Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Did you all just starting the news in 2016 or something?

At this stage I think the majority of liberals have convinced themselves that everything was fine under Obama.............. hell, I think even Obama has:

https://twitter.com/DonnaWR8/status/1056196130323791873

A little reminder for such folk seems apt:

And also let's not forget that one of the most racist terroristic mass murder shootings happened during Obama's tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I work in the states quite a bit. It's not as simple as loving Israel. I've heard Israeli supporting colleagues complain about percieved Jewish nepotism. It's a very confused nation.

There are millions of christian Zionists who support Israel only because they want the Christian prophesies fulfilled to bring about the rapture.

A lot of very bad ideas all jumbled up together

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Soros is a self proclaimed atheist

That doesn't matter to Nazis.

And Nazis hate atheists almost as much as they hate Jews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This is the first time in years I've heard of Jews being the target of a mass shooting. You might as well say the Amish are always the target because there was a shooting in an Amish school once. And I think Trump is a gobshite but blaming him for some nutcase shooting a load of people is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

A pretty reputable Israeli publication is very much so backing my previous assertion that Trump's "globalist" references while naming people like Soros is very much so playing to an anti semitic base... Bloody Charlottesville was playing to that base too btw, saying that some of the Nazis were decent.. They weren't...

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/us-news/.premium-u-s-jews-despair-is-compounded-by-trump-s-complicity-and-netanyahu-s-hypocrisy-1.6595901?__twitter_impression=true

Correction in relation to my Stephen Miller remark. He's more racist than anti semetic although has been disowned by his uncle for his engaging in policies that would have been blocked their family from refuge during the war.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/13/stephen-miller-is-an-immigration-hypocrite-i-know-because-im-his-uncle-219351

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

batgoat wrote: »
    Correction in relation to my Stephen Miller remark. He's more racist than anti semetic although has been disowned by his uncle for his engaging in policies that would have been blocked their family from refuge during the war.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/13/stephen-miller-is-an-immigration-hypocrite-i-know-because-im-his-uncle-219351

Miller can be a racist (seems obvious) and an anti-semite and Jewish. The term "self-hating" Jew comes to mind, Miller is portrayed in the media as an extremist, cold-blooded and calculating anti-immigrant, which coming from an immigrant Jewish family is surprising to say the least. Just seems like he's an ogre causing children to be separated from their parents and dismissing the poem on the Statue of Liberty. Creepy guy

Igotadose wrote: »
    Miller can be a racist (seems obvious) and an anti-semite and Jewish. The term "self-hating" Jew comes to mind, Miller is portrayed in the media as an extremist, cold-blooded and calculating anti-immigrant, which coming from an immigrant Jewish family is surprising to say the least. Just seems like he's an ogre causing children to be separated from their parents and dismissing the poem on the Statue of Liberty. Creepy guy

There seems to be a thing where people are perfectly willing to gloss over pretty implications in Trump's rhetoric and employment decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

There seems to be a thing where people are perfectly willing to gloss over pretty implications in Trump's rhetoric and employment decisions.

IOKIYAR :) Trump surrounded himself with the flotsam and jetsam of the right-wing corners of the Internet. Bannon while COS had massively racists books in his office, and has been openly anti-semitic for years. Breitbart was started by a Jew, but was a big-time anti-semitic toilet until due to Trump it gained popularity and they "try" to keep the rabid anti-antisemitism under control. https://www.adl.org/resources/backgrounders/steve-bannon-five-things-to-know

As was stated on the Trump thread, if it happens under Trump, it's attributable to Trump, since Trump's attitude is 'all things that happened under my predecessor were bad and his fault.' This is of course silly reasoning, but I'm willing to state it until Trump pivots away from blaming his predecessor for everything wrong under his watch. He's been elected to fix it, grow up and fix it and stop whining about it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Also, the nut was no Trump sycophant:

Amazing how easily many people are willing to blame Trump on the actions of a lunatic.

Trump has had many chances and many shootings to do something about America’s gun violence, with a majority Congress and Senate.

However, he chooses to listen to domestic terrorists, the NRA.

So yes, any shooting that happens after Trump does nothing is on him and on the GOP.

Before anyone starts with Obama, he didn’t have a majority Congress who blocked every bill that addressed gun violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

gw80 wrote: »
    Attacks primarily by Muslims,

Agreed.

I grew up in Villeurbanne, suburb of Lyon with a sizeable Jewish community. I lived in a predominantly Jewish quartier, there were never any issues with this. Ah sure yeah, a few comedians 'd be slagging with jokes (many other communities and countries we're slagged too at that less PC time, Belgians for example). My best friend was Judith, what lovely hair all the Jewish girls and ladies had, that's what we noticed the most, and as kids we'd be sure to explore how cruel it was that they didn't have Christmas presents :D

Until 1995, when a nail bomb was planted outside a Jewish school by some Algerian Muslim organisation. I was walking down avenue by that street as a teenager when this happened, one of my scariest experience ever. that year marked the start of a campaign of violence against Jewish French people.

https://www.lesechos.fr/08/09/1995/LesEchos/16978-138-ECH_attentat-a-villeurbanne--a-la-porte-d-une-ecole-juive.htm

Maybe there is a small portion of non Muslim French population that would be antisemitic, but it's more a political/debating type of issue, you know, a "taking position" approach , the physical attacks are from Muslims.

Most French non Muslim people I know (all, now that I think of it) genuinely don't give a shi t about religion.

Thinking of the families that are grieving from these pointless deaths. I love the US in many respects, but it must feel so unsafe to live there what with the gun situation. We all have to contend with terrorism, but at least here it's a lot less likely the local nutjob will get to act out their shooting fantasies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

So a guy, who is a loon and is critical of Trump, kills 11 Jews, and Trump, a man who is clearly pro-Jew and has a Jewish daughter, gets blamed for it.

You've been crying wolf since he got elected, and then wonder why none of his fanbase gives a toss about the news. If this can be anti-Trump, everything can be anti-Trump. Did you all just starting the news in 2016 or something?

It's Trump's attitudes towards gun culture which are to blame, not his attitudes towards Jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It's Trump's attitudes towards gun culture which are to blame, not his attitudes towards Jews.

His attitude towards violence in general. Only a few days ago he was cheering on a GOP member for assaulting a reporter.

I'd also suggest that Trump's actions do not imply a respect for one particular ethnic group. For example he states he loves England but was known to fund Sinn Fein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Trump watches Fox News, which broadcasts conspiracy theorists like this guy:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1056324117329297409

He then tweets about the conspiracy theories and other rubbish he saw on Fox News.

Fox News then reports that the conspiracy theories are actually true because 'Look! the president himself is talking about them and he has access to top-security info!'

It's a cycle of bullshít feeding off itself and which creates situations where a heavily-armed militia is heading south to attack a caravan of migrants because the president and Fox News told them it was full of ISIS terrorists mysteriously funded by George Soros.

His attitude towards violence in general. Only a few days ago he was cheering on a GOP member for assaulting a reporter.

And his refusal to class American Nazis as bad people isn't exactly pro-Jewish.

Nazis - "JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US"

Trump - "Many fine people on both sides"

Yeah, not exactly a defender of the Jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There is a minutes silence today at the Pittsburgh steelers game for the the victims of yesterday's shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

"Racism is evil -- and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans,"..... Donald Trump

Repugnant not strong enough a word for you?

Celticfire wrote: »

Decent people on both sides...

Decent people on both sides...

Well then I guess there's no point in whining that he doesn't condemn Nazis for when it's been show that yes he has actually publicly condemned them the usual out of context "decent people on both sides " soundbite is thrown out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Trump and his supporters are massively pro Israel.

His daughter converted to Juduaism ffs.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Ivanka mmmmmmmmmmmm

Well then I guess there's no point in whining that he doesn't condemn Nazis for when it's been show that yes he has actually publicly condemned them the usual out of context "decent people on both sides " soundbite is thrown out.

Saying that there's some decent Nazis and white supremacists at Charlottesville is okay?

Saying that there's some decent Nazis and white supremacists at Charlottesville is okay?

That's not what he said or wished to imply. If you don't want to accept that there were some ordinary people that were there to protest the removal of the statues (whether you agree with the removal or not )that weren't affiliated to Nazis and that these were the folks he was talking about then there's no point continuing with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Bowers was also critical of President Donald Trump, writing on Gab days before the shooting that, “Trump is a globalist, not a nationalist. There is no #MAGA as long as there is a kike infestation.”

And this mass shooting happened shortly after prominent anti-semite Louis Farrakhan referred to jewish people as TERMITES. Yet so many self-proclaimed social justice warriors didn't see fit to see anything whatsoever wrong with that. We have to call out ALL evil or we are calling out none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

lertsnim wrote: »
    Thoughts and prayers
    ...and guns.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Trump talking rubbish about synagogues and churches needing armed guards to protect them.
    Odd how we don't see that in other countries. I wonder why.

Berserker wrote: »
    Try again. The USA is a country where Jewish people thrive. Devout Christians throughout the USA, who support Trump in general, adore Israel and have strong religious connections to Judaism.
    Isn't this because they are waiting/hoping for a cataclysmic war in Israel to bring about Armageddon/the Rapture? Rather than appreciation of Jewish culture/people? Odd how they faced such discrimination in the US until the whole Evangelical thing really took off.

That's not what he said or wished to imply. If you don't want to accept that there were some ordinary people that were there to protest the removal of the statues (whether you agree with the removal or not )that weren't affiliated to Nazis and that these were the folks he was talking about then there's no point continuing with this.

There wasn't, no person would attend a march of that kind unless they shared the white supremacist and anti-semetic tone. You cannot rewrite what occurred in Charlottesville. It will go down in history as a neo nazi and white supremacist rally because it was. There is absolutely no question about it. He also made those remarks shortly after a counter protester was run over and killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Chewchewtrain

He wished to imply moral equivalence between the 50 neo nazi/white supremacists in attendance (the "Jews will not replace us" crowd), and the people protesting them.

• Advertisement

And if he had said that straight away he wouldn't face the same criticisim but it took him days. So either he had to get someone to finely craft those simple words or he had to consider how he felt about nazis.

If you are marching alongside people shouting nazi slogans then you are indeed affiliated with them, even if you originally only went for your own genuine reason of wanting to preserve the memory of slavery leaders.

Advertisement