Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Indie bands in ireland???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

You forgot Saviours of Space, a good band compared to the rest.

Yeah, fantastic band. Not only are they excellent musicians but they have really catchy songs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AddisonAx3

The Mascara Story gets all five votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

People need to stop suggesting non-indie bands for the top 5 indie bands in Ireland. If you don't know or like any Irish indie bands, there is no point in replying.

Fight Like Apes
    Grand Pocket Orchestra
    So Cow
    Bats
    Dublin Duck Dispensary

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

Rest
    Hooray for Humans
    Adebisi Shank
    Bats
    Terrordactyl

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Exit : Pursued By A Bear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Turn
    bran'do
    The Crayonz
    La Rocca
    The Immediate

and I'll throw in Redneck Manifesto, because of the stuff I've heard they sound pretty good. Also, I don't think any of my 5 exist anymore, except La Rocca but the newer stuff doesn't sound so good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

SumGuy wrote: »
    Turn
    bran'do
    The Crayonz
    La Rocca
    The Immediate

and I'll throw in Redneck Manifesto, because of the stuff I've heard they sound pretty good. Also, I don't think any of my 5 exist anymore, except La Rocca but the newer stuff doesn't sound so good...

Im pretty sure a mate told me just the other night that he had recorded some tracks for The Crayons...............

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Do you know what i love about this whole thread is that certain people (me not included, cause i didnt think of 'em) are mentioning a band called Hooray for humans, these guys were posting a request for a new drummer only a matter of weeks ago on this very site. Does anyone else think that is very rock and roll or is it just me? God i love that whole aspect of music. One day a nobody the next a drummer in a band that have just released an album that in my humble opinion is well for lack of a better word "class". I mean come on, 06 forever, CCCCHHHOOOOOONNN. Sorry im very drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

fight like apes
    adebisi shank
    fighting with wire
    boss volenti
    hooray for humans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Do you know what i love about this whole thread is that certain people (me not included, cause i didnt think of 'em) are mentioning a band called Hooray for humans, these guys were posting a request for a new drummer only a matter of weeks ago on this very site. Does anyone else think that is very rock and roll or is it just me? God i love that whole aspect of music. One day a nobody the next a drummer in a band that have just released an album that in my humble opinion is well for lack of a better word "class". I mean come on, 06 forever, CCCCHHHOOOOOONNN. Sorry im very drunk

you think thats funny? they set themselves up about a year ago with exactly the same sort of advert. WANTED BAND (pretty much). anyone with a bit of talent could potentially have been in the band. why didnt i apply!
    the song signature is class as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

Eh, to be fair, the drummer they ended up going with was someone they already knew from a band they had toured with (Ghostwood Project)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Delorentos
    Jape
    Pier Nineteen (http://www.myspace.com/p19)
    Disconnect 4 (http://www.myspace.com/thedisconnect4)
    The Blizzards.

Got to mention the Kanyu Tree (http://www.myspace.com/thekanyutree) aswell....they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

pariko wrote: »
    Eh, to be fair, the drummer they ended up going with was someone they already knew from a band they had toured with (Ghostwood Project)!

whats your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Not in any top 5s this year, but here's hoping for 2008 ... http://www.myspace.com/newamusement

Jamey wrote: »
    Delorentos
    Jape
    Pier Nineteen (http://www.myspace.com/p19)
    Disconnect 4 (http://www.myspace.com/thedisconnect4)
    The Blizzards.

Got to mention the Kanyu Tree (http://www.myspace.com/thekanyutree) aswell....they're great.

Iv mentioned Disconnect 4 on this forum myself, people really should have a listen to their track "running with scissors" its excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Fight like apes and jape

Iv mentioned Disconnect 4 on this forum myself, people really should have a listen to their track "running with scissors" its excellent.

Yeah it's a great song alright. I think the new song uploaded lately, 'Say what you said' is better though, real energy in it and it's great sing-a-long song

Jamey wrote: »
    Yeah it's a great song alright. I think the new song uploaded lately, 'Say what you said' is better though, real energy in it and it's great sing-a-long song

Havnt heard that one yet. I'll have to check it out.
    Whats the craic with them, are they starting to get a following in the Galway area?

Havnt heard that one yet. I'll have to check it out.
    Whats the craic with them, are they starting to get a following in the Galway area?

Yeah they are definitely. The last time I saw them was a headline gig (no support) in DeBurgos on a Saturday night and that was pretty packed. They pulled off a great show that night. They also put 'House party afterwards' on their gig flyers and posters, that's always gonna pull in the crowds too;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Bawl,
    Sack,
    Whipping Boy,
    Future Kings of Spain,
    the Revenants.

Yes, i am for the most part, stuck in a time warp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bashe

I think its a really good time to be a muso in ireland with the amazing amount of Quality coming up over the last few months.

My five tips for the top!

The Kanyu Tree

- Uneral Band, Easy listening a mix between teenage fan club and the jackson 5.... im serious!

The Barricades

- Great musicians, Really catchy indie Tunes and the best live show i'v ever seen!

The Hot Sprockets

- Hillbilly rock, Feel good tunes much to the style of kings of leon, Sounds like Fun times, never seen there live show though

Doctor Pavement

- Great songs, Front man has an amazing voice, Really fresh sound! hail from Tallaght

Murder of Crows

- Cock rock at its finest - Check them out!

Get to see these bands, Especially the first two, I promise you will enjoy!

Bashe x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Steeplechase

Grand Pocket Orchestra
    Fight Like Apes
    Butterfly Explosion
    Adebisi Shank
    Hooray For Humans

bubbling under...

Dry County
    The Terribles
    Groom
    Estel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Fight Like Apes are the next big thing in this country I think. My friends Kat & Apollo made introductions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 unseenother

i second Grand pocket orchestra. great band judging by the demos i've heard.

still to see them live though.

another one to check out is Hoarsebox. great songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i find fight like apes to be everything that's wrong with modern 'indie' music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 unseenother

fight like apes just go over my head.

i don't get the whole reliance on novelty and comedy even though they have some good tunes. it makes it hard for me to take them seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 artie ziff

there prob aren't 5 good indie bands in ireland. i've only heard selected snippets from fight like apes and although they are good, for some reason i don't hold too much hope for them. the rags are prob the best around and how would you class republic of loose? if they are indie, i like them too.

sad rant aside, melaton are still the best irish band i've ever heard. does anyone know where i can get their music? those were the days

artie ziff wrote: »
    there prob aren't 5 good indie bands in ireland. i've only heard selected snippets from fight like apes and although they are good, for some reason i don't hold too much hope for them. the rags are prob the best around and how would you class republic of loose? if they are indie, i like them too.

Regarding The Republic of Loose it really depends on your definition of "indie".
    If your talking music then in comparison to what we generally regard as indie nowadays I would say no, they are not an indie band.

If your talking about the spirit of "indie" then I would say deinitally yes.
    Infact much more so than some bands that have been mentioned on this thread as they are an independent outfit that release their own music as apposed to being signed to a label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bashe

Big fan of the rags myself,

"What did we learn from a world war, Start a new war!"

C>H>U>N>E

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

The Immediate are really good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement