Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Independent - Sinn Fein

Options
  • 24-05-2020 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

The Sunday independent for decades has vilified Sinn Fein and anyone remotely sympathetic to the nationalist people of the 6 counties , today there’s. a very extensive interview with Mary Lou Donald . Strange times , clearly the new editor Alan English has a more inclusive philosophy that previous editors . The young people of this country are voting Sinn Fein in huge numbers and many of them are sympathetic to the nationalists in Northern Ireland and their plight at the hands of loyalists and British army, weather we like it or not .

The Sunday independent like many papers is tanking in the sales world but it has alienated anyone with a nationalist or indeed catholic view over the years , be interesting to see can the paper reach out to a new readership audience or are all papers goosed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The Sunday independent for decades has vilified Sinn Fein and anyone remotely sympathetic to the nationalist people of the 6 counties , today there’s. a very extensive interview with Mary Lou Donald . Strange times , clearly the new editor Alan English has a more inclusive philosophy that previous editors . The young people of this country are voting Sinn Fein in huge numbers and many of them are sympathetic to the nationalists in Northern Ireland and their plight at the hands of loyalists and British army, weather we like it or not .

The Sunday independent like many papers is tanking in the sales world but it has alienated anyone with a nationalist or indeed catholic view over the years , be interesting to see can the paper reach out to a new readership audience or are all papers goosed

Ya I'm sure all the young people will be rushing out to buy a paper

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

LuasSimon wrote:

I think most are goosed unfortunately, it ll be a very different landscape in a few years, and if social media becomes our main source, God help us

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Moving to CA

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I think most are goosed unfortunately, it ll be a very different landscape in a few years, and if social media becomes our main source, God help us

The Sindo is a staunch Fianna Fail paper with Jody Corcoran leading the way, championing Mícheal Martin like hes the next Barack Obama. He absolutely dispises Varadker. Eilis O Hanlon another who doesnt hide her disdain for the government. Eoghan Harris is completely against Sinners though. I cant think of one of their columnists who are balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The young people of this country are voting Sinn Fein in huge numbers and many of them are sympathetic to the nationalists in Northern Ireland and their plight at the hands of loyalists and British army, weather we like it or not.

Agreed and many of the rest of them have no memory of the troubles and couldn’t care less about SInn Fein’s involvement no matter how much Leo wishes otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I stopped buying papers years ago. Much easier to get more info online.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The Sindo is a staunch Fianna Fail paper with Jody Corcoran leading the way, championing Mícheal Martin like hes the next Barack Obama. He absolutely dispises Varadker. Eilis O Hanlon another who doesnt hide her disdain for the government. Eoghan Harris is completely against Sinners though. I cant think of one of their columnists who are balanced.

I'm more of a times person myself, but I actually don't read much at all, their podcasts are great though, there will always be bias in the media, it's how it works I guess, and I guess the independent has its followers, I'd rather see it survive though, good journalism is becoming harder to find

Wanderer78 wrote: »

It already is. And you’re right, God help us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The Indo trys to be unbiased and often succeeds and sometimes not. As for the sinners, well, if they don't get their press time they tend to go gaga in a big way so I suspect Sf have been badgering the indo for this pice for an age and now they have it. Last week it was Gerry this week M L next week? In short I tend to take no notice of mouthpieces in any media outlet.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Here's the interview for those interested. It was free to read earlier this morning but is now behind a paywall.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-big-interview-sinn-fein-the-ira-and-me-mary-lou-mcdonald-39229459.html

SF won't be happy with the interview i'd wager.

Here's the interview for those interested. It was free to read earlier this morning but is now behind a paywall.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-big-interview-sinn-fein-the-ira-and-me-mary-lou-mcdonald-39229459.html

The bit I read tell me all I need to know.....

So the reason she left FF was because she wanted to change politics. Yet she is not part of Sinn Fein Northern Ireland and has done nothing help the people of the North?

If it was such a compelling event in her life you would think she would have a passing interest in Northern Ireland

The other version, recounted by McDonald, is different, perhaps darker, but far more compelling. She vividly recalls the sadness in her house in the spring of 1981 as the hunger strikes in the Maze Prison unfolded, how tense her mother was, the national grief, the protests. Four days before she turned 12, on May 1, 1981, Bobby Sands died after 66 days on hunger strike. "It was the moment at which I realised there was something radically, radically wrong in the politics and the life of the Ireland in which I was growing up," McDonald reflected last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

I read online..mostly the journal.ie lol, cos it has a hilarious comments section.

As for Mary Lou McDonald, well, she's a certified wagon. Disagree? She loves scrapping with Varadkar (not a fan) in the Dail. How many times has she been thrown out now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I stopped buying papers years ago. Much easier to get more info online.

Not the Indo, almost every online article nowadays is "Premium" so you get a paragraph then the remainder is behind a paywall.

I'll probably buy it today to read the Hugh O'Connell / Mary Lou interview, I'm not expecting much though.

https://twitter.com/newirelander/status/1264530027359735809?s=19

but they certainly wouldn't be making their weekly or monthly targets from the likes of me.

In my opinion, the two big civil war party's exclusivity at power swapping has reached the end of the line - C&S in 2016 - possibly an official Coalition 2020 where, if that happens one will canabalise the other.

People may get ready for a shinner Govt/Taoiseach, because it's coming down the tracks. FF/G had the place for a hundred years to themselves, time to give someone else a go at things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Here we go. Mary Lou, the most venal and self interested politician in history with a new story as to why she hitched her career to a bunch of thugs. A false witch dripping with fake concern playing the stateswoman before creeping back to the black cave to take instructions from Uncle Gerry, Dessie Ellis, Slab and the rest of the crew.

If you want to vote for her look at the areas controlled by Sinn Fein thugs in Norn Iron. Is that where you want to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Yet she is not part of Sinn Fein Northern Ireland and has done nothing help the people of the North?

Sorry - you might want to run this one past me again there......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Sindo's long been a crappy rag.

In the interest of balance though, the shinners are a bunch of scrotes pretending to be interested in democracy and the rule of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Meh. A SF surge is bad for business for the Indo who are FF. And what else would you expect from Hugh O Connell? What would you expect from a pig only a grunt.

Its on reddit for free

• Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Sindo have always had an obsession with SF, they could be mentioned in a Sports section the TV review, anywhere.

It used be very well written and have some excellent contributions.

That is no longer the case, hasn't been for years.

The uniquely vile personality that was Aengus Fanning, his ex wife Anne, her ex Eoghan and up to 4 of their offspring write, have written for the paper.

It's been a joke rag for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

The Independent is against SF because members of SF have participated in the slaughter of innocent people on this island and in the UK.

They then try to justify it by saying because people were denied civil rights it entitles them to slaughter innocent people.

Nothing justifies killing innocent people. The Irish media have every right to to keep bringing this up until every last Provo is rotting in hell with that Terrorist Sands....

Once SF stop running candidates who were Terrorists and tried to overthrow the state then they can be treated like other parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    The bit I read tell me all I need to know.....

So the reason she left FF was because she wanted to change politics. Yet she is not part of Sinn Fein Northern Ireland and has done nothing help the people of the North?

If it was such a compelling event in her life you would think she would have a passing interest in Northern Ireland

The other version, recounted by McDonald, is different, perhaps darker, but far more compelling. She vividly recalls the sadness in her house in the spring of 1981 as the hunger strikes in the Maze Prison unfolded, how tense her mother was, the national grief, the protests. Four days before she turned 12, on May 1, 1981, Bobby Sands died after 66 days on hunger strike. "It was the moment at which I realised there was something radically, radically wrong in the politics and the life of the Ireland in which I was growing up," McDonald reflected last week.

Yes I'm sure she had every sympathy for the hunger strikers as she plodded off from Rathgar to her private school. Of course the useful idiots will lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

smurgen wrote: »
    Meh. A SF surge is bad for business for the Indo who are FF. And what else would you expect from Hugh O Connell? What would you expect from a pig only a grunt.
    Typical Shinner response. No ones opinion matters but theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The young people of this country are voting Sinn Fein in huge numbers and many of them are sympathetic to the nationalists in Northern Ireland and their plight at the hands of loyalists and British army, weather we like it or not .

The young people will vote for any party offering them a free gaf.

What will the young people think when we tell them that SF members stood and applauded a man known to have murdered a Guard?

piplip87 wrote: »
    The Independent is against SF because members of SF have participated in the slaughter of innocent people on this island and in the UK.

They then try to justify it by saying because people were denied civil rights it entitles them to slaughter innocent people.

Nothing justifies killing innocent people. The Irish media have every right to to keep bringing this up until every last Provo is rotting in hell with that Terrorist Sands....

Once SF stop running candidates who were Terrorists and tried to overthrow the state then they can be treated like other parties.

So nepotism and page after page of poor Journalism and weekly repetition of the same content rehashed was holding the Provisionals to account.

You don't believe your own bs, why expect others to?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Read the interview; what shocked me most was that Barry Egan didn’t get a mention. I must have missed it.

The young people will vote for any party offering them a free gaf.

What will the young people think when we tell them that SF members stood and applauded a man known to have murdered a Guard?

I disagree with SF on many issues but the reality is most don't care.

Whatever we think of it, people look at a qtr of a century as a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Danzy wrote: »
    I disagree with SF on many issues but the reality is most don't care.

Which says a lot about them. This is the current SF membership applauding Garda killers, not something that happened 25 years ago.

Which says a lot about them. This is the current SF membership applauding Garda killers, not something that happened 25 years ago.

And the public largely don't care.

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    Yes I'm sure she had every sympathy for the hunger strikers as she plodded off from Rathgar to her private school. Of course the useful idiots will lap it up.

How long did it take Sinn Fein to come up with that Spin....

She had no problem letting her party help in the closure of government for 3 years in Northern Ireland

Plus post here other day about Sinn Fein pushing more control to England while the unionist wanted to keep.

Yeah she really cares

Advertisement