Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

thebaz wrote: »
    I dont know about anyone else but this isloation is driving me stir crazy after only a few days - I'm an outdoors type person, could hack another 2 weeks - max -
    After I would say Cocoon the at risk , and slowly return a little back to normal.
    I have lost all my work, and so many other small business are the same, the mental health scars are going to be seriously horrific if this goes on much longer.
    Some people seam better adjusted to a life of self-isolation, in fact some seam to nearly enjoy the severe restrictions, I am struggling big time, and am doing it to protect the vulnerable, and we all have elderly relations, but at some point life must return, before too much damage is done to even more -
    Where are the Government getting all this money to pay for a society basically shut down ?

They had money in the kitty theat was supposed to be used for house building etc but a lot of that will be eaten up by the time this is over and they will probably have to borrow as well.

Interest rates are low but it will still have to be paid back down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

michaelm wrote: »
    The pressing issue is what to do about the Leaving Cert - this is the only situation where this is a major and immediate consequence. The Junior Cert can wait. I've absolutely no insider information but reckon they will need to run it in some form during the summer or early autumn. It is actually a huge headache with no simple or straightforward solution. There is a lot of project work complete/almost complete, should this be included? If so schools will need to return for a number of weeks before the exams, in fact they would need to do this for all subjects anyway - can't see many teachers/students happy to go straight to exams as they would have lost the crucial final 10 weeks. A huge conundrum for al involved.

The leaving cert. will probably go ahead in June unless there is a big daily body count then, which there should not be considering the peak is to be mid April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I wouldn't think it's possible to lift restrictions until everything is completely under control. The alternative is thousands more infections with further unnecessary deaths. That's the point people won't just die of ARDS brought on by Covid 19 - they will die waiting for crucial appointments, of heart attacks/strokes etc by not getting the care they need in time.

I see further restrictions (possibly city curfews - a.very limited line for shops etc) before they are loosened and I don't see a loosening on restrictions until mid/late summer at earliest - I hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd go with the end of July for the beginning of relaxing measures across Europe and in Ireland and the middle of 2021 to see a return to normality.

No government is going to relax the measures so long as the threat of a renewed explosion in cases is there.

Because we will just be shut down again within a week.

A lot of unrealistic expectations around.

I'd go with the end of July for the beginning of relaxing measures across Europe and in Ireland and the middle of 2021 to see a return to normality.

No government is going to relax the measures so long as the threat of a renewed explosion in cases is there.

How can you see normality in 2021 if there is another wave next winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There will not be more restrictions, those in place are working. The tests now reported were taken last week and it takes time to work through the system.
    Places like DIY shops were not a priority to close anyway and will be reopened.

Complacency is the enemy. A second wave needs to be avoided.
    As for DIY stores, every Tom, Dick and Harry was out getting DIY stuff. They may start click and collect or delivery but if they reopen, it will be for limited product lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Stark wrote: »
    The Guardian's wording is "brewing social unrest".
    Quite a difference with "public disorders".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Im not sure how they can be relaxed at all until 2021. Unless their was a home test kit and you tested yourself each day and the government had access to an app with your health status indicated. Its very difficult to foresee where society goes until their is a vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Am I the only one that thinks this will peak earlier than most expect? The numbers re confirmed positive tests here are now meaningless as they don’t have the capacity to test people. Hospital admissions, ICU rates and GP’s phone consults should be used to discern an approximate rate of infection in the population. I think it’s everywhere and if you want to catch it just keep going out & about and you’ll find it somewhere. I personally think the economic and social impact of what we’re currently doing would be far more dangerous than the virus itself if this was to continue long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

They'll just keep extending it when we get to the end of each end date. If they said last week that we'll be stuck in our houses for 3 months people would go nuts.

This whole lockdown is carefully staggered to ease us in to it. Each stage more severe than the last. Imagine if they said 3 weeks ago that from midnight tonight everything is shutting down like it is now. There would be riots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the overall restrictions are to continue into summer there will have to be regular sectional loosening up to allow people to actually buy stuff that goes beyond food and toothpaste. Otherwise our quality of life is going to start suffering and people will simply break the "cerfew" and then the state will effectively lose control of situation.

So open the DIY places for a weekend with all the expected controls on behaviour while in them, then open the department stores likewise and so on. Policed properly it could be done and everyone will be aquiessient for that much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Am I the only one that thinks this will peak earlier than most expect? The numbers re confirmed positive tests here are now meaningless as they don’t have the capacity to test people. Hospital admissions, ICU rates and GP’s phone consults should be used to discern an approximate rate of infection in the population. I think it’s everywhere and if you want to catch it just keep going out & about and you’ll find it somewhere. I personally think the economic and social impact of what we’re currently doing would be far more dangerous than the virus itself if this was to continue long term.

That's the balance that's needs to be struck between the overall national interest and the interest of a minority that get in to real difficult with the illness.

It's a really difficult one for the politicians.

I wouldn't want to be making a call like that.

I guess sooner or later someone is going have to make it for good or ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If we stayed closed for longer than Easter Sunday there won’t be many small businesses left to open back up.
    Other countries are giving direct payments to affected business , ours is giving money to finance companies so that they can decide who to lend it to and charge interest rates up to 14%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Not even China has this fully under control. Things easing in 2 weeks is an utter fantasy (unless a miraculous mass produced cure appears).

Icepick wrote: »
    Not even China has this is fully under control. Things easing in 2 weeks is an utter fantasy (unless a miraculous mass produced cure appears).

Surely solution is ease in 3 weeks and quarantine anyone entering the country for 2 weeks after that date and ease quatantine restrictions as time deos on for countries covid free

Might kill tourism sector here,but has potential to increase staycation as 2 week forgien holidays,become 4 weeks off work due to quarantine

I spent some frustrating time on to phone companies, insurance, banks etc. trying to reduce weekly payments and outgoings etc.

While publicly they are all claiming to play their part, the reality is they are willing to do very little.

I am not the worst off financially but there are a lot of people who will see high interest credit card and overdraft debt build up very quickly.

This can't be sustained more than a matter of weeks or a month, and people will suffer far more than is being achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think they'd struggle to keep co-operation for aother 4 months, more than struggle.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

easypazz wrote: »
    How can you see normality in 2021 if there is another wave next winter?

Probably not going to be "normality" if it's brought under control but erupts again. Hopefully lots of lessons learned and a more structured plan in place to tackle it, with possibly more targeted restrictions

Short term (and I mean the next couple of months) I don't see much in the way of relaxation of restrictions. Maybe one or two small things to help things tick over and give people sight of some light at the end of the tunnel. Looking at how it's taken over elsewhere I think we'll face some restrictions for quite a long time

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Surely solution is ease in 3 weeks and quarantine anyone entering the country for 2 weeks after that date
    And how do you deal with the likes of truck drivers and others coming over by ferry, possibly via NI?

Beasty wrote: »
    And how do you deal with the likes of truck drivers and others coming over by ferry, possibly via NI?

Quanantine them/do trailer drop offs (possibly examine prospect for damp-dusting)

Gonna need an all ireland basis for this though....seems most realistic tbh,

The uk are facing into an absolute sh1tshow and those who own holiday homes here from.there should be quarantined in particular....i see my own town do have hape of em about in summer...its a massive risk

Ive siblings,nieces nephews etc over in uk and realiatically,il not be able to visit em.this year and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

The economic and social effects will be felt long after restrictions are removed and the virus is a distant memory.
    Hopefully the movement restriction will be lifted as planned in April and hotels and restaurants open very early May and try and get some of those 300k back to work

Beasty wrote: »

Test at point of entry. If positive trace and isolate contacts.

The turn around for tests and results will be getting quicker as time passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

tdf7187 wrote:
    The restrictions are already causing disproportionate hardship and should be relaxed if not entirely removed. Sweden has none and is doing fine. But hey it's great for the coppers and their overtime so celebrate.

Yeah good try troll mctroll

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Why are fines not given in this instance.

Pair of twats.
    I don't think the new regulations are actually in force yet. So, the gardai don't have the power to arrest or charge people. There was talk that the minister might sign them into force today. Not before time.

ITman88 wrote: »
    The economic and social effects will be felt long after restrictions are removed and the virus is a distant memory.
    Hopefully the movement restriction will be lifted as planned in April and hotels and restaurants open very early May and try and get some of those 300k back to work

Hotels, restaurants, coffee shops etc.
    can open on a phased basis, 50% capacity, social distancing, no bar open and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I think they should last as long as is necessary to be certain the virus has gone for now.

Truth be told, I'm getting the hang of the whole thing. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

They aren't "restless" in Italy, they are hungry and scared. If the dole and pandemic payments keep coming we'll be fine. If we get masks and hand sanitizer for us and proper PPE for healthcare and frontline staff and more venitlators and everyone takes social distancing really seriously and we keep entertainment stuff and schools and crowd forming stuff closed (like in S. Korea) then we can reopen things. We'll be grand till all that is in place.

Quanantine them/do trailer drop offs (possibly examine prospect for damp-dusting)

Gonna need an all ireland basis for this though....seems most realistic tbh,

The uk are facing into an absolute sh1tshow and those who own holiday homes here from.there should be quarantined in particular....i see my own town do have hape of em about in summer...its a massive risk

Ive siblings,nieces nephews etc over in uk and realiatically,il not be able to visit em.this year and vice versa.

Forget about all ireland basis, if we get ahead of this close the border and anybody coming into EIRE 2 weeks quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

A friend of mine is fairly senior in dept of the Taoiseach. He thinks optimistically 4 weeks of the current restrictions and more realistically 6-8 weeks, followed by the phased reopening of certain sectors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

KiKi III wrote: »
    A friend of mine is fairly senior in dept of the Taoiseach. He thinks optimistically 4 weeks of the current restrictions and more realistically 6-8 weeks, followed by the phased reopening of certain sectors.

I seriously hope not. 2 weeks has felt like an age an we aren't even one week in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement