Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Okay so I know that thoughts and prayers didn’t prevent this one, but they’ll definitely stop the next mass shooting.

I mean it’s not like anything else can be done in the only country where this regularly happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

batgoat wrote: »
    Trump has been doing anti semetic dogwhistles at George Soros for a few months. This resulted in him being one of the targets of the Maga Bomber... So Trump very much so is further enabling this stuff.

Yeah, Trump, the man who recognised Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and continuously champions Israel, is anti-semitic. I've heard it all now.
    Okay so I know that thoughts and prayers didn’t prevent this one, but they’ll definitely stop the next mass shooting.

I mean it’s not like anything else can be done in the only country where this regularly happens.

What do you think about having more thoughts and prayers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Berserker wrote: »
    Yeah, Trump, the man who recognised Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and continuously champions Israel, is anti-semitic. I've heard it all now.

I would very much so say that espousing conspiracies about George Soros who is subject to huge amounts of antisemitic conspiracies is in fact antisemitic. He also endangered the man's life by doing so which seems to be grand with you btw...

Also worth remembering Steve Bannon and Miller are both rather antisemitic. Two prominent members of his staff in the past. The term "globalist" in itself has antisemitic connotations. So yep he's well able to be anti semetic regardless of the Jerusalem embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Before Trump became president:
    Between 2014 and 2017, 56,755 Americans were killed by guns, including 2,710 children under the age of 12.

In that time, there were 1,333 mass shootings - defined as incidents in which at least four people are injured or killed - eight of them at elementary or high schools.

Americas gun culture is the problem. Trump is a minor character in what is an all powerful lobby group - the NRA.

That statistic is misleading - the majority of those deaths are suicides, and US suicide rates are broadly the same as the rest of the western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It’s worth a try. I mean there’s nothing else anyone could possibly do to stop this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭gw80

Jews are the targets in every society. If you think they have it bad in the US, take a look at anti-Semitism in France where the Jewish population has dropped by something like 20% due to anti-Semitic attacks on their community.

Attacks primarily by Muslims,

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

10 officially confirmed dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Odhinn

DColeman wrote: »
    10 officially confirmed dead.

Shortly before the shooting, in an account on the Gab social media platform that authorities are investigating, the suspect is believed to have posted he "can't sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics, I'm going in."
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/27/us/pittsburgh-synagogue-active-shooter/index.html

Thinking that can often be seen on this website unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

B0jangles wrote: »
    Weird how Neo-nazis and White Nationalists love Trump even though he apparently hasn't either done or said anything to support them?

Maybe the Neo-Nazis misunderstood him when he said there were "very fine people on both sides" after their march in Charlottesville, and though that that was the President tacitly endorsing their views?

He has and continues to use hateful and divisive rhetoric to stoke the fear and anger of a subset of the population and then pleads ignorance when they go off and murder ordinary people who are just trying to live their lives.

Let's also not forget that a leading chant at Charlotesville was "Jews will not replace us".

While Trump himself is not anti-Semitic, a large part of his base is. There's also a part that think Trump doesn't go far enough in regards to talking against the Jews.

The whole country is a nightmare, and yes, it's gotten worse under Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He's not wrong. The victims of these attacks are usually so-called "gun-free zones", which are really just soft targets. Contrast this with an attempted Isis attack in Texas where the attackers were gunned down almost immediately by armed security and police.

Its not unique to the US - after the Isis attacks in France there were soldiers patrolling the streets outside potential targets.

Eh, a trained and armed policeman was mown down in Paris the time of the Bataclan wasn't he?

Bit too much to expect a heap of have-a-go Rambos panicking to save everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Eh, a trained and armed policeman was mown down in Paris the time of the Bataclan wasn't he?

Bit too much to expect a heap of have-a-go Rambos panicking to save everyone.

I think it was at the Charlie Hebdo massacre, and he was one policeman with a pistol who took on two jihadis armed with assault rifles.

At the same time that doesn't mean that it's a waste of time to not have armed security or that people should be discouraged or banned from owning firearms.

It is better to have people with the tools to try and defend themselves and others than a group of people who don't and can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

B0jangles wrote: »
    Weird how Neo-nazis and White Nationalists love Trump even though he apparently hasn't either done or said anything to support them?

There's nothing weird about it. Or at least not in the way you're suggesting.

No more weirder than black supremacists supporting Obama.......... that doesn't make him one though does it?
    Trump has been doing anti semetic dogwhistles at George Soros for a few months.

You people would blame almost anything on Trump. You'd swear the world was utopic before his tenure.

Ivanka is Jewish ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

11 confirmed dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Also, the nut was no Trump sycophant:
    Bowers was also critical of President Donald Trump, writing on Gab days before the shooting that, “Trump is a globalist, not a nationalist. There is no #MAGA as long as there is a kike infestation.” Bowers also denied voting for Trump, saying, “For the record, I did not vote for him nor have I owned, worn or even touched a maga hat.”

Amazing how easily many people are willing to blame Trump on the actions of a lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    At least 8 people are dead after a gunman opened fire at a synagogue in Pittsburgh. Seems that the shooter is now in custody and came out saying that "all these Jews need to die". Why are Jewish people always the first target from many sides? You'd think we'd have moved on after a few thousand years of it.

Racists and anti semites seem to feel emboldened in Trump's America. Doesn't feel good to live here tbh, you never know when the next psycho is going to do something.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-46002549

Trump is the most pro Israel president in living memory and that is a tall order.
    He moved the American embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and his son in law is a dyed in the wool Zionist Israeli who ensures Trumps pro zionist stance will never do anything but take him in an even greater pro Israeli direction.
    I don't think much of Trump but if you're living in America and you're going to say Trump is encouraging anti semitic violence you really need to do some research instead of parroting populist nonsense.
    Opinions like yours speak volumes for the current NPC phenomenon, do you even think for yourself?

EDIT: In my haste I forgot to condemn the attack and express sadness for the victims and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Try again. The USA is a country where Jewish people thrive. Devout Christians throughout the USA, who support Trump in general, adore Israel and have strong religious connections to Judaism.

Anything remotely bad that happens now is his fault. Did you not get the memo?

Calling for the death penalty now. Agree with him 100%. Anyone who goes into a building and shoots people in this manner deserves that fate.

I work in the states quite a bit. It's not as simple as loving Israel. I've heard Israeli supporting colleagues complain about percieved Jewish nepotism. It's a very confused nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think it was at the Charlie Hebdo massacre, and he was one policeman with a pistol who took on two jihadis armed with assault rifles.

At the same time that doesn't mean that it's a waste of time to not have armed security or that people should be discouraged or banned from owning firearms.

It is better to have people with the tools to try and defend themselves and others than a group of people who don't and can't.

The one I'm talking about was at night. One cop walking down the street with his pistol out and the fellas with the assault rifles just walked towards him, shot him down and then finished him off as they were walking by.

Having armed, and presumably trained, security is different to having an uncoordinated rabble with their own personal firearms

After the first few shots are fired, nobody knows who the fuck is on whose side. There'd be chaos.

Edit: You are right. Charlie Hebdo. Just googled it and saw the (blurred and edited) video on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Odhinn wrote: »
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/27/us/pittsburgh-synagogue-active-shooter/index.html

Thinking that can often be seen on this website unfortunately.

I read an archive of his feed. If that was his account he's so right wing he hated trump. Trump was another "globalist"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Trump has been doing anti semetic dogwhistles at George Soros for a few months. This resulted in him being one of the targets of the Maga Bomber... So Trump very much so is further enabling this stuff.
    Taking issue with George Soros's views need not have anything whatsoever with his ethnicity.

Taking issue with George Soros's views need not have anything whatsoever with his ethnicity.

Eh, he claimed that George Soros and the Democrats had organised the migrant caravan... That was a conspiracy theory... Also claiming George Soros is part of a "globalist" agenda to control the world is textbook antisemitic conspiracy territory... Trump is not known for his factual analyses.. Fair few places have picked up on the implications of such rhetoric btw.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/outlook/2018/10/24/conspiracy-theories-about-soros-arent-just-false-theyre-anti-semitic/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Soros is a self proclaimed atheist

Eh, he claimed that George Soros and the Democrats had organised the migrant caravan... That was a conspiracy theory... Also claiming George Soros is part of a "globalist" agenda to control the world is textbook antisemitic conspiracy territory... Trump is not known for his factual analyses.. Fair few places have picked up on the implications of such rhetoric btw.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/outlook/2018/10/24/conspiracy-theories-about-soros-arent-just-false-theyre-anti-semitic/
    He's just spewing soundbites to play to the crowd. His daughter is married to a Jewish man. He's a New York "real estate" guy - safe to say he has plenty of Jewish pals.

He's just spewing soundbites to play to the crowd. His daughter is married to a Jewish man. He's a New York "real estate" guy - safe to say he has plenty of Jewish pals.

And had Steve Bannon in a prominent role and Steve is an anti smite, Miller also one. Also had that adoring Rally in Charlottesville. The one with the racists and anti semites... Said that there were decent people on both sides.... The man has very much so enabled both anti semitism and white nationalism....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

And had Steve Bannon in a prominent role and Steve is an anti smite, Miller also one. Also had that adoring Rally in Charlottesville. The one with the racists and anti semites... Said that there were decent people on both sides.... The man has very much so enabled both anti semitism and white nationalism....

A few hicks in the sticks doesn't make America anti semitic.
    America routinely defends Israel regardless of whatever humanitarian crimes they commit against Palestinians.
    Trump has been the most hawkishly zionist president in living memory. Are some(or even a lot) of Trumps supporters racists /xenophobic/anti semitic? I don't doubt it. Is America in danger of becoming hostile towards Jewish people, not a hope in hell.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Miller is Jewish...or is that what you're saying?

Even so, this still doesn't make him a person who hates Jews.

I am no fan of Trump, but I don't believe for a moment that he has an anti Jewish agenda going on. Or an anti black one. I think Bannon was appointed in spite of, rather than because of, anti Semitic views. I think he said "many fine people" so as not to alienate a significant contingent of his supporters. Yes they number far right folks who are anti Semitic (along with those who champion Israel) but as long as they're anti Democrat it's sufficient for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Can't believe Trump would do something like this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's weird but its starting to sound like there's a wedge forming, between amsricans who are pro israel but anti semitic.. It sounds weird but if you think about it, for many right wing Americans who are extremely pro zionist, their support is rooted in a form of anti-semitism. . The Evangelical support for Israel and the founding of the next temple is based on the idea that all the jews will either convert to Christianity or go to Hell once they found the temple and bring about the rapture .. It sounds crazy but thats what they actually believe,and the israel gov has been happy to go along with this since they dont believe in it but need the support

So a guy, who is a loon and is critical of Trump, kills 11 Jews, and Trump, a man who is clearly pro-Jew and has a Jewish daughter, gets blamed for it.

You've been crying wolf since he got elected, and then wonder why none of his fanbase gives a toss about the news. If this can be anti-Trump, everything can be anti-Trump. Did you all just starting the news in 2016 or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    At least 8 people are dead after a gunman opened fire at a synagogue in Pittsburgh. Seems that the shooter is now in custody and came out saying that "all these Jews need to die". Why are Jewish people always the first target from many sides? You'd think we'd have moved on after a few thousand years of it.

Racists and anti semites seem to feel emboldened in Trump's America. Doesn't feel good to live here tbh, you never know when the next psycho is going to do something.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-46002549
    Trump and his supporters are massively pro Israel.

His daughter converted to Juduaism ffs.

Advertisement