Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I've only 3 caffeine tabs left and exams dont start til Monday.
    Anyone know where i can pick some up in a bricks and mortar in Limerick UL side? I've tried a few healthshops and no luck
    Do Pharmacies sell them or anything similiar?
    Thanks
    J

Yeah any pharmacy should them. Pro plus or something like that.

Posting from UL now myself! Best of luck with the exams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

DARCHA22 wrote: »
    If you take this post workout, your telling me that 11grams of carbs is a bad thing.

28% carbs, sure i bet your own diet is at least 50% carbs.

And if your diet was 100%, you might have a spilt of 40% 40% 20%, so 11 grams of carbs from any source is not a problem.

I said you comment is ridiuclous, and it still is!

Ya havent a clue mate, 11 grams of carbs and its the end of the world, cop on!
    where did i say carbs are a bad thing or the end of the world?i eat nearly 500g of carbs a day(mostly low gi).Why buy one full of sugar when you can buy another the same price or even less with alot less sugar.Only time you need simple sugars is pwo so why consume sugar throughout the day by drinking shakes when theres no need?The essential amino acid ratio per 100g is quite low aswell compared to bulkpowders or myprotein.
    Whey Matrix Protein Animo Acid profile per 100g:
    L-Isoleucine* 3.6g
    L-Leucine* 6.1g
    L-Lysine 4.9g
    L-Methionine 1.2g
    L-Phenylalanine 1.8g
    L-Threonine 4.2mg
    L-Tryptophan .95g
    L-Valine* 3.4mg
    L-Arginine 1g
    L-Cystine 1.4g
    Glutamic Acid 10.7g
    L-Histidine 1g
    L-Proline 3.8g
    L-Tyrosine 1.6g
    L-Alanine 2.9g
    L-Aspartic Acid 6.4g
    L-Glycine 1g
    L-Serine 3g

My Protein/Bulkpowders essential amino acids
    • Alanine 5.0
    • Arginine 2.1
    • Aspartic Acid 11.0
    • Cystine 2.2
    • Glutamic Acid 18.1
    • Glycine 1.4
    • Histidine 1.7
    • Isoleucine* 6.4
    • Leucine* 10.6
    • Lysine 9.6
    • Methionine 2.2
    • Phenylalanine 3.0
    • Proline 5.5
    • Serine 4.6
    • Threonine 6.7
    • Tryptophan 1.4
    • Tyrosine 2.6
    • Valine* 5.9

The dude asked if it was good and i said in My Opinion its crap.If he still wishes to buy it then fair play thats his choice.He asked for an opinion and i gave him mine and in my eyes its crap.Just because you have a different opinion doesnt make mine ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DARCHA22

Janson .........i never said it was good, i said it was being sold by a reputable online supplier. you discounted it on how many carbs were in it, i argued that 11 grams of carbs shouldnt be the reason for making a decision on it, and that 11grams of carbs is nothing. Sure that would mean you would disagree on anyone taking a weight gainer. if that was the case BSN Syntha 6 wouldnt sell a single tub.

@JOHN CAPPA, yeh i agree, i know mobster from MT(and yourself, i dont i
    use this username but im a regular poster there), he is well clued up on everything so i wud take his word for it tbh

Janson .........i never said it was good, i said it was being sold by a reputable online supplier. you discounted it on how many carbs were in it, i argued that 11 grams of carbs shouldnt be the reason for making a decision on it, and that 11grams of carbs is nothing. Sure that would mean you would disagree on anyone taking a weight gainer. if that was the case BSN Syntha 6 wouldnt sell a single tub.

use this username but im a regular poster there), he is well clued up on everything so i wud take his word for it tbh
    Ya but the fact is many "reputable suppliers" still sell crap,no i discounted it on a number of factors one of the main being the likely hood of 11 grams of sugar per serving,the protein ratio and also the amount of essential amino acids.11gram of carbs are nothing for your daily nutrition but 11grams of carbs per serving of protein is too much in my opinion. No weight gainers are totally different.There specifically loaded with carbs to help people gain weight where as proteins can be used for a number of things(stay lean,build muscle,lose weight etc).Depends what peoples goals are really if they wish to take weight gainers or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

So who are you then?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Anybody know where I can get some 5-HTP in Dublin City?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Anybody know where I can get some 5-HTP in Dublin City?

Prescription only im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

I posted this in another thread but thought I would share for people not on the mailing list. Myprotein have 15% off everything today, you have to like their facebook page and a code will be posted on it at 5pm. Hopefully its the same for the Irish site as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

15% off everything at Myprotein if you like their facebook status.

They're gonna post the code at 5pm.

http://www.facebook.com/MyproteinUK?v=app_6009294086&ref=ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 ballybunionlad

So, I've read through the first 35 pages and the last 10. I don't really have much time to be reading the rest.

I'm thinking that maybe the 5lb tub of Banana Cream Whey from myprotein is the way to go.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with this?

Apologies if this has been answered in previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Just tried the ON whey crisp Marshmellow bars! Nom nom nom

heres the code for 15% off my protein happy supplementing:)
    FBMP13
    forgot to say it ends tonight at midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Lads/Ladies, anyone use Creating Ethyl Ester from myprotein? It says to take it 1 hour before workout and make sure you take it the same time everyday - I wok out at 7am and dont fancy waking up everyday at 6 to have some! any thoughts or what has worked for people or will I just avoid this one?

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    Lads/Ladies, anyone use Creating Ethyl Ester from myprotein? It says to take it 1 hour before workout and make sure you take it the same time everyday - I wok out at 7am and dont fancy waking up everyday at 6 to have some! any thoughts or what has worked for people or will I just avoid this one?

Take it watver time you want, any time of the day, every day. You decide how you want to take it and what wortks best for you.

Take it in the morining, or before/after workout or any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

jasonf9ace wrote: »
    heres the code for 15% off my protein happy supplementing:)
    FBMP13
    forgot to say it ends tonight at midnight

Just like to say thanks, wouldn't have known about this code other wise and would have paid a few quid more. Also, anyone know if the liquid flavour thing on Myprotein is any use? Just bought unflavoured protein there. Had the chocolate flavour from MyProtein before and it was grand. Got banana if thats any use

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Just like to say thanks, wouldn't have known about this code other wise and would have paid a few quid more. Also, anyone know if the liquid flavour thing on Myprotein is any use? Just bought unflavoured protein there. Had the chocolate flavour from MyProtein before and it was grand. Got banana if thats any use
    No problem pal good to know it saved someone else money aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A recently of a free sample, well its a full packet of 75 caps, of an amino supp,
    The blurb is a bit none descript, citing fat metabolising etc,

but the active ingredients are

L-Carnitine 150mg,Choline Bitartrate 115mg,Inositol 115mg,L-Methionine 115mg

Can anybody shed light on the uses of these?

I tried wiki, but for example I got this;
    "Although L-carnitine has been marketed as a weight-loss supplement, there is no scientific evidence to show that it improves weight loss; however, some studies show that oral carnitine reduces fat mass, increases muscle mass, and reduces fatigue. All of these effects may contribute to weight loss." [18]
    That is one of the most contradictory sentences ever. I know what he means that the weight is the same, but FFS that sounds ideal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

john_cappa wrote: »
    He is clued up on what is going on behind the scenes regarding the whole STC debacle 6 months back (yes that is still going on). There are webs of companies/protein powders caught up in this and eventually the stack of cards is gonna tumble and reveal who really is at fault.
    Sorry for dragging off topic, but what was/is the STC debacle?

theKramer wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging off topic, but what was/is the STC debacle?

Google

Mellor wrote: »
    A recently of a free sample, well its a full packet of 75 caps, of an amino supp,
    The blurb is a bit none descript, citing fat metabolising etc,

but the active ingredients are

L-Carnitine 150mg,Choline Bitartrate 115mg,Inositol 115mg,L-Methionine 115mg

Can anybody shed light on the uses of these?

I tried wiki, but for example I got this;

That is one of the most contradictory sentences ever. I know what he means that the weight is the same, but FFS that sounds ideal tbh.

Had a look on the aul Google there, cant make heads or tails of it meself.

Low dosage caps, looks useless to me

• Advertisement

Haven't taken it myself but there seemed to be alot of marketing done by supp companies of this last year, from what i remember (about a year since i read about it) it's a fat burner but from what i remember reading about it i couldn't quite grasp how it actually benefits fat loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's a single cap, they recomend 4 a day. I'm throwing back 9 or so. (not really that high a diose when you look at other products with the same ingrenients.
    Haven't taken it myself but there seemed to be alot of marketing done by supp companies of this last year, from what i remember (about a year since i read about it) it's a fat burner but from what i remember reading about it i couldn't quite grasp how it actually benefits fat loss.

As far as I can see, Cartinine is the only one that has any effect (helps/required for the metabolising of lipids), i'll finish off for the sake of that then screw it get some caffine, or cartinine only caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

methionine and carnitine are just regular amino acids. The other two ingredients, i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭midlands19

hey guys i am currentaly takeing pro x ellite form nutrition x as proteien 3 times a day . What pre training supplement could i take ? also views on creatiene?

main goal is to gain strength and some size .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Zippidy

Hi, this seems the most appropriate place to post this.

I am interested in taking a protein supplement. I have come here for opinions and advice.

Basically, my goal is to lose excess bodyfat (about 7 or 8kg) and get to approximately 69kg, but also to build my muscles and get some definition. I don't want to be a bodybuilder or anything, but I would like a good phisique. My main aim at the moment is to lose fat. To do that I am running a calorie deficit, doing cardio, and doing weights everyday (shoulder press, ab machine, leg press, arm curl, chest press). Emphasis is cardio though. My diet is pretty good and has lots of protein (average about 180g of protein a day) from meat. My food diary is here.

So I'm interested in protein supplements as I simply can't afford to keep buying so much meat and I'd like to maintain my protein intake.

I am looking for advice about the type of protein supplement I should buy, and how often/when I should take it. I looked early in the thread and saw this link for the Supplement Factory, but some of its internal links (for the protein section) don't work.

Could someone also recommend a tasty chocolate flavoured one?

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

before looking at any supplements I would strongly advice you to look at this website

http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/?p=864

if you want to lose the weight you gonna have create calories deficyt,lift heavy,cut out the junk food , etc

You should focus more on compound exercises like squats,deadlift,bench press etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Zippidy

before looking at any supplements I would strongly advice you to look at this website

http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/?p=864

Thanks will take a look
    if you want to lose the weight you gonna have create calories deficyt,lift heavy,cut out the junk food , etc

I am doing all that and have lost 6kg in two months.
    You should focus more on compound exercises like squats,deadlift,bench press etc

This is what confuses newcomers to fitness. Two people will tell you different things. How can weights possibly be better than 40minutes of good cardio for fat loss?

This website says to concentrate on cardio, that if fat loss is the main goal, cardio is way more important than weights: http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/cardio.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Zippidy wrote: »
    This website says to concentrate on cardio, that if fat loss is the main goal, cardio is way more important than weights: http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/cardio.htm

Would disagree with this, building muscle raises your BMR so your burning more calories all the time, not just when your excercising. I eat nothing but rubbish, 2 desserts isn't rare and the abs are still clearly visable, i'm in better shape now that when I played football competitively.
    Running just shrinks you all over, you loose everything including your definition, it's personal preference but like lifting it's not for everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

colly10 wrote: »
    Would disagree with this, building muscle raises your BMR so your burning more calories all the time, not just when your excercising. I eat nothing but rubbish, 2 desserts isn't rare and the abs are still clearly visable, i'm in better shape now that when I played football competitively.
    Running just shrinks you all over, you loose everything including your definition, it's personal preference but like lifting it's not for everyone

I can't think of the numbers off the top of my head, but I think your BMR stays elevated by 5-7% in the 24 hour period after a heavy weights workout, and each pound of muscle you add uses an additional 40kcals daily or something like that.

Open to correction on those numbers. I don't even remember where I saw it :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hanley wrote: »
    I can't think of the numbers off the top of my head, but I think your BMR stays elevated by 5-7% in the 24 hour period after a heavy weights workout, and each pound of muscle you add uses an additional 40kcals daily or something like that.

Open to correction on those numbers. I don't even remember where I saw it :/

Not that i can remember my sources either - but afaik, for the body to maintain that extra 1lb of muscle, it needs an extra 50ckals, whereas fat only needs 9kcals.

Winner obvious there like.

Unfortunatly for me, I could do with a bit more of both. Fooking marathons :pac:

Advertisement