Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Xmas 2004

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Its pretty much all gone now, but we did have some nice whiteness for a time.
    link

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Trotter wrote:
    Whats the latest from Tramore Sully? Its still throwin that messy cold rain over here nearer to town.

Tramore Update:- Well when it looked like it was going to snow, it ended up as a sleet shower. Nothing special to report now, same conditions - cold and wet. Looks like its over for the night. :\

Although the last time I saw the Weather Foracast on RTE it said more to come down my area but somehow I doubt it!

At least some places in Ireland got a White Christmas!

- Sully ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

An excellant day and shows the hidden interest in weather
    i'll be round here in future helping ye lads out when that
    severe Easterly blast arrives sometime in January 2035

And dont rule any other light flurries out tonight still a fair
    few showers across norhtern and western parts :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭mike2084

Just like to add a report from the South West (Listowel). No snow to speak of but several heavy hail showers have left the place sodden. Thunder and Lightining here at about this time last night (2252 24-12).

I have to work in the bookies tomorrow. Whats the chance of the courses freezing or waterlogging and me getting another day off ;) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we have another shower outside but this time its rain:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

All finished here in Tramore. Clear Skys, a lot less colder and pretty wet!

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

2 pics I took at one of my sites today (Rossmore, just a few km south-west of Carlow town, approx 1050ft asl):
    http://www.southeastwan.org/images/nodes/rossmore/P1010002.JPG

http://www.southeastwan.org/images/nodes/rossmore/P1010007.JPG

Also got some snow at home here in Co.Wexford (approx half way between New Ross & Wexford town) - place was white here in the morning, but melted away from everything but the ditches during the day - a few light showers during the day werent enough to start sticking. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hmm cud we be having more snow perhaps around new years day? http://www2.wetter3.de/animation.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

A truly magical & memorable Christmas Day 2004. Another one for the history books.

Well done Weatherman & Earthman , I really enjoyed it thanks :D .

Finally, at 00:39am Boxing day. It is calm and cool and wet outside in Ballybofey , and I am off to bed well satisfied and content after all the fun ;) .

P.

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    A truly magical & memorable Christmas Day 2004. Another one for the history books.

Finally, at 00:39am Boxing day. It is calm and cool and wet outside in Ballybofey , and I am off to bed well satisfied and content after all the fun ;) .

P.

Well said. Totally agree, without Weatherman, Earthman and the rest of you guys keeping us updated - Xmas 2004 "White Xmas Watch" wouldnt of been as good and memorable.

Indeed this Christmas is a memorial one for many, lets hope that Global Warming has not irradicated Snow completely! And, hopefully this aint the last of the snow for the next few days - Jan :P

Cheers guys, was a good laugh!

- Sully

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Paddy20 wrote:

P.
    Hear, hear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

well the snow might be gone but its still going to be better off to stay at home because of surface ice on roads, due to both fallen snow and wet roads.

good night if your into stargasing though, managed to pick up a star in this image of the moon taken with an ordinary digital camera.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~billythesquid/40600003.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A breezy cold 5C with clear sky. Snowline is about 180m (600ft)

Did get to see some flakes, haven't had opportunity to drive the 5 miles, but even then there would be not much as there was not much precipitation in this part.

Theres a little bit left in the garden here this morning and the ditches.
    About 4 miles to the west as the crow flies theres a good cover down to Ballyfad across the bottom of croghan and over to ballycoog.
    I'll presume that goes over to Aughrim but I cant see that far.

Temp about 4 here and rising so should be all gone soon.

I was surprised to see the grass and some places had a reasonable
    dusting this morning it would of looked good if it hadnt of gotten
    dark and i'd just like to leave with telling you that we did much
    better than Britain from this cold snap :eek: :D

Neither i nor the Met got it rignt so were even stevens now wheres
    the next cold snap, i want more :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have to say I did fairly well out of it all. The lawn has 6 cms on it though the driveway snow has mainly melted. Still enough snow to make a snowman:)

This has been the first "proper" snowfall for me since Feb 2001, Shrove Tuesday I remember it was. No electricity for 4 hours though it came back in time for the pancakes :D . I remember having to do a lot of sweeping outside to clear snow and ny neighbour had to get his bulldozer to clear the higher roads in my area (alt. 600 ft). The sunday after that, I could still find drifts 40 cms deep.

Everyone refers to 1982 but my parents can remember 1978 very well: My dad told me you couldn't tell where the road was even though the hedges are 3-4 feet high. I hope more easterlies come in the future and Louth will again become the home of snow :)

One last thing, I'd like to thank Earthman and Weathercheck for their valuable contributions over the past few days. It was all an enlightening experience and keep up the good work guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Only a light dusting outside of Wexford town-HOWEVER I'm very happy as paddypower have paid out on both my snow bets

Snowfall to be officially registered at Dublin Airport on Christmas Day 2004 @ 4 - 1

and

An inch of snowfall to be recorded at Dublin Airport on Christmas Day 2004 @ 12 - 1

WAHOOOO!!

jd

Ye i won 65 Euro :D:D

Everyone refers to 1982 but my parents can remember 1978 very well: My dad told me you couldn't tell where the road was even though the hedges are 3-4 feet high.
    I'm old enough to remember both I was tiny though, but I can tell you that there was 6 inches or more of snow round here that time with 3 or 4 ft drifts but twasn't a patch on 1982.
    In 82 the road to here was blocked for a week where the snow covered over 12 ft ditches (at sea level!) there were helicopters dropping food parcels all across the higher ground in wicklow.
    That croghan area that I'm on about only 4 miles from here had drifts up to the top of the trees , thats at an altitude of between 1000 and 2000ft, those drifts were 30ft deep.
    We had no electricity for 3 days during the storm but the phone was working and we got a call from an Aunt a few miles away at about 800ft asl who had snow drifts up to the upstairs bedroom window such that they could climb out from there.

Now that was a snow fall!!! that would make 6 or 8 cm's look like frost :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I remember the snow of '82. I was in Dublin and we had a great time although there was a shortage of the basic food items because of the snow.

Worst cold snap for me was Glasgow Christmas & New Year 1995 when the River Clyde in the city centre tuned to ice and night-time temperatures reached -20'C (daytime about -5'C). The pipes in the flat I was in froze and the whole tenement pipes burst when the thaw arrived. We were then flooded and had to live in in the siting room for a month until we got another place.

we still have lying now around, about an inch in places but its unusable all frosty and horrible.... roll on 2 weeks of easterlys and 6 feet snow drifts countrywide:)

And on that note...
    I've decided not to merge this thread I'm leaving it as it is but I'll change the title to White Xmas 2004.
    I'll lock it tomorrow, it stays open for now if anyone wants to post any more snow pics :)

You know, Tramore just had a VERY small bit of snow (a few flakes)!

Pitty we didnt get a White XMas. :(

- SullY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

was up in Ticknock this morning, nice bit of snow up there for Dubliners missing it all :D

HeH yeah,I suggested weathercheck go up there with his taboggan :D
    Closing thread now and reopening rain and shine for the daily reports.
    If you have any photos you want added to this upload them to your boards space and pm me the link and I shall add them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement