Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead (AMC) [**Spoilers**]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Brilliant episode. Absolutely wonderful watching. Couldnt take my eyes off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Is this the official intro?

For the first time in my life, I prefer the fan-made intro:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

They should have gone with the fan made one the one they have gone with is completely forgetable , if you're not gonna go for a lost style intro for the love of god at least make the theme music hummable/memorable .

They probably had the intro already on the show long before the fan one was made, and it probably would have cost too much to re-edit it needlessly. But yes, the fan made one was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Thought it was pretty good.Liked the end when
    he urged the horse on and went around a corner and there was the horde of zombies.Lousy on the horse though, didn't like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

great, really enjoyed it and so did the wife which was a bonus, she doesn't always like zombie type stuff. i keep telling her its research and that she needs to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse, but she's not buying it. :D

still, she's hooked on it already as well which is great.

zombies in tv and movies are like bacon. if you do it well, there isn't much in the world that can't be made better by adding some. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They should have gone with the fan made one the one they have gone with is completely forgetable , if you're not gonna go for a lost style intro for the love of god at least make the theme music hummable/memorable .
    Well.. for one, the fan-made one used a song by the Eels so they'd have to get the rights to that. If not, they'd need to substitute the music. And the music makes that trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

As soon as the PreAir appeared I had to make a decision: Wait until November 1st or watch the damn thing now after been teased all summer long.

I'm delighted I made the decision to watch it, what a cracker of an opening. Andrew Lincoln did a good job carrying most the show on his own, and while it stays true to the path of the comic it delves deeper into some aspects as well as taking some interesting detours.
    In the comic Rick didn't hop into the tank, although it's seen in the same spot where he's attacked on the horse. A nice little touch.

Darabount added a touch of class to it and it actually does feel like a movie in some parts in regards to the cinematography. I'm glad they went with the classic way of filming instead of having that over-used shaky-cam crap.

Zombies were cewl and the gore is as what you would expect from a Romero zombie movie. The make-up is top-notch, doesn't feel like any corners were cut. I hate CGI blood in movies but for TV it's understandable because of money and time, plus it's not badly done here either.

The soundtrack is really good too, very downbeat and subtle.
    The father sniping out his window so he could get the attention of his wife while Rick went to kill that half-zombie had a great piece throughout.

I've read 60 of the issues to see what this whole thing was about and if they stick to the comic while taking interesting detours then this show should have a promising few seasons ahead. It's great to see that AMC took such a chance with this show.............though if the director of Shawshank and the producer of Terminator came to you with this proposal it would be a bit foolish to tell them to fùck off.

My biggest problem is now I have to wait 2 weeks for episode 2, BAH!!.....................but it was worth it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

I haven't enjoyed a pilot this much in a long long time. I knew nothing about it going in other than zombies and I was not disappointed by any of it.

It's already the thing im most looking forward to. I just did not want it to end. Absolutely awesome!

(though i did feel a little bit of meh at the start with the whole 30 days later feel to it but that quickly disappeared).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

I'm conflicted, should I watch now or wait for the official?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I'm waiting til it it comes out properly on TV; I want to enjoy it in as best quality as possible, and with everyone else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Didn't realise there was already some leaked copies, will be going searching tonight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

That was magnificent. I'll echo what has already been said, best pilot I've seen in years, and felt very much like a movie.
    In one way, I'm glad the horse got eaten in this episode. He was always gonna get eaten, and had they familiarised me with him over a few episodes, I would have been a hell of a lot more upset to see him get munched!
    :o:pac:

Also good to see Lennie James in it. Had no idea he made an appearance, and I've missed his presence since Jericho ended :(

Archimedes wrote: »
    Also good to see Lennie James in it. Had no idea he made an appearance, and I've missed his presence since Jericho ended :(
    He was superb too as Morgan.

His performance and mannerisms seemed exactly like how I imagined him in the comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

god, i'm almost tempted to get it and watch it now, but that means a longer wait til the next episode :(

gah, i'm in two minds over it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

basquille wrote: »
    This was goddamn amazing!

You're goddamn right it was!
    Definitely one of the most cinematic pilots I've seen since 'Lost'.. it was EPIC written all over it.

E-P-I-C. Really well written and I thought the pacing was absolutely brilliant.
    And credit to Bear McCreary whose score is understated but superb.

+1 again, really suits the tone of it.
    The 67 minutes flew by.. and at the end, all I could think was "the 2 and a half week wait to episode 2 is gonna kill me".

:(
    AMC and Frank Darabont, you've gone and done it again!

Correct and right.
    Archimedes wrote: »
    In one way, I'm glad the horse got eaten in this episode. He was always gonna get eaten, and had they familiarised me with him over a few episodes, I would have been a hell of a lot more upset to see him get munched!
    :o:pac:
    I was willing the horse to throw him and bolt so it wouldn't be eaten, poor fcuker.

Honestly I can see this being HUGE once it hits the mainstream. Everyone loves a good zombie movie and this gives you an entire series dedicated to it. Also I don't know how anyone could watch it and not like it, I can't remember the last time I was that impressed by a shows Pilot.

Darabont is a genius, there was some unbelievably tense moments:
    When he's in the hospital stairwell with a box of matches, I was convinced everytime he sparked one there'd be a walker in there with him.

When he sent the kid off to get changed in the other room, was sure he was a zombie snackbox.

Yet both would have been pretty cliché and they were avoided, but the suspense was still there for me. Brilliant.

Also I thought the scene where he was about to shoot himself in the head was beautifully done, I almost felt as if I was pulling myself up into the tank with him the way the camerawork was done, really encapsulating.

Couple of nice plots that can pick up too:

(1)Morgan and Duane coming back into it.

(2)How Rick is going to deal with his best mate riding his wife, guessing this will be discovered in the last episode.

(3)The dude on the radio in the tank that talks to Rick at the end.

I'm also curious enough about the zombies. Do they have some form of intelligence? As the one that gets off the bus in Atlanta gets some screen time and spends a long time looking at Rick like they were hinting at something. Or are they mindless drones focused just on feeding?
    Also are yclassic zombies? Or Left 4 Dead style zombies? During the first few interactions with them they're slow, shambling Romero style Z's. But then when he runs into a crowd of them in Atlanta they sprint after him, L4D style.

I don't know how I'm going to wait this long for the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I enjoyed the pilot, but will watch again in 720p when available.
    I was glad to see Hawkins from Jericho again, another "survivor-in-a-screwed-up-world" role :) Maybe he has a nuke he can use on Atlanta? :)
    Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm also curious enough about the zombies. Do they have some form of intelligence? As the one that gets off the bus in Atlanta gets some screen time and spends a long time looking at Rick like they were hinting at something.

According to IMDB,
    Several of the zombies are credited with appearing in 6 episodes, so maybe they might be grooming some leader-caste type zombies like (*shudder*) Land of the Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

I'm guessing they mean characters like Morgan Jones' wife and other people they knew

Was just thinking there..

What are the odds the DVD / Blu-ray of this will have the episodes in Black & White?

Considering it worked so well with Darabont's 'The Mist' and 'The Walkind Dead' comics are in Black & White, it seems probable.

Was just thinking there..

What are the odds the DVD / Blu-ray of this will have the episodes in Black & White?

Considering it worked so well with Darabont's 'The Mist' and 'The Walkind Dead' comics are in Black & White, it seems probable.

Just turn down the satuation on your TV :p

I really want to watch this in 720p again, the preair was fine quality but I want to see it in glorious HD!

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I really want to watch this in 720p again, the preair was fine quality but I want to see it in glorious HD!
    Hells yeah!

Saving that til next Monday for myself and the girlfriend.. couldn't convince her to watch the preair, but I'd say she'll love the HD copy.

EDIT: On my point above about the possibility of a B&W version on the DVD..
    The Walking Dead in B&W?

Said Gale Ann Hurd, "We tested other cameras. But the best for The Walking Dead was Super 16." But Darabont and Hurd hinted at a possible B&W alternate version on the inevitable DVD.
    Source: UGO

I watched the preair with my gf and she seemed to like it, she's going to give a chance to see how it pans out. She was grossed out by some bits so I knew the show was doing something right :pac:

Yakuza wrote: »
    I enjoyed the pilot, but will watch again in 720p when available.
    I was glad to see Hawkins from Jericho again, another "survivor-in-a-screwed-up-world" role :) Maybe he has a nuke he can use on Atlanta? :)

According to IMDB,
    Several of the zombies are credited with appearing in 6 episodes, so maybe they might be grooming some leader-caste type zombies like (*shudder*) Land of the Dead.

I don't know if this is a spoiler, but is it possible that they're playing multiple zombies rather than the same one throughout?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The amount of hype, PR and buzz surrounding this show is nothing short of astonishing!....this will be the monster hit to put AMC on the map, i predict 3.5-4 million viewers for the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

So......is it better to avoid the comics in case of spoilers?
    Or......read the comics in advance of the shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

And credit to Bear McCreary whose score is understated but superb.

Anything scored by Bear is good by me,the guy is simply a musical genius .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

DeepBlue wrote: »
    So......is it better to avoid the comics in case of spoilers?
    Or......read the comics in advance of the shows?

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/10/01/walking-dead/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Just heard of this today and I'd been looking for a new TV series to watch.

****ing found it now! :D

Don't think I'd dare suggest anything to make that first episode better. Can't wait for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It looks like the pre-air has done nothing to hurt the show. I sometimes wonder if studios leak it themselves to gauge reaction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Really looking forward to this. The metacritic score is sweeet! Granted, only four reviews, but that makes me hugely optimistic. Read the first four graphic novels a few years ago, loved it, but never thought it would make a good film or tv series. How wrong was I? Anyway, I'll wait for this bad boy to air before seeing it.

Advertisement