Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Xmas 2004

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Nothing in Lusk lying this morning:( Looks very cloudy out though

zap wrote:
    stopped snowing now will it snow heavily after dinner?
    It's very likely Zap,the risk runs higher towards evening.
    The snow has stopped here too(that went on for roughly 90 mins) but its very cloudy and as I'm sure weathercheck will tell you theres more showers on the way.
    Temps still reading 0 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

15 miles up the N11 from Earthman and not a sign of what he's just witnessed, in fact just had a little sunshine, but I can confirm that I did get the lightest of snow flurries as there is a little evidence on some timber. Generaly the snowline is about 100m (300ft)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

wat the addy for the radar compliments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just a note on late afternoon snow possibilities :)
    Showers are expected to merge the west of Ulster
    and move down the country. Eastern areas are at
    risk of a trough feature moving down the Irish sea
    aswell :)

• Advertisement

Eastern areas are at
    risk of a trough feature moving down the Irish sea
    aswell :)
    The Beeb are tending that way as well.
    It shall be an interesting day.
    The hills to the west of here in South Wicklow look like they have had a good dumping.
    Theres no way I'm going up there after the last time-had to get a tractor to pull me out of the ditch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My car this morning + view from upstairs window....Whitish Christmas

Merry Christmas to all.......

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Good Morning All!

Got up at 6 AM to see if all this was wishful thinking. :) And it was a glorious sight to behold. A snow shower and was sticking to certain surfaces. It had stopped by around 7 AM and there is only about almost an inch on the ground :( . But it's well better than nothing on Christmas Morning :D

Btw could everyone say what depth the snow is where they are (if any)? Just to let ya know, i live roughly 3 miles as the crow flies NNW of Drogheda, at an altitude of about 350 feet. NRA measurement on Dunleer bypass:

Time: 0801
    Air Temp: 0.7 Celsius
    Humidity: 94%
    Windspeed: 7.4 mph
    Wind direction: South-Westerly
    Road surface temp: -0.2 Celcius

Is it likely that there will be further snow accumulations later on today around here? I want more than 2 damn cm and I want reparitions for last February's let-down ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

Arklow Bypass Dec 25, 09:03 0.9° C. -0.2° C. Wet & Treated 90% 6.3 mph Northerly No recent rainfall

The snow has gone for now, poor council workers out gritting roads on Christmas day

Just outside my house it's -0.5° C

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Got up at 8 and not a sign of a flak, just got up now and everywhere is white, this is what dreams are made of, nice covering in Tullow in Co. Carlow. Ho HO HO

• Advertisement

Before i set down to my fry up and go of to my annual trip to church
    i'll give ye all an update :D

BTW Earthman what link are you talking aobut, bit confused :o:D

Well showers will pack into the north and west and will
    feed south and east through the day. A feature later
    today around 5pm which is expected to flirt with eastern
    areas is very iteresting, unfortunetly the feature is warm-cored
    and so areas bang under it will probably see only sleet, these
    are likely to be around east NI otherwise a feed of persistent
    precipitation is likely this evening in eastern and northern
    parts with appreciable snowfall away from coasts :)

the developing feature is northwest of Scotty at the MO

http://www.metoffice.com/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ive just woken up and will have to eat my words.. it has snowed here in meath too altho it is very very light covering, about 1 or 2mm deep, not even enough to make a decent snowball but still its there and its officailly a white christmas and it looks pretty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

White here in Westport. The snow is largish spheres, not quite hail. You can see the grass through it... but a white Christmas it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Snow in Dublin, yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Beautiful White Christmas scenes here in Tuam area of Co. Galway! :)
    Hope it lasts...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any pics lads ?
    A friend of mine from NIreland says they have about 4 inches of snow on the ground..am insanly jealous, just a rapidly melting dusting here in Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Snowing right now in Laois. Will post pics later after foodage!

Lads tonight could be interesting that feature
    to the west of Scotland has been identified
    as a polar low and is expected to enter NI
    and move down the east coast later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Now Weathercheck don't be getting me all excited again!! ...the words "polar" and "low" sends a shiver of expectation down my spine :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sun is out in carlow and the sun is begining to disappear, wait hold that, it's snowing again, a sun shower of snow on christmas, this really is a sight!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing down here at all, clear skies.

Mike.

Heres an interesting message on a UK forum about tonights
    feature, UK based hence only mentioning NI :)

Just another quick update

Watch that feature showing on IR as a swirl of cloud out over the Outer Hebrides and to their NW. This is a polar low type feature (probably the same one I was looking at in the early hours) and it's intensifying, and has got strong winds plus snow associated with it. Main highly populated risk area at this stage looks to be Northern Ireland where some quite rough conditions could occur later on today.

METO suggestions are that it will move through the Irish Sea tonight but we'll worry about that later.

Elsewhere plenty of Cbs continue to move through with snow quite widespread now in N/W UK areas. Thunder scattered about with some of the bigger showers. Snowing again here as I type this.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

It has got really quite dark here in Westport now (10:36) with solid grey cloud cover and large light flurries are streaming down at a 25° angle. Weather widget says it's 1°C in Castlebar, but... "partly cloudy"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Just got up this morning and there is snow everywhere !! Happy Christmas EVERYBODY !!!!!!!!!! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

We have snow in Limerick, Hoorah. Only problem though is that its not stickin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Snow in Ballybofey overnight. I awoke to a beautiful white Christmas morning with a light layer of pure real snow everywhere.

It looks like a picture postcard Christmas scene, perfect dry crisp snow all over as far as the eye can see.

The sky is slate grey and there are small clusters of fluffy snowdrops in the air. I think it is really trying to snow more heavily.

I will post another report about 6:00pm.

Merry Christmas. :D

P.

Shower now approaching here and interests
    growing by the minute about that feature
    west of Scotland. Rumour has it it will cause
    blizzards over NI and spread sown the Irish sea
    affecting eastern areas :D Oh how i love Christmas :D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it is snowing REALLY HEAVY here in meath now:D wonder how long will it last... the blades of grass are starting to dissapear under a beautifull white winter wonderland carpet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Large cloud mass to NW northside Dublin just moving in quickly, sky looks that solid brightish grey. Snow slightly and definatley getting heavier as i type moving sse id guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is the snow heading south at all? What fell here is melting away:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement