3 years but ive had no issues. XBOX gaming completely fine, downloading is fine, I just got some home plugs as I found the wireless signal wasn't great and that sorted that.

I have a callback tomorrow from T2 technical support. Ethernet connection is the same as wireless which is weird.

Intermitent throughout the day. Good for most, really bad in parts. Ping seems to be really high. Odd time hitting 800+ when I go a pingtest to google.com

Homeplugs, is that technology making ground? Was dirt when I looked into it a few years back. I am looking to go ethernet cable from sitting room to PC room, but obviously plugs would be better then the effort of cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

Ethernet>Plugs>Wireless

But plugs have improved greatly. Maplin currently selling tplink combined ethernet and wireless extender pair for €60.

Plus, they have that whole 28 day no quibble return policy, so worth trialling it that way. Then go buy them online :D

• Advertisement

weazlor wrote: »
    Ethernet>Plugs>Wireless

But plugs have improved greatly. Maplin currently selling tplink combined ethernet and wireless extender pair for €60.

Plus, they have that whole 28 day no quibble return policy, so worth trialling it that way. Then go buy them online :D

Yeah just got some last night for €39. Seems it is the set everyone recommends too.

Magnet dude never rang this morning... disappointing. On the plus side Im moving my PC into the apartment today so I'll have that all set and see what sort of performance Im getting from games.

Spoke a very friendly and knowledgeable fella this morning who was going through some troubleshooting issues. Also went to the bother of getting one of the sales lads to ring me, and assure me there is planned upgrades getting underway by Eircom over the next 12 months. Couldn't confirm if my area was included, but said he would be suprised if it wasn't. The area around Donabate is getting these, and already has NGB, so would expect my area to get the upgrade.

In terms of the service, well its never going to be my UPC150mb, and I think that's part of the problem, Im struggling to adapt to paying more, for less speeds. However was given a few troubleshooting tips I hadn't thought of, and a direct contact line to get back to the guy if it wasn't resolved.

Fingers crossed, coupled with the powerline adaptors, I'll have something to tide me over until Donabate joins the year 2013

TheDoc wrote: »
    Spoke a very friendly and knowledgeable fella this morning who was going through some troubleshooting issues. Also went to the bother of getting one of the sales lads to ring me, and assure me there is planned upgrades getting underway by Eircom over the next 12 months. Couldn't confirm if my area was included, but said he would be suprised if it wasn't. The area around Donabate is getting these, and already has NGB, so would expect my area to get the upgrade.

In terms of the service, well its never going to be my UPC150mb, and I think that's part of the problem, Im struggling to adapt to paying more, for less speeds. However was given a few troubleshooting tips I hadn't thought of, and a direct contact line to get back to the guy if it wasn't resolved.

Fingers crossed, coupled with the powerline adaptors, I'll have something to tide me over until Donabate joins the year 2013

I had magnet disable interlacing on my line (basicly buffering), dropped my ping a bit. But at the time I was on magnet bolt, may not be possible on a standard line.

Does anyone know the login details for the router, they werent provided. I need to get in to open some ports as its blocking my games.

Thanks,

Depending on the package you're on, it may be a bridge, not a router (no user serviceable parts). May have to ring magnet to get the ports opened.

Rang them and got the details.

When I connect to World of warcraft or lol, it keeps disconnecting the internet, looks to be a port issue.

Dam I'm having some serious reservations.

I'm really apprehensive about signing up to a year contract, paying the most expensive broadband in Dublin essentially, for a service that is pretty sporadic and poor.

So the phone hasn't worked since I got my package. Tech advise me to change the filter, so I do. Since then, the internet absolutely caves in, getting slower. I was relatively happy, 15-18mbps download and ping under 50ms and this over WIFI while I wait on my powerline adaptors.

So I change the filter, to the one they supplied, and internet ****s itself speed wise. Last night couldn't break 4mbps, and this morning can't break 6mbps. And this is all at obscure hours, so congestion shouldn't be a problem.

Even more worrying is that I can't connect to ANY of my games, and I mean any. The WIFI disconnects anytime I attempt to join a game online, be it WoW, LoL, anything.

I've sent a mail to a tech guy who gave me his email in order to get in touch, but I think I'm going to edit my package from the BB and phone bundle, to the Broadband only. This was a few euro more a month, but came with no contract so I could opt out at any time with one months notice.

Just don't feel comfortable paying €700+ a year, for a service equivalant to 2006, and having this much inconsistency and most of all, problems with gaming, the main purpose of internet in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Hi Guys,

Getting confused here. I see Magnet tech support posting repeatedly that they do not block ports (apart from 25), but I cannot reach my router IP address from the Internet, I get as far as 87.198.81.6 (d-baldoyle-asr10.magnet.ie) but no further.

I have remotely port scanned the device and the only open ports are 21, 22, 80 & 443, everything else is blocked.

I have several applications I host at home I need remote access to, this blocking by Magnet is stopping that (an issue I never had with UPC).

Anyone else come across this and get it fixed?

fayer wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Getting confused here. I see Magnet tech support posting repeatedly that they do not block ports (apart from 25), but I cannot reach my router IP address from the Internet, I get as far as 87.198.81.6 (d-baldoyle-asr10.magnet.ie) but no further.

I have remotely port scanned the device and the only open ports are 21, 22, 80 & 443, everything else is blocked.

I have several applications I host at home I need remote access to, this blocking by Magnet is stopping that (an issue I never had with UPC).

Anyone else come across this and get it fixed?

Appears this is the reason my games are getting blocked. There is a router application that allows you to open ports, yet Tech support on Sunday indicated that this actually doesn't do anything.

Seemingly you need to ring up technical support and request ports be open. I've been requesting this since Saturday, but instead they keep insisting they need to troubleshoot the phone first, as it looks like my line is faulty to the apartment. Going via Twitter support to see if I can just forward a list of ports I need open. Bit mad considering the router has an application to allow a user to open ports, yet its just for show and does nothing.

Pity considering if I could just get ports open ,I'd be relatively happy. I've had the service a week no, and being unable to use : /

• Registered Users Posts: 38 stephenodea01

I live near Annacotty in limerick and when we ordered magnet they took over a month to get an guy out. And after that month the elctrician turns around and says you cant get magnet here only eircom. Also they never answer the phone its like they have one person working there. Every problem you have with magnet has the same response when you ring them ''Eircoms problem''. stay away from magnet stick with the likes of eircom, upc, digiweb trust me they are trouble:mad:

• Advertisement

I live near Annacotty in limerick and when we ordered magnet they took over a month to get an guy out. And after that month the elctrician turns around and says you cant get magnet here only eircom. Also they never answer the phone its like they have one person working there. Every problem you have with magnet has the same response when you ring them ''Eircoms problem''. stay away from magnet stick with the likes of eircom, upc, digiweb trust me they are trouble:mad:

In fairness I'm getting alot of help from them at the moment. I can't get Magnets cabling, they are using Eircom infrastructure, but even still they logged a ticket to have the exchange serviced and get troubleshooting my issue. And it was a relatively fast turnaround.

The bloke I'm dealing with is top notch, hes in contact via mail and phone, and I havn't had to ring him, he rings me at the times agreed that he would, not a second late.

I don't believe they told you , you had to get Eircom. They probably told you that you cannot get Magnet Fibre, and that they will have to use the Eircom cabling to provide the service.

I also don't know why it would take a month for someone from Magnet to come out? They don't do installations for regions they cant provide their fibre optic, they get an Eircom engineer, so you look to have been waiting on an Eircom employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 stephenodea01

TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness I'm getting alot of help from them at the moment. I can't get Magnets cabling, they are using Eircom infrastructure, but even still they logged a ticket to have the exchange serviced and get troubleshooting my issue. And it was a relatively fast turnaround.

The bloke I'm dealing with is top notch, hes in contact via mail and phone, and I havn't had to ring him, he rings me at the times agreed that he would, not a second late.

I don't believe they told you , you had to get Eircom. They probably told you that you cannot get Magnet Fibre, and that they will have to use the Eircom cabling to provide the service.

I also don't know why it would take a month for someone from Magnet to come out? They don't do installations for regions they cant provide their fibre optic, they get an Eircom engineer, so you look to have been waiting on an Eircom employee.

Well you are lucky they would never ring me back and i rang them often enough and asked them to and they never would tell us why it took a month and i had eircom 2 years ago so its annoying that they wasted over a month of my time and they could have just checked to see if it was in my area

All sorted here

Low ping, stable connection, fast speeds. Issue was with the exchange which was fixed pretty quick, and I'm happy as larry.

Well, my internal network is slow, appears the router provided is a bit ****, but at the end of the day ,its free

hmmm

Was fine for most of the day, last few hours noticing my ping skyrocketing.

Ingame I'm creeping up to the high 100's, and when I ping various websites in cmdline I can see it hit 900ms+ on occasions.

Internal network in my house is ropey aswell, don't know if its the router, powerline adaptors or wha. Moved my NAS with me to the new apartment, and I can't even open it. Odd occasion I can view the folders within windows explorer, but most of the time it just times out.

Annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

i was with magnet upto recently and had switched router to an adsl2 tplink router.. u can buy it from me if u like..... twas real easy to setup and it improved my connections stability and wireless range a lot :)

even if u dont buy mine (u should) get ur self another router/modem fella

Hmm, might be an idea alright. Wondering could the issue be the powerline adaptors, I don't think so, made sure to buy a good set well recommended. This router appears to be a relatively recent release from Thompson, and their previous routers, whilst bog standard, were absolutely fine for my local network of accessing NAS and Raspberry Pi.

While I guess a new router is a good shout (already struggling with the 3 ethernet ports on the router) a switch might also be a solution

u obviously know what ure on about..(nas and strawberry tart) while i never had problems with drops on magnet the ping used to spike from time to time and my nas was also unreachable unless hardwired.... bit annoying when u wanna watch a movie in bed

u obviously know what ure on about..(nas and strawberry tart) while i never had problems with drops on magnet the ping used to spike from time to time and my nas was also unreachable unless hardwired.... bit annoying when u wanna watch a movie in bed

Yeah, I'm thinking of ditching the powerline adaptors and just going through the effort of running Ehternet.

Powerrline adaptors are a good technology, and have come along a long way. But they just dont stand up to good old fashioned wired.

wired is best.. my motto for life.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 S4astliv

Just wondering if anyone has this issue with Magnet. When downloading single large file (aprx. 100Mb or more) the download suddenly stops after 20-25%? Be it http or ftp, doesn't matter. I used different devices, routers - same result. Also tried to download the same file from work - no issues. So its really down to magnet. Called their tech support, the guy on the phone said that this is not a known issue and this was the first time he heard about it in two years since he is working there. So just wondering if anyone had the same experience? Thanks.

Advertisement