Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

rocky wrote: »
    200 ml in whey at once is too much

oh right so 70ml per serving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

that's what I normally take

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mack32

Well the title says it all really, just wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether zma is less effective in the morning, I ask because Ive always heard of it taken at night to enhance sleep etc but I find that it gives me fairly crazy dreams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

mack32 wrote: »
    Well the title says it all really, just wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether zma is less effective in the morning, I ask because Ive always heard of it taken at night to enhance sleep etc but I find that it gives me fairly crazy dreams...

Any time of the day is fine but you only need to take it if your not getting enough magnesium or zinc through your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

stecleary wrote: »
    i was thinking its a water scoop alright but i had a dig around and there is no other scoop in the tub.
    if normal scoops are 70 ml its not too big a problem as a full 200ml scoop aint far off 210ml(70x3)
    rocky wrote: »
    200 ml in whey at once is too much
    oh right so 70ml per serving?

Usually you would be advised to have a mix ratio of anywhere from 1:6 to 1:10 in terms of powder to water.

30grams would be mixed with on average somewhere from 150-250mls water/milk etc. less liquid = thicker shake.

It's important stecleary to talk about the whey in grams not 'ml'. 70ml as Rocky said could be 30g even if only 25g then IMO 75g whey in 200mls water is almost a paste consistency.

Within reason more fluids the better. I do remember back in the 90's having some Twinlab Gainers Fuel - 600grams powder in one serving! Even less liquid! :eek: I never met anyone who managed to mix let alone drink this shake!:D

• Advertisement

i was thinking its a water scoop alright but i had a dig around and there is no other scoop in the tub.
    if normal scoops are 70 ml its not too big a problem as a full 200ml scoop aint far off 210ml(70x3)

Just to add - I've never heard of any company giving out a water scoop - especially if you have or they do a shaker.

BTW - 3 x 200ml scoops would be about 275g of whey. Me no science master but can 275g of powder be properly mixed in 200mls of liquid?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Cheers man, iv never used supplements before so its all new to me, there is deffo on one scoop in the tub and it is measuered in ml thats added to my confusion as i thought it should be in gms. things are becoming a little clarer now, i have measuring spoons at home so il use them instead of the scoop that ame with it

The biggest scoop I've come across recently in a non weight gainer was 130ml and it's hefty - 60grams of whey fits in this.

Have you a kitchen weigh scale accurate to even 5 grams? Dead handy - I always weigh my whey - no real reason just a habit.

There is some great info here I'm sure in the FAQ sections.

Are you taking for now just the whey or other items?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Just got some Nutrition X Strawberry Big Whey. It tastes nice and mixes well in case anyone's wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Yes_Man

What are the best places to buy protein, in terms of value for money? Either online or in store im open to either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 THE BUL

Discountsupplements.ie noe have web prices equal to their shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

Wow, this thread is loong and pretty fragmented. I had a scour through 15/20 pages but haven't really been able to find out what I think I want to know, so will ask it here :)

28-M-6.1-185lbs

I'm down from 220lbs to 185lbs over the course of 18 months but seem to have hit a plateau in terms of weight loss. I've been in and around the same for the past few months, give or take an additional pound here or there. My diet is reasonably good, though I'm sure it could be better. My intake in terms of junk food is pretty minimal and I'm managing to keep my sweet tooth under control as best I can. I've never fully/properly mapped my diet out but I would guess that it's probably a little to heavy on the carb side if I was to analyse it.

My exercise is fairly regular:
    > 1 hour of 7-a-side football a week;
    > 1 or 2 5k runs (24 min);
    > 1 8/9k run (39/45 min), and;
    > 1 cycle at the weekend, usually in the region of 80-120k but occasionally up to 160k

Two main changes I'm trying to make in terms of diet are to cut out the 11 o'clock scone, and today I've bought some whey protein (first time using) to take as a post-exercise drink to ensure that I'm putting the right sort of stuff in as opposed to the wrong sort.

So, to eventually get there, my main aim in the use of whey protein will be to aid in weight loss and to break through the plateau I've been at for the last while. Will it help? My aim/goal is about another 10lbs off. I need to be lighter on the bike :D

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DARCHA22

Yes_Man wrote: »
    What are the best places to buy protein, in terms of value for money? Either online or in store im open to either

Most of these are UK(better choice of products) and all reputable suppliers.

Echo supplements (one of the cheapest for brand stuff)
    Predator Nutrition
    MuscleFinesse (10% off on Tuesdays see here www.muscletalk.co.uk)
    Bodybuildingwarehouse
    My protein
    Bulk Powders
    HP Nutrition (irish, quiet cheap)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DARCHA22

Plastik wrote: »
    Wow, this thread is loong and pretty fragmented. I had a scour through 15/20 pages but haven't really been able to find out what I think I want to know, so will ask it here :)

28-M-6.1-185lbs

I'm down from 220lbs to 185lbs over the course of 18 months but seem to have hit a plateau in terms of weight loss. I've been in and around the same for the past few months, give or take an additional pound here or there. My diet is reasonably good, though I'm sure it could be better. My intake in terms of junk food is pretty minimal and I'm managing to keep my sweet tooth under control as best I can. I've never fully/properly mapped my diet out but I would guess that it's probably a little to heavy on the carb side if I was to analyse it.

My exercise is fairly regular:
    > 1 hour of 7-a-side football a week;
    > 1 or 2 5k runs (24 min);
    > 1 8/9k run (39/45 min), and;
    > 1 cycle at the weekend, usually in the region of 80-120k but occasionally up to 160k

Two main changes I'm trying to make in terms of diet are to cut out the 11 o'clock scone, and today I've bought some whey protein (first time using) to take as a post-exercise drink to ensure that I'm putting the right sort of stuff in as opposed to the wrong sort.

So, to eventually get there, my main aim in the use of whey protein will be to aid in weight loss and to break through the plateau I've been at for the last while. Will it help? My aim/goal is about another 10lbs off. I need to be lighter on the bike :D

Thanks

Weigth loss is all dependant on calorie expenditure, and total daily calories you take in.

calculate how many calories you need each day, then eat 500 cals less a day and you will lose weight.

Swapping a scone for a few shake isnt gonna do anything, your just swapping calories for calories essentially, but do get rid of the scone as they are crap and most have no nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

DARCHA22 wrote: »
    calculate how many calories you need each day, then eat 500 cals less a day and you will lose weight.

Bean's "set point/fat point" theory suggests a reduction in 15% of daily calories. Use the Harris-Benedict method to find out your daily calorie expenditure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭J Bourke

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Just got some Nutrition X Strawberry Big Whey. It tastes nice and mixes well in case anyone's wondering.

x2

It says on the bottle to mix 200ml of water with 40g of whey which i did for my PWO. Is this sufficient because the shake seems kinda small? :o

With whey you can always adjust the amount you take to suit your lifestyle/weight etc. some may be fine with 1 scoop whereas others would take 2 etc.

Just be sure to double the liquid if doubling up on the powder.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Yes_Man

Saw a good offer on sci-mx grs-5 protein system today. Just wondering has anyone used it before or had experience with it, whats the verdict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Just be sure to double the liquid if doubling up on the powder.:)

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

discus wrote: »
    Why?

Because itll be like sludge otherwise ha, unless you want to mix it up like Angel Delight :D

• Advertisement

Pretty much what gymsoldier said.
    Never a bad thing to add a bit more fluid intake to your diet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Anybody have a referal code for myprotein.com they would like to share?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Anybody have a referal code for myprotein.com they would like to share?

This one's mine dude - MP125520

Feel free to use if no one else has hit you up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

got my first tub of protein powder today, had two today, but i feel liek im gonna puke at any minute. holding it down, this a natural reaction and my stomach/body will adapt? doesnt taste bad but its not sitting well at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

how much did you have?

df1985 wrote: »
    got my first tub of protein powder today, had two today, but i feel liek im gonna puke at any minute. holding it down, this a natural reaction and my stomach/body will adapt? doesnt taste bad but its not sitting well at all....

It's not at all normal mate. Do you feel bloated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

yeah it felt like my stomach was basically struggling to digest it. had some today though and no problems.

Hard to say then.

I was going to say it could have been you struggling with the amount of lactose that was present.

If however today you are fine they best explanation could just be that you and your body were having a bit of an off day, if that makes sense?

Best thing to do is monitor it for the duration and see if it happens again and make a note at the time of whether you mixed it with milk/water and how much powder you used.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Hey guys! Anyone know a cheaper place to get ON Gold Standard Whey other than FSV?? They do it for E88 + delivery. Have been taking MP Impact whey for a while now and they've put up the price quite a bit + I never liked it anyway, got unflavoured by accident 5kg's of it :mad:.

• Advertisement

Hey Fred,

Best thing to do with the unflavoured mate is buy a tub of flavoured and add the unflavoured to it.

You can do a half n half and this way you still get a flavoured shake, maybe not as strong in some cases nicer and the unflavoured tastes a lot nicer!

Advertisement