Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sean09

hey lads, I had my op 5 weeks ago. Ive noticed I cant seem to get a full erection. It only goes to 5 inches instead of over 6 and is really thick. Could this be due to undisolved stitches?! I need to see a doctor....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Broke the banjo at the weekend, just dealing with the consequences now. thank f** for this thread, i am now at ease with what happens next. At over 30 yo i have become quite used to my foreskin, big change ahead!!! I may have to stand a few feet back from the toilet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much the procedure costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

qw1243 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much the procedure costs?

I got the bill that the VHI paid for the op under general aesthetic in a private hospital. The operation (including aesthetic) was €381 and the room was nearly €1400.

There was also the GP referral (€50), the urologist consultation (€160) and follow up consultation (€100) that I had to pay myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Or get it on the public system for free, but you will be made wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jim_Ben

My dinkle feels and looks great! The first week was rough - I was walking around like a penguin. Now, I forget that I've even had it done. I also feel much more relaxed and hopefully in a few months I won't have any problems with the ladies. ;)

If anyone wants to ask me any questions, ala, where I had it done, price, et al .. feel free to PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MellHell....

I cant believe you dont know what a Banjo String is... Brilliant... And ya its the bit you think it is. Its the bit that holds your foreskin onto your purple headed warrior...
    It looks like theres four main parts to the penis,Shaft ,Head, foreskin, Banjo section, dont forget the japs eye,, thats 5...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I had my operation today :D .

the worst is over :)

Late 30's here. Very tight foreskin that couldn't ever retract but managed to 'survive' until now. Should have dealt with it much sooner but not the easiest thing to deal with as a teenager or ever for that matter.
    Sexually everything worked and as the biggest sex organ is the mind I had no real complaints about sensitivity and anyway, I had nothing to benchmark against! But there was always the issue of tearing, infection etc. and I suppose a curiosity about how things 'should be'.

So anyway, I went to my GP around Christmas and was referred to a surgeon for a consultation about having a vasectomy. While I was there, I did the "There's one more thing..." line and the rest is history.
    Had the operations on Thursday. I couldn't really read this thread beforehand but managed to read it all today and the support and information on it is brilliant. I didn't get much information while in the hospital because to be honest my blood pressure dropped when the surgeon called around afterward and he quickly left my vicinity to let the nurses look after me!
    All the staff were excellent... Went in at 9am, was waiting around for a good while in the hideous gown (brought a book). Anesthetist was a pet... felt the drugs coursing through my vein and then nothingness. Not very sore when I woke up, but uncomfortable just the same. Was bandaged up. Had a shower the next morning and the bandage came off and the emotional difficulties of the dog-chewed look (great description lol) were harder to deal with than any physical pain. Supposed to pull the skin back in the shower but that's not easy. There's plenty of sensitivity and the careful movements around the house are more in fear/anticipation of feeling something than actually feeling it if that makes sense.
    Getting into comfortable positions can be a little difficult. Not loving it but this too shall pass. The earlier posts about being patient have been a great help. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Larkin91 wrote: »
    The penis itself is covered in a plastic wrapping with the hole uncovered for me to urinate. There is a little bit of bruising and some bleeding from where the frenulum was but I was told this is due to my heart rate. If I rest then the bleeding will be minimal, if any at all. It will take approximately 6 weeks for the scar to heal. Also the plastic wrapping is to come off tomorrow during a lukewarm bath.

Reading a lot of post's here can I ask what the benefit in this procedure is?

Other than medically needing it because of unusually tight foreskin, is there actually a reason to have this procedure, does it improve sex life for someone who doesn't have it and has had no problems thus far. If it's not about sex then is there a matter of the look and feel of the penis or of the hygiene?

As a young man in his mid 20's I'm just curious as to why people get this procedure done

• Advertisement

Reading a lot of post's here can I ask what the benefit in this procedure is?

Other than medically needing it because of unusually tight foreskin, is there actually a reason to have this procedure, does it improve sex life for someone who doesn't have it and has had no problems thus far. If it's not about sex then is there a matter of the look and feel of the penis or of the hygiene?

As a young man in his mid 20's I'm just curious as to why people get this procedure done

the answer to all your questions is "yes" :)

In my case, my foreskin didn't have any elasticity, so when I *could* retract it, I'd get lots of little "paper cuts", but normally I couldn't retract it.
    Sex was like sex with four condoms, no sensation at all really. Couldn't keep it clean, it was itchy and unpleasant, to be frank. Not very nice when you're with a girl for the first time, having to explain, y'know?

aw man, sorry to hear you were one of the unlucky few. I think I cursed you the last time, saying the worst was behind you, but...y'know yourself :)

best of luck, let us know how you go.

Late 30's here. Very tight foreskin that couldn't ever retract but managed to 'survive' until now. Should have dealt with it much sooner but not the easiest thing to deal with as a teenager or ever for that matter.
    Sexually everything worked and as the biggest sex organ is the mind I had no real complaints about sensitivity and anyway, I had nothing to benchmark against! But there was always the issue of tearing, infection etc. and I suppose a curiosity about how things 'should be'.

So anyway, I went to my GP around Christmas and was referred to a surgeon for a consultation about having a vasectomy. While I was there, I did the "There's one more thing..." line and the rest is history.
    Had the operations on Thursday. I couldn't really read this thread beforehand but managed to read it all today and the support and information on it is brilliant. I didn't get much information while in the hospital because to be honest my blood pressure dropped when the surgeon called around afterward and he quickly left my vicinity to let the nurses look after me!
    All the staff were excellent... Went in at 9am, was waiting around for a good while in the hideous gown (brought a book). Anesthetist was a pet... felt the drugs coursing through my vein and then nothingness. Not very sore when I woke up, but uncomfortable just the same. Was bandaged up. Had a shower the next morning and the bandage came off and the emotional difficulties of the dog-chewed look (great description lol) were harder to deal with than any physical pain. Supposed to pull the skin back in the shower but that's not easy. There's plenty of sensitivity and the careful movements around the house are more in fear/anticipation of feeling something than actually feeling it if that makes sense.
    Getting into comfortable positions can be a little difficult. Not loving it but this too shall pass. The earlier posts about being patient have been a great help. Fingers crossed.

Well it all didn't go swimmingly for me either....
    The ops (circumcision & vasectomy together) were done on a Thursday... no real issues.
    Fairly tender but not too painful.. very sensitive alright. I was prescribed ponstan forte 500 and could also take paracetamol.

Anyway, over the weekend and into the Monday everything seemed to be a bit too inflamed and the glans was super sensitive. Now this had never really seen the light of day due to a foreskin that couldn't ever retract so maybe that was contributing to it. The only real relief I could get was taking long soaks in the bath with epsom salts. I phoned the surgeon on the Tuesday morning (D-day +5) and he was able to see me in the county hospital and gave me a prescription for antibiotics... Augmentin Duo (500/125 I think). The wound was healing fairly well I thought but the sensitivity was still intense.
    I was using melolin pads, vaseline and conforming bandage, taped up with silk tape at night time... letting it all hang out whenever I could.

So, Thursday was one week on and Thursday night into Friday morning I decided this wasn't working so I went to see a GP in my local medical centre... was out of pads so couldn't bandage it up. Driving wasn't pleasant, walking the short distance from the car to the doctors office was worse. Hand inside the tracksuit, looked like a dodgy sort of bloke :)
    The doctor had the sort of reaction you'd expect any normal man to have - "Oh my God!" He gave me the martyr of the week award. It was a fairly heavy case of balanitis and he told me to stop taking the current antibiotics and gave me Flucloxacillin (4 times a day) and Calvepen (3 times).
    So after taking them for half a day on Friday and all day Yesterday I finally began to feel a bit more normal today. 1 stitch came out this morning (hard black yoke, certainly not dissolved) and there was a small bit of bleeding along the cut line but I wasn't really worried about that because the glans seemed to be a bit clearer. This evening it's fairly comfortable - I've had to keep it bandaged because of people in the house and also can get dressed and feel more human rather than having it hanging over my pyjamas with the curtains drawn.
    Getting there.

Hey guys

I have a prob with tight foreskin. I dont have any problem retracting it when flacid however when i have an erection it becomes difficult to refract. It is possible to retract my foreskin when erect but it can become very uncomfortable as the foreskin tends to be very tight just beyond the glans. It kinda 'digs in' around the head for lack of a better expression. Generally i dont have this problem with the tightness when the foreskin is retracted while flacid and when i then proceed to get an erection. Obviously this isn't viable when things happen in the heat of the moment!!

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and the procedures they chos to correct it?

I'm due for a frenulotomy fri but i'm not sure if this will solve my prob. Has anyone here had this procedure and did it work for them?

From looking on net it looks like preputioplasty would be the answer to my probs but is it common? anyone here had it done.

I want to explore all avenues as i really dont want a circumcision. Also what's a part circumcision?

Op was 2 weeks ago today.
    Been taking 2 antibiotics for the last 6 days on top of the augmentin duo I had taken for the previous 3.5 days.

It seems to be healing and the infection is dying down but there are still some traces of it remaining. Another stitch was out this morning - either I have had 2 different kinds of stitches or else I had a reaction to some of them because some were black and some were white. The black ones are gone now but they all were hard and intact (still knotted) when they came out so it was the body that dissolved rather than the stitch :)
    The 4 that still remain are white and softer.
    Where the black one came out this morning, the cut is the least healed but in general the wound is healing nicely and I'm pleased with it. I was surprised this morning to find it looking so improved, probably helped by the swelling having gone down too.

The glans still had matter on it and most of this comes away with the saline dip. There is still a couple of sore points on the glans and I'm concerned about my course of antibiotics ending tomorrow before it's fully healed so I've put in a call to my GP and will discuss that with him later today.

I wasn't prepared to be out of action for 2+ weeks and am finding it tough going at times but still trying to keep the chin up. Looking forward to getting out and about.
    When I have to go out and also in bed at night, the melonin pads with vaseline, conforming bandage and silk tape is the business. Got a couple of tight enough briefs too and need to get more of them as they seem like the best idea. Still, the thought of tucking Mr. Man into the jocks without any bandage makes me wince a little so I'm not 'cured' yet :)

Well I happened to come across this thread about a month ago and didnt realise how many people were affected by it. Basically like most here i have a tight foreskin....phimosis. Never been able to retract my foreskin, even when flaccid. Now I thought it was something i'd just live with but it was kinda ruining my sex life. When I wear a condom the sensitivity is so little that there are times i'd actually lose my erection, when not wearing one intercourse is just very uncomfortable and painful. Anyway I managed to just get on with it.....

So after reading through this thread i plucked up the courage to go and see a gp, went in told him, he took a look, asked if i was ever able to retract it. I told him no so he said i should see a general surgeon to see what he could do. He said it would most likely be a circumcision. Was only in there for 5 mins but its like a weight lifted off my shoulders now that i've faced up to it.

So i have an appointment to see a general surgeon at the end of the month. I have medical ins. so am going private. Anyone have an idea of the timescale from the initial consultation to the op? kinda wanna have done and dusted before summer.

oh i'm 25 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 36 budwider

does the vhi cover any of the costs involved in getting a medically needed circumcision???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

budwider wrote: »
    does the vhi cover any of the costs involved in getting a medically needed circumcision???

Depends on the cover you have and how long you have cover, if you have less than 2 years (or is it 5) it would probably be considered a pre-existing condition (the only way to find out is to ring them), they covered 100% of my costs (apart from the consultations before and after) - this was on plan C

they covered all costs for me, I'm on options B I think.

Rulmeq wrote: »
    Depends on the cover you have and how long you have cover, if you have less than 2 years (or is it 5) it would probably be considered a pre-existing condition (the only way to find out is to ring them), they covered 100% of my costs (apart from the consultations before and after) - this was on plan C

wow,thanks for the help.im just worried about all of this,im just also curious as to,does the errection get any stronger after the op?

• Advertisement

budwider wrote: »
    wow,thanks for the help.im just worried about all of this,im just also curious as to,does the errection get any stronger after the op?

no difference for me.

tbh wrote: »
    no difference for me.

does it make a difference during sex being circumcised,i find it very hard to cum as my foreskin will not retract more than 1-2 cms,leaving most the head covered.does the circumcision make it easier?

oh god yeah!

yeah, there's way more sensitivity now, but just the right amount, if you know what I mean :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I went for a private consultation, but the costs are way too much! (900 + actual procedure fees of 500+) I'm a poor student :( Not sure what to do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You can go public and wait.

Yeah, I was thinking about that as I won't have a penny until at least summer 2011.

Do you know how long the waiting list is, or what the cost would be?

dlofnep wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking about that as I won't have a penny until at least summer 2011.

Do you know how long the waiting list is, or what the cost would be?

you should get yourself on the list as soon as possible DL, I think if you don't get it publicly within 18 months, you'll get it privately through the treatment fund - don't quote me on that tho.

Last Friday I went back to my GP and he gave me another 5 days of both antibiotics so those are ending today.
    Still doesn't seem clear but it's getting much improved. The sensitivity is reduced enough that I was able to just have briefs on yesterday evening with no bandage. I'll still wrap it up when I'm out to work because it's much more protected that way. Have managed to jog a little even and kick a ball around with the kids so it's not really that much of an issue any more. Stitches are just about all gone.
    Haven't been back in the saddle yet so to speak but a good time was had by all on Saturday night with mrs nothereyet being impressed.

Regarding cost, for me it was like this (VHI).
    GP visit around new years day (was really going about a vasectomy)... €50
    Referred to a surgeon - €80 for his consultation I think.
    Given appointment mid February (could have had one 2 weeks earlier but dates didn't suit me).
    VHI paid the hospital €920, the surgeon €204 and the anesthetist €177 (the anesthetist actually charged 275 but 177 is the maximum agreed benefit paid which settles the fees in full).
    So the benefit paid out is €1,301 for the day in hospital.
    I got a prescription from my surgeon at no charge a few days after the op.
    I had a GP visit another few days later for more/stronger antibiotics at €50.
    I had a follow-up visit to the GP a week later to extend the course at no charge.
    I spent a small fortune on bandages, melonin pads, silk tape, valseline, antibiotics, paracetamol :)

tbh wrote: »
    you should get yourself on the list as soon as possible DL, I think if you don't get it publicly within 18 months, you'll get it privately through the treatment fund - don't quote me on that tho.

Alright cheers :) I'll ask my GP to refer me publicly.

• Advertisement

here's the site for the NTPF - http://www.ntpf.ie/home/ - you may get some info there. If it helps, although I was private, I was still waiting 6 months from GP to op.

Advertisement