Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay Farrant CPT

Hanley wrote: »
    I can't think of the numbers off the top of my head, but I think your BMR stays elevated by 5-7% in the 24 hour period after a heavy weights workout, and each pound of muscle you add uses an additional 40kcals daily or something like that.

Open to correction on those numbers. I don't even remember where I saw it :/

It been said that Your Metabolism can be higher for up to 48 hours after Resistance training .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It been said that Your Metabolism can be higher for up to 48 hours after Resistance training .

As I said, I was working off memory.

Got any links to studies or anything with relevant data?

I wasn't picking at you ... I have read it in a few books (AthleticBodysystem) That's The effects can last up to 48 hours ....
    24 / 48 All the one The fact is your metabolism raised for a sufficient time after resistance training to opposed to Aerobics ..... Think thast the point where trying to make Isn't It ???

I have a link on my page but Im not allowed to type it as I have been warned etc ... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

From basal metabolic rate on Wikipedia (crap source but it sites studies) -
    Anaerobic exercise — such as weight lifting — builds additional muscle mass, which is fat-free mass. Additional fat-free mass will lead to a higher resting metabolic rate
    Increasing muscle mass increases BMR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I wasn't picking at you ... I have read it in a few books (AthleticBodysystem) That's The effects can last up to 48 hours ....
    24 / 48 All the one The fact is your metabolism raised for a sufficient time after resistance training to opposed to Aerobics ..... Think thast the point where trying to make Isn't It ???

I have a link on my page but Im not allowed to type it as I have been warned etc ... :mad:

Yah I know ya weren't, soz if it came across that way. Shoulda used more dots... :D

Colly10, as I was saying there earlier there's a quantifiable amount of kcals used daily by each additional lb of muscle, so yup, it increases BMR.

I think I actually read it in Charles Statley's EDT book. Must have a look tonight when I'm upstairs.

• Advertisement

Zippidy wrote: »
    Thanks will take a look

I am doing all that and have lost 6kg in two months.

This is what confuses newcomers to fitness. Two people will tell you different things. How can weights possibly be better than 40minutes of good cardio for fat loss?

This website says to concentrate on cardio, that if fat loss is the main goal, cardio is way more important than weights: http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/cardio.htm

The Fact is That LDC (long Distance Cardio) Is one of the worst things for Fat loss . Yes you do burn fat in that 40 mins of running on a treadmill ,but that's it . you body becomes efficient at doing that same run every week or few days , At the end of the day LDC is endurance . Your actually training your body to burn less calories every time you go for a Long run etc . I believe a steady state run in the "Fat Burning Zone" for around 40 mins at 6 km burns on average 300 calories of fat . A lb of Fat contains 3000 calories . So you would have to do a hell of allot of running etc to burn any decent amount of fat .

Now resistance training . OK you burn Sugars While doing it , but you burn fat afterwards whilst repairing etc and the more muscle you have the more calories your going to burn whilst sitting on your couch. (HIGHER BMR)

With any Newbie looking to start Resistance training . They should Push / pull Before Isolating and again Perform big Compound Exercises (Dead lift , Squats, lunges, Bench Press, Dips,Chins) Try and master your body weight to start with (Push ups , Inverted row etc )

Summary Drop the long Cardio and Lift heavy and fast .... With as many Muscles being used at once as possible .

And diet needs to be pretty good (You cant out train a bad Diet unless your very very lucky ) Genetically :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Post above copied over to this thread at Zippidys request:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056130453

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi, I have heard great things about using fish oil supplements in your diet. I am tentatively getting back into training/ improving my diet etc. Can anyone recommend a good fish oil supplement. Capsule or liquid. Have taken cod liver oil on and off for a long time. But I believe fish oil is far superior. Would appreciate any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Deedsie wrote: »
    Have taken cod liver oil on and off for a long time. But I believe fish oil is far superior..

On this point I would say that isn't strictly true. The disadvantage of cod liver oil over regular fish oil is the high concentration of Vitamin A, which is probably the easiest vitamin to overdose with.

Given the limiting factor of high Vitamin A in cod liver oil, regular fish oil can be taken in larger amounts to yield higher doses of the n-3 (e.g. omega 3) fatty acids DHA and EPA, which possess anti-inflammatory properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

What is the difference between whey protein and whey protein isolate? And is it worth the extra fiver a tub?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Zymurgist wrote: »
    What is the difference between whey protein and whey protein isolate? And is it worth the extra fiver a tub?
    Thanks

The percentage of protein present in the tub.

The key thing to remember is that the actual protein be it a 35% concentrate or a 90% isolate is the same.

All that changes is that as a result of various methods they remove more of the lactose, fat etc.

Now IMO an honest 80% always offers the best value for money. It might have a few grams of fat per 100g and also a small amount of lactose but if you work it on a price per gram of protein the 80% will always or it should always be the best value available.

I know personally that I would always opt for the 80%.

BTW - I am surprised to see only a five euro difference between a wpc80 and a wpi90 - is it the same brand, same sized tub?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

The Guvnor wrote: »
    BTW - I am surprised to see only a five euro difference between a wpc80 and a wpi90 - is it the same brand, same sized tub?

I was just looking at Myprotein and the starting price for regular whey is €15 and the starting price for the isolate is €20.

I guess thats their smallest tub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

Hey,I want to try out some whey protein but im having trouble persuading people that its safe and i'm having some doubts myself.

I'd like to see better results from the training I do,but will there be much of a difference if I do take protein shakes? Like even after taking a months supply?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

A months supply are you for real Mate if your going on the protein you may set yourself a realistic target like 6 months or 12 months Muscle wont build that fast, It takes Time, Dedication, Diet, Drive, Consistency, Focus, Determination, & so on just be patient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Hey guys, starting out here and just wondering is Xédra -Cut XT any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

itsgrand wrote: »
    Hey,I want to try out some whey protein but im having trouble persuading people that its safe and i'm having some doubts myself.

I'd like to see better results from the training I do,but will there be much of a difference if I do take protein shakes? Like even after taking a months supply?

Thanks
    Definetely safe whey protein comes from cheese.For better results you need a solid workout program,a good diet,and time to recover. Whats your workout routine if you dont mind me asking?Whey protein at the end of the day is just protein its not a magic formula.Whey protein and protein from eggs and chicken etc are practically the same besides the rate it takes to digest.

jasonf9ace wrote: »
    Definetely safe whey protein comes from cheese.For better results you need a solid workout program,a good diet,and time to recover. Whats your workout routine if you dont mind me asking?Whey protein at the end of the day is just protein its not a magic formula.Whey protein and protein from eggs and chicken etc are practically the same besides the rate it takes to digest.

I don't really have a set workout routine yet but until I get a program I'm just working upper body one day ; Pull-ups,Push-ups,Sit-ups and a few different weight training exercises. Then I rest and do Lower body the other day ; Squats,Lunges and weighted excerises. Plus some Cardio an odd day to make sure I work my heart and lungs. I'm already in good shape but I've been working out more so now with my free time and I'm wondering would protein shakes really make a difference. I'm a bit sceptical of taking too much whey protein though after reading this ... http://www.completetrackandfield.com/effects-of-protein.html But then again it could be BS... you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Is it normal for bulkpowders.co.uk to take over a week to deliver ?

Switched to them to save some cash but the last people I used in the UK totalsupplements I think used to deliver within 3 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

I don't really have a set workout routine yet but until I get a program I'm just working upper body one day ; Pull-ups,Push-ups,Sit-ups and a few different weight training exercises. Then I rest and do Lower body the other day ; Squats,Lunges and weighted excerises. Plus some Cardio an odd day to make sure I work my heart and lungs. I'm already in good shape but I've been working out more so now with my free time and I'm wondering would protein shakes really make a difference. I'm a bit sceptical of taking too much whey protein though after reading this ... http://www.completetrackandfield.com/effects-of-protein.html But then again it could be BS... you never know
    A good place to start if your looking for a workout routine > http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/main.html pick one that suits you and your goals and make sure to pick a "whole body workouts and splits"and not "single muscle group workouts". I wouldnt listen to that crap imo. You should try to get as much protein from whole foods like lean meat,eggs milk nuts etc and try to eat 6 meals a day with protein in each.Me personnally i usually only drink shakes after a workout and maybe one during college.Shakes should only be used to bring you up to your daily protein requirments and for pwo. About 1-1.5g of protein per lbs should do.So lets say you way 160lbs then 160-240g of protein per day.Try to drink a gallon of water a day aswell.Sounds like alot but slowly build up to a gallon. Another great site i find is http://www.bodybuilding.com/ there supersite has tones of info on workouts & nutrition etc and there forums are great aswell with people just like you that have been through it all already who are glad to answer your questions :)

that routine website is really helpful! thanks jason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Anyone believe (from experience, preferably) ZMA really does anything? (even anything that doesn't have a carry over effect to training).
    Took it for a couple months a while back and since stopping I don't think anything's been different.
    Maybe I was less easily woken in the mornings though. Which is nice because my GF getting up before me and making noise usually robs me of at least an hour extra sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Anyone believe (from experience, preferably) ZMA really does anything? (even anything that doesn't have a carry over effect to training).
    Took it for a couple months a while back and since stopping I don't think anything's been different.
    Maybe I was less easily woken in the mornings though. Which is nice because my GF getting up before me and making noise usually robs me of at least an hour extra sleep.

It's basically just a zinc and magnesium supplement.

Zinc helps regulate cell growth, protein synthesis, energy metabolism, hormone levels (insulin and growth hormone). It works like an antioxidant, protects against fungal infections and helps maintain the proper concentration of vitamin E in the blood. It's really good for the immune system (helps with colds and sore throats from experience). Testosterone production is improved as a result and that's the main focus when they're marketing it.

Zinc deficiency can result in hair loss, diarrhea, poor night vision and wound-healing, wasting of body tissues, cognitive function, and hormonal function.

Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, and bones strong. It's also involved in energy metabolism, protein synthesis and production, releasing energy from muscle storage, and regulating body temperature.

Magnesium deficiency can result in confusion, disorientation, loss of appetite, depression, muscle contractions and cramps, tingling, numbness, abnormal heart rhythms, coronary spasm, and seizures.

ZMA is just zinc and magnesium sold in the one supplement.

Holland and Barrett sell ZMA for around 25 euro for 60 pills.

I got myself a pack of 100 pills of zinc and magnesium in Holland and Barrett yesterday for 6 euro.

Ya get me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cormacchesney

I've been swimming at quite a high level for over 10 years now, you need to set yourself a REALISTIC programme when it comes to weights, otherwise you'll be motivated for the first 2/3 months but then if your over training you'l grow bored of it very quickly cos you won't be getting the results your expecting, this will also be down to muscle fatigue and over training. You could try some pre workout supplements, they give you the right nutrients for muscle growth and they'll also give you a hugh busrt of energy before working out, I've been swearing by Jack 3 D for over a year now, theres a good deal with some crowd I found on facebook, trophy supps, there website is www.trophysupplements.ie, they've been quite helpful with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cormacchesney

I've been taking supplements for over 4 years now, I go through phases of just protein and then i'd mix in creatine, but for the last year I've been taking nitric oxide( jack3d and No-Xplode) I've found the difference remarkable, you go into the gym to do a workout and you find yourself completely pumped up and full of energy, I'd recommend anyone who hasn't tried it to give it a go, I usually mix the jack 3 d with creatine just to give it more potency and the resluts have been consistent, they have a deal on at the moment at www.trophysupplements.ie. where they'l give you jack3d and 500g of creatine for €50, i'm not sure if the deals still running but i got it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DARCHA22

Ignore that article, protein loading wtf!

Anyway you dont need a protein shake from your information, you would be wasting your money.

1. Get a training program(try "starting strenght" or "stronglifts 5x5")
    2. Access your diet
    3. Start working out really hard
    4. If your not getting enough protein from your diet then use Whey protein(whey shakes are powdered food nothing more than that) to fill in the nutritonal gaps in your diet.
    5. Get plenty of rest(thisis when you grow)
    6. DO your research and gain knowledge, dont listen to some of the idiots you come across in the gym. Here an example of what someone said to me a while back "Thinkin of doing the creatine, its the next step down from steroids"

I've been taking supplements for over 4 years now, I go through phases of just protein and then i'd mix in creatine, but for the last year I've been taking nitric oxide( jack3d and No-Xplode) I've found the difference remarkable, you go into the gym to do a workout and you find yourself completely pumped up and full of energy, I'd recommend anyone who hasn't tried it to give it a go, I usually mix the jack 3 d with creatine just to give it more potency and the resluts have been consistent, they have a deal on at the moment at www.trophysupplements.ie. where they'l give you jack3d and 500g of creatine for €50, i'm not sure if the deals still running but i got it last week.

Advertising your own company perhaps hmmmmmmm.

2 posts and both mention trophy supps.

Zymurgist wrote: »

Thanks

No its not worth teh extra fiver unless you have lactose issues, if you do then go for the Isolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭dicey1664

phd synegy, anyone tried it, would you reccomend it? looking to gain lean muscle, have been training for 2-3 years,would be my first supplement, any advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Rycn wrote: »
    It's basically just a zinc and magnesium supplement.

Zinc helps regulate cell growth, protein synthesis, energy metabolism, hormone levels (insulin and growth hormone). It works like an antioxidant, protects against fungal infections and helps maintain the proper concentration of vitamin E in the blood. It's really good for the immune system (helps with colds and sore throats from experience). Testosterone production is improved as a result and that's the main focus when they're marketing it.

Zinc deficiency can result in hair loss, diarrhea, poor night vision and wound-healing, wasting of body tissues, cognitive function, and hormonal function.

Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, and bones strong. It's also involved in energy metabolism, protein synthesis and production, releasing energy from muscle storage, and regulating body temperature.

Magnesium deficiency can result in confusion, disorientation, loss of appetite, depression, muscle contractions and cramps, tingling, numbness, abnormal heart rhythms, coronary spasm, and seizures.

ZMA is just zinc and magnesium sold in the one supplement.

Holland and Barrett sell ZMA for around 25 euro for 60 pills.

I got myself a pack of 100 pills of zinc and magnesium in Holland and Barrett yesterday for 6 euro.

Ya get me?

Haha, I get you. That's almost hard to believe (the ridiculous markup for combining the two), but a great tip nonetheless.

So I take it you do think it's a worthwhile supplement/s? Has your experience of it been noticeably good, like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Haha, I get you. That's almost hard to believe (the ridiculous markup for combining the two), but a great tip nonetheless.

So I take it you do think it's a worthwhile supplement/s? Has your experience of it been noticeably good, like?

Ah yea i'd definitely recommend it, it's not like i can feel the benefits particularly but i definitely feel some sort of testosterone increase relatedness thingy kinda since i started taking it, if you know what i mean :cool:

Advertisement