Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

dahat wrote: »
    5/6 % i think,slight yes but is it a few euro cheaper to get unflavoured,how stink is it?
    Flavour doesn't bother me as i can skull the shake but if it tastes like wet sawdust that is just too much
    The percentage of protein will drop but the amount won't.

If you take out two scoops of protein. Lets say 50 grams of powder which has 40 g of protein (assuming perfect wpc 80). No matter what you add to flavour it you will always be getting 40 g of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

The ma brought home an ice cream maker from work. Made use of the casein protein I've got here and made chocolate casein protein ice cream.

Find it very difficult to drink casein shakes, so this I'll see how this goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Dathai wrote: »
    The ma brought home an ice cream maker from work. Made use of the casein protein I've got here and made chocolate casein protein ice cream.

I'm not a fan of pure casein either, but I like casein & whey blends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Throw it in a blender with a frozen banana and milk . Chocolate milkshake mmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just had a shake of TPW Milk Choc Coconut. Much nicer then MP impact or true whey versions. DELISH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Might be of interest for a few here from Ironscience.

Discount Code: VATFREE

http://www.ironscience.co.uk/proteinpowder/wheyproteinconcentrate.html

£45 for 5kg of flavoured whey ain't bad after the code.

shipping seems expensive but Parcel Motel may be an option.

Also: this thread turned 4 years old the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Any of ye buy the casein protein from either MyProtein or BulkPowders? If so which would you recommend? They both seem to have two types IIRC.

Used the last of the ON one I had here. Don't fancy forking out the blips for it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Any of ye buy the casein protein from either MyProtein or BulkPowders? If so which would you recommend? They both seem to have two types IIRC.

Used the last of the ON one I had here. Don't fancy forking out the blips for it again.

I only ever bought Milk Protein Smooth from myprotein. It tasted okay in chocolate.

They have Micellar Casein now. its 15% off with MCASEIN. Never had it though and haven't bought from them in ages due to shipping fiasco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Never had it though and haven't bought from them in ages due to shipping fiasco

I ordered from myprotein on Thursday, arrived yesterday. Perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Anybody used profusion mass. My lil bro is looking to gain some weight and was thinking of this for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Bulk Powders: Complete Mass 5kg
    or
    Serious Mass 5kg

Which would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Here's a question: Are Nitric Oxide boosting (arginine) supplements cumulative or immediate in action? In other words, for say Animal Pump, should I be taking it even on off days, like creatine, so my body builds up a supply? Or is it purely something which is absorbed and used immediately following taking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

srumball wrote: »
    Bulk Powders: Complete Mass 5kg
    or
    Serious Mass 5kg

Which would you recommend?

I've never used serious mass before so cant really give an opinion on it but i do love bulkpowders chocolate complete mass! All the carbs come from super fine oats so you're not taking in all that sugar you get from most weight gainers, just protein and good carbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

Here's a question: Are Nitric Oxide boosting (arginine) supplements cumulative or immediate in action? In other words, for say Animal Pump, should I be taking it even on off days, like creatine, so my body builds up a supply? Or is it purely something which is absorbed and used immediately following taking it?

no they are not cumulative like creatine.

most of these products will tell you to take them everyday, they are vasodilators which gives you that 'pump'. but you will only get a slight vasodilation on your off days in comparison to training days, as blood flow through the muscle on training days will be much more.

personally i only take them on training days. 1. is to keep cost down. 2. is to see a flatter physique on rest days without supps to assess progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

As above its a cumulative effect.....i did a big tub of nitrix once...to my memory its 3 pills 3 times a day, After about a week and a half the pumps were incredible.....but alas the arginine got to me and i ended up just feeling ill after working out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've starting lifting weights a few weeks ago and was wondering what people thought of creatine. My flatmate who's a bit of a bodybuilder recommended I get some. I got some with my Impact Whey from myprotein but for some reason, it's only dawned on me to ask here now.
    I've tried googling it but there's talk of loading phases and cycling and whatnot. Thought it best to ask here first. Thanks!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I've starting lifting weights a few weeks ago and was wondering what people thought of creatine. My flatmate who's a bit of a bodybuilder recommended I get some. I got some with my Impact Whey from myprotein but for some reason, it's only dawned on me to ask here now.
    I've tried googling it but there's talk of loading phases and cycling and whatnot. Thought it best to ask here first. Thanks!

5g a day, will work very well for recovery and progression. When I get home, I'll post up the name of a study with show's creatine taking every day at 5g's is very good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks Paddy. I think the bag says 5g 1-2 times a day. Might try the one and see how it goes. Would it better pre or post workout?
    Sounds silly, but would it be ok to dissolve in a protein shake made with milk?

Thanks again!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Thanks Paddy. I think the bag says 5g 1-2 times a day. Might try the one and see how it goes. Would it better pre or post workout?
    Sounds silly, but would it be ok to dissolve in a protein shake made with milk?

Thanks again!

you can take the dose after workout or half before, half after.

dissolve it in a glass of warm water if possible. the more of it that you can dissolve in water the more uptake when your body digests it, and warm water makes it easier. add 100ml boiling water to 400ml cold water, stir, add 5g, stir till dissolved.

you can take the dose after workout or half before, half after.

dissolve it in a glass of warm water if possible. the more of it that you can dissolve in water the more uptake when your body digests it, and warm water makes it easier. add 100ml boiling water to 400ml cold water, stir, add 5g, stir till dissolved.

I'm guessing from your post that you would only take it on a workout day, ie once per workout. Sorry if that sounds basic.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I'm guessing from your post that you would only take it on a workout day, ie once per workout. Sorry if that sounds basic.

no you should take it everyday for 8 weeks. then cycle off it for 2 - 4 weeks.
    you want to build up the concentration/saturation of it in your muscles. that is why you hear of 'loading' in the first week i.e. 20g per day for 5 days. but just taking the 5g per days will have the same effect in the long run.

when i'm not training i take it at the same time of day as i would on a training day just for routine

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

On Creatine,regarding weight gain,does it continue to put kg's on throughout use?Been using it 2.5 weeks at 5g daily and have seen 2kg's go and was wondering is there a point it stops putting kg's on?

Or is there an alternative to it that won't put too many kg's on?

no you should take it everyday for 8 weeks. then cycle off it for 2 - 4 weeks.
    you want to build up the concentration/saturation of it in your muscles. that is why you hear of 'loading' in the first week i.e. 20g per day for 5 days. but just taking the 5g per days will have the same effect in the long run.

when i'm not training i take it at the same time of day as i would on a training day just for routine

You dont cycle creatine lol just take 5g per day anytime of day 365 to get the full benefit

dahat wrote: »
    On Creatine,regarding weight gain,does it continue to put kg's on throughout use?Been using it 2.5 weeks at 5g daily and have seen 2kg's go and was wondering is there a point it stops putting kg's on?

Or is there an alternative to it that won't put too many kg's on?

Weight gain will be water but good weight as it will be intramuscular . It wont continue either .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dor843088 wrote: »
    Weight gain will be water but good weight as it will be intramuscular . It wont continue either .

Thanks,at 94kg's i didn't want too much extra going on,hopefully it will steady out at 97kg's then i can get it back down a bit..

Cheers lads, that's really helpful.

H. H. Asquith

dor843088 wrote: »
    You dont cycle creatine lol just take 5g per day anytime of day 365 to get the full benefit

once creatine stores in muscle are full they can remain full for up to 4 weeks. that is why when i look at my myprotein creatine it suggests 8weeks on 1week off.

i advised 2- 4 weeks off to allow levels to return to natural. Although creatine is the most studied supplement, long term studies are few and far between.

as we see with the omega3 study in the news today, we may not be as smart as we think.

enjoy your 'lol' though, bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

once creatine stores in muscle are full they can remain full for up to 4 weeks. that is why when i look at my myprotein creatine it suggests 8weeks on 1week off.

i advised 2- 4 weeks off to allow levels to return to natural. Although creatine is the most studied supplement, long term studies are few and far between.

as we see with the omega3 study in the news today, we may not be as smart as we think.

enjoy your 'lol' though, bro.

Yeah everyone know the news is real reliable for health related issues...

Why would you want levels to return to "normal" anyway? Why not keep them maintained at 100%?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    The news article in the daily mail you mean?

Why would you want levels to return to "normal" anyway? Why not keep them maintained at 100%?

is that what you read?

im talking about the study by Ohio State which backs up findings from a similar study in 2011. not conclusive and i won't forgo my daily tin of sardines, but it made me stop and think.

our bodies produce creatine to a certain level. we are altering that level by taking creatine. without conclusive long term studies on having max creatine stores, cycling is the safest method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

is that what you read?

im talking about the study by Ohio State which backs up findings from a similar study in 2011. not conclusive and i won't forgo my daily tin of sardines, but it made me stop and think.

our bodies produce creatine to a certain level. we are altering that level by taking creatine. without conclusive long term studies on having max creatine stores, cycling is the safest method.

I need to look into the study more but honestly everything is bad for you according to the news. I eat a lot of red meat and eggs. Cancer waiting to happen according to the news! Always be wary of sensationalism.

Yes and we take creatine in through meat sources. Does that mean I should cut back on my meat consumption so my creatine levels can settle back to "normal" levels? Just because something is created in your body doesn't mean it has to be cycled.

Advertisement