Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,865 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Imagine a president that was about to sign a big trade deal with another country and he turned around and said oh sorry I need to go back and run this by xyz because I don't have ultimate control over the decision making process he'd be laughed at the second he left the negotiating table.

Any trade deals Trump signs are just photo ops.

They have to be passed by congress, not only that any intention to trade, congress has to be notified.

Are you thinking of a fictional president?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Do you actually think he's being serious with that comment? I mean are you really that deluded? It's clearly meant as a joke, you and everyone else knows that he can't be a president for life. Therefore taking that statement literally is idiototic.

Back tracking again. He never said anything about being a dictator, oh he did say it but it was a joke, just like injecting bleach and getting uv light into the body. Hes just a reincarnation of Richard Pryor.

If theres one thing thats idiotic its not knowing that everything that comes out of his mouth hes been ruminating about in his big empty head and he can't help it spilling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Who then controls the controller and who controls the controller of the previous controller?

Where does it end? This is why ultimate control is with the president otherwise you're undermining his power and this would be a sign of weakness to other world powers.

Imagine a president that was about to sign a big trade deal with another country and he turned around and said oh sorry I need to go back and run this by xyz because I don't have ultimate control over the decision making process he'd be laughed at the second he left the negotiating table.

You're just embarrassing yourself now. You don't even know how the Presidency works and the checks and balances involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Sell your house now and buy it back in 2022 for pennies

Did teach ye nothing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Yeyachu0E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

threeball wrote: »
    Back tracking again. He never said anything about being a dictator, oh he did say it but it was a joke, just like injecting bleach and getting uv light into the body. Hes just a reincarnation of Richard Pryor.

If theres one thing thats idiotic its not knowing that everything that comes out of his mouth hes been ruminating about in his big empty head and he can't help it spilling out.

Do you even understand the meaning of the word backtracking? Might I suggest that you consult a dictionary if you don't.

You posted a soundbite that is clearly meant to be taken as a joke. Or did you not hear the people laughing in the background?

You used this soundbite to back up the ridiculously absurd notion that he is a wannabe dictator.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    You're just embarrassing yourself now. You don't even know how the Presidency works and the checks and balances involved.

The only people embarrassing themselves are those folks claiming that he wants to be a dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Danzy wrote: »

This virus is China's.

That brutal authoritarian State with its concentration camps, executions, savage brutality to it's people is finally being called out.

Ah yes because the US doesn't have detention camps, the death penalty or brutality towards some of its citizens. Oh.

Also, viruses don't have a nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The only people embarrassing themselves are those folks claiming that he wants to be a dictator.

If Trump loses the election so you think he will bow out quietly and with dignity?

If he wins, do you think at the end of his 2and term.he will bow out quietly and with dignity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Saw a poll earlier showing 1/3 of Americans would trust Trump over Fauci regarding coronavirus.
    Fauci is recognized as one of the world's leading experts on infectious diseases.[3][4] As a physician with the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Fauci has served American public health in various capacities for over 50 years, and has been an advisor to every U.S. president since Ronald Reagan.[3] He has made contributions to HIV/AIDS research and other immunodeficiencies, both as a scientist and as the head of the NIAID at the NIH.
    This is what people mean when they call his supporters a cult. That they'd actually believe dim Donnie over this guy in relation to covid-19 is pretty fcuking tragic

Is there any other Western democracy where 1/3 of the population would believe their president/prime minister over their country's leading medical expert?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Ah yes because the US doesn't have detention camps, the death penalty or brutality towards some of its citizens. Oh.

Also, viruses don't have a nationality.

I would land a good deal of the blame with China's initial handling of it and lack of transparency, but Trump really does seem determined to come out of this looking worse than them, which should be almost impossible given thed circumstances.

Have to laugh at trump supporters complaining about the death penalty, concentration camps and brutality against its own citizens though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Beholders

Although, I do think what Trump did, two nights ago was a disgrace, I do now start to see the other side of the argument. I don't think it was racial, or a fear of female journalist (or females(although he may have expressed himself to be racist and an asshole to women in the past)).

I think it is a man in the middle of one of the great US/World tragedies (and he is in way over his head)Yes he is childish, and refuses responsibility, and is basically making up his own narrative as he goes along, so that he can get re-elected. I sorry I still see him as the village idiot who somehow got voted in to the White house, (which I realise is dangerous, but I'm still waiting for the punchline)It really is car crash TV watching him, I'm so sorry my US friends, but your president is being watched by the rest of the world and it is car crash tv for them.

To all USA citizen, keep safe and well, at least you appear to have some governors and states, that actually care about yous all. Keep well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Beholders wrote: »
    Although, I do think what Trump did, two nights ago was a disgrace, I do now start to see the other side of the argument. I don't think it was racial, or a fear of female journalist (or females(although he may have expressed himself to be racist and an asshole to women in the past)).

I think it is a man in the middle of one of the great US/World tragedies (and he is in way over his head)Yes he is childish, and refuses responsibility, and is basically making up his own narrative as he goes along, so that he can get re-elected. I sorry I still see him as the village idiot who somehow got voted in to the White house, (which I realise is dangerous, but I'm still waiting for the punchline)It really is car crash TV watching him, I'm so sorry my US friends, but your president is being watched by the rest of the world and it is car crash tv for them.

To all USA citizen, keep safe and well, at least you appear to have some governors and states, that actually care about yous all. Keep well.

Its a bad indictment on the United States as a whole. Through work I have engaged with plenty of very otherwise intelligent people who are Trump supporters.

I find it downright bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Beholders

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Its a bad indictment on the United States as a whole. Through work I have engaged with plenty of very otherwise intelligent people who are Trump supporters.

I find it downright bizarre.

True, some one had to vote the idiot in, but I working on the assumption, that last time he was voted in the world thought it was a joke, and ignored it. This time around I hope USA Citizen, look at it as we do and did (there is no punch line to this. 83,000 dead) and their is plenty of them out there who can vote to make sure this doesn't happen a second time. USA Citizen are the people who need to make this happen, they just need to get off their asses.

On a side note if Mr Trump doesn't get into office, I will open a pub, called "Auntie's T's Rump" some where in Ireland. And everyone is welcome for a smooth pint of the black stuff, a big fry, and some fresh greens from the garden for lunch. Even if you did vote for her Rump. All on the house of course.

If Trump loses the election so you think he will bow out quietly and with dignity?

If he wins, do you think at the end of his 2and term.he will bow out quietly and with dignity?

I can't see him losing if he's running against Biden.

And even if he did lose I wouldn't expect him to do anything other than conceding defeat to his opponent.

How could he not bow out quietly and with dignity at the end of his second term. As it will be the end of his presidency there is no other possible scenario where it isn't?

What would you expect him to do? go out crying and screaming while being dragged out of the oval office?

The man will know his time as president is up. How would you think he would like to be remembered during the final moments of his presidency?

As a big crying baby that leaves the office in an undignified manner?

Or as a man that leaves the White House with his head held high knowing that he did his job to the best of his ability?

And even if he did lose I wouldn't expect him to do anything other than conceding defeat to his opponent.

How could he not bow out quietly and with dignity at the end of his second term. As it will be the end of his presidency there is no other possible scenario where it isn't?

What would you expect him to do? go out crying and screaming while being dragged out of the oval office?

The man will know his time as president is up. How would you think he would like to be remembered during the final moments of his presidency?

Or as a man that leaves the White House with his head held high knowing that he did his job to the best of his ability?

There's not a day that goes by where he doesn't behave in an undignified way... If he loses in November, he will claim that the result is a sham. He will make outlandish claims about corruption as this is what he has done throughout his presidency.

You must have missed out on the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I'd wager a few nasty tweets if he goes this November. We'll all be accused of murders and crimes worse than anyone thought possible ever :pac: etc.

If he loses in November I expect him to claim shenanigans and even encourage people to fight the result which may lead in deaths.

If he gets another four years I fully expect him to use that time to solidify his base and attempt to find a way to stay for longer. Wether this is through emergency legislation due to war or some other way will have to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He claimed the vote was rigged even when he won, you really think he will simply walk out if he loses?

Of of course if he loses it means that the DNC have POTUS, so FOX et al will be livid and looking for somebody to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Read some article a while back that claimed it is very hard for Trump to stay on past the 4 years in any scenario other than winning the election:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/24/politics/donald-trump-joe-biden-november-election-postpone/index.html

If he loses he has to go of course & if he delays/disrupts the holding of the election somehow (would also be very hard to do) it argued he'll be out on his ear anyway constitutionally once his 4 years are up so he's unlikely to try that route.

If/when he holds the election [& loses], the only path open to him is to claim he was "wronged"/the deep state/fake media/"liberals"/democrats/reptilians rigged the election on him + cheated his worshippers supporters and like others, would expect that is exactly what he will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Rt&#233 wrote:
    A whistleblower who says he was removed from his government post for raising concerns about coronavirus preparedness told a congressional hearing that the United States could face "the darkest winter"of recent times if it does not improve its response to the pandemic.

Hours after President Donald Trump railed against him on Twitter, whistleblower Rick Bright testified to a US House of Representatives panel about readiness for the outbreak.

Bright was removed last month as director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, or BARDA, which is responsible for developing drugs to fight the coronavirus.

The USA will be battling this virus for years to come. Redneck Trump supporters who suffer with diabetes and are obese will be the vast majority who succumb to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Catching up with Trump today

On Rick Bright

"I don't know him, he looks like an angry disgruntled employee who according to people didn't do a good job"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

so now we have people speculating that all these things are possibilities- trump refusing to leave the white house, seizing power by cancelling elections , encouraging people to violently oppose the result if he loses coupled with America battling coronavirus for years to come but somehow mostly trump supporters being killed by it lol and being some sort of barren wasteland by the end of it all. Sorry but you guys are completely losing the run of yourselves. None of that has any basis in reality and no, before anyone accuses me of it, I'm not a Trump supporter, far from it, but get a grip like.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    so now we have people speculating that all these things are possibilities- trump refusing to leave the white house, seizing power by cancelling elections , encouraging people to violently oppose the result if he loses coupled with America battling coronavirus for years to come but somehow mostly trump supporters being killed by it lol and being some sort of barren wasteland by the end of it all. Sorry but you guys are completely losing the run of yourselves. None of that has any basis in reality and no, I'm not a Trump supporter. Far from it, but get a grip like

Trump has form for claiming elections are rigged when he thinks he is going to lose

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37673797
    US Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has said the election is "absolutely rigged" by the "dishonest media" and "at many polling places".
    Donald Trump has claimed for months that the election was rigged - but that message is now at the centre of his campaign just as his poll numbers begin to slump. And in doing so he hits at the very heart of American democracy - the idea that elections are free and fair.

Mr Trump's tactics allow him once more to paint himself as the anti-establishment figure being victimised by the Washington political elite. It also gives him an excuse if he loses.

But where would it leave his supporters? The fear is that the Republican candidate's rhetoric could further divide this country and stoke anger and suspicion among the millions who follow him.

He also claimed 3 to 5 million votes were fraudulent and he wouldn't saybif he would accept the result if he lost.
    Trump had insisted that the coming vote was “rigged.” (In a presidential debate, he efused to say he’d accept the results of the election if he lost

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

so now we have people speculating that all these things are possibilities- trump refusing to leave the white house, seizing power by cancelling elections , encouraging people to violently oppose the result if he loses coupled with America battling coronavirus for years to come but somehow mostly trump supporters being killed by it lol and being some sort of barren wasteland by the end of it all. Sorry but you guys are completely losing the run of yourselves. None of that has any basis in reality and no, before anyone accuses me of it, I'm not a Trump supporter, far from it, but get a grip like.

Whilst it of course all speculation there are many grounds to be pessimistic and very few grounds to take the view that he will simply leave.

He openly called the last election rigged (before he won) and then pushed the narrative that despite him winning there were 5m illegal votes.
    He has shown a complete disregard for any norms. Tax returns, divesting from his companies, not employong his children,

He has called the entire media the enemy of the people. He has constantly founght back any sort of oversight, even recently ensuring that he had the final say over billions of Covid emergency funding.

He has kept meetings with Putin secret. We know, from the likes of Cohen and Stormy Daniels, that he is perfectly happy to flout rules to get what he wants. He has got a AG that will do whatever he needs to do to protect Trump.

And we have nothing to suggest he is going to abide by the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Did Trump earn the money he inherited?

I am stating that neither he nor his brother earned the money so i am not too sympathetic to the brother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Michigan Cancels Legislative Session to Avoid Armed Protesters

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-14/michigan-cancels-legislative-session-to-avoid-armed-protesters

Stateofyou wrote: »

Ok, I take it back. One thing happened in one place in the US. its 2000 miles from where I am but still, the entire country, from coast to coast, is doomed.

I mean, even the guardian is saying the protests were literally a washout and nothing happened. I've had cnn on in the background today and not a whisper about this. your post is the first I knew about it. "Dozens" of protesters is hardly a sign of a country in great peril but ok. Any day now, right?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/14/michigan-protest-capitol-gretchen-whitmer
    But the fears of serious violence that had preceded the event proved unfounded. Instead, a steady downpour and lightning pushed most of the protesters to their vehicles after about 90 minutes. Tempers only briefly flared when a scuffle ensued after one demonstrator grabbed a sign from another. Police quickly broke up the fight and no one was arrested or hurt, the Michigan state police said in a tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,865 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

encouraging people to violently oppose the result ....but get a grip like.

Am. A grip like?

The dotard screamed LIBERATE several places last month.

The liberation was against his own administrations advice.

And yes people showed up armed.

He has also touted several times the democrats want to "take your guns away".

The absolute gutter scum would not think twice about whipping up the crazies like he has done so many times in the past 5 years.

Boggles wrote: »
    Am. A grip like?

The dotard screamed LIBERATE several places last month.

The liberation was against his own administrations advice.

And yes people showed up armed.

He has also touted several times the democrats want to "take your guns away".

The absolute gutter scum would not think twice about whipping up the crazies like he has done so many times in the past 5 years.

Believe it or not there aren't that many "crazies" here. At least not in my experience. Just normal people going about their lives. I suppose they might be activated if trump tweets a certain word or phrase and take up arms terminator style. Who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Believe it or not there aren't that many "crazies" here. At least not in my experience. Just normal people going about their lives. I suppose they might be activated if trump tweets a certain word or phrase and take up arms terminator style. Who knows?

But the original point was about what trump may do. Not who would follow?

Advertisement