Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Rycn wrote: »
    Cadburys Hot Chocolate should do the trick just mix in 2 teaspoons with your shake :) Its basically just cocao.

(Might be a bit lumpy, can't really remember tbh)
    Cheers I'll give it a go it's brutal stuff on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Cheers I'll give it a go it's brutal stuff on its own.

Yeah I have unflavored impact, use nesquik chocolate milk mix and it's grand - use like 4 teaspoons with 50-60g of protein

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Shane101

Hold your nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rycn wrote: »
    Cadburys Hot Chocolate should do the trick just mix in 2 teaspoons with your shake :) Its basically just cocao.

(Might be a bit lumpy, can't really remember tbh)
    it's actually mostly sugar, they do a cocao/bournville mix too thats cocao.

Also, doesn't mixing in something like that defeat the point of buying unflavoured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Mellor wrote: »

Also, doesn't mixing in something like that defeat the point of buying unflavoured?
    He ordered unflavoured by accident, he was meant to order chocolate mint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Mellor wrote: »

The other reason for ordering unflavored (which mine is) if you choose a **** flavor protein it can't be changed but when you order unflavored you can variate with flavored powders

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DARCHA22

Liam1010 wrote: »
    PhD Pharma whey is 80%

the label might say that but i think they were one of the recent companies that got a slap on the hand for false % on the label

Liam1010 wrote: »
    shill tastic....nothing like some friday night shilling

Liam1010 banned for spam

thats a bit harsh, i cant see anything wrong with his post??
    (except for the protein % for phd :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

DARCHA22 wrote: »
    thats a bit harsh, i cant see anything wrong with his post??
    (except for the protein % for phd :)

It was his first post on boards and he dropped a company name...it looks like spamming to me. Liam1010 is quite welcome to appeal the ban with me. If Liam1010 is genuine then i have no problem lifting the ban..

Also if you feel the need to question me please drop me a PM.

ah i see, ah your prob right.
    wasnt questioning you, just enquiring :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

What's people's opinion's of carb supplements, dextrose, maltodextrin, waxy maize starch etc. I'm thinking of getting some for pre/post workout shakes. Do you rate pre/post WO nutrition and is this the way to go about it.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    What's people's opinion's of carb supplements, dextrose, maltodextrin, waxy maize starch etc. I'm thinking of getting some for pre/post workout shakes. Do you rate pre/post WO nutrition and is this the way to go about it.

Cheers.

I have dextrose and maltodextrin from MP and use them in a PWO shake when im training intensely. I find them convient and good for recovery. Usually i would throw about 40g of each into a skaker, along with 40g protein, add water and get it down as soon as I can after training.

Im sure you could also get the carbs in from foods but for convience the powders are good.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Lads, can anyone recommend me a good tasting quality protein drink/shake for post training? (not too pushed on price if its decent)

Usn & Sci-MX any good for example?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

Im just wondering if anyone had experience of using Matrix whey protein from the supplement centre. I have being told to put on a bit of muscle for football, and although am doing a good bit of gym, need a little help! This one seems to fit into my price range. just wondering if its any good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5lb-WHEY-PROTEIN-MATRIX-POWDER-SHAKE-DRINK-STRAWBERRY-/250737898075?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item3a6124b25b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

has anyone any idea of what this Soya Protein Powder is like? It seems cheap enough for a post workout shake?

Holland & Barrett - 90 % Soya Protein Powder
    Instant natural 90% Soya Protein Powder provides an excellent source of protein needed for the growth and repair of tissues.

The protein is in an instant form of Soya Protein isolate highly nutritional and pleasant tasting which supplies the essential amino acids.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=228&prodid=249

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mark27

Hi, has anyone any experience with this product? Could it actually work? Was going to go ahead and order a two months supply

http://www.weightgainpackage.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

is there any difference between taking creatine in powder or tablet form? quicker absorbtion with the powder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

Hurler85 wrote: »
    Im just wondering if anyone had experience of using Matrix whey protein from the supplement centre. I have being told to put on a bit of muscle for football, and although am doing a good bit of gym, need a little help! This one seems to fit into my price range. just wondering if its any good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5lb-WHEY-PROTEIN-MATRIX-POWDER-SHAKE-DRINK-STRAWBERRY-/250737898075?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item3a6124b25b
    Aload of crap in my opinion 11g of carbs per serving is way too much and more than likely nearly all of that is sugar id recommend http://www.myprotein.com/IE/products/impact-whey-protein or http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/ each serving of that matrix stuff is 40g where as the other 2 are 30g so should work out at around the same price. If you want to add on size you should eat more carbs. These are just supplements at the end of the day not magic so nothing beats whole foods for your daily protein needs like(chicken cottage cheese milk nuts lean meat etc) A good nutrition and a good program and you should see some nice results. Heres some workout programs if you want to take a look http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/main.html

Mark27 wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone any experience with this product? Could it actually work? Was going to go ahead and order a two months supply

Have never tryed it but most of these kind of supplements are full of crap there to just empty your bank account imo. Only supplements that i find that work for me are whey protein creatine and fish oils. The key to gaining weight is eating more calories than you actually burn.Up your protein intake but more importantly up your Carb intake aswell if you want to gain weight(low gi carbs like brown bread pasta oats etc)If you plan on gaining weight eat like a horse and eat some more. Once you have your nutrition on track and a solid workout you should see the pounds of muscle piling on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

The website is full of misspellings, the "clinical trial" is just a list of largely unrelated scientific journal papers.

The active ingredients are cleverly disguised to sound scientific but seem to be just maltodextrin (listed as Dextrin), maltodextrin (listed as Glucose polymers), Glucose (listed as stach hydrosylates) and Creatine (listed as 2-(carbamimidoyl-methyl-amino)acetic acid). So basically its just a load of sugar with some creatine in it.

Save yourself the cash.

• Advertisement

AVOID like the plague!
    Typical site that sells sh!t

jasonf9ace wrote: »
    Aload of crap in my opinion 11g of carbs per serving is way too much

Really? I doubt it 11 grams of carbs is nothing, only pro bodybuilders would be interested in a measly few carbs in a shake before a contest and even at that they would only use isolate. ridiculous comment.

proteinstop.co.uk sell it and i have heard they are a reputable website/online seller

Really? I doubt it 11 grams of carbs is nothing, only pro bodybuilders would be interested in a measly few carbs in a shake before a contest and even at that they would only use isolate. ridiculous comment.
    Ridulous comment really?11g of carbs per serving is 28% carbs and id bet its 11 grams of sugar at that.Most reliable whey protein concentrates contain 2 - 4g of carbs (on whey = 4g bulkpowders 2.1g my protein impact whey =1.8g)30gram servings from either the 3 mentioned have around 24g of protein where as that matrix stuff 24g of protein = 40g(1 serving).Let me brake that down further for you any of the 3 proteins mentioned = about 82% protein whereas matrix = 59% protein.If you like drinking down 11grams of carbs of probably sugar with each shake then thats your choice.

Ridulous comment really?11g of carbs per serving is 28% carbs and id bet its 11 grams of sugar at that.Most reliable whey protein concentrates contain 2 - 4g of carbs (on whey = 4g bulkpowders 2.1g my protein impact whey =1.8g)30gram servings from either the 3 mentioned have around 24g of protein where as that matrix stuff 24g of protein = 40g(1 serving).Let me brake that down further for you any of the 3 proteins mentioned = about 82% protein whereas matrix = 59% protein.If you like drinking down 11grams of carbs of probably sugar with each shake then thats your choice.

If you take this post workout, your telling me that 11grams of carbs is a bad thing.

28% carbs, sure i bet your own diet is at least 50% carbs.

And if your diet was 100%, you might have a spilt of 40% 40% 20%, so 11 grams of carbs from any source is not a problem.

I said you comment is ridiuclous, and it still is!

Ya havent a clue mate, 11 grams of carbs and its the end of the world, cop on!

AND protein blends always have more carbs, so if someone wants a blend with low or no carbs there aint many out there, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Some discussions here on this and similar products....

http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/protein/120233-whey-68-10kg.html

Avoid like the plague IMO

john_cappa wrote: »
    Some discussions here on this and similar products....

http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/protein/120233-whey-68-10kg.html

Avoid like the plague IMO

If "MOBSTER" says avoid then i would take his advice, he is in the supplements business himself so he would know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Hi Guys,
    I've only 3 caffeine tabs left and exams dont start til Monday.
    Anyone know where i can pick some up in a bricks and mortar in Limerick UL side? I've tried a few healthshops and no luck
    Do Pharmacies sell them or anything similiar?
    Thanks
    J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

If "MOBSTER" says avoid then i would take his advice, he is in the supplements business himself so he would know.

Well he owns the whey consortium so some people might say he is biased to protect his own market share. I assure you that this is not his motive.

He is clued up on what is going on behind the scenes regarding the whole STC debacle 6 months back (yes that is still going on). There are webs of companies/protein powders caught up in this and eventually the stack of cards is gonna tumble and reveal who really is at fault.

Advertisement