Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,083 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What do you mean by morals?

Not sure America has ever elected someone that had integrity. Leaders reflect the country. Trump reflects upon America and its arrogance and ignorance and extreme individualism.

The sense of right and wrong, the sense of principles and scruples and decency.

Google it....

Anyway, I am well aware that no man is perfect. We all have faults....

I would't be looking for perfect.....

But by god, this man takes the cake........he is out on his own.....

So, maybe forget what I said, and simply ask them to look for a huge improvement on their next leader.....?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 omarlopez

good redacted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

The comedy show is on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

About two thirds of Americans believe Covid 19 is a message from God (of whichever flavour), telling them that changes are needed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/us-coronavirus-message-god-poll-results
    The poll found that 31% of Americans who believe in God feel strongly that the virus is a sign telling humanity to change, with the same number feeling that somewhat. Evangelical Protestants are more likely than others to believe that strongly, at 43%, compared with 28% of Catholics and mainline Protestants.

In addition, black Americans were more likely than those of other racial backgrounds to say they feel the virus is a sign God wants humanity to change, regardless of education, income or gender. Forty-seven per cent say they feel that strongly, compared with 37% of Latino and 27% of white Americans.
    Overall, 82% of Americans say they believe in God, and 26% of Americans say their sense of faith or spirituality has grown stronger as a result of the outbreak. Just 1% say it has weakened.

Kathryn Lofton, a professor of religious studies at Yale University, interpreted the high number of Americans perceiving the virus as a message from God about change as an expression of “fear that if we don’t change, this misery will continue”.

“When people get asked about God, they often interpret it immediately as power,” said Lofton. “And they answer the question saying, ‘Here’s where the power is to change the thing I experience.’”

Fifty-five per cent of American believers say they feel at least somewhat that God will protect them from being infected.

Warpspeed! Honestly....

facepalm.gif

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    That is my whole point....

America needs people with integrity, morals and principles to remove themselves from his grasp.....if he respects nobody, then it's up to people to disassociate.

Of course, he will still get people to come on-board, but hey, they are the problem......and IMO, anyone on-board with Trump is no better than he.

I'd say Fauci is ultimately being principled, he's humouring Trump and getting everything he can done. The priority in this case isn't showing Trump up for behaving dangerously, it's to control the agenda as much as possible so that lives are saved.
    Blueshoe wrote: »
    I wonder do people in other countries post on forums about Irish political matters. Things such as suggestions to grow lettuce on your windowsill incase of food shortages.
    How about a former leader telling people to kill themselves. That was a good one. Imagine the cry fest if Trump said that.

Trump is a self serving crook and Joe Biden is a dithering old coot.

State of it all

The United States are one of the largest economic powers in the globe, Irish people have both friends and family in the US. The US employs many of us on top of that. US politics has always been of global interest, it's not a new thing and I'm guaranteeing you if I went to any other international forums where people discuss politics, US politics will be discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I have, I haven't seen anyone use those words so could you link me to the post where someone said "it will lead to the downfall of America" please?

Scrolled through earlier pages of the thread. Here are some
    Totally agree. America is on the brink of complete failure. 
    That country was on the edge before his presidency and the last thing they needed was the idiot stoking the fire. The pandemic may push it over tipping point.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see it splinter. The west coast states break away, the north east as well. 
    Their only hope are the millennials and Gen Z crowd rectifying it in the future, if there's a democracy or much of a nation left to salvage at all at that point.
    They're doomed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Let's be honest here, evangelicals are f*cking idiots

Hero worship a man who is the antithesis of what the supposed Jesus stood for, believe that man and dinosaurs co-existed on earth (which is only 6,000 years old btw) and donate millions of dollars to con men from the tv who live in massive mansions, own private jets and are worth tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Scrolled through earlier pages of the thread. Here are some

It’s like the tea party all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I'd say Fauci is ultimately being principled, he's humouring Trump and getting everything he can done. The priority in this case isn't showing Trump up for behaving dangerously, it's to control the agenda as much as possible so that lives are saved.

The United States are one of the largest economic powers in the globe, Irish people have both friends and family in the US. The US employs many of us on top of that. US politics has always been of global interest, it's not a new thing and I'm guaranteeing you if I went to any other international forums where people discuss politics, US politics will be discussed.

Ah sure I know yeah. I follow it myself. I prefer to go against the grain on the global Trump pile on though. I would prefer to see Biden win and have the right wing media attack him with the same intensity that Trump gets. Wonder how he would cope considering he is very dithered and dull. Terrible alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The funny thing is Trump despises the very people that support him.

None of those red necks would get passed the gates of Mar a lago even if they had the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ah sure I know yeah. I follow it myself. I prefer to go against the grain on the global Trump pile on though. I would prefer to see Biden win and have the right wing media attack him with the same intensity that Trump gets. Wonder how he would cope considering he is very dithered and dull. Terrible alternative

Trump brought the media focus on himself. He manipulated them during his campaign to give himself unprecedented levels of coverage which he benefitted massively from. Then he gets into office and on day one sets the tone by sending Sean Spicer our to lie to the media about his inauguration crowd size. The media obviously called BS on that because it was lie (like a lot of the things he says) trump goes on to continue telling lies and when the media call him out on it (that’s their job) he labels them an enemy of the people and now here we are. A complete breakdown of the relationship between media and government.

Biden is a normal human being not a serial liar and narcissist so I expect he’ll treat journalists with respect and in turn will receive respect. Trump is incapable of treating anyone with respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

MadYaker wrote: »
    Trump brought the media focus on himself. He manipulated them during his campaign to give himself unprecedented levels of coverage which he benefitted massively from. Then he gets into office and on day one sets the tone by sending Sean Spicer our to lie to the media about his inauguration crowd size. The media obviously called BS on that because it was lie (like a lot of the things he says) trump goes on to continue telling lies and when the media call him out on it (that’s their job) he labels them an enemy of the people and now here we are. A complete breakdown of the relationship between media and government.

Biden is a normal human being not a serial liar and narcissist so I expect he’ll treat journalists with respect and in turn will receive respect. Trump is incapable of treating anyone with respect.

This is exactly how it happened and Trump has lied and lied and lied ever since, he attacks the media for calling him out on his obvious lies yet his zealots still blame the media for doing their jobs!

Can anyone remember if Trump gave a hostage to fortune by citing a number of deaths as being "a good pandemic".

CDC not surprisingly talking of 100,000 dead by June today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Trump will do untold damage from november to January if he fails to win. He will agitate his supporters whilst also doing everything he can to hand over a complete basket case to the next administration. 4yrs won't undo the damage he'll do in that two month period.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

threeball wrote: »
    Trump will do untold damage from november to January if he fails to win. He will agitate his supporters whilst also doing everything he can to hand over a complete basket case to the next administration. 4yrs won't undo the damage he'll do in that two month period.

I think that’s a bit far to be honest. If he loses heavily which is likely he won’t have the public to pull any really crazy stunts.

Can anyone remember if Trump gave a hostage to fortune by citing a number of deaths as being "a good pandemic".

CDC not surprisingly talking of 100,000 dead by June today.

Theres already well over 100,000, they're just not reporting half of them. I would trust the figures coming out of the states as much as those out of Russia or China.

I think that’s a bit far to be honest. If he loses heavily which is likely he won’t have the public to pull any really crazy stunts.

It will all be in the background. Hes shown hes a spiteful petty man. I don't seem him walking away and leaving the next admin a free reign to put the train back on the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

The Lancet takes what I believe is the unprecedented step of advising the US to vote out their president.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31140-5/fulltext

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Polar101

threeball wrote: »
    He will agitate his supporters whilst also doing everything he can to hand over a complete basket case to the next administration.

Sounds just like his whole presidential term to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Barring a landslide victory for Biden, I fully expect Trump to go on the attack claiming that the election result was a fix to unseat him. He may well even do that if Biden DOES win a landslide.

He's desperate for another term because a one term presidency would be perceived as a failure and repudiation of his first term by the electorate and crucially because he faces an absolute legal avalanche once he loses the protection of office. He would much rather another 4 years of people kissing his ass and enriching Trump Inc instead of the shítstorm he faces if he loses.

As for holding the presidency beyond 8 years, I'd say there isnt a hope. He's naturally a lazy slob and I'm sure he would love to go back to his old life of doing absolutely SFA apart from managing the day to day running of his crime family. Even the daily theatre of pretending to be a functioning president for the purposes of the television camera and social media must get tiring for a man knocking on for 80. If he gets two terms, he will see that as a success which will go some way to wiping away the asterisk of impeachment against his name. From there his next move will be attempting to get his daughter elected President. That will keep the circus in business and his best chance of keeping himself out of prison.

If you have ever watched Trump being questioned by the media most of the questions are normal enough. Then some journalist looking for a gotcha moment will ask something stupid hoping for a reaction.
    Something to generate clicks and revenue. As bad as the like of rte are they are not a patch on American media.

That goes both ways with fox news too. They are divisive and deal in sensationalism.
    There are two articles on the journal app today. One is how Biden won't stop an investigation into trump if he wins. And the other "can Joe Biden win from his living Room?"

The media is telling you all how to think. No balance. Have you ever seen a positive trump news story on Irish media? Ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If you have ever watched Trump being questioned by the media most of the questions are normal enough. Then some journalist looking for a gotcha moment will ask something stupid hoping for a reaction.
    Something to generate clicks and revenue. As bad as the like of rte are they are not a patch on American media.

That goes both ways with fox news too. They are divisive and deal in sensationalism.
    There are two articles on the journal app today. One is how Biden won't stop an investigation into trump if he wins. And the other "can Joe Biden win from his living Room?"

The media is telling you all how to think. No balance. Have you ever seen a positive trump news story on Irish media? Ever?

The Journal seems to feed off Trump stories and comes across as against him. They want it both ways.

Of course, it's all a farce. They make money from click bait stories about Trump as the demand for Trump is very high, particularly among those that don't like him.

RTE and the Irish Times the same. Almost any mad utterance from Trump will garner an unnecessary article from these publications, under the guise of freedom of speech. All for hits and ad revenue.

walshb wrote: »
    The sense of right and wrong, the sense of principles and scruples and decency.

Google it....

Anyway, I am well aware that no man is perfect. We all have faults....

I would't be looking for perfect.....

But by god, this man takes the cake........he is out on his own.....

So, maybe forget what I said, and simply ask them to look for a huge improvement on their next leader.....?!

Obama bombed 9 Muslim countries. Was that wrong?

About two thirds of Americans believe Covid 19 is a message from God (of whichever flavour), telling them that changes are needed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/us-coronavirus-message-god-poll-results

This is no surprise if you know anything about America.

They are a very religious country with very very high church attendance.

This explains partly why they are not phased by the enormous death toll. This doesn't make them bad people. This is just the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What stories should they have covered that they didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This is no surprise if you know anything about America.

They are a very religious country with very very high church attendance.

This explains partly why they are not phased by the enormous death toll. This doesn't make them bad people. This is just the way they are.

Doesn't make them bad people? They are effectively saying that it serves people right for not doing as god wants them to.

Of course, the next question to them should be what needs to change, and I'd put good money on them being of the view that everyone else has to change to their way rather than them changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Has there ever been a positive news story to print? We can see the press conferences and how he behaves for ourselves, we're not dumb Americans that can be brainwashed by the media.

• Advertisement

The Journal seems to feed off Trump stories and comes across as against him. They want it both ways.

Of course, it's all a farce. They make money from click bait stories about Trump as the demand for Trump is very high, particularly among those that don't like him.

RTE and the Irish Times the same. Almost any mad utterance from Trump will garner an unnecessary article from these publications, under the guise of freedom of speech. All for hits and ad revenue.

Where are all of the stories about Trump pulling troops from the middle East and leaving the Kurds to fend for themselves gone?
    Gender neutral bathrooms ?
    Far right extremists?
    Muslim extremists?
    Refugee crisis?
    Climate crisis?

All gone. Don't exist or matter any more. Coronavirus and Trump's handling of it is 24/7 . Election coverage next.
    Clicks and revenue. Reporting the news comes second.

Advertisement