Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Xmas 2004

Options
  • 21-12-2004 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

It will be a white christmas but whether you wake upto
    lying snow on Christmas is in the balance but looking
    ever likely :) All but the far south and southeast
    can expect at very least a snow shower on the big day
    but most likely is that a disturbance will push south
    sometime late Christmas even and into Christmas day :)

But remember a white Christmas is a flake of snow falling
    well thats how the bookies see it :)

Comments

But remember a white Christmas is a flake of snow falling
    well thats how the bookies see it :)
    Well thats how some see it-ie recorded snowfall at the location as opposed to lying snow.
    Celtic bookmakers require a cm of lying snow at Dublin airport for Dublin.

As regards 0 degrees by day on the East coast I doubt it.It would definitely be the case if there was lying snow alright but it has to settle first.

20 centimetres in the North? Thats 10 inches or almost a foot which hasn't happened in a long time...

I see met Éireann tonight are going for the Atlantic shower activity model and North, northwesterlies with the highest risk of lying snow across the north and down along western counties and down right onto the south west.
    That seems about right to me.

You get a feed of polar air over the warmer sea and the Atlantic holding a lot more water than the Irish sea, you could get some very heavy hail sleet and snow showers in the south west.
    The risk is low in the East though, especially the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well i go by measuring using a 30cm ruler which
    is 12 inches so 20 cms is about 8 inches and abit
    more than half a foot if im not right?? :)

And yes i do expect the northwest to get pasted :)

Latest Fax charts are suplime to say the least they
    show a trough moving south on Christmas Eve Night
    and then one affecting the Eastern half of Ireland
    on Stephen's day :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hmmm, interesting forecast by Evlyn Cusack at 00.25.

Thurles 75%
    Dublin 75%
    Sligo 85%
    Dundalk 85%

Hats off to Weathercheck so far. ;)

Danno wrote:
    Hmmm, interesting forecast by Evlyn Cusack at 00.25.

Thurles 75%
    Dublin 75%
    Sligo 85%
    Dundalk 85%

Hats off to Weathercheck so far. ;)
    Well Dundalk and Sligo are and always were in the firing line for weather from the North.
    Dublin too but less so.
    As for Thurles well that gets hit because it normally gets wet showery weather from the atlantic which when cold enough would be snow.

For snow lovers though I would always add a word of caution and that is, (a) it's early still and you are talking about dragging temperatures down by 12 degrees in the space of 36 hrs,I'm not saying that won't happen but it would be phenominal.
    (b) we had a similar scenario in february of last year mothman summed up what happened

I dont see any problems at draggin temps down
    from 12c this chart shows the 850hpa temps
    and shows them steasdily falling. The front introducing
    the cold weather should cool down the dew points as such :)

03969_00.gif?9d37510600c708a7570526a94d9e5a0c

Its going to be a 48hr wonder but i think if it doesnt go tits
    up 70% of Ireland will wake up to a white Xmas :)

And i think our luck will have changed after last
    years disaster but there is one important
    difference to what happened last year. This northerly
    is much further west placing the coldest conditons and
    wettest over US .

This chart shows the synoptics last year:
    Rrea00120040227.gif

The pressure was just too high and thus we it duely drizzled here in Dublin

Heres our Christmas Cold Spell as Predicted today:
    Rtavn781.gif

As can be seen the cold spell is much further west and Ireland
    under a very cold airmass and also the pressure instead of being
    1010mb in last years cold snap is 990mb bringing an increased
    liklihood of more intense precip :D

• Advertisement

You know when the weather forecaster has a big grin
    on her face with loads of snow symbols on the map
    behind that things are looking good :D:D:D:p

Ulster looks like gettin pasted and she even
    had snow in Dublin on Xmas Day and that without
    mention of troughs :D

If a polar low forms which it might to the north of
    Ulster it could bring a foot of snow to ulster and
    other locations, just to warn you of that for Xmas
    Day usually these cant be predicted until 18-24hrs
    before the event so be careful. There is a 30% chance
    of one of these forming :)

hi just to let you know i'll be issuing a detailed forecast
    tonight at around 8pm pin pointing locations most at
    risk from the snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Astro1996

Hey weathercheck, is net-weather.co.uk down? cant read the forums error 404? :mad:

Yes is down for me
    There server was near breakin point for the past 2 weeks
    it was only a matter of time :)

By the way the Irish Met have issued a Severe Weather Warning :D

Severe weather warning
    Met Eireann advisory of severe winter weather over the Christmas weekend Issued 1500 Wednesday 22nd December 2004 The weather will turn very cold across Ireland through Friday, Christmas Eve, and remain very cold through Christmas Day and St Stephens Day. Strong Northwest winds will bring wintry showers across the country; these will fall as hail, sleet and snow in many areas. Each weekend night will bring a sharp or severe frost. There will be a high risk of icy patches developing on the roads countrywide. Risk of significant accumulations (greater than 3cm) of snow at low levels Severe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Exciting times indeed, one thing I would say is that the models frequently move these systems further east closer to the forcast time frame...
    I think unless there is troughs running down the Irish sea (or dream scenario for snow lovers a polar low) the likes of Dublin is very unlikely to see much .
    I'd say if we (Dublin) get anything it will be from a trough or polar low and then will get a nice dumping..or we'll get nothing at all without them.
    Certainly I'd go along with Weatherchecks forecast temps, Dublin usually is very very cold with a northwesterly wind of polar origin ..but often that equates to dry air and very little precipitation. Even if Dublin is 3c+ ..dew points are likely to be signifcantly below zero so in any precipitation, its likely to plummet temps and fall as sleet/snow.
    All to play for at the moment, very exciting times for snow lovers (like me!!) though :))

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

OK i've lost it im heading into full ramp mode

Look at that cold front swinging south
    Xmas eve night!!!!!

Just Look!!!! :)
    brack1a.gif

Ramp full steam ahead as band of snow
    pushes south through xmas eve night
    followed by loads of showers countrywide...

A widspread white christmas with upto 10cm'sa
    of snow nationwide :D:D

Lol ...ramp away m8..look at where the 528 dam is!!! whoo hooo ...still a little early to take these features as gospel tho :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Well the ingredients are stacking up now alright (if mother nature doesnt change her mind)

Now I need 6 or 7 volunteers to round up the cattle tomorrow and put them in the shed in preparation for this...

Willing bodies post below :D

You know things are looking good when Earthman is
    beginning to ramp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

I'll be putting up some maps later for ye snow lovers :D:D

Dreams are made of this someone wake me up !!! :D

Heh-is that a yes then to herding up the cattle? :D

I've split the old posts off this thread and recreated the winter forecast thread.
    This thread will be renamed it's to be a white Christmas and stickified untill the Xmas Snowy spell is over.

I'll re sticky the winter forecast thread in it's place at that point.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Hi all,

New to this forum in as far as registering but have been following your thoughts on snow for Christmas for the last week - felt I had to register as I am now getting very excited at the prospect of a white Christmas!
    Every winter I hope and hope that there will be snow (I think its down to the magic memory of '82- was only six then but still a precious memory!).
    I just hope it happens in Dublin, specifically nth Dublin where I am too. Will keep on eye on things here and countdown the hours till the big day!
    - probably will do my usual (which will sound really sad!!) and set my alarm for around 4am to see if it has been snowing on the night!!! Outside of reading this forum I felt I was alone in my dreams of snow!

Any predicitons for January? - have heard reports of lots of cold weather then too

hiya Felix whereabouts are you im in Portmarnock :)

Dont expect anything really severe of Christmas the cold
    spell is only looking like lasting 48hr but its the timing
    thats exceptional. I think if that front moves south
    as shown in the fax chart here in North Dublin we can
    expect over 5cm's of snow if were lucky :D

I havent seen lying snow since the good old blizzard of
    2001, febuary 27th to be exact lol!! :D

That night i stayed up every single hour watching the snow!!

And i'll do the same this Friday :D:p

Hi, Im in Lusk where it seems to get colder then it did when I lived in Coolock - maybe wishful thinking!
    Lets just keep our fingers crossed that front will move in and give us a nice blizzard and lots of snow. Dont really mind if its short lived, just to get some will do me till January!
    2001 was great, I remember driving somewhere and loving every minute of it! My girlfriend was with me in the car and couldnt understand my delight of being caught in a blizzard!
    I will also be up Friday night eagerly awaiting the first snow flakes! - you reckon it will happen Friday night?

Felixdhc wrote:
    Outside of reading this forum I felt I was alone in my dreams of snow!

Believe me you are not alone in this..most weather boards are full of people who feel just the same..have a look at TWO and UKWW as good cases in point and both have many Irish members. Both boards have pro meteorologists and enthustiastic amateurs alike posting on them..and very frequently you find ..that snow fascination is common :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

any snow for around new years day? these charts show snow dangerously close to ireland/uk again http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_18_UTC/180_30.gif

Hi Longfield, certainly appears I am not alone! Thing is I will be fixed on the thoughts of snow now till Friday and if it doesnt happen I will be so disappointed! I reckon it will though, had a vision of my car covered in snow in the driveway!

Gonzo wrote:
    any snow for around new years day? these charts show snow dangerously close to ireland/uk again http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_18_UTC/180_30.gif

To be honest..what happens that far ahead is anyones guess, the charts are all over the place that far ahead ..

The Dublin Ensemble shows this pretty well...

MT8_Dublin_ens.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Does this mean we are likely to get snow in Glasgow from Friday night? currently 10.2'C outside after some pretty heavy rain and high winds last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

If we don't get snow, I'm going to bring ye to court :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Felixdhc wrote:
    [
    2001 was great, I remember driving somewhere and loving every minute of itMy girlfriend was with me in the car and couldnt understand my delight of being caught in a blizzard!

As someone who spent the night stranded in a ford cortina just north of Murtaghs of ballough in the snow of 82 I'm with your Girlfriend on that one. At the first sign of snow now I head for home and stay there until it melts.

Weathercheck I too have been following your predictiions and herself who is terribly excited at the prospect of a white christmas is looking for regular updates on the chances so I will continue to follow this thread. I'm in Swords BTW,

Keep up the good work

The Muppet wrote:
    As someone who spent the night stranded in a ford cortina just north of Murtaghs of ballough in the snow of 82 I'm with your Girlfriend on that one. At the first sign of snow now I head for home and stay there until it melts.

That I think might be a different story and I can imagine not very nice! I was within walking distance from home if needed be. I know my uncle had to leave his car back in '82 and walk for two hours! Still think I might enjoy it though!!!

Praetorian wrote:
    If we don't get snow, I'm going to bring ye to court :)

LOL And if i do get it right???? !!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

You get nothing.

Welcome to my world. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=5081

The fire better be stoked up on Christmas Morning round my sisters place...!

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement