Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Is Precision Engineered Whey Protein any good? I usually buy Gold Standard but I was in Holland & Barrett yesterday and they are selling this stuff for €20 at the moment (really tempting). I'm just a bit wary as it's so cheap. It won't make you gain weight will it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Is Precision Engineered Whey Protein any good? I usually buy Gold Standard but I was in Holland & Barrett yesterday and they are selling this stuff for €20 at the moment (really tempting). I'm just a bit wary as it's so cheap. It won't make you gain weight will it?
    "Whey Protein" is generally all the same, it's just a convenient source of protein.

Weight gain will depend on the rest of your diet.

If it's cheap then buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

All Whey is not created equally. Both the ONs and H&B are a blended whey protein. I would stick with the ONs as it is higher in protein gram for gram. Ons also less fat, and although the same carbs, it has less sugar.

Ideally you would want to be taking a high quality Whey Isolate.

GymSoldier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

looks alright here > http://dietarysupplements.nlm.nih.gov/dietary/detail.jsp?fulltext=&contain=21004012&name=Precision+Engineered+Whey+Protein+Powder&pageD=brand . How much you getting for €20? i usually buy mine on the internet quality stuff at a great price at my protein > http://www.myprotein.com/IE/products/impact-whey-protein . or bulkpowders > http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/index.php?xSearch=%A4cy=2 . Deliverys 5 euro at myprotein and £10 at bulkpowders for as much products and weight as you like

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

Was in the gym today and a couple of the guys were talking about talking MSM anyone have any experience using it??

• Advertisement

Was in the gym today and a couple of the guys were talking about talking MSM anyone have any experience using it??

Have you got problems with your joints? Ive always just used Glucosamine when im experiencing joint pain, when my really intake of oils isnt doing the job, and its worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MrMcLegend

im currently back training fairly seriously in the gym and playing football and i bought some weight gainer and whey protein to help with my strength etc!
    im taking the weight gainer before training as it has a lot of carbs and the whey protein after and was jus wondering is this the right thing to do???
    i also take the whey protein on days off for recovery!!

any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
    i know this may open a can of worms as everyone in a gym seems to know what the right thing to do is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Have you got problems with your joints? Ive always just used Glucosamine when im experiencing joint pain, when my really intake of oils isnt doing the job, and its worked for me.

+1 I've been using fish oils + Glucosamine for a while now.

Was initially using some H&B generic stuff.

But I switched to Optimum Nutrition Fish Oils 200's and Glucosamine CSA and have had great results. The fish oil caps are cocnut coated so dont have that oily after taste.

Also tried MM Ache Free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Hey guys, where' s the best place to get flaxseed/linseed oil. Can't seem to find it in any department store. Is it one of those niche products that only H&B sell?

Slugs wrote: »
    Hey guys, where' s the best place to get flaxseed/linseed oil. Can't seem to find it in any department store. Is it one of those niche products that only H&B sell?

H&B sell ground flaxseed or the oil itself.

I prefer the ground seed, more natural and full of fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 gerryatric

Hi all, just noticing Holland and Barrett are having a buy one get 50% off sale.
    Is there anything recommended that would be a must have for someone trying to get in shape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MACT1RE

Ideally you would want to be taking a high quality Whey Isolate.

GymSoldier

So what’s the best Brand of Whey Protein to buy and would it be better for you unflavored?

At the moment I’m taking the H&B Precision Engineered Strawberry.

MACT1RE wrote: »
    So what’s the best Brand of Whey Protein to buy and would it be better for you unflavored?

At the moment I’m taking the H&B Precision Engineered Strawberry.

I use Ultimate Nutrition ISO 93 Whey Isolate. 30grams protein per 32gram scoop,with only 1gram of carbohydrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MACT1RE

I use Ultimate Nutrition ISO 93 Whey Isolate. 30grams protein per 32gram scoop,with only 1gram of carbohydrate.

Sounds good, where are you getting that, online?

MACT1RE wrote: »
    Sounds good, where are you getting that, online?
    dont really think you need isolate unless your lactose intolerent or planning on entering a bodybuilding competition soon. Heres an example of myprotein products whey isolate >
    Per 30g:
    Energy: 111.0Kcal
    Energy: 472.0KJ
    Protein (dry basis): 27.9g
    Protein (as-is): 27.7g
    Fat: 0.3g
    Carbohydrates: 0.2g
    Calcium: 120.0mg
    Cholesterol: 0.6mg

and whey concentrate >
    Per 30g:
    Energy: 118.0Kcal
    Energy: 497.0kJ
    Protein (dry basis): 24.6g
    Protein (as-is): 23.6g
    Fat: 2.1g
    Carbohydrates: 1.8g
    Calcium: 150.0mg
    Cholesterol: 0.6mg

jasonf9ace wrote: »
    dont really think you need isolate unless your lactose intolerent or planning on entering a bodybuilding competition soon.

Do you actually know what the difference between Isolate and Concentrate is?
    And don't just google me a response, to say that its just for two different groups of people is ludacris. Can I only start using Isolate pre-contest?

Do you actually know what the difference between Isolate and Concentrate is?
    And don't just google me a response, to say that its just for two different groups of people is ludacris. Can I only start using Isolate pre-contest?
    i do indeed isolates more filtered so its more "pure" ie less fat and lactose per serving and contains more protein per serving compared to concentrate. Anyone can use isolate when they want if they wanna pay more for a slightly better protein ratio and less fat and carbs.If you have bloating issues over lactose then isolates more likely gonna work better for most. Thats the jist of it that i get with the differents of isolate and concentrate or am i missing something magical about isolate that i didnt discover yet?

jasonf9ace wrote: »
    i do indeed isolates more filtered so its more "pure" ie less fat and lactose per serving and contains more protein per serving compared to concentrate. Anyone can use isolate when they want if they wanna pay more for a slightly better protein ratio and less fat and carbs.If you have bloating issues over lactose then isolates more likely gonna work better for most. Thats the jist of it that i get with the differents of isolate and concentrate or am i missing something magical about isolate that i didnt discover yet?

Nice googling, yeah you forgot that its only for the pre-contest bodybuilder :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What's wrong with what he said there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hanley wrote: »

+1

the man put forward what he understood...then asked if he was missing something...i see nothing wrong with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

high horse.
    get off it like a good fella

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Lads, just wondering for anyone who uses ON Gold Standard Whey, where is the cheapest place online to buy? I can't seem to find anywhere cheaper then €50 including postage! Cheers in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

high horse.

fuck your Isolate i have a horse outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

dorgasm wrote: »
    Lads, just wondering for anyone who uses ON Gold Standard Whey, where is the cheapest place online to buy? I can't seem to find anywhere cheaper then €50 including postage! Cheers in advance!

2 euro cheaper and free delivery.

http://www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/20

you could always go for the bigger bag.
    89 euro and free delivery

2 euro cheaper and free delivery.

http://www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/20

you could always go for the bigger bag.
    89 euro and free delivery

Its only free delevery if you spend 50e or more, get a shaker to make it up to 50e

Hanley wrote: »
    +1

the man put forward what he understood...then asked if he was missing something...i see nothing wrong with that
    high horse.

Lets all gang up on me. Power in numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

there's about 300kg right there :pac:

You're a soldier, deal with it.

Rycn wrote: »
    You're a soldier, deal with it.

Ha thanks :)

• Advertisement

nice googling?most people do a little research before buying a product,especially if its a product your gonna consume regularly,but i guess your one of the lucky ones where you knew this since you were in nappies i suppose :), my origanal post was that theres no need to pay the extra money really for isolate unless your lactose intolerent or on a strict diet where every gram counts like a bodybuilder pre contest.Whats your great arguement then why the good man should pay extra for isolate?

Advertisement