Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Indie bands in ireland???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Soma2005

jtsuited wrote: »
    i find fight like apes to be everything that's wrong with modern 'indie' music.

Finally someone with a bit of musical sense!!! I dunno what people see in this band!

For what it's worth:
    1. Codes - http://www.myspace.com/codesofficial
    2. BATS - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=87721423&MyToken=bfa679cc-536c-4079-80a6-9853f177faa9
    3. Avalanche Ammo - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=173250096&MyToken=702b7c53-6c49-4458-a892-ad9f039315cc
    4. The Kinetiks - http://www.myspace.com/kinetiks1
    5. The Flaws

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Hybrasil
    Dry County
    Channel One
    Ham Sandwich
    Bufferfly Explosion

and
    Fast Emperors (N.I.)

pity Waiting Room aren't still around, but there might be posthumous release #2 from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Loveless wrote: »
    pity Waiting Room aren't still around, but there might be posthumous release #2 from them.
    And sources close to the band tell me that the new material was superb, much better than the first album. :(

Bell X1
    God Is An Astronaut
    Future Kings of Spain
    The Frames
    Turn (the members are still in Ireland!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

The Immediate are really good.
    were unfortunately... pity

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

i find fight like apes to be everything that's wrong with modern 'indie' music.

Everything? Why do you think that? No, it's the bland ****e that's afraid to do something different. That's what's wrong with modern, and as you put it, 'indie' music.
    Fair enough, they aren't doing anything that leftfield, but it's better than them trying to be The Frames, Nirvana, Radiohead and The Strokes, which is what I often see most nights of the week in Dublin.
    Fight Like Apes are good. That's my opinion anyway :)

• Advertisement

Everything? Why do you think that? No, it's the bland ****e that's afraid to do something different. That's what's wrong with modern, and as you put it, 'indie' music.
    Fair enough, they aren't doing anything that leftfield, but it's better than them trying to be The Frames, Nirvana, Radiohead and The Strokes, which is what I often see most nights of the week in Dublin.
    I agree, and their not doing the whole guitar-pop, little riff and a power chord stuff, a la the flaws, delorentos, maccabees etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Ham Sandwich are quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Musoabuso

Vesta varro from Limerick are very good. Should catch them live, wipe any Irish band off the stage that I've seen of late. www.myspace.com/vestavarro

Jape , Ham Sandwich also stand out.

Director could go on to do great things.

Me likes Cathy Davey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Neosupervital
    The Hot Sprockets
    Fight Like Apes
    TwinKranes
    The Chalets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

so synthpop influenced indie with a female singer that tries ever so hard to be mega-quirky is original?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gencaveman

Super extra bonus party
    adebesi shank
    jape
    terrodyctal
    blonde majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

79cortinaz, large mound, dudleys, ham sandwich, secret police, ilya k , windings, kill city defectors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gencaveman

should also mention...

dark room notes
    mighty stef
    dry county
    noise control
    les bien
    evil harrisons
    hypbrasil
    hooray for humans
    jimmy cake

ders alot around right now...

One the basis of the single Ham Sandwich released recently, the album shouldn't be up to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Poltergoose

None! they are all rubbish and should be dragged out and hung from O'Connell bridge.Ireland cant have an alternative scene because its a country full of arrogant stnuc!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

None! they are all rubbish and should be dragged out and hung from O'Connell bridge.Ireland cant have an alternative scene because its a country full of arrogant stnuc!

Having read your posts in various threads today it seems to me that you are nothing more than a music snob. You haven't posted one positive thing and it's people like you who this forum could do without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

1. Pony Club (Not the new young pony club!)
    2. Channel One
    3. Stars of Heaven
    4. Director

And as an extra bonus none of them are an ginger arrogant tosser who starred in a movie called "once upon a time" or somefink...

I forgot our northern cousins-

1.Stiff little fingers
    2.The Undertones
    3.Ash (for old times sake)
    4.The divine comedy?

I'm reaching....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

iamhunted wrote: »
    79cortinaz, large mound, dudleys, ham sandwich, secret police, ilya k , windings, kill city defectors

Iv recently bought 79cortinaz and Kill City Defectors albums and I gotta say they are both top notch, definitally up there with the more high profile Irish acts doing the rounds at the moment.

On another note the album Im really looking forward to this year (hopefully) is twinKranes, these guys are amazing and I'd advise everyone to check them out on myspace.

I'd agree that Ireland hasnt got an "alternative scene" as such.
    I would however take issue with your reason as to why this is the case as I feel your answer is only partly correct! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I'd agree that Ireland hasnt got an "alternative scene" as such.
    I would however take issue with your reason as to why this is the case as I feel your answer is only partly correct! :D
    What do you mean 'alternative scene'? If by 'not mainstream', or even 'underground', then you couldn't be more wrong!

• Advertisement

DadaKopf wrote: »
    What do you mean 'alternative scene'? If by 'not mainstream', or even 'underground', then you couldn't be more wrong!

That comment was said in jest as much as anything.

In gernal though I dont really believe there is much in the way of alternative or underground music scenes in Ireland when compared to the UK for example.
    I know alot of it is down to the fact that we have a far smaller population here but I also think theres an element of Irish people being more into the "mainstream" when compared to their UK countrparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

We don’t have an underground “scene” because we don’t have an established mainstream one operating in this country. We have the glass ceiling effect, bands can only get to a certain level operating domestically.

we don't have an underground scene because no bands are really putting out great stuff. End of story. There also seems to be more overhyping and sh1te-talking done in the 'alternative' scene than there would be in any mainstream corporate driven industry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

we don't have an underground scene because no bands are really putting out great stuff.

to be able to say that with authority you'd probably have to listen to every single band's release. theres some fantastic stuff out there.

we don't have an underground scene because no bands are really putting out great stuff. End of story. There also seems to be more overhyping and sh1te-talking done in the 'alternative' scene than there would be in any mainstream corporate driven industry!

Ye reckon?
    Check out this crew from Cork:
    http://www.myspace.com/subrosa06

From Galway:
    http://www.myspace.com/thedisconnect4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

a "new wave" band formed in the 00's..... their intended wave is pretty old by now.

note: im not slagging them off musicaly, i have no opinion either way on that.

Ye reckon?
    Check out this crew from Cork:
    http://www.myspace.com/subrosa06

From Galway:
    http://www.myspace.com/thedisconnect4

oh i take it all back. those two bands are absolutely mindblowing. better than beethoven. i can really see people everywhere on hearing this music go into a frenzy at how good it is. governments will fall!!!

pathetic.:rolleyes:

Jayzus lads, talk about being hypocrits.
    On the one hand your giving out about there being no alternative or underground scene.
    On the other hand you just slag off people who are out there trying to make things happen without using expensive PR or record labels.
    Tis no wonder alot of potentially very good artists are put off trying to make a go of it in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Clubs like Stress in Galway are doing good things for Irish music.

Getting in a lot of bands that people wouldn't hear of normally.

www.myspace.com/stressahah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

You're not trying hard enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement