Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - Heavy Rainfall 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Yep, Shannon is rarely affected by crosswinds/winds preventing landing. Have a look at the flight radar thread and see my recent posts.

Did storm Barney not even affect Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭squonk

No rain here yet in Limerick but it got quite gusty all of a sudden a few minutes ago. I hurried off to check the rainfall radar and the rain is still out to sea a bit. Things have died down again now. I thought the storm and rain were going to arrive very suddenly based on how it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The rain has finally hit here in the last few minutes. Took it four hours to make it from the Mayo coast to Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Rain has reached Mayo and Donegal. Only 36 hours worth of it or so to go

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Heaviest rain still out to the SW

From sat24 :-

370646.PNG

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 ilikesleeves

Would anyone have advice for a plan for driving from Cork City to Dingle at 6:30pm this evening?

We've a holiday home booked for the weekend, but I'm wondering if its madness to be heading directly towards the worst of the weather tonight. It could be as bad in the morning after a full night of it!

Are train services to galway running as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Would anyone have advice for a plan for driving from Cork City to Dingle at 6:30pm this evening?

We've a holiday home booked for the weekend, but I'm wondering if its madness to be heading directly towards the worst of the weather tonight. It could be as bad in the morning after a full night of it!

The road from Castlemaine to Dingle can get flooded from intense rain running off of Sliabh Mish in a few spots, still dry here so cant see it being too bad for the next few hours so you might be fine tonight. As for conditions tomorrow then thats another story, wind wise is getting a bit wild now.

P.s. If you have other voices tickets then i wouldnt chance the roads, i will look after the tickets for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

From a flooding point the morning will be worse. If you're heading down for outdoor activities I'd chill were you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

0.8mm in Sligo so far. The count begins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

The rain has finally hit here in the last few minutes. Took it four hours to make it from the Mayo coast to Castlebar.

50 minutes later it's just starting in Claremorris...

Some torrential rain already getting in to the NW. The red area is 8-16mm per hour and some tiny specs of purple which is 16-32mm per hour

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

latest?cb=20070125154655

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

never seen so many alerts on ME, shame i dont need any to know i'm absolutely F*cked. Sunday seems so far away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

What time approximately will the rain reach Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

northgirl wrote: »
    What time approximately will the rain reach Cork?

4 43pm! already spitting a bit here. hopefully all this rain in kerry won't come downstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

4 43pm! already spitting a bit here. hopefully all this rain in kerry won't come downstream.

just as I leave work :o

never seen so many alerts on ME, shame i dont need any to know i'm absolutely F*cked. Sunday seems so far away

Meath shouldn't be too bad based on forecasted warnings?

Meath shouldn't be too bad based on forecasted warnings?

Doesnt matter, it wont take much for flooding, field is saturated one side, pond is full on the other side and im in the middle

Doesnt matter, it wont take much for flooding, field is saturated one side, pond is full on the other side and im in the middle

not making light of your circumstances but sounds like a castle with a moat to defend from attackers! very apt being from meath and all. anyway hopefully for you it will stay out west.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Rain in west Galway. The sideways kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very heavy rain in Castlebar for the last hour, it feels like ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Pretty windy but no rain yet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very Windy here in west Clare, no rain yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The heavy rain is still hours away, out in the Atlantic. Very moist air on the way.

qwHak02.png

It's already Lashing as it is in Donegal. Widely 4-8mm per hour. Parts 8-16mm and isolated 16-32mm as per met office radar

not making light of your circumstances but sounds like a castle with a moat to defend from attackers! very apt being from meath and all. anyway hopefully for you it will stay out west.

Haha I can only wish i had a castle, i could sit on the top looking down at the flood, unfortunately its just a bungalow, thanks anyway, looks set to rain already here

Little relief in the days ahead for areas that will be saturated over the weekend. 12Z GFS shows periods of rain on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday evening and Thursday, some of it potentially quite heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1700 met eireann update

Extremely windy and blustery overnight, with widespread rain. Much of this heavy and especially so along the Atlantic Seaboard. Excess water on many roads will lead to treacherous driving conditions and some flooding can be expected also. Southwest winds will be strong to gale force and very gusty, with the most severe winds in western and northwestern coastal counties. Lowest temperatures 9 to 11 C.

Tomorrow

Exceptionally wet and windy for tomorrow Saturday. Further flooding is likely, with western and northwestern especially at risk. The rain will become lighter for a time in the afternoon, in some eastern and southern areas. But the strong to gale force and gusty southwest winds will persist. Top temperatures 11 to 13 C.

Outlook

Saturday night will remain wet in all parts of the country, with further widespread heavy falls of rain resulting in ongoing flooding in many areas. Southwesterly winds will be strong and gusty at first but winds will moderate overnight while veering northwesterly. Early on Sunday morning, rain will finally clear all areas leaving just isolated showers in the north and northwest. Sunny spells will develop and northwest to west winds will continue to moderate, while later backing south to southeast; however, it will feel rather cool.

Early on Sunday night, a band of rain will spread northwards across the country, and winds veering southerly will become very strong and gusty once again. This new wet spell will maintain the threat of flooding in many areas. It will stay wet and windy for the first half of Monday but rain will clear to showers on Monday afternoon, and southerly winds will moderate to some extent. It will feel a little milder also.

The remainder of next week will see further showers or longer outbreaks of rain, although the south and east will become drier later. Winds will be west to southwest in direction and will be strong much of the time. The mid-week period will be rather cool but milder conditions are likely to develop later.

• Advertisement

nmm_uk1-25-36-4.png?04-18

Advertisement