Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead (AMC) [**Spoilers**]

Options
  • 01-05-2010 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,508 ✭✭✭✭

Frank Darabont will write, direct and serve as an executive producer. Charles H. Eglee (The Shield and Dexter) is attached as a writer and executive producer.

Sarah Wayne Callies has just scored the female lead in AMC’s eagerly anticipated The Walking Dead series, based on Robert Kirkman’s megapopular comic books.
    She will portray Lori Grimes, the slowly-unraveling wife of the show’s hero, Rick (Andrew Lincoln).

MOD EDIT: The show premiered on Halloween night (31/10) in the US on AMC, and will premiere on FX in the UK on November 5th.

The show will be discussed in this thread at US pace without spoiler tags from post #200 onwards. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

AMC? Count me in!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm passing on this...it's far too intelligent and "high brow" for my taste...gimme The Hills or Gossip Girl :-) (j/k....no i really am!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

WDcomp.jpg
    Cabler is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Stillerman noted that the cabler's annual "Fear Fest" movie showcase around Halloween is one of AMC's most popular programming events of the year. "We've got an audience that loves this kind of material," he said.
    Continuing its perfect pilot-to-series track record, AMC has ordered at least six episodes of "The Walking Dead."

Actually, "The Walking Dead" is one step better than AMC's normal routine, because the cable network has sent the zombie franchise to series without even shooting a pilot.

Based on the Image Comics series by Robert Kirkman, "The Walking Dead" pilot was written by Frank Darabont, who will also direct and executive produce. Joining Darabont and Kirkman on the executive producing team are Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert and the newly added Charles "Chic" Eglee ("Dexter").

"The Walking Dead" will begin production in June in Atlanta. The six-episode first season will premiere in October 2010 as part of AMC's annual Fearfest Halloween celebration.

"AMC strives to make original shows that play like movies and 'The Walking Dead' is a perfect complement to the network’s celebrated movie franchise, Fearfest, which has always been an important destination for our audience," says Charlie Collier, AMC President, in a statement. "With its depth of story and the remarkable talent attached, 'The Walking Dead' gives us an opportunity to raise the bar significantly within this popular genre, and continue our commitment to being the home of premium programming on basic cable."

Kirkman's comic premiered in 2003 and has become one of the medium's landmark titles with its harsh and unflinching depiction of a world overrun by zombies and the increased desperation of the few surviving humans. The series' main character is Rick Grimes, a former police officer. There are dozens of other human characters, but it's best not to get too attached to most of them. In "The Walking Dead," anybody can die at any time.

So far, casting on "The Walking Dead" is in its early phases with only Jon Bernthal ("The Pacific," "The Class") attached, playing Grimes' friend Shane.

"'The Walking Dead' is that rare piece of material that plays on many levels," says Joel Stillerman, Senior Vice President of Programming, Production and Digital Content. "Kirkman's series brilliantly captures the social commentary and ongoing human drama of the zombie apocalypse; and let's us kick a little zombie you-know-what from time to time."

To date, AMC has ordered four drama pilots. "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" are the network's Emmy-winning foundation. The political thriller "Rubicon" will premiere this summer.

It has gone into production and is due to air around October.

Wow I am so excited this could be amazing. Here is an interview with Darabont and some Zombies pictures!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/101966-first-look-at-amcs-the-walking-dead

Reading about this has made my morning.

walkingdeadzombschoolnews.jpg

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

looks good. isn't darabont the guy that directed The Mist?

AMC should do it good. new show to look forward to.
    thanks opr :)

whiteman19 wrote: »
    looks good. isn't darabont the guy that directed The Mist?

Yeah that's him also The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. The talent involved in the show is pretty sick.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Please do a quick search on the forum before starting new threads.

Do really you think the fact that Frank Darabont was doing an adult zombie drama on AMC would have been missed by the news hounds in this forum? :)

Cheers, I'll do my best next time to search walking instead waking :o

Opr

Some more pictures.

wdb1.jpeg

wde.jpeg

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45461

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

footage of show or gtfo

A TV show based around Zombies from an Oscar-nominated director - this could be epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A TV show based around Zombies from an Oscar-nominated director - this could be epic.

Or it could be utter shìte.................heh, who am I kidding, at worst it should be middling!

I'm so in to catch this from episode 1!

The costume and makeup alone must cost a fortune!....guess that accounts for a five ep. order. This could be great or suck, best way to judge is watch the pilot and take it from there.

But it has a very solid team behind it.

Casting news: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a229015/two-more-cast-in-walking-dead.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Cool, really like the comic its insanely graphic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

AMC can do no wrong at the moment. Let's hope this keeps the standards up.
    Certainly looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

2 excellent in-depth articles from one of Aint It Cool's guys on set of the pilot shoot.

Obviously a tiny bit spoilerish but it's interesting to see how serious they're filming this. It'll be filmed very professionaly, as in not like the shaky-cam style.

Part One:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45528
    Part Two:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45540

Interesting news, not sure what this means for the show: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a234773/darabont-only-directing-dead-pilot.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

That's nothing unusual. I'm sure they have some great directors lined up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

this should be amazing!!

combining my two favourite things, zombiies and television!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, this show is gonna be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I hadn't read the comic book until I heard about the series but decided to look at them over the summer... about 12 issues in now and if the show is half as good as the comic book, this show is going to be awesome. I'm already hoping for a renewal as there's a lot of story to tell (73 issues so far and the comic book is still going...).

walkingdead-cast-amc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I didn't realise Andrew Lincoln was in it until this morning..

.. absolutely cracking actor!

Brillant in 'Teachers' and 'This Life'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

is that the doctor out of Prison Break to the left of the kid? it looks like her anyway.

plenty of nice looking women in it. always nice to have a bit of eye candy :D

EDIT: yes it is Sara Tencredi (Sarah Wayne Callies IRL). thought she was a good enough actress in Prison Break.

I saw that cast photo on a few blogs too - they seem to have done a good job as far as the look of the characters goes, most of them look very much like their comic book counterparts.

Details of who is writing and directing each of the six episodes of the first season:
    The writers...
    1) Frank Darabont
    2) Frank Darabont
    3) Frank Darabont, Chic Eglee (The Shield, Dexter), Jack LoGuidice (Sons of Anarchy)
    4) Robert Kirkman (the creator of the original comics)
    5) Glen Mazzara (The Shield, Hawthorne)
    6) Adam Fierro (The Shield, Dexter, 24)

The directors...
    1) Frank Darabont
    2) Michelle MacLaren (Breaking Bad, The X-Files)
    3) Gwyneth Horder-Payton (The Shield, Battlestar Galacticas)
    4) Johan Renck (Breaking Bad)
    5) Ernest Dickerson (The Wire, Dexter)
    6) Guy Ferland (The Shield, Sons of Anarchy)

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/45801

• Advertisement

Ohh.. this is going to be superb.

Advertisement