Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Odhinn

lads none of you have ever been to Israel
    don't believe everything you hear on your msm
    i was there and travelled north, south, east and west for work
    it's the same as every other country

....it's colonising areas outside its recognised borders with an apartheid system of governance and extreme brutality. Unless you're from indonesia or china I'm a bit baffled by how you could thing its "the same as every other country".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭shady acres

nullzero wrote: »
    It's the same as every other apartheid state that is armed to the teeth and aggressive towards all of its neighbours.

that is armed to the teeth

that is true
    for example you could be sitting at a restaurant and a load of guys will turn up with machine guns and sit down and order food
    takes a while to get used to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

lads none of you have ever been to Israel
    don't believe everything you hear on your msm
    i was there and travelled north, south, east and west for work
    it's the same as every other country

I've been to Israel too, just under 2 years ago and I concur. However I must say i didn't go to Gaza. I went from Tel Aviv to Haifa to Golan Heights to Dead Sea to Jerusalem and back to Tel Aviv. Talking to the average Israeli, like any place some are in favor of their government and some are not particularly the younger more open minded people.

That being said, I understand why they are armed to the teeth and have checkpoints etc. Their rational is they've been constantly attacked by the PLO, Hamas etc so they are very defensive about that. They say that will stop when the Palestinians stop attacking. However me understanding that they are saying, doesn't mean I agreed with them, I don't.

Also not saying it doesn't happen but when I was there, I ate out plenty there and never saw IDF come in with restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Today is the 80th anniversary of Kristallnacht. That was the turning point, in retrospect the beginning of the Holocaust, when Jews in Germany finally switched from (a) thinking about leaving to (b) looking for the exit a.s.a.p. Many went to the USA for safety, so the idea that they might not be safe in the USA is, to put it politely, not on. :mad:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

that is armed to the teeth

that is true
    for example you could be sitting at a restaurant and a load of guys will turn up with machine guns and sit down and order food
    takes a while to get used to

Terrifying.

Until I came to Ireland I had never seen a real gun. I was waiting in the car outside a bank for a friend who had gone in when a patrol of soldiers arrived to cover a cash delivery. One was alll but on the car bonnet and I have never known such sheer terror at the sight of that gun so close.
    Felt panic, like leaving the car and running.. yes I KNOW.

All the years I was street trading I would see this and never got used to it

Someone here on boards a few years back showed a collage of airport security staff and I watch some of the customs programmes on youtube

I would never travel far again. Not that I am able for that anyways. And could not live with guns around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

bnt wrote: »
    Today is the 80th anniversary of Kristallnacht. That was the turning point, in retrospect the beginning of the Holocaust, when Jews in Germany finally switched from (a) thinking about leaving to (b) looking for the exit a.s.a.p. Many went to the USA for safety, so the idea that they might not be safe in the USA is, to put it politely, not on. :mad:

That was so many years ago and a different America. See the issues around refugees now?

Thank you for the reminder of that atrocity. Will light a candle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Graces7 wrote: »
    That was so many years ago and a different America. See the issues around refugees now?
    Not all that different. One ship full of Jewish refugees was turned away from Miami port, and returned to Europe where at least a quarter of them were killed. The reason was panic over one Nazi spy who had been caught entering the USA on a previous refugee ship. That was enough to have government officials, up to and including President Roosevelt, suspect all Jewish immigrants of being or harbouring Nazi spies. But to be fair, the Holocaust was so unthinkable that the first reports sounded exaggerated, and it took a long time for the reality to hit home.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement