Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RolfHarris

The peeling is just part of the healing process, and sleeping will get better every night. How are you filling your days? What are you able to wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

ok grand. not bad watching tv and on this most of the time . im able to wear shorts but have to hold them away from my penis as its still sensitive

Keeping it dry and letting the air at it is the best way for the first few days. Keep it unwrapped and dry. Resting your balls over the waistband of your shorts and letting the penis rest there works well too.

Make sure the neighbours don't see you!

ha yeah i've been doing that when i can . the house can be fairly full at times. how long where u waiting to be able to wear clothes properly ? when the sensitivity went?

Have a look back through the thread, but I think it was about 5 days or so. Gauze, tight undies and loose combats worked really well. You need something tight to stop it rolling around, and wrapping something around the head and tight boxers really does work after a few days.

• Advertisement

its been too sore to put anything near or on the head. thats why i cant cover it up with anything gauze

Ah, ****sticks. VHI have refused my claim on the basis that phimosis was a pre-existing medical complaint.

I now need to fork out €204 for the urologist, and €59 for the hospital, in addition to the €500 I already paid to Mount Carmel.

Still, I should get some back from Revenue. Nasy surprise though!

is that all private or what ? i was lucky i got my medical card just before the operation

Private. VHI told me that my scheme would pay 60% of the costs, but now they say that the condition pre-dated me joining VHI so they won't pay any of it.

So, I have to stump up the other 60% then claim 20% back from Revenue at the end of the year. It used to be that you could claim 48% but they reduced it to the lower level of income tax in the last Budget.

How are you today?

oh thats a pain. unless u go to a public hospital but could be waiting ages.

still the same really the bruising is more or less as is the swelling . the worst part is how sensitive it is . if it was for that id be perfect

• Advertisement

The sensitivity will get better, I promise. How many days has it been now?

yeah hopefully . have to and sign on tomorrow should be fun. been a week now today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

RolfHarris wrote: »
    Private. VHI told me that my scheme would pay 60% of the costs, but now they say that the condition pre-dated me joining VHI so they won't pay any of it.

So, I have to stump up the other 60% then claim 20% back from Revenue at the end of the year. It used to be that you could claim 48% but they reduced it to the lower level of income tax in the last Budget.

How are you today?
    Which plan are you on?

Did they tell you it would cost 60% prior to the procedure?! If so then they can hardly say you have to pay in full now! I would demand they stick to what they offered.

This sucks! I have VHI and was hoping it would cover the costs of my op!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Which plan are you on?

Did they tell you it would cost 60% prior to the procedure?! If so then they can hardly say you have to pay in full now! I would demand they stick to what they offered.

This sucks! I have VHI and was hoping it would cover the costs of my op!

I'm guessing it doesn't have to do with the cost, but the fact that rolf had phisomsis when he took out VHI cover. I think.

That seems to be it, tbh.

The surgeon had a VHI form to complete and one of the questions was the date on which the condition emerged. I guess he wrote that it was a pre-existing condition, which is true.

I had always had it in the back of my mind that if he wrote that then the claim would be nullified, and it's actually a little less than I'd expected.

Still, it's my little way of keeping money flowing through the economy.

So, how's the patient recovering? Hope the sensitivity is improving.

yup getting much better . sensitivity just about gone . get the odd tingle . only thing now really is the stiches to come out and a small bit swelling to go down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rvt

hi guys ..i hav phimosis and gona get a circumsision...im not sure weather to get partial or full.. will i be able to go to work after one week?..really worried about the sensitivity

Whether or not you can work after 1 week would depend on your occupation, if you're sitting behind a desk then there's a good possibility, but if you're doing anything physical then I'd take 2 weeks.

It's been over a week since sending off my referral and I've just been given a date for my consultation, tis just under 3 weeks!

I don't suppose there's anyone here who has had all or part of the procedure covered by insurance? I don't mind paying if it means not having to wait a year! But getting it done for free was a big + for me!

right nw my glans are hypersensitiv /uncomfortabl to touch, if i get a partial circ..wil the hypersensitivty reduce? .. i jus need help in choosin between full and partial. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Your urologist will advise you best.

i went to the surgon the gp refferd me to..he didn even look at it.. al he said is ..we do full circ normally, but if u want we can do partial, wen i asked him abot sensitivity, he jus kept quite.. i was quite iritatd.

Sensitivity will decrease in the weeks following the OP, have a read of the last couple of pages, another guy just had it done and was worried about sensitivity and now he says it's pretty much gone.

Where is your surgeon based?

im frm safrica..yea i knw sensitivity wil decreas for full circ..im jus worried if it wil decreas for partial. coz im thinkin of gettin the partial. thnx for da help guys

Rvt wrote: »
    im frm safrica..yea i knw sensitivity wil decreas for full circ..im jus worried if it wil decreas for partial. coz im thinkin of gettin the partial. thnx for da help guys

hey Rvt, welcome to boards. Try to ease up on the textspeak, ok, it's not really allowed on boards. cheers.

Rvt wrote: »
    I would imagine it would, although maybe not as much as a full circumcision.

Whether or not you can work after 1 week would depend on your occupation, if you're sitting behind a desk then there's a good possibility, but if you're doing anything physical then I'd take 2 weeks.

It's been over a week since sending off my referral and I've just been given a date for my consultation, tis just under 3 weeks!

I don't suppose there's anyone here who has had all or part of the procedure covered by insurance? I don't mind paying if it means not having to wait a year! But getting it done for free was a big + for me!

VHI covered everything for me man, details are back in the thread. I had to pay the consultants fees, although I probably could have claimed that back too. That's a good wait time for the consultant, you may get it done this side of christmas after all!

lads - with regards to sensitivity. First off, everyone is different and individual results may vary.

I know that before I got the op, I was convinced it would feel like it did if I pulled the foreskin back all the time, and I'd just get used to it. I don't know if that's what you're worried about. For me, apart from sexy time it's no more sensitive that if I was uncircumcised. I can let it flop about and hit off jeans or boxers or whatever, and I don't feel uncomfortable at all. I know it's hard to believe, but it is true in my case.

the best way I can describe it is to say it's like I have an invisible foreskin, which retracts by itself when I get an erection.

tbh wrote: »
    VHI covered everything for me man, details are back in the thread. I had to pay the consultants fees, although I probably could have claimed that back too. That's a good wait time for the consultant, you may get it done this side of christmas after all!
    Cool! So there's a 50/50 chance of VHI covering it really, I guess it all depends on the doctors notes, if he writes that it's a ''pre-existing'' condition then I'm probably fúcked! Maybe I'll ask him to choose his words carefully:)

Yeah, with any luck it'll be before xmas, maybe even the start of december? I could end up with a whole month off if you include the xmas holidays, sweet!

• Advertisement

Cool! So there's a 50/50 chance of VHI covering it really, I guess it all depends on the doctors notes, if he writes that it's a ''pre-existing'' condition then I'm probably fúcked! Maybe I'll ask him to choose his words carefully:)

Yeah, with any luck it'll be before xmas, maybe even the start of december? I could end up with a whole month off if you include the xmas holidays, sweet!

how long have you been with the VHI?

Advertisement