Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I need to look into the study more but honestly everything is bad for you according to the news. I eat a lot of red meat and eggs. Cancer waiting to happen according to the news! Always be wary of sensationalism.

Yes and we take creatine in through meat sources. Does that mean I should cut back on my meat consumption so my creatine levels can settle back to "normal" levels? Just because something is created in your body doesn't mean it has to be cycled.

whenever i see a study referenced in the news i try search for the study itself for clarity. Ohio State seems to have done a lot of studies on omega3, so its worth taking note.

there is a huge difference between slightly raising creatine levels eating meat, and keeping them at max levels through supplementation. generally it is said that red meat has 1g creatine per lb. quite a difference to ingesting 5g per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

whenever i see a study referenced in the news i try search for the study itself for clarity. Ohio State seems to have done a lot of studies on omega3, so its worth taking note.

there is a huge difference between slightly raising creatine levels eating meat, and keeping them at max levels through supplementation. generally it is said that red meat has 1g creatine per lb. quite a difference to ingesting 5g per day.

I can't see any negatives of having elevated creatine levels even if it is by means of supplements. It's probably the most studied supplement in the world and is regarded safe and beneficial by the vast majority of people who have looked into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Would intense exercise not deplete the bodies store of creatine? thus cycling the amount of creatine in the body on a daily basis, if a person was exercising daily?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Does anyone else experience v slight nausea when taking creatine.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Would intense exercise not deplete the bodies store of creatine? thus cycling the amount of creatine in the body on a daily basis, if a person was exercising daily?

yes it does, but id say most people would have at least 2 rest days from intensive exercise per week, and taking creatine on rest days would compensate somewhat.

• Advertisement

yes it does, but id say most people would have at least 2 rest days from intensive exercise per week, and taking creatine on rest days would compensate somewhat.

Would most people not just have 1 days of rest? I assumed that was the general trend for people into fitness. The 3 times a week deal. Anyway why take it on rest days when its plummeted? Surely taking it workout days makes more sense to maintain a stable level after they take a hit... Though I still maintain keep levels high without cycling is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

stuchyg wrote: »
    Does anyone else experience v slight nausea when taking creatine.

Yeah I dd before, very frequently. I swapped brand and it got slightly better and I eventually halved the amount I was taking (from 5g to 2.5g) a day and it cleared up.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Would most people not just have 1 days of rest? I assumed that was the general trend for people into fitness. The 3 times a week deal. Anyway why take it on rest days when its plummeted? Surely taking it workout days makes more sense to maintain a stable level after they take a hit... Though I still maintain keep levels high without cycling is best.

some confusion here.... 2 rest days per week, a 3 or 4 day split. personally its 5 straight mon to fri, resting sat & sun.

if training intensively creatine should be taken every day (during cycle or not), rest days are perfect time to top up before next workout.

some confusion here.... 2 rest days per week, a 3 or 4 day split. personally its 5 straight mon to fri, resting sat & sun.

if training intensively creatine should be taken every day (during cycle or not), rest days are perfect time to top up before next workout.

Ah ok I get you.

But why only take it everyday if doing intense work? Intense work will deplete it more alright but essentially by taking it everyday you'll be topping up to 100%. If say you have 80% levels from non intensive exercise and you take the same amount it's not like you store more than 100%. You're body will just remove the part that's left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Creatine=something that people over complicate.

Take 3-6 grams ish per day. Everyday (if u miss a day it's no prob). Take it any time. Mixed with anything.

Simples.

• Advertisement

john_cappa wrote: »
    Creatine=something that people over complicate.

Take 3-6 grams ish per day. Everyday (if u miss a day it's no prob). Take it any time. Mixed with anything.

Simples.

If it's a leap year would you take it on 366th day or cycle off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

anyone know somewhere I can purchase Flaxseed oil in Bulk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

most I've seen is 250ml jars, best off bulk buying seeds. They're tasty. Good fibre and lignans and ALA's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Zombienosh wrote: »
    most I've seen is 250ml jars, best off bulk buying seeds. They're tasty. Good fibre and lignans and ALA's.

If you are buying flax seed try and find milled/crushed flax seed or else give the flax seed a quick blend. The human body isn't very efficient at breaking down the outer layer so you will just poop it out.

I've noticed also bulkpowders and the protein works sell flax powders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've noticed also bulkpowders and the protein works sell flax powders.

I got it cheaper in Holland & Barrett

KTRIC wrote: »

That sentence has probably never been said before.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

KTRIC wrote: »

:eek:

First time in history anyone's ever said that

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Folks, I'm looking for a good recovery drink.. I'm in the gym 3-5 times a week doing weights and doing pre-season cardio twice a week.. I use BSN No-Xplode a pre gym workout and USN Protein after the gym...

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

ColmH81 wrote: »
    Folks, I'm looking for a good recovery drink.. I'm in the gym 3-5 times a week doing weights and doing pre-season cardio twice a week.. I use BSN No-Xplode a pre gym workout and USN Protein after the gym...

Just eat a banana with your protein shake and you should be good!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Has anyone here any experience with Bacopa Monnieri? Or any other nootropics?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

xgtdec wrote: »
    Just eat a banana with your protein shake and you should be good!!

Legend.. Ta..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Elverys are still doing the buy one get Half Price online on protein deal.

They have the 10lb ON bags at 96euro. So its 156 for 10 lbs.

Edit: OOps that 20Lbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

DM would that not be 20lbs for the €156?
    That is in all fairness a cracking deal at least I think it for ON?
    Just did a re-work it would be €144 for 20lbs. :D
    Pretty much cost price or even a bit less imo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Guys, would there be any benefit to using creatine if you're doing sets of 8-12? Someone at work mentioned you need to be doing sets of 4-6 with very heavy weights to get any benefit from it. I know I've already asked quite a few questions so I hope ye don't mind.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You're really overthinking creatine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I agree. Just focus on getting stronger and getting enough protein and you'll be grand.

As an aside: I've been using coconut oil for about a year, recently I decided to splash out and buy a higher quality brand, about 13 euro for a 450g jar instead of the usual 3.50 for a 350g jar I usually got, with the more expensive one being virgin coconut oil as opposed to just plain coconut oil which I had been buying previously.

So I was taking a teaspoon in the mornings with my coffee (separate, also blended tp try both. The problem is it gives me really bad stomach cramps nearly immediately after eating it and now the smell makes me want to puke. My girlfriend starting cooking with it recently as she likes the taste and is pretty health conscious too but I just can't stomach the smell or the taste. Is this just my bad luck or is there something I'm doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I remember a chap saying to me about an oxygen product will only use it on my 280kg sets - response was - it only works above 300kg. LoL

Creatine is a staple - affordable but nothing miraculous imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I tend to overthink things. Good for interviews, not so much for everyday stuff.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I tend to overthink things. Good for interviews, not so much for everyday stuff.

Maybe this will help - Supplements part 1 / Supplements part 2

Remember the easiest way to sell supplements is to make the application of them seem really complicated.

Advertisement