Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

28-01-2012, 21:20   #1
Redsunset

Possible Cold Reload

Very hard to read the current thread so,
Put all general chit-chat about will it or won't it in here, Leave the other for Model Discussion Only Please.

So i'll get ball rolling,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Siberian threat.jpg (166.3 KB, 7480 views)

Last edited by Redsunset; 28-01-2012 at 21:43.
Advertisement
28-01-2012, 21:26   #2
thomasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunset View Post
Put all general chit-chat about will it or won't it in here, Leave the other for Model Discussion Only Please.
Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

Does anyone know of any snow songs that dont relate to christmas?
28-01-2012, 21:27   #3
Rebelbrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunset View Post
Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

Winter wonderland and let it snow make no reference to Christmas
Thanks from:
28-01-2012, 21:27   #4
rc28

Quote:
Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

JJ72 - Snow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_XZ1SLiQOo
28-01-2012, 21:28   #5

loving the title of this thread mmmmmmm
Advertisement
28-01-2012, 21:28   #6
Irish Steve

ME are coming on board with the forecast this evening, with advance mention, (warning is too strong a word for now) of some wintry precipitation Mon/Tue, then becoming colder in the later part of the week.

That's for sure a definite hint of things to come, and remembering the snow in the UK in 82, they had huge problems forecasting what was going to happen, and the end result was a front that got to about Salisbury, and then got pushed back again, dumping significant snow in both directions. Somerset got anything between 6" and 35Ft, (yes 35FT) depending on the wind direction and the drifting that occurred as a result. We could only get in and out of one of our 2 doors, the other one was completely covered by snow, and for a number of days, I knew where my car was, but only because of the depth of snow on the roof that meant I could still see where it was. For sure there was no way it was going to get stolen.

The forecasters were having even more trouble with it than they are now, as it was very volatile movement wise. having snowed, and gone cold, it stuck for about a week, and for the first 5 days, nothing was moving much, there was too much depth to it for even Land Rovers to get around. Anything that could move was used to clear snow, even tracked bulldozers were in use, and that's how we knew about the 35 Ft in one place, a friend followed the phone lines home one night, and a while later, realised that the damage to the tops of the hedge, 35 Ft above the road that was in a cutting, was from him following the phone cables, which had taken a short cut at that point.

What is likely to be more of a problem for a lot of people is if the severe cold that's moving this way takes hold for any length of time, there are a lot of water pipes and even water tanks that are either exposed out doors, or too close to the surface, and if it's more than so cold for any length of time, there will be problems with frozen supply lines and tanks.

From a practical point of view, does anyone have any sort of chart that gives a "tank freeze potential" guide or similar so that people can be at least warned or prepared in terms of when it will be appropriate to start thinking about taking precautions to prevent freezing.

If last winter is anything to go by, there could be problems with water supplies, not because of freezing per se, but because of the number of taps left running, "to prevent them freezing" and wasting massive quantities of water as a result. OK flowing water is less likely to freeze, and standing water will freeze, but is leaving a tap on really going to help? Equally, depending on how cold it gets, roof tanks may be at risk of freezing if the insulation in the attic is too good, so again, any guidelines on what temperature the risk requires a response, like opening the roof hatch for a while, or doing something that will raise the temperature around the tanks.

Not being paranoid, far from it, but having seen problems caused in recent times, if there's some clear guidance here, (which has to be better than the vague notes from local authorities), it might mean the difference between a frozen supply or not.
28-01-2012, 21:28   #7
H2UMrsRobinson

Quote:
Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

"Baby it's cold outside" is the closest i can get.
Thanks from:
28-01-2012, 21:33   #8
darkman2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Steve View Post

Not being paranoid, far from it, but having seen problems caused in recent times, if there's some clear guidance here, (which has to be better than the vague notes from local authorities), it might mean the difference between a frozen supply or not.
I'd hope after spending the last week or more getting to grips with the setup that people would use sense at this stage and just be aware. That's all. No need to panic buy or anything crazy like that. But just keep in the back of the mind that conditions could be radically about to change. Be aware of it particularly for elderly people and animals and that.
(3) thanks from:
28-01-2012, 21:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpetes11 View Post
It was put into the Weather and Nature thread as thats what your post related to

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...5#post76781135
OK thankyou. I prefer more general chat forums rather than the more technical stuff although it is very informative
Advertisement
28-01-2012, 21:35   #10
aboyro

the only gay eskimo by wierd al. some reference to snow in there i think

(3) thanks from:
28-01-2012, 21:37   #11
only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc28 View Post
Quote:
Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

JJ72 - Snow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_XZ1SLiQOo

Black sabbath snow blind
Thanks from:
28-01-2012, 21:37   #12
cotton

Snow (Hey Ho) by the Chiili Peppers...........not that it's about Snow as we know it.
28-01-2012, 21:41   #13
thomasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2UMrsRobinson View Post
Quote:
Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

"Baby it's cold outside" is the closest i can get.
A favourite of mine!

One i was thinking of that reminds me of christmas and they were playing it on the radio over christmas but never once mentioned christmas or anything associated with it was sleighride

Quote:
Just hear those sleigh bells jingling,Ring ting tingling too come on, it's lovely weatherFor a sleigh ride together with you Outside the snow is falling And friends are calling "yoo hoo",Come on, it's lovely weather For a sleigh ride together with you. Giddy yap, giddy yap, giddy yap,Let's go, Let's look at the show,We're riding in a wonderland of snow.Giddy yap, giddy yap, gidd yap,It's grand, Just holding your hand,We're gliding along with a songOf a wintry fairy land Our cheeks are nice and rosyAnd comfy cozy are weWe're snuggled up togetherLike two birds of a feather would beLet's take that road before usAnd sing a chorus or twoCome on, it's lovely weatherFor a sleigh ride together with you. There's a birthday partyAt the home of Farmer GrayIt'll be the perfect ending a perfect dayWe'll be singing the songsWe love to sing without a single stop At the fireplace while we watchThe chestnuts pop. pop! pop! pop! There's a happy feelingNothing in the world can buyWhen they pass around the coffe and the pumpkin pieIt'll nearly be like a picture print by Currier and IivesThese wonderful things are the things We remember all through our lives! Just hear those sleigh bells jingling,Ring ting tingling tooCome on, it's lovely weatherFor a sleigh ride together with youOutside the snow is fallingAnd friends are calling "yoo hoo",Come on, it's lovely weather For a sleigh ride together with you. It's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you.
28-01-2012, 21:41   #14

Let It Snow

(Christmas free clip)
Thanks from:
28-01-2012, 21:47   #15
delw

holy jasus first page & its turned into a music tread
Thread Closed