Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

n00bizme wrote: »
    Any chance of magnet coming to Drogheda?

Not a hope in hell in the near distant future, eircom simply don't have the funds to do the fibre installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 n00bizme

bealtine wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell in the near distant future, eircom simply don't have the funds to do the fibre installation.

But Eircon already has their 1GB Wholesale in Drogheda, as well as the fact that Drogheda already has a MAN, which clearly IS useful as UPC used one in Carlow, and Drogheda has the exact same MAN installed by the same company as the one that installed it in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

n00bizme wrote: »
    Any chance of magnet coming to Drogheda? Right now the town is stuck with Eircon's supposed NGB, which is you can afford to buy is utter crap anyway. I know magnet has the resold Eircon 8MB package, but I'm asking if magnet is considering installing their own cabinets/equipment is existing cabinets in Drogheda.Wouldn't be a bad publicity stunt either, what with the ' A town fights back ' series on at the moment.

There are other ISPs who offer non Eircom Wholesale Bitstream in Drogheda. Vodafone for example.

Is up to Magnet to lay fiber to drogheda. The resources are there. At this point Dundalk is more of a problem as bandwidth is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

Surely it is not for Magnet to dictate how people wish to use their connection in their own home?

For instance, if nothing else is connected, a user would not be able to utilise the full speed of their connection for 1 particular use? (i.e downloading a large file etc).

Its a matter of principal really, not that many people would really need a 150mbit connection.

Therefore, for a single user household, the 150mbit is useless, and they should only order a 100mbit line (if that's even available??)

Just curious. It seems like an odd decision. (or a way to artificially exaggerate how good the service is with multiple users connected).

Considering you're selling a 150mbit service, why not supply a 300mbit capable wireless n router?

*where'd i put that devils advocate hat, oh there is it*

In the interests of fairness, any single user I know who'd be going for BB would generally be a net junkie in most cases, probably toting a smart phone too, or a beast of a desktop and a lappy for wandering about. So in those kinds of cases it'd be nice not to have to throttle your utorrent on the beast just to do a bit of browsing. Having your *completly legal linux distros* download in 12 seconds instead of 10 isnt a huge issue to my mind. And if you're that minded, you've probably got a box of spare network cards already. The real world effect of the limitation is a niggle, but minor.

On the other hand, in a multiuser house, I can attest to the usefulness of one member not being able to whore the line. In one house I lived in I put together a proxy box in order to do just this kind of service.

At the end of the day, I like the BB i'm getting from magnet, and I trust them more than other providers when it comes to downtime, support and the like. They really should have plumped for the 1GBs connections for the routers considering what they're selling.
    It really was an obvious oversight being covered for with the usual *it's not an error, it's a feature* babble, but I forgive ye, and i'd still sign up for fibre when it's available in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jim.

Hi Rory,
    What speeds will your VDSL service provide? I'm considering switching to UPC in April of next year because I finding it hard to justify staying with Magnet's 24Mb/0.5Mb service when UPC provide 100Mb/10Mb for slightly cheaper..
    Thanks
    Jim

P.S. Does Gary still work for you? I sent him a PM a week ago but haven't had a response yet, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

weazlor wrote: »
    *where'd i put that devils advocate hat, oh there is it*

In the interests of fairness, any single user I know who'd be going for BB would generally be a net junkie in most cases, probably toting a smart phone too, or a beast of a desktop and a lappy for wandering about. So in those kinds of cases it'd be nice not to have to throttle your utorrent on the beast just to do a bit of browsing. Having your *completly legal linux distros* download in 12 seconds instead of 10 isnt a huge issue to my mind. And if you're that minded, you've probably got a box of spare network cards already. The real world effect of the limitation is a niggle, but minor.

On the other hand, in a multiuser house, I can attest to the usefulness of one member not being able to whore the line. In one house I lived in I put together a proxy box in order to do just this kind of service.

At the end of the day, I like the BB i'm getting from magnet, and I trust them more than other providers when it comes to downtime, support and the like. They really should have plumped for the 1GBs connections for the routers considering what they're selling.
    It really was an obvious oversight being covered for with the usual *it's not an error, it's a feature* babble, but I forgive ye, and i'd still sign up for fibre when it's available in my area.

In fairness, I wasn't trying to be overly critical. But bandwith alocation at the end users address should be an issue for the end user(s) to deal with, that's all.

Plus, it means you'll never actually ever reach the advertised speed on a single device.

Personally, if I downloaded at 100 or 150mbps - I really coudln't care, its still plenty fast enough for ANYTHING I could possibly think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

have magnet stated throttling? havent been reaching anywhere near what i should be at 800kb/s used to be hitting 1500kb/s I havent downgraded my line i have gone on the simply broadband is this in the fineprint??

anyone esle experienced this??

In fairness, I wasn't trying to be overly critical. But bandwith alocation at the end users address should be an issue for the end user(s) to deal with, that's all.

Plus, it means you'll never actually ever reach the advertised speed on a single device.

Personally, if I downloaded at 100 or 150mbps - I really coudln't care, its still plenty fast enough for ANYTHING I could possibly think of.

Oh I know, you're not, i'm just clearing up all the possible arguments for and against to the best of my ability. And yeah, considering most sites wouldnt be able to handle 100mbs anyway, it's mainly a download gripe, and you're normally getting that stuff for free so meh.

rampant, few questions you'll be asked:
    Wired or wireless. (obvious one)
    Location in the country. (could be a local issue)
    Distance from router/walls/length of cable.
    Where you getting your speeds from, it has to be from http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ for them to pay attention to it.
    ... virusscans up to date and recently run spybot, number of people on the line, different os (effectivly what changes since you last checked your line)
    thats all I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

weazlor wrote: »

Oh I know, you're not, i'm just clearing up all the possible arguments for and against to the best of my ability. And yeah, considering most sites wouldnt be able to handle 100mbs anyway, it's mainly a download gripe, and you're normally getting that stuff for free so meh.

rampant, few questions you'll be asked:
    Wired or wireless. (obvious one)
    Location in the country. (could be a local issue)
    Distance from router/walls/length of cable.
    Where you getting your speeds from, it has to be from http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ for them to pay attention to it.
    ... virusscans up to date and recently run spybot, number of people on the line, different os (effectivly what changes since you last checked your line)
    thats all I can think of.

Less then a km from exchange only me on my line - magnet test shows about 18mb but when actually use is around 8 - most speed test only test for a certain length of time , after this length of time throttling begins , ie speed test gives u a false answer!

Im wireless and everything upto date n virus free, I've been on magnet for nearly 3 yrs .
    Thanks for the info hopefully Rory or Gary will reply

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Siim

Can I use my own ADSL2+ modem with Magnet Broadband service?
    Does anyone know what devices are compatible?
    What about TP-LINK TD-8616?
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TD-8616

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Fibre has been absolutely brutal today, Constantly dropping connection, Taking forever to download anything and an age to buffer videos..

1619659414.png

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

baraca wrote: »
    Fibre has been absolutely brutal today, Constantly dropping connection, Taking forever to download anything and an age to buffer videos..

1619659414.png

:mad::mad:
    Yea same with me disconnecting every few mins so fustrating

Less then a km from exchange only me on my line - magnet test shows about 18mb but when actually use is around 8 - most speed test only test for a certain length of time , after this length of time throttling begins , ie speed test gives u a false answer!

Im wireless and everything upto date n virus free, I've been on magnet for nearly 3 yrs .
    Thanks for the info hopefully Rory or Gary will reply

No problem, if you want to dig deeper you can google ping commands to do extended tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cormicar

Catalyst wrote: »
    Hi Rory,

Yes, I am getting dynamic public ip addresses from different subnets from the packetfront dhcp server can this be changed on the router by magnet tech to only use ips from the same subnet? Also if possible to increase the renewal time?

Unable to network pcs at home as ips keep changing from one subnet to another. Looks like every hour but i cant be sure. Otherwise is there an alternative solutions? 4 Laptops, PS3, Screenplay, 2 mobiles with wireless.

Surprised that no one else is having this problem or maybe there is a solution that i dont know about :)

Thanks

I have the same problem. I can't stream to my xbox as my PC and xbox are on different subnets. Both are get auto ip addresses from magnet packet front box. I have to manually change ip settings on PC to match xbox for the stream to work. It's a pain in the ass.

Any solution found???

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Still disconnecting every 20 mins or so anybody got any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SyneX

Does anyone living in Monaghan know if the broadband is good, just got Imagine broadband installed and cant do shiz without it lagging me on my games or when watching clips on youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I'm trying to find out for a friend if a Vodafone Suresignal will work with Magnet broadband. I've had a look at the equipment and it's all locked down and it doesn't look like you can connect external equipment like a wireless Router to replace the current rubbish they were provided.

I've tried contacting Maget reps through boards and also ringing and still no reply or answer. I keep telling them to cancel the service because they can't even get a wireless signal upstairs and their callback service on the website is next to useless as nobody EVER calls you back.

In short, avoid Magnet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Vanbis wrote: »
    I'm trying to find out for a friend if a Vodafone Suresignal will work with Magnet broadband. I've had a look at the equipment and it's all locked down and it doesn't look like you can connect external equipment like a wireless Router to replace the current rubbish they were provided.

I've tried contacting Maget reps through boards and also ringing and still no reply or answer. I keep telling them to cancel the service because they can't even get a wireless signal upstairs and their callback service on the website is next to useless as nobody EVER calls you back.

In short, avoid Magnet!!

Which router do they have? Previously I had one of the Telsey ones, and I connected up a linksys one to that and could perform all the management I wanted on that. The Telsey one just passed everything through.

I've now got fibre with a Thomson router and this allows for some management.

Based on the following (old and UK article), here, some forwarding of ports is required, so the Thomson should be fine, or if using the Telsey then you'ld need another router hooked up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Which router do they have? Previously I had one of the Telsey ones, and I connected up a linksys one to that and could perform all the management I wanted on that. The Telsey one just passed everything through.

Based on the following (old and UK article), here, some forwarding of ports is required, so the Thomson should be fine, or if using the Telsey then you'ld need another router hooked up to that.

No forwarding or configuration required for the Suresignal. Will work on any fixed-line broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

So Eircom installed two little boxes in the wall last monday(12/12) and a wireless modem and a tv box arrived in the post today. Can i set it up myself or do i have to wait for a technician?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thedoc46

I was with Magnet for 2 years up until recently and I didn't have any sort problems until the 24 of Nov when the net went down, I contacted the tech team and they it was an eircom fault fair enough i call eircom engineer arrives within 4 days problem fixed & nothing else wrong with the line,

Called Magnet back after doing a speed test and only getting 0.5m download am suppose to be getting 10MB, Magnet fob me off saying no this Eircom again blah blah blah ****e I asked Magnet for an engineer to sort this out on the 1st and to arrange a call out or even to call me (They sent no one or no call back), After another few days of trying to get this sorted I gave up cancelled with the shower of useless f**k's,

Last night I get a call from an engineer who wants to come out to the house in the morning to try and sort out the problem i was having, yeah Magnet nice one about 2 weeks 2 late, and then to top off they want me to pay a bill from the last 2 weeks in November up until the 30day cooling off cancellation period, :mad::mad:

The worst customer service team and tech team I have ever had the "Pleasure" of enduring over the last month or so,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

JazzyJ wrote: »

I tried accessing the Router but the default gateway address was their IPso it's configured in a way you can access the router to make changes. I already tried connecting up a Netgear N router in place of the current junk they got supplied but that wouldn't work, wireless or with a Ethernet cable.

I've sent two or 3 messages on boards to their reps. I've requested numerous callbacks and still a month later nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 john363

Having some trouble with our Magnet, we have a telsey router and normally 4-5 devices connected. The connection itself is good but most of the time we cannot get all the devices connected at the same time. One device's connection will show limited or no connectivity and gets assigned a 169.xxx.xxx.xx ip address and won't be able to connect. This might go away after 30 mins or more. Anyone seen anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thedoc46

Vanbis wrote: »
    I tried accessing the Router but the default gateway address was their IPso it's configured in a way you can access the router to make changes. I already tried connecting up a Netgear N router in place of the current junk they got supplied but that wouldn't work, wireless or with a Ethernet cable.

I've sent two or 3 messages on boards to their reps. I've requested numerous callbacks and still a month later nothing.

And you will still be waiting my friend at least another few weeks they are bloody useless, UPC 100% better (am not affiliated with UPC at all) Good Luck with your wait and call back

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

So after a lot of if's and buts i got it sorted, most of the tech lads i spoke to wouldnt/couldnt sort is they havnt been trained with my BB yet.

One lad Alan, i think gave it a go and sorted it, some channel issue.

Anyway working fine but now i want to install OpenDNS onto it, to do this i need to get into the router via the http://192.168.1.254 but i cant for the life of me find the username or password.

Anyone got it for the thomas tg789n router?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Hi,

I've ordered Magnet BB and am currently waiting for eircom to transfer the line. Magnet sent me a "modem guide" which provides no information on modem configuration but only goes through the configuration of wireless routers....

I've a WAG320N which has a DSL modem built in and don't feel like paying the extra €5/month for magnet's rubbish hardware.

Can anyone give me the basic configuration info required to connect my WAG320N to magnet's service?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

thedoc46 wrote: »
    I was with Magnet for 2 years up until recently and I didn't have any sort problems until the 24 of Nov when the net went down, I contacted the tech team and they it was an eircom fault fair enough i call eircom engineer arrives within 4 days problem fixed & nothing else wrong with the line,

Called Magnet back after doing a speed test and only getting 0.5m download am suppose to be getting 10MB, Magnet fob me off saying no this Eircom again blah blah blah ****e I asked Magnet for an engineer to sort this out on the 1st and to arrange a call out or even to call me (They sent no one or no call back), After another few days of trying to get this sorted I gave up cancelled with the shower of useless f**k's,

Last night I get a call from an engineer who wants to come out to the house in the morning to try and sort out the problem i was having, yeah Magnet nice one about 2 weeks 2 late, and then to top off they want me to pay a bill from the last 2 weeks in November up until the 30day cooling off cancellation period, :mad::mad:

The worst customer service team and tech team I have ever had the "Pleasure" of enduring over the last month or so,

I've worked for two companies that rented Eircom's bitstream and I can tell you now that they treat these companies exactly like their customers - badly.

Most of the time if it is a problem with the line then it IS Eircom's fault because they're the ones managing the connection from your house to the local exchange. From there depending on how it was set up it'll either connect to the other company's equipment or it will still connect to an Eircom line.

Companies that rent bitstream get dicked around by Eircom ALL of the time and trying to even get them to give someone a callout can be a battle all by itself.

I wouldn't blame Magnet in this situation, even though they could have communicated all of this to you a bit more clearly. I really don't think that you were being fobbed off at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Achilles wrote: »

Most of the time if it is a problem with the line then it IS Eircom's fault because they're the ones managing the connection from your house to the local exchange. From there depending on how it was set up it'll either connect to the other company's equipment or it will still connect to an Eircom line.

Companies that rent bitstream get dicked around by Eircom ALL of the time and trying to even get them to give someone a callout can be a battle all by itself.

I wouldn't blame Magnet in this situation, even though they could have communicated all of this to you a bit more clearly. I really don't think that you were being fobbed off at all.

Not entirely true ... with Local loop unbundling, in some exchanges, it is the wholesale customer who is in charge of the line from exchange to customer

eircom are also obligated, and this is always scrutinised by Comreg, to clear 80% of faults on a PSTN line within 24 hours , can't remember the rest of the breakdown of the 20%, but the longest they're allowed go, is 10 days and this is only with a valid excuse (a main cable getting dug up etc..)

hence, once a fault is reported to Eircom, they have to fix it within a certain timeframe... I know people will have horror stories of them not, but Comreg come down on the hard, yearly, if they don't, if you ever have had a problem, report it to Comreg...

there is also the delay of say (for example) you rang Vodafone or Smart with problems with your line ... they then have to get onto Eircom to report it (if they are not in charge of the Local loop).. and then the clock starts ticking with eircom ... but say they reported it a day and a half later, well then that is going to lag eircom's responce ....

there is also the case now where the likes of the technician working on local loops for other providers who can't establish a fault, and refer it to eircom, he could have also been working on it for a day or two before eircom know anything about it ...

re-reading above, as it's in regards to Magnet, they are also in control of some of their own local loops (hence their own technicians) they also have some of their own fibre network which Eircom only piggyback on... so there could be numerous reasons, well depending on your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

arctan wrote: »
    Not entirely true ... with Local loop unbundling, in some exchanges, it is the wholesale customer who is in charge of the line from exchange to customer

eircom are also obligated, and this is always scrutinised by Comreg, to clear 80% of faults on a PSTN line within 24 hours , can't remember the rest of the breakdown of the 20%, but the longest they're allowed go, is 10 days and this is only with a valid excuse (a main cable getting dug up etc..)

hence, once a fault is reported to Eircom, they have to fix it within a certain timeframe... I know people will have horror stories of them not, but Comreg come down on the hard, yearly, if they don't, if you ever have had a problem, report it to Comreg...

there is also the delay of say (for example) you rang Vodafone or Smart with problems with your line ... they then have to get onto Eircom to report it (if they are not in charge of the Local loop).. and then the clock starts ticking with eircom ... but say they reported it a day and a half later, well then that is going to lag eircom's responce ....

there is also the case now where the likes of the technician working on local loops for other providers who can't establish a fault, and refer it to eircom, he could have also been working on it for a day or two before eircom know anything about it ...

re-reading above, as it's in regards to Magnet, they are also in control of some of their own local loops (hence their own technicians) they also have some of their own fibre network which Eircom only piggyback on... so there could be numerous reasons, well depending on your area.

In Line Sharing the copper is still eircoms. If there is an issue on the copper only affecting DSL Eircom are not obliged to fix this, this is by SLA. Only if the issue affects the phone service they are. For example, if the line has poor longitudinal balance or noise if its not service\affecting (PSTN) or the noise is not audible then Eircom dont have to fix this.

The Response time for PSTN faults is 5 working days (actually I think this had changed recently I must check), this starts counting from the moment is reported to Eircom wholesale by a reseller. Doesnt matter what the fault is it has to be fixed within this time except in cases of Force Majour. Maybe what you mean is tht Eircom have 80% EFT on PSTN faults within the first working day

Magnets technicians are only allowed to touch their own equipment. When Magnet goes to an Eircom exchange they can't touch anything but their equipment. Even if they can see an issue on the Eircom block they can't touch it as is only Eircom who can. Eircom are very extrict in regards what to do and not to do in a exchange.

Not sure of what you mean with Magnets Fibre and Eircom piggy backing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

no ... what I mean is 80% of faults have to be cleared within 24 hours of them being reported to Eircom, it is regulated by Comreg, and everything has to be tracked...

Re: Magnet's fibre, they have a network of their own optical fibre in certain areas round Dublin, which they unbundled to allow Eircom on, instead of the usual opposite ... was sayin it because I don't know where the posters location is, and there is a possibility they could be on Magnet's own network, not an Eircom one..

Advertisement