Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Storm Desmond - Heavy Rainfall 4/5 December 2015

• 04-12-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Incessant falls of heavy rain overnight and for all of Saturday. Accumulations in excess of 70mm expected, with greater totals on higher ground.

Issued:Friday 04 December 2015 09:00
    Valid:Friday 04 December 2015 18:00 to Sunday 06 December 2015 03:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭aisling86

I am half way between cork & kerry - will be interesting to see if we fall into the red or orange category.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I think it would make more sense to have one thread for wind+rain since its the same event.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

aisling86 wrote: »
    I am half way between cork & kerry - will be interesting to see if we fall into the red or orange category.

i'm in a similar position to you location wise. I think rainfall wise we will be amber but given that Red level rainfall will occur to the west of us, rivers like the Sullane that passes through Macroom but its source is west of us will lead to strong risk of flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think it would make more sense to have one thread for wind+rain since its the same event.

It would if it was the same warning status and in this case, it is not :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I rarely hear Met Eireann using the word "Incessant" and we have all seen incessant rain before. Should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I rarely hear Met Eireann using the word "Incessant" and we have all seen incessant rain before. Should be interesting.

Sounds ominous alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

when was the last time we saw a status red??

Burts Bee wrote: »

Storm Rachel, January 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

am I right in saying the heaviest most intense rainfall has shifted slightly north to the Northwest since last nights runs?
    I'm really hoping the rainfall totals for my area are overcooked.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Burts Bee wrote: »

I think its the first time for a rain event though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

wow, that's pretty scary. Really rained her in Cork suburbs yesterday but this is on a whole other level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Should be able to give a pretty accurate rainfall for Galway City, my rain sensor was blocked with leaves so I took it down yesterday and cleaned it out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Guarantee you Siobhan Ryan wrote that...one her favorite words! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Can we keep everything rain related to this thread. This thread is solely in relation to a red warning for expected very heavy rainfall, in the main, to western counties.

All wind related posts should be posted here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057530911

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sounds like something Siobhan Ryan would say. I wonder if she issued the warning.

edit as I should have read down the thread to see it was already posted by DOCARCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Not much rain so far here.

But I'm gonna pull the wetsuit off the shed, just in case. :D

Siobhan Ryan confirmed that this is the first red warning for rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

So I'm guessing this rain will be disruptive to the Killarney historic rally this weekend?
    We're heading down to help run the event and have to admit this warning is making us reconsider( 3 hour drive ) etc

barney 20v wrote: »
    So I'm guessing this rain will be disruptive to the Killarney historic rally this weekend?

With a red warning in place for Kerry, I'd be surprised if it went ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rain has arrived in belmullet. 100mm to go

Highest gust 53knots so far

Thats calm by modern standards

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Rain has arrived in belmullet. 100mm to go

Highest gust 53knots so far

Thats calm by modern standards

Is it pouring as in drenching?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Watching this band of rain on the radar, it's so slow moving. It looks like it made landfall on the Mayo coast at around half ten this morning and three hours later we haven't had a drop of rain here, just outside Castlebar. Which means that once it does eventually start, we're going to be stuck under it for most of the weekend as it won't be going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Why there can't be just one thread for the next 48 hours is beyond me. Rain here, wind there, yellow here, red there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Imagine if it didnt come at all

Met Eireann would have to close down.

Ive got my rain gauge at the ready

My predictions

Finner 68mm
    Belmullet 65mm
    Newport 58mm
    Sligo 46mm
    Mace Head 44mm
    Claremorris 42mm

Highest wind gust 68knots Belmullet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

FWVT wrote: »
    Why there can't be just one thread for the next 48 hours is beyond me. Rain here, wind there, yellow here, red there...

Its a large regional variation in prospect and the adverse effects will be flooding some place and wind damage elsewhere.

Siobhan Ryan herself did mention 100mm+ potential at 9pm last night. Id be very concerned how people who dont normally experience flooding from their local rivers and streams will be unprepared for exceptional conditions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Clouded over here now in Tralee, just a few drops so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Ground is already beyond saturation point. It's like all and any rain will be run off. That's a whole lot of water. If Irish water were to sell it they could pay off at least 50% of their wage bill :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭aisling86

Would a flight into shannon at 8.55pm have any chance of landing tonight? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

aisling86 wrote: »
    Would a flight into shannon at 8.55pm have any chance of landing tonight? :confused:

Yep, Shannon is rarely affected by crosswinds/winds preventing landing. Have a look at the flight radar thread and see my recent posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its a large regional variation in prospect and the adverse effects will be flooding some place and wind damage elsewhere.

Siobhan Ryan herself did mention 100mm+ potential at 9pm last night. Id be very concerned how people who dont normally experience flooding from their local rivers and streams will be unprepared for exceptional conditions.

But she didn't give any indication as to where to expect this 100mm. Is that quantity for the West coast only? Is it all going to fall like that countrywide? Going by the Met.ie website this amount will only really fall along the Atlantic coast. But that isn't what she said, rather it was like armageddon 36hr rain for the whole country with no specifics.

I'll admit i'm quite nervous here in Meath, Like another poster on here we've a waterlogged soak-away since this past deluge. I don't know where my watertable is right now but don't think it's that far below my feet :(

Advertisement