Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!! how to set TP-link router to the Magnet?

Options
  • 04-04-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I bought a TP link TD-W8961ND modem+ router and is trying to link it up to the Magnet. The router requires the PPPoE account and password but the Magnet service said they don't need that? Getting mad...
    Anyone has experience about how to set up the router for Magnet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

On the LLU Magnet service, or FTTH Magnet service (non Eircom resold), you don't need PPPoE.
    Set it to get a WAN IP by DHCP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's a combined modem/router, so you can't connect it to your current modem. Magnet don't give out the information you need to use your own modem either (or at least they didn't in the past), which means you can't set up this modem.

In short, you won't get far without Magnet giving you the information you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Corkie420

thanks for all the reply!!! I tried the whole afternoon and it seems now the ADSL and Internet LED on the router is on. But still can't access to internet. My friend said it would be some delay of the the real connection after the eircom engineer linked the phone line. Anyone knows if that's true?

Magnet don't use PPPoE but I got an AVM FRITZ!Box working on their system. You need to configure the modem to use Ethernet encapsulation. I'm not sure how to do this on a TP-LINK but other than that, the VPI is 0 and the VCI is 35.

Just to update, as I got my mits on a TP-LINK ADSL modem today. From what I can see, you set the ISP to "Bridge Mode" and the encapsulation to "1483 Bridged IP LLC" - this seems to mirror the config from the AVM router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Corkie420

Thanks, Karsini! Have you connected to the internet?
    I fix it today! Just a summary of the setup i used:

ISP connection type: dynamic IP address
    VPI: 0
    VCI: 35
    Connection Type: 1483 bridged IP LLC
    ADSL Mode: ADSL 2+
    ADSL Type: ANNEX A/I/J/L/M

Up to this step, setting is done!
    That's all

Cheers

Corkie420 wrote: »
    Thanks, Karsini! Have you connected to the internet?
    I fix it today! Just a summary of the setup i used:

Up to this step, setting is done!
    That's all

Cheers
    I didn't actually hook up the TP-LINK up to the DSL as the AVM router is set up on the Magnet line and I couldn't bring the system down (I know I'm the network admin in there but I'd need a good reason to do it ;)). I was just going through the settings on the TP-LINK to see what I could find which matched the AVM's settings. The only difference with what you did there is I had to use a static IP in work as Magnet assigned them one.

The AVM uses a setting called "No account information required (in accordance with RFC 1483/RFC 2684)" so I figured that "1483 bridged IP LLC" was the same thing.

Glad you got it working. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jpkidd

Corkie420 wrote: »
    I bought a TP link TD-W8961ND modem+ router and is trying to link it up to the Magnet. The router requires the PPPoE account and password but the Magnet service said they don't need that? Getting mad...
    Anyone has experience about how to set up the router for Magnet?

I was just wondering since ye are on about this, I just signed up to magnet today nd I signed up on the pretence that I have a router/modem myself, I have an eircom modem the Zyxel 1 I was wondering will this work, or am I gona hav to go down the same route as you have nd buy a new 1.
    Thanks

Jpkidd wrote: »
    I was just wondering since ye are on about this, I just signed up to magnet today nd I signed up on the pretence that I have a router/modem myself, I have an eircom modem the Zyxel 1 I was wondering will this work, or am I gona hav to go down the same route as you have nd buy a new 1.
    Thanks

You shouldn't need to buy a new modem, you'll just need to know how to reconfigure your existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jpkidd

Karsini wrote: »
    Jpkidd wrote: »
    Thanks

You shouldn't need to buy a new modem, you'll just need to know how to reconfigure your existing one.

No worries, should be ok to do that,
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 tmm1999

Hi There,

I have been trying to get online with my new Magnet broadband connection and a Fritzbox, but I don't seem to get it right.

-Does anyone know which information needs to go into the fields shown in the screenshot? Have I ticked the correct boxes?
    -Moreover, the Fritzbox came with a funny cable. 1 end plugs into the router, but it branches out into 2 ends on the other side. I can only put 1 into the Eircom outlet. The other one is just left over. Can that be right? Do I need to purchase a different cable?

Thanks!

tmm1999 wrote: »
    Hi There,

I have been trying to get online with my new Magnet broadband connection and a Fritzbox, but I don't seem to get it right.

-Does anyone know which information needs to go into the fields shown in the screenshot? Have I ticked the correct boxes?
    -Moreover, the Fritzbox came with a funny cable. 1 end plugs into the router, but it branches out into 2 ends on the other side. I can only put 1 into the Eircom outlet. The other one is just left over. Can that be right? Do I need to purchase a different cable?

Thanks!
    Change the encapsulation to Bridged (Routed Bridge Encapsulation). The VPI should be 0 and the VCI 35.

One of the parts on the Y cable has DSL marked on it, that carries the internet only. The other is for the phone part. If you have a DSL filter you can plug both in but it's only important if you want to route your phone through the Fritz.

Hi Karsini,

Many thanks for your reply! I appreciate it.

-I have now changed to "Bridged (Routed Bridge Encapsulation)", but I have the choice to tick "Obtain the IP address automatically (DHCP)" or not. Should I activate this tickbox or not?
    --If yes, do I need to write anything into the field "DHCP host name"?

--If I am not supposed to tick "Obtain the IP address automatically (DHCP)", then what should I supply for the following options?

-IP address
    -Subnet mask
    -Default Gateway
    -Primary DNS Server
    -Secondary DNS Server

Lastly, I plugged the cable marked "DSL" straight into the Eircom outlet, the other one is just "hanging there" (see photo). Is that all correct?

Thanks again

The wiring is fine, you only need the black cable if you want to route telephone calls from the Eircom line to the Fritz.

Did Magnet give you a static IP? If not then enable DHCP.

No, I won't have phone calls from Eircom. I got a "simply broadband" connection. Okay, so wiring is okay then.

Magnet didn't really give/send me anything because I didn't order a modem with them. They sent me a short modem set-up guide for a few modems, but the screenshots are blurry and I can't read the data. Fritzbox was not covered anyways.

Still with the settings as recommend, I don't get a connection :( Anything else I could be missing?

Do I need a username and password? If so, I have to call them as I didn't receive that to date.

No, there's no username or password with Magnet. Does the DSL sync at all?

It could be the same problem I had in the job - Magnet sent us a modem but had DHCP enabled on it, when I called them they then gave me a static IP to put in.

I'd send you a screengrab of the box from work but it's on older firmware (84.05.04) so it would differ to what you have here, the UI was changed in 84.05.20.

Here is a screenshot of the overview screen attached.

Under "connections", "Internet" is green.
    Under "interfaces", "DSL" is grey and it states "connection interrupted". If I click on "details", I get to the event log, but it is empty for "Internet connection".

I think I give up for tonight, been trying for 3 hours without much luck.

Thanks for all pointers. I'll call magnet tomorrow and see if they have any advice. Will report back afterwards.

No problem, give me another shout tomorrow if you need to. Looks like the DSL isn't syncing up - it would normally say "ready, 11,3 Mbit/s 1,8 Mbit/s" or something similar. If you check System > Event Log it should tell you.

You can also plug a standard RJ11 phone cable into the box and forget about the Y cable, but as you'd then be plugging an RJ11 into an RJ45 socket you risk bending the outer pins inside the RJ45.

Called Magnet today and they said even though my Eircom line has been activated, Magnet apparently didn't "provision" my line. They'll do that on Monday and supposedly it is going to work then.
    It's a bit weird, as they texted me saying all services are active 2 or 3 days ago... So let's hope for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lantuzi

Hi. How many days have you waited for Magnet service? Did you newly install a new telephoen line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 lantuzi

I get my BB today and know the correct setting from customer service. Here is the configuration for "Simply Broadband":

Mode: Routing
    Connection Type: ENET ENCAP

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Scorlóg

Hey - thanks to the advice on this forum (and not to Magnet support) I got my TP-LINK modem working with the following settings:

- Just confirming these work for anyone else who needs them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jpopol

Hi I just want to share the settings for magnet stream.
    It's also explained on magnet website in the business section.

VPI:8
    VCI:35
    ISP: PPPoA/PPPoE
    Service name: Magnet
    Username: <your_acount_number>@magnet.ie
    Password: (you need to call magnet for that)
    Encapsulation: PPPoE LLC
    Bidge interface: desactivated
    IP: Dynamic
    TCP MTU: 1492

Same adsl settings as post above

Hope this will help people as magnet stream is totally undocumented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leo_sarkis

How to configure your modem T-PLINK
    with MAGNET.IE

MODEL NO ; TD-W8951ND

;):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 anfirrua

Complete resurrection but think I could add value to anyone trying this now.
    I ordered magnet broadband and received a Zyxel amg1202-t10b router.
    I wanted to bridge this connection over to a DD-WRT router I have.
    First thing, the default web admin on the Zyxel from magnet is port 7080; this is not obvious in the welcome back.
    You need to login to the Zyxel web admin > Administration > Backup router config. You are offered to download a backup file that will have all required information.
    You can now switch the broadband mode to "bridge" and hit apply, I accepted all other defaults.
    The magnet PPPoE username/password can be found in the Zyxel backup file opened with Notepad++ or other editor. Username seems to be customernumber at magnet.ie, my password was a random password and not 'password' as previously suggested.
    I then plugged Zyxel LAN1 into WAN port on DD-WRT and configured PPPoE settings in DD-WRT with the username/password, saved, rebooted and all worked as expected.

Advertisement