Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

tbh wrote: »
    you should get yourself on the list as soon as possible DL, I think if you don't get it publicly within 18 months, you'll get it privately through the treatment fund - don't quote me on that tho.
    Once you have been waiting 3 months you can use the NTPF. You do need to make sure you are moved to the NTPF list after 3 months. If you do nothing you could languish on the public lists for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, bit of a problem here. Hope someone can help.

My boyfriend got circumcised a month ago due to phimosis. We tried sex and stuff for the first time yesterday and he discovered he is no longer able to come. Before the operation it took him a while to orgasm but it always happened eventually. Now he is not able to at all, even through masterbation. He is quite frankly horrified and feeling very down about it understandably.

Anyone else experience this or know whats the deal with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PIERCEpx219

Hi to all,
    When I read this thread I knew I had to join :)
    I went to the doctors on Monday(Two days ago) and asked the male doctor about male circumcision. He was useless. I live in Co.Wexford and I was hoping if anybody could tell me any place in Dublin to have this operation done.

I am 21yrs old the age factor is'nt an issue thank god:).
    Other males out there know that male circumcision is the best option.
    Cleaning the foreskin everyday even when it is clean, Left overs from using the toilet still remain there and it does smell bad:)

Any advice would really be fantasic.
    THANKS IN ADVICE.
    PIERCE.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

My boyfriend got circumcised a month ago due to phimosis. We tried sex and stuff for the first time yesterday and he discovered he is no longer able to come. Before the operation it took him a while to orgasm but it always happened eventually. Now he is not able to at all, even through masterbation. He is quite frankly horrified and feeling very down about it understandably.

Anyone else experience this or know whats the deal with it?
    I haven't had the Op but a friend of mine did at the age of 36.
    He had the same problem as your boyfriend after the OP .In a few weeks sensation was getting back --so hopefully it will just be a matter of a few weeks.
    Hope everything works out for you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

I am 20 and for some time now I have been contemplating circumcision. I remember my father saying to me about 7 years ago that I needed to retract my foreskin more frequently so I think he also may have noticed that I had more foreskin than normal. I can pull it back with ease, however I am unable to do this 'in the heat of the moment' so to speak. I have been with a few girls now at this stage, however every occasion was in some way alcohol induced. Now I drink in moderation so don't assume that I am some stupid drunken student. Each time, although able to "perform" I got very little sensation from the sex and was unable to orgasm. I've seen others with a similar amount of foreskin to me so I don't think I'm in anyway abnormal. I am young and I don't have a girlfriend. My penis does not cause me any pain, it's merely my inability to enjoy sex that frustrates me. I love females and am aroused by attractive women but I simply can not perform as I would like when it counts.
    Any advice out there? Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ohdatlewis, if you can retract the foreskin behind the head when erect then you are working fine. Removing the foreskin will reduce sensation.

Here are 2 links that may help you (they are explicit but intended to be educational):

http://www.circumstitions.com/completeman/

http://www.newforeskin.biz/CI/CIchart.htm#index

Purewater wrote: »
    ohdatlewis, if you can retract the foreskin behind the head when erect then you are working fine. Removing the foreskin will reduce sensation.

Here are 2 links that may help you (they are explicit but intended to be educational):

http://www.circumstitions.com/completeman/

http://www.newforeskin.biz/CI/CIchart.htm#index

I can occasionally remove my foreskin when I am erect but it is painful and is a very slow procedure. It is awkward and uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AnalFistyCuffs

My boyfriend got circumcised a month ago due to phimosis. We tried sex and stuff for the first time yesterday

Four weeks is too soon. The physical healing may be good but the 'little fella' is suffering post traumatic stress as a result of the procedure.
    There any many tiny nerve endings in that region that are still trying to recuperate from the anastetic effects.

So for others going thru the recovery stage,....give the 'little fella' another 6-8 weeks and 'gently' try again.

I am speaking from personal experience and not trying to make fun of the subject :)

ohdatlewis wrote: »
    I can occasionally remove my foreskin when I am erect but it is painful and is a very slow procedure. It is awkward and uncomfortable.

Brother,...you need to have the procedure. When you get your op appointment,...PM me if you want me to talk you thru the procedure / experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mike321

Hi all,

I'm gettin circumsized tommorow due to frenulum breve. Pretty nervous but also looking forward to getting my c*** sorted! :)

Will keep you posted on how recovery goes. I must say, reading through this thread has certainly put my mind at ease so will make an effort to help others.

Will post up tommorow.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Good luck mate, had it done myself a few years ago. Definitely worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TalkingCats

Really informative thread. I'm getting circumcised tomorrow thanks to phimosis. My foreskin just plain refused to retract so after being referred to a urologist by my GP, a circumcision was recommended.

I'm not dreading the op so much as the recovery. I'm 17 and I'm back in school on Monday after the Easter holidays. I know recovery times differ but will I be limping all over the place? I'm toying with the idea of taking the day off on Monday but I've no idea if this will be necessary. I'll keep yis updated on my condition over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Really informative thread. I'm getting circumcised tomorrow thanks to phimosis. My foreskin just plain refused to retract so after being referred to a urologist by my GP, a circumcision was recommended.

I'm not dreading the op so much as the recovery. I'm 17 and I'm back in school on Monday after the Easter holidays. I know recovery times differ but will I be limping all over the place? I'm toying with the idea of taking the day off on Monday but I've no idea if this will be necessary. I'll keep yis updated on my condition over the weekend.

School is going to be uncomfortable for at least a week.

,.... I'm getting circumcised tomorrow thanks to phimosis.,... . I know recovery times differ but will I be limping all over the place? I'm toying with the idea of taking the day off on Monday but I've no idea if this will be necessary. .

If you can stay off school until next Wednesday, it would be best. Get a note from doctor stating recovery time needed. No need for school to know what the procedure is.

You cannot afford to take any hits, either accidental or rough play, so soon after op. Tight trousers will be an issue also, due to contact with glans. Bathroom breaks in school would be best in a cubicle for urinating.
    1. You may need to adjust / reset bandaging to allow urine flow. 2. If other pupils see your 'weapon of mass destruction' bandaged while you use a urinal, this will possibly lead to you getting hit in that area or embarrassing graffiti in school.

The dissolveable stitches should do their job in about 10 days when shortly after you will be due back to the urologist/consultant for a post-op review. As the weeks progress and months turn into a year, you will look back and be happy with getting it done. :):) Best of luck.;)

Well I got circumcised today under local anaesthetic & I can honestly say its better than going to the dentist. You feel absolutely nothing and I was chatting away to the doctor and reading a magazine. Was all over in 25/30 mins & most of that time is spent stitching. You have nothing to worrying about with regards to the actual procedure.

Once the local wore off, It did feel quite uncormfotable with some sharp pains every now and then. This has since subsided into a feeling of sharp sensitivity, particularly around the frenulum area (I had the frenulum removed).

No significant bleeding except for a little blood seeping through the bandage (which is very tight but not too uncomfortable). For those who had their frenulum removed, did you notice a liquidy discharge around this area? Also, when urinating, a few drops get soaked up into the bandage at the bottom of the glans (again where the frenulum used to be). Is this a problem & risk for infection? I'm on antibiotics.

Mike321 wrote: »
    Well I got circumcised today
    Congratulations Mike ! :)

No significant bleeding except for a little blood seeping through the bandage (which is very tight but not too uncomfortable). For those who had their frenulum removed, did you notice a liquidy discharge around this area? Also, when urinating, a few drops get soaked up into the bandage at the bottom of the glans (again where the frenulum used to be). Is this a problem & risk for infection? I'm on antibiotics.

1. The bandage will loosen a little over the next few days.
    2. Discharge is quite normal and is your little man weeping as the healing process starts. Try to make bandage end opening larger to allow clear flow thru for urine. There will be an odour from the bandage due to urine drops catching.
    3. Antibiotics are to assist the healing and kill any possible infection. Nothing to worry about Mike. The old phrase,.." time is a healer" will ring thru my brother :)

Thanks for the reply bud. Will have a go at freeing up the end of the bandage. Speaking of the bandage, at what day did you remove it??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This has since subsided into a feeling of sharp sensitivity, particularly around the frenulum area (I had the frenulum removed).
    Question, why remove the frenulum? :eek::eek: Its incredibly sensitive sexually. Resection it if its tight yes, but removal?

Actually broader question and if some medical types or typesess' could chime in, even better. One of the main reasons to remove the foreskin is for presumably intractable phimosis(never mind suggesting topical steroids and stretching exercises first).

OK but looking at my own(not currently you understand.. :D) the "tightest" part is the actual opening of the foreskin. I would assume in the case of phimosis, that's also mostly the issue. So why not remove just that part? Why the complete removal of the foreskin tissue?

Why not a more conservative approach that preserves more of the nervous tissue in the foreskin, preserves its function and protects the glans from drying out? That's the part I dont understand at all. Is there a "standard" amount of tissue removed? Does this vary on the part of the surgeon? Can someone request more conservative surgery? More to the point be offered same?

It seems to me anyway that the first thing suggested is complete removal. Even in this thread guys at the first hint of another poster having a phimosis the chop is stridently advocated. Never mind no one can know the degree of phimosis or whether it can be fixed by less extreme means.

In my humble it seems more like a medically "fashionable" decision. "This is what we do and how we do it" rather than an objective approach that preserves as much tissue as possible.

PS Even the Jewish circumcision practice changed over time. Originally it was not complete removal, just the tip. The evidence for this comes from the Greeks. The greeks thought of the exposed glans as morally repugnant and if Jews wanted to perform in the greek games(played naked) they would roll their foreskins forward to appear "greek". This was frowned upon by the church elders so to stop this went for a more extreme version where no foreskin was left to roll forward.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

,...Speaking of the bandage, at what day did you remove it??

Mike,...
    I left it on until the post-op review with surgeon / consultant which would have been 8 days (no longer than 10 days).

He removed it and instructed me to take daily luke warm baths (for approx. 2 weeks) with 1 large spoonful of table salt ( NO bath foam etc just water & salt) and just soak yourself for 10 mins.

Rinse down using shower head and gently dry with fresh clean towel. This quickens the recovery process.

Oh,.....don't forget to wear baggy jogging pants if possible to reduce contact irritation! :eek: ( Not in the bath! :D).

The underside of my bandage, pretty much from the base to the tip, has been absorbing some yellow/clear fluid substance. I'm not sure if this is a sign of infection or normal healing process??!

• Advertisement

The underside of my bandage, pretty much from the base to the tip, has been absorbing some yellow/clear fluid substance. I'm not sure if this is a sign of infection or normal healing process??!

Mike, I had similar discharge. It is normal.

If you need 110% reassurance, telephone your doctor and he/she will probably get you to drop into the office for a quick inspection. You will be asked if you are taking the antibiotics and then told everything is as it should be. :) Worst case,...he/she will change dressing. Nice !;)

Cheers bud. Phoned the doc who said its quite normal but that I could soak the bandage off in a bath tommorow if i wanted. I think I'll get it off and then redress it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

Hey Guys, great thread....Here's my experience- had pretty bad phimosis and was near impossible to retract over the glans. This held me back really badly with relationships, self-confidence etc, so went for consultation on October last. I had done plenty of research on the options available, so when the urologist firstly suggested circumcision I said I wasn't keen on it and would rather try the dorsal slit as a first measure. Anyhow, got my dorsal slit and frenuloplasty done 6 weeks ago and I'm convinced it was the right decision- much quicker healing time, kept all the foreskin,and the phimosis is now gone!! It seems to be that circumcision is the first thing most urologists suggest- doesn't make sense to me as it is akin to treating an ingrown toenail by cutting off the toe!! My advice- do lots of research into the options available, and go in to your consultation with as much knowledge as you can...(Ps the urologist had absolutely no hesitation when I mentioned dorsal slit, all he did mention was the undesirable cosmetics of it, but tbh it looks fine, a full circ would have looked more radical to me)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Another surgical option that doesnt remove tissue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preputioplasty

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TalkingCats

Thanks Fad and AnalFistyCuffs for the advice.

Its been a week since the op and all is pretty good. I managed to wear boxers for the first time since the deed was done and there is some discomfort and I'm walking very slowly but at least I'm up and about. I took the week off school because those school trousers are just too damn tight and I would have been walking around like John Wayne with rickets.

I switched from baths to showers yesterday and it hasn't been that uncomfortable for the little man. So basically things are getting better.

Has anyone tried a topical steroid called betamethasone? It has very positive reviews as an alternative to surgery, which I would like to avoid at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Heliosphan191

I have an appointment with the urologist in Tallaght hospital, does anyone have an idea how much his fee will be?? Also is it just a quick in and out type of appointment??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 quickstart

Hello all, well I got the procedure done today - a full circumcision. I've read through this thread and agree with those who say surgery should be the last option. I had bad phimosis, i couldnt retract the foreskin at all, not even when flacid. Having sex with a condom was sensationless, and sex without was painful. I tried stretching but that didnt help.
    I eventually went to a GP, he didnt say too much just referred me to a surgeon and said I may need a circumcision. So when I visited the surgeon he told me he didnt do that type of surgery, he checked it out never the less and said I would need a circumcision or a dorsel slit and referred me to a urologist. He was actually a really sound guy and explained everything to me even though he wasnt going to be doing the procedure.
    So got appointment with the urologist, he examined the foreskin and said I would need the circumcision. Again was a really nice chap, but me at ease with everything. We discussed the dorsel slit option but he didnt think it would solve my problem as my foreskin was too tight.
    Anyway got a date for the op which was today, went in for at 8am, filled out a few forms, got into the gown, was brought down to the op room, put on the bed. I had opted to get it done under local. They put a screen up in front of me so I couldnt see what work they were doing down below. They cleaned the area first with antiseptic, it was so cold my little man nearly went up inside me :D Then came the worst part of today for me.......the injections for the local. I dont mind needles and dont usually notice them but these stung a bit, but was over in 5-10 seconds. After a min or 2 he checked to make sure I was totally numb down there and started working away, there was himself and another woman working on me and a few nurses in the room. They were all very nice, very professional. Job was done in about 20mins and then i was wheeled to another room, where a nurse checked pulse,blood pressure etc and the wound dressing. She said there was a bit of discharge on the dressing which was perfectly normal and then i was wheeled back to a ward to have a nap and get some brekkie. After brekkie I was allowed go home. Unlike others I didnt get subscribed painkillers or antibiotics, just told to take panadol and bathe in salt water for bout 10mins twice a day.
    Since I got home I've just basically lay down, I havent felt any real pain at all tbh I've been apprehensive about so many things today - the injections, then what if i feel it during the op, then whats it gonna be like walking after the op, then will i be able to go to the toilet alright and now its what its gonna be like if i get an erection while i'm asleep......but so far everything has passed fine. Peeing i have to do sitting down cos its spraying in 2 diff directions, i'm putting this down to the swelling and tightness of dressing.
    I know I've a few challenging days ahead of me but thanks to this thread i know what to expect. I'll keep posting on my progress, so far so good though :)

Well didnt sleep too well last night, kept waking up every hour or so, not in pain or anything like that - just anxious that I might cause damage to stitching by moving in my sleep.
    So after getting up it was time to take off the bandage as per the docs instructions. I got a jug with luke warm water and some epsom salt and soaked it for a while. A good bit of blood had dried into the bandage so the water turned red as I expected. Again there was no real pain though. I was very tepid about this whole process so I took it uber slow. The doc used the phrase that has been mentioned in here already that its gonna look like the dog got at it. All in all I think it took me 30mins to get the bandage off, when it came off it didnt look as bad as i had imagined, there was a good bit of bruising on my shaft but the front of the penis looked ok. Behind the head was a bit of a mess though.
    After bathing it and taking the bandage off I just patted it dry with gauze bandage and left it open in the air for a few hours before re bandaging. Its been pretty uncomfortable walking around the house, but its an uncomfortable sensation rather than pain. Theres been a few threats of erections during the day but I managed to subdue them before pain struck!!
    So i'm delighted the procedure is done and i'm on the road to recovery!

• Advertisement

Ouch! Woke up this morning with a painful erection, thought some stitches may have burst but everything was fine down there, small bit of blood but nothing to worry about.
    Today was pretty much the same as yesterday, bath in salt water, left it in the air for a few hours then bandaged. I've noticed that the head is starting to peel a bit but this seems to be the norm. Havent had to take any panadol/painkiller since lunchtime yesterday. Still awkward moving about, walking like john wayne! The boredom sitting around the house all day seems be the ardest thing to deal with though!!

Advertisement