Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Possible Cold Reload

• 28-01-2012 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭

Very hard to read the current thread so,
    Put all general chit-chat about will it or won't it in here, Leave the other for Model Discussion Only Please.

So i'll get ball rolling,

190282.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

redsunset wrote: »
    Put all general chit-chat about will it or won't it in here, Leave the other for Model Discussion Only Please.

Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

Does anyone know of any snow songs that dont relate to christmas? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

thomasj wrote: »
    redsunset wrote: »

Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

Winter wonderland and let it snow make no reference to Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

JJ72 - Snow :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_XZ1SLiQOo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

loving the title of this thread mmmmmmm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

ME are coming on board with the forecast this evening, with advance mention, (warning is too strong a word for now) of some wintry precipitation Mon/Tue, then becoming colder in the later part of the week.

That's for sure a definite hint of things to come, and remembering the snow in the UK in 82, they had huge problems forecasting what was going to happen, and the end result was a front that got to about Salisbury, and then got pushed back again, dumping significant snow in both directions. Somerset got anything between 6" and 35Ft, (yes 35FT) depending on the wind direction and the drifting that occurred as a result. We could only get in and out of one of our 2 doors, the other one was completely covered by snow, and for a number of days, I knew where my car was, but only because of the depth of snow on the roof that meant I could still see where it was. For sure there was no way it was going to get stolen.

The forecasters were having even more trouble with it than they are now, as it was very volatile movement wise. having snowed, and gone cold, it stuck for about a week, and for the first 5 days, nothing was moving much, there was too much depth to it for even Land Rovers to get around. Anything that could move was used to clear snow, even tracked bulldozers were in use, and that's how we knew about the 35 Ft in one place, a friend followed the phone lines home one night, and a while later, realised that the damage to the tops of the hedge, 35 Ft above the road that was in a cutting, was from him following the phone cables, which had taken a short cut at that point.

What is likely to be more of a problem for a lot of people is if the severe cold that's moving this way takes hold for any length of time, there are a lot of water pipes and even water tanks that are either exposed out doors, or too close to the surface, and if it's more than so cold for any length of time, there will be problems with frozen supply lines and tanks.

From a practical point of view, does anyone have any sort of chart that gives a "tank freeze potential" guide or similar so that people can be at least warned or prepared in terms of when it will be appropriate to start thinking about taking precautions to prevent freezing.

If last winter is anything to go by, there could be problems with water supplies, not because of freezing per se, but because of the number of taps left running, "to prevent them freezing" and wasting massive quantities of water as a result. OK flowing water is less likely to freeze, and standing water will freeze, but is leaving a tap on really going to help? Equally, depending on how cold it gets, roof tanks may be at risk of freezing if the insulation in the attic is too good, so again, any guidelines on what temperature the risk requires a response, like opening the roof hatch for a while, or doing something that will raise the temperature around the tanks.

Not being paranoid, far from it, but having seen problems caused in recent times, if there's some clear guidance here, (which has to be better than the vague notes from local authorities), it might mean the difference between a frozen supply or not.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

"Baby it's cold outside" is the closest i can get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Not being paranoid, far from it, but having seen problems caused in recent times, if there's some clear guidance here, (which has to be better than the vague notes from local authorities), it might mean the difference between a frozen supply or not.

I'd hope after spending the last week or more getting to grips with the setup that people would use sense at this stage and just be aware. That's all. No need to panic buy or anything crazy like that. But just keep in the back of the mind that conditions could be radically about to change. Be aware of it particularly for elderly people and animals and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Icanseethewind

It was put into the Weather and Nature thread as thats what your post related to

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76781135#post76781135

OK thankyou. I prefer more general chat forums rather than the more technical stuff although it is very informative

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

the only gay eskimo by wierd al. some reference to snow in there i think:D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

rc28 wrote: »
    Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

JJ72 - Snow :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_XZ1SLiQOo

Black sabbath snow blind ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Snow (Hey Ho) by the Chiili Peppers...........not that it's about Snow as we know it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

"Baby it's cold outside" is the closest i can get.

A favourite of mine! :D

One i was thinking of that reminds me of christmas and they were playing it on the radio over christmas but never once mentioned christmas or anything associated with it was sleighride
    Just hear those sleigh bells jingling,Ring ting tingling too come on, it's lovely weatherFor a sleigh ride together with you Outside the snow is falling And friends are calling "yoo hoo",Come on, it's lovely weather For a sleigh ride together with you. Giddy yap, giddy yap, giddy yap,Let's go, Let's look at the show,We're riding in a wonderland of snow.Giddy yap, giddy yap, gidd yap,It's grand, Just holding your hand,We're gliding along with a songOf a wintry fairy land Our cheeks are nice and rosyAnd comfy cozy are weWe're snuggled up togetherLike two birds of a feather would beLet's take that road before usAnd sing a chorus or twoCome on, it's lovely weatherFor a sleigh ride together with you. There's a birthday partyAt the home of Farmer GrayIt'll be the perfect ending a perfect dayWe'll be singing the songsWe love to sing without a single stop At the fireplace while we watchThe chestnuts pop. pop! pop! pop! There's a happy feelingNothing in the world can buyWhen they pass around the coffe and the pumpkin pieIt'll nearly be like a picture print by Currier and IivesThese wonderful things are the things We remember all through our lives! Just hear those sleigh bells jingling,Ring ting tingling tooCome on, it's lovely weatherFor a sleigh ride together with youOutside the snow is fallingAnd friends are calling "yoo hoo",Come on, it's lovely weather For a sleigh ride together with you. It's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Let It Snow

(Christmas free clip)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

holy jasus first page & its turned into a music tread :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

darkman2 wrote: »
    I'd hope after spending the last week or more getting to grips with the setup that people would use sense at this stage and just be aware. That's all. No need to panic buy or anything crazy like that. But just keep in the back of the mind that conditions could be radically about to change. Be aware of it particularly for elderly people and animals and that.

Indeed. Well aware of those aspects, a large fish pond and 2 cats covers the animal side, I have had problems one year with the filtration pipes freezing, and lever action ball valves can blow the body of the valve when they freeze if they are in the off position, which can be a problem for replacement, depending on the structure of the pipes.

Getting in and out is not an issue usually in a 4 x 4 :D, but the water tank issue caused huge problems in some areas last year, my son lost his supply for the best part of a week due to supply pipe freezing, and a filter housing in the garage also cracked when it froze, and I suspect that a lot of people will get caught if it gets as cold as the charts are suggesting, the European temperatures are lower than anything that's been seen here in a long time.

Most people around here are pretty good with checking on neighbours, and getting things for them if they can't get out, there are times when some of the minor roads can be tricky if they've not been gritted, it was "entertaining" last winter watching some of the BMW drivers trying to get out of some of the local estates, they didn't handle the conditions very well :D

82 wasn't a massive problem, but there were no deliveries of fresh milk or bread for a number of days, there was no way for the distribution systems to operate. I've been here just over 20 years, and we've not had a long cold spell in that time, I have to admit I'm not convinced that the emergency response systems would cope well with a combination of significant snowfall and a long cold spell, if for no other reason than that dealing with powdery snow is not something that the usual equipment here is set up for, and if there's a significant wind still blowing, it gets cleared and then blows straight back again where it came from, wet snow is much easier in that respect, it just forms big immovable lumps that once cleared stay that way.

There was a period of 2 or 3 days in the late 80's here where we had snow like that, it just moved when driven in, rather than packing to solid ice, and in central Dublin, where I was working at the time, it caused chaos, as too many people just didn't know how to drive in it, there were huge numbers of minor accidents in the city.

The water scenario is the one that could be an issue, if the cold spell is a long one, it got serious last year, and the cold spell was as such relatively short in comparison, too many taps running will cause all sorts of issues.

It's going to be an interesting few days, that's for certain.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

The 9 cats & 4 dogs here probably won't even notice from the sofas. But thanks for the reminder DM2, I've now gotten extra blankets & food at the ready for the feral cat colonies I manage.
    Elderly neighbours are sorted too, both myself & neighbour have jeeps so they just give us their lists for the shops & we've enough firewood here to heat a small village.
    Basically we're all prepared thanks to the theads here last winter.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Being prepared for things like this is important, Ive been expecting bad weather but it has never come. I've had 7 small "snow events" this winter so far although none that have lasted on the ground for more than two days.

I live on a high mountain road which is pretty steep to navigate in the ice and snow so I keep about a month or so of supplies, large chest freezer helps, I freeze bread, milk, rashers and sausages and all the normal frozen foods. A good supply of tinned stuff beans, soup and tuna ect, dry goods such as flour, pasta and porridge oats. Feed for the hens too! and the cat you don't want to have to give her your tins of tuna.

I don't have a piped water supply up here so I have a rain water tank and this froze solid last time so need to keep containers of fresh water indoors, Also have an alternative to electric for cooking on in case of outages such as a camping gas stove and spare gas.

Reading back on that and it sounds like I'm a mad american prepper , I'm not :pac: ,But I dont want to go without the finer things in life if I am snowed in, any way might never happen and this may only affect the east if at all,
    be prepared:D and dont forget the chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

I just want a chance to justify buying snow boots which are in the box under the bed in the spare room since early October... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

mothel wrote: »
    I just want a chance to justify buying snow boots which are in the box under the bed in the spare room since early October... :(

they must be melted by now

• Advertisement

Being prepared for things like this is important, Ive been expecting bad weather but it has never come. I've had 7 small "snow events" this winter so far although none that have lasted on the ground for more than two days.

I live on a high mountain road which is pretty steep to navigate in the ice and snow so I keep about a month or so of supplies, large chest freezer helps, I freeze bread, milk, rashers and sausages and all the normal frozen foods. A good supply of tinned stuff beans, soup and tuna ect, dry goods such as flour, pasta and porridge oats. Feed for the hens too! and the cat you don't want to have to give her your tins of tuna.

I don't have a piped water supply up here so I have a rain water tank and this froze solid last time so need to keep containers of fresh water indoors, Also have an alternative to electric for cooking on in case of outages such as a camping gas stove and spare gas.

Reading back on that and it sounds like I'm a mad american prepper , I'm not :pac: ,But I dont want to go without the finer things in life if I am snowed in, any way might never happen and this may only affect the east if at all,
    be prepared:D and dont forget the chocolate.

Sounds like paradise! I'm so jealous! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flying Fish

mothel wrote: »

Believe :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Looks like a major upgrade of severe cold potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Was just wondering on the GFS [Temp 2m] does this mean temp 2 metres from ground level ( sorry if question sounds stupid):confused:

I have those exact ones. Used them last year and they're brilliant! Take them off before going indoors though, they're deadly on tiled or wooden floors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Was just wondering on the GFS [Temp 2m] does this mean temp 2 metres from ground level ( sorry if question sounds stupid):confused:

Yes.

Believe :-)

I BELIEVE!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

cyclops999 wrote: »

2 Meter Air Temps , basically ground level

Major upgrade again from 18z , will do up a comparison video soon on the two runs

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

2 Meter Air Temps , basically ground level

Major upgrade again from 18z , will do up a comparison video soon on the two runs

be gone with yer auld model talk yer messin up the chat thread :pac: (joking;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

This will be bigger than 1982 & 1963 combined. I am buying tinned food.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement