Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

An update from the great man earlier anyway:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1261126114799468549

Who is this a shout to I wonder!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Once again I ask myself if its a real tweet from the real president. It doesn't quite beat the joe biden meme from a few weeks ago :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,698 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Believe it or not there aren't that many "crazies" here. At least not in my experience. Just normal people going about their lives. I suppose they might be activated if trump tweets a certain word or phrase and take up arms terminator style. Who knows?

Good for you.

Doesn't negate the fact that Trump has a history of whipping up the crazies for personal gain and wouldn't think twice about doing it if he lost an election.

Anyone who thinks he wouldn't, needs "to get a grip like".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    But the original point was about what trump may do. Not who would follow?

the original point was how trump would incite violence that leads to deaths if he loses the election. I just can't see that happening sorry. Maybe I'm naive but the people I know are normal people, my neighbors are normal people. They'd help you out in a heartbeat. I just don't think America is on the knife edge that people think or hope.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Once again I ask myself if its a real tweet from the real president. It doesn't quite beat the joe biden meme from a few weeks ago :pac:

Yeah. There's a lot going on in that one tweet. Think my favourite part is the "(ad agencies)" bit. What a guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

An update from the great man earlier anyway:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1261126114799468549

Who is this a shout to I wonder!?

I could probably name one or two but it's not worth the ban :D

Boggles wrote: »
    Good for you.

Doesn't negate the fact that Trump has a history of whipping up the crazies for personal gain and wouldn't think twice about doing it if he lost an election.

Anyone who thinks he wouldn't, needs "to get a grip like".

And anyone who thinks it will lead to the downfall of America seriously does need to get a grip like. Like, totally. Lol

And anyone who thinks it will lead to the downfall of America seriously does need to get a grip like. Like, totally. Lol

Who has said "it will lead to the downfall of America" ?

the original point was how trump would incite violence that leads to deaths if he loses the election. I just can't see that happening sorry. Maybe I'm naive but the people I know are normal people, my neighbors are normal people. They'd help you out in a heartbeat. I just don't think America is on the knife edge that people think or hope.

A sorry I missed the leading to death bit.

I guess the fact we are not really ruling out him trying to incite violence but there being enough sane people to stop anything happening is not a good look anyway!

I agree with you, most people will help you and are decent people.

Who has said "it will lead to the downfall of America" ?

have you read this thread at all?

• Advertisement

Literally no one claimed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Again, ceadoin, we have lots of examples of Trump siding with the more extreme aspects, claiming voting fraud, claiming the deep state, claiming the FBI and CIA are totally corrupt (scum I think he called them), siding with Russia over US intelligence, claiming senators and Reps are lying and frauds, calling the media the enemy of the people.

We also have the clear fact that despite widespread and acknowledge Russian interference in the 2016 election he has done nothing to curb it, or indeed from any other country.

We saw the GOP in 2016 turn against all previous norms to refuse to appoint a SCOTUS due to Obama last year, McConnell is still there so it can be easily argued that he would be open to looking at bending the rules to suit his party.

So we have all this, and much much more than I have previously raised on which to base our worry. What are you basing your dismissal of all of this on?

We also know that gun violence is a massive issue in the US, and that there are plenty of people that feel that the US is under attack from liberals, the elites, Wall Street, the media, women, black people, muslims, asians etc etc pick your title.

So, it is not too much of a stretch to think that the same people currently holding protests against their own government for trying to control a virus, will be pretty aggrieved if their man, the man that was going to MAGA, has been robbed of the WH through a combination of HC, Obama, Deep State, LGBT, Liberals, Commies or whatever.

have you read this thread at all?

I have, I haven't seen anyone use those words so could you link me to the post where someone said "it will lead to the downfall of America" please?

I have, I haven't seen anyone use those words so could you link me to the post where someone said "it will lead to the downfall of America" please?

Yes I will. It may not be those exact words but that is the general gist of several posts on this thread. But for now, its late so goodnight

Yes I will. It may not be those exact words but that is the general gist of several posts on this thread. But for now, its late so goodnight

I can't back up what I said so I'm going to bed.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

Fantastic piece in today's Irish Times (from the FT).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/his-own-worst-enemy-how-trump-failed-coronavirus-challenge-1.4253533

You really get a picture of Trump's place in history emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Would be interesting to see congress launch an investigation into the administrations response. Id love to know if the reports of Trump ignoring intel about the virus in January are true. https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0515/1138527-us-whistleblower/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Y6vg7ru.jpg?1

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Y6vg7ru.jpg?1

Homer's heart was always in the right place!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,925 ✭✭✭✭walshb

plodder wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/his-own-worst-enemy-how-trump-failed-coronavirus-challenge-1.4253533

Some piece

The more and more I follow this the more I blame the people surrounding Trump.

He is beyond redemption and help. He is simply a nut.....

But the people around him, part of his team, standing by him, beside him, and working for him......they are the oxygen.....

I am including Faucci and Birx....Are they that desperate to be in the spotlight ere that they would allow their name and character to be associated with him?

They are all complicit in Trump's reign of madness...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

When all is said and done, he'll go down as the greatest disaster of the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

walshb wrote: »
    Some piece

But the people around him, part of his team, standing by him, beside him, and working for him......they are the oxygen.....

I am including Faucci and Birx....Are they that desperate to be in the spotlight ere that they would allow their name and character to be associated with him?

Yeah, I defy anybody to read that piece and not think that Trump has been a complete and utter disaster for the US.

In terms of those around him, it is easy to say they should do more, but as the piece point out, and we have seen many examples of it, speaking out tends to lead to your removal. And not just removal, they will work hard to drag down your character. That is a lot to contemplate with the very likelihood that speaking out effectively means the end of ones career, probably livelihood and that you and your family will be then become the target for abuse.

I would like to think I would be strong and principled enough to make a stand, but I know even from my own, totally unimportant job, that sometimes speaking the truth ends up costing you and makes little to know real difference.

Some piece

I don't think Fauci is desperate to be in the spotlight. Looks almost reluctant to come to the podium at the Task Force briefings.

And most times he did he just pleaded with the American people to stay away from each other. The best way we know to fight it currently. I think he just wants to help save lives.

I don't think Fauci is desperate to be in the spotlight. Looks almost reluctant to come to the podium at the Task Force briefings.

And most times he did he just pleaded with the American people to stay away from each other. The best way we know to fight it currently. I think he just wants to help save lives.

Yes

I agree....ok, not being desperate to be in the spotlight...

But my point is that these people putting themselves under his leadership and control and working with him is what is America's problem

Faucii and others are leaders in their own right. Trump has clearly shown noting but idiocy and contempt and hostility....

Why are these people associating with him? It's a team effort this, and they are as complicit in this shambolic handling as he is...by aligning themselves to him, that makes them complicit...

America needs people with real backbone, integrity, morals and principles....anyone associating with Trump loses all that in my view....

Leroy42 wrote: »

I would like to think I would be strong and principled enough to make a stand, but I know even from my own, totally important job, that sometimes speaking the truth ends up costing you and makes little to know real difference.

I see your point.

But it is not like these people are not capable of recovering and moving on. They are all highly educated people....

But, seem to be lacking common sense and integrity, if they are continuing to be part of this man's personal crusade of madness....

So, yes.....Trump is not D problem: It's the people that surround him and feed him that are.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yeah, I defy anybody to read that piece and not think that Trump has been a complete and utter disaster for the US.

It's absolutely a damning indictment on the man's capabilities...

I read a comment from a commentator today who called him boring and fake....

So spot on. It's all an act and play for Trump. He cares not an iota for the position the people, or for the good he can do. It's just a stage for him to act....terribly boring man. An act that, unfortunately, can do a lot of harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

I see your point.

But it is not like these people are not capable of recovering and moving on. They are all highly educated people....

But, seem to be lacking common sense and integrity, if they are continuing to be part of this man's personal crusade of madness....

So, yes.....Trump is not D problem: It's the people that surround him and feed him that are.

Fauci is 80. He shouldn't give two fcuks what Trump may or may not do. He should have publicly lambasted him in some of those press conferences and also outside them. The absolute tripe he has been spinning went unchallenged. Birx was kissing his ass from day one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

If he loses in November I expect him to claim shenanigans and even encourage people to fight the result which may lead in deaths.

If he gets another four years I fully expect him to use that time to solidify his base and attempt to find a way to stay for longer. Wether this is through emergency legislation due to war or some other way will have to be seen.

Do you really believe that first part of your post? I mean you do actually think it's within the realms of possibility that a sitting US president would encourage his supporters to go out and fight the result of a democratic election with violence?

Do you know how ludicrously crazy that sounds? I don't think I can take you seriously when you come out with stuff like that because, that opinion has no basis in reality at all.

Similarly the majority of the second part of your post is more crazy nonsense. How would it even be possible for him to pass emergency legislation to give him another term it can't and won't happen and for you to even suggest it is more crazy nonsense. The only way he could legitimately end up serving a third term would be as you have already mentioned due to war same as with FDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

plodder wrote: »

Trump presidency is like watching an episode of splitting image, it's totally farcical and absent of anything regarding logic or common sense. It's as if lying and gibberish are accepted by Trumps cult of followers as the voice of reason. Nothing Trump does or says surprises me.

What surprises me is that so many supposedly educated people buy into Trumps Presidency. Trump presidency will go down in American history as the era when America had a mentally challenged narcissistic steering the country towards an iceberg.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    Fauci is 80. He shouldn't give two fcuks what Trump may or may not do. He should have publicly lambasted him in some of those press conferences and also outside them. The absolute tripe he has been spinning went unchallenged. Birx was kissing his ass from day one too.

Exactly....

Nobody should give two fooks about "what Trump will do to them." Whatever that means..

Stand up, be counted, and show you gumption, integrity, class and morals for chrissake....

Instead of sitting there and being part of this man's craziness...

And I have zero sympathy for these people like Faucci and Birx. They are there because they want to be there, and both know that the man is a mess, and is also undermining them at every turn...

Advertisement