Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Sangre wrote: »
    €75 for what? Whey? Ouch!

http://www.maximuscle.ie/progain

Everywhere in Galway it's €49.99 per 2kg tub.

Just giving people a heads up in case they're paying over the odds that's all;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Cool thanks for the thread. I have seen the ads on tv but wasn't sure if it would apply to the new galway shop. Where excatly is it?

I think maximuscle is crazy expensive, though 4 kg for 75euro, would def make it tempting to try it out.

I am pretty sure that they stock meridian peanut butter. 100% peanuts, 0salt, 0 sugar, amazing stuff :D

JJayoo wrote: »
    I think maximuscle is crazy expensive, though 4 kg for 75euro, would def make it tempting to try it out.

I am pretty sure that they stock meridian peanut butter. 100% peanuts, 0salt, 0 sugar, amazing stuff :D

Remember it's that deal on EVERYTHING in the shop, so not just limited to what I bought. So plenty of savings to be made on all sorts.
    Cool thanks for the thread. I have seen the ads on tv but wasn't sure if it would apply to the new galway shop. Where excatly is it?

It's on Shop Street, in between Easons and Boots, can't miss it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

I hope they do, savage stuff it is!
    Col200sx wrote: »
    I put this in here as there's plenty us gym-goers would benefit from this.

In the Holland & Barrett in Galway (not sure about other shops elsewhere), there's buy-one-get-cheaper-item-half-price.

So I've just stocked up on Maximuscle products at a very reasonable rate, €75 for 2 2kg tubs instead of the usual €50 each.

Still an absolute rip off for a weightgainer supplement!

Compare it to MHP Up Your Mass and there is no contest between the two
    http://www.amnutrition.ie/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=49

Up your mass has a better amount of protein, carbs, fibre and a less amount of saturated fat. It still has 60 more calories and it is a bigger tub. Costs €30 per tub from the link above which also is Galway based. You can save yourself a bit of cash and get a much better quality product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

My days of paying 70 odd Euro for whey are long gone. I pay 36 for a 4.5 kg bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

My days of paying 70 odd Euro for whey are long gone. I pay 36 for a 4.5 kg bag.

Where do you buy your whey from?

I am trying that body supreme stuff from Argos at the mo(got some vouchers and said what the hell) but it's muck!!

MHP Up Your Mass has only 17 servings per tub, so if taken just once a day I would have to purchase two tubs per month :eek:.

I don't get this mass gainer bullsh1t, I mean how hard is it to mix your whey with some milk and honey, or blend it up in milk with a tablespoon of peanut butter, cottage cheese, banana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭TrueMass

cookerj wrote: »

Whey appears to be pushed by the media for 1 very large reason: whey is a by-product of dairies which they have problems dumping, that's why so many dairies make sports supplements. Casein is more expensive for manufacturers aswell.

Anyone else into casein here?

Please get your facts straight. Whey is a by product of Cheese manufacture, there is no problem dumping it as it is a very valuable commodity - Maybe you should read Glanbia's annual report. It is also used in Baby food - as a key ingredient, yoghurt for a stabiliser (low grade WPC35), Ice creams also.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with Casein, it is also a very good protein. Whey still has the highest biological value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Might try and pick up some vitamins/supps/nuts etc., with this offer if they're good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 mcwilliams

Im doing alot of cardio and weights in order to bun fat and also gain muscle mass. I'm taking 40g of whey after each workout and the rest of my diest is in order.

How long should it be before I notice a gain in muscle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 BrthzDublin

i'd say a proper dose is 2g of proteins per each 1kg of your body.
    example: 160g daily rate for 80kg healthy man.

Muscle gain process is taking months..nothing is wonder in this sport.

Fair enough guys, I only put up the thread as a heads up on items you can get cheap, not to debate which is the better items to consume:p

It suited me, so I bought some stuff, if it doesn't suit others, don't shop there, simple:)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

is it any use?

it was the first supplement i used when i started lifting seriously. it worked for me but i've steered clear of maxi muscle since cos it's pricey. may revisit it as a lot of rugby teams seem to be using it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

I've just started using MaxiMuscle ProGain, and I do seem to have more energy in the gym. As everyone says, it's expensive, can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative / good brand??

Thanks,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

JonnyF wrote: »
    is it any use?

it was the first supplement i used when i started lifting seriously. it worked for me but i've steered clear of maxi muscle since cos it's pricey. may revisit it as a lot of rugby teams seem to be using it

Now €39.99/tub in bodytrim Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tony Sopranoe

squod wrote: »
    Now €39.99/tub in bodytrim Navan.
    Still a rip off at that price and plenty of cheaper alternatives out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Myprotein hurricane, same product pretty much. cheaper, also theres a 5% discount in my sig :D, also buying in bulk gets very cheap, shippings low aswell /shill :D
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/protein-supplements/hurricane-evo-(4lb)/

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Still a rip off at that price and plenty of cheaper alternatives out there.

what would you recommend? i've used generic creatine and protein to this point so willing to take pointers

No man its a great thread, i will def be paying a visit during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Jason1984 wrote: »
    Where do you buy your whey from?

I am trying that body supreme stuff from Argos at the mo(got some vouchers and said what the hell) but it's muck!!

Online from myprotein.co.uk

• Advertisement

No man its a great thread, i will def be paying a visit during the week.

Remember the deal expires on the 18th, so that's Thursday;)
    Online from myprotein.co.uk

How much delivery are you paying for items? Expensive is it? (considering many items are bulky)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jambi

Col200sx wrote: »
    myprotein.co.uk
    How much delivery are you paying for items? Expensive is it? (considering many items are bulky)

delivery is £4.95 for up to 26kg

works out around €60 for 5kg (flavoured) Impact Whey Protein delivered to your door

Unflavoured Impact Whey Protein 4.54kg for around €43 delivered

MHP Up Your Mass has only 17 servings per tub, so if taken just once a day I would have to purchase two tubs per month :eek:.

I don't get this mass gainer bullsh1t, I mean how hard is it to mix your whey with some milk and honey, or blend it up in milk with a tablespoon of peanut butter, cottage cheese, banana.

Progain has only 16 funnily enough!

Its convenience really to have a already made gainer shake. It would drive me mad having to make up a shake like that at 6am in the morning before work...probably two of them realistically.
    With gainers they usually (well with the good one's) have a higher grade of amino acids (leucine, glutamine etc) and a complex amount of carbs which is unlike a shake made with banana/honey/milk. If your just looking for calories then you can throw anything in but your more likely to put on a bit more bf% than you would normally prefer. I suppose with a shake like the MHP one it just takes the guesswork out of it all.

probably two of them realistically

If your having two shakes a day you would need 4 tubs a month, Thats 120euro a month:eek:, Im clearly reading this wrong, thats just insane

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Recently started doing weights at home and looking to buy supplements to help me improve faster.

1, Looking to lose weight and Lean up should I take Casein and Protein shake? is that all in one?

Amino Acid tablets should i take them too?

I am trying to break my workout down so I work a different body part every day, how many days a week should i do?

I have changed my diet to eat my meat and veg and less carbs bread spuds and the like as well as trying to get off the faty stuff any advise?

If your having two shakes a day you would need 4 tubs a month, Thats 120euro a month:eek:, Im clearly reading this wrong, thats just insane

bulking is expensive mate :p

usually you would bulk for max 8 weeks so its max 240 for your term.
    still works out at under €2 a meal which in that perspective is great value. Probably work out the same if your making your own.
    If you want an ultimate shake then its up your mass plus milk plus natural peanut butter - well over a 1000calories, tastes decent too!

Was in H&B today, awful expensive for a lot of products but that's expected since it's on shop street, their rent would be huge!
    With buy 1 get 1 1/2 price i got two tubs of the Meridian peanut butter, worked out at €10.18. In evergreen I think its €5.50 a tub.

Oh and USN Protein IGF 2kg tub - €60!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 BrthzDublin

preddy wrote: »
    Recently started doing weights at home and looking to buy supplements to help me improve faster.

1, Looking to lose weight and Lean up should I take Casein and Protein shake? is that all in one?

Amino Acid tablets should i take them too?

I am trying to break my workout down so I work a different body part every day, how many days a week should i do?

I have changed my diet to eat my meat and veg and less carbs bread spuds and the like as well as trying to get off the faty stuff any advise?

Think the best and cheapest source of casein is cottage cheese.

2days workout like m-day,t-day,wednesday off,then thursday and firday back to workout.Tried separated parts training but wasn't effective.
    Best for me is same part twice a week in 50% max.Fat is burning.
    To help burning a fat i suggest u to drink a cup of a strong ground coffee 30mins b4 workout.Better power and motivation during training.

Better than aminos are BCAA.U can try on eggs proteins (rich source of aminoacids) on the morning.For 100kg weight person is good to get 9whites and one whole egg.yolks throw away.won't be so good tastin scrambled egg but works as it should be.btw.yolks are source of unecessary fats incl.cholesterol.

Best meats for u are:fish,chicken and beef.don't fry'em just cook on steam or drop into oven with veges.

Forgot:You still need fat.But only fat you need is Olive oil or lineseed oil.take 'bout spoonful to every meal.

EDIT:do not eat white bread at all.only wholegrain or seed one.seen in lidl sunflower bread.good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Anyone know of any protein powders that are 3rd party tested? Apart from MyProtein if that is..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I was just told that its better to drink low fat milk with weight gain supplements, sounds like bullsh.it to me, but I wouldnt know any better.

So, question is, which is better to drink with weight gain supplements? low fat, or regular?

Advertisement