Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Independent - Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Truthvader wrote: »
    Well lets think about whether society in the North is better now than it was pre 1969.

Firstly rich/ upper middle class Catholics were largely unaffected by the unionist state and prospered anyway despite the injustices

Poor working class people on both sides of the divide are accordingly the point to measure

About half the population are loyalist. In 1969 they got the best public housing and the pick of the public jobs. Plus they had a reliable and accepted police force and professional system of justice. They have now lost the unfair advantages they had but in addition have been abandonned to paramiltary thugs who control the working class estates . I dont think now is better for them. Do you?

The nationalist population pre 69 lived as second class citizens in a sick society where they got the **** houses and any **** jobs the prods didnt want. There was a functional ststem of justice (as long as it did not have operate accross the divide

Now they have equality and considerable investment etc BUT again the working class estates are controlled by thugs and bullies. Cross them or disrespect them and you can be killed, maimed or banished. There is no law and no justice save what the local hard man decides suits him. Its different but is it better. It seems to me that one set of overlords have been traded for another much more cruel a capricious mob.

are you alright?

My dad at the time was a middle class catholic in the north - he wasn't "largely unaffected by the unionist state" - quite the opposite.

you reckon people in general were better off then? Thats absolute tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with American foreign policy and is about the policy of FF, FG and Labour supporting America's war crimes. But you don't want to discuss these crimes and their victims.

Nothing to do with America but then goes off on a rant about American 'war crimes'.... :P:P
    Do you want me to post a photo of Irish leaders shaking hands with the various hangmen of Riyadh from down the years?

Oh please do.
    I noticed you also dodged talking about the support FF, FG and Labour gave to the RC church with regard to their kidnapping and slavery.

Oh not at all, its just a trope thrown at people at the end of the day. You may as well equate Connoly being responsible for Holodomor.

I am not fan of the power wielded by the RCC but your use of language in this instance is over done. Kidnapping, slavery.... hmmm

Nuns didn't go around the place in vans, with butterfly nets kidnapping babies or women. I think we all know that. What happened was much deeper and complex than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

markodaly wrote: »
    Nothing to do with America but then goes off on a rant about American 'war crimes'.... :P:P

Oh please do.

Oh not at all, its just a trope thrown at people at the end of the day. You may as well equate Connoly being responsible for Holodomor.

I am not fan of the power wielded by the RCC but your use of language in this instance is over done. Kidnapping, slavery.... hmmm

Nuns didn't go around the place in vans, with butterfly nets kidnapping babies or women. I think we all know that. What happened was much deeper and complex than that.

The IRA, fully supported by Mary-Lou, did go around kidnapping women and putting them in vans before they were disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

blanch152 wrote: »
    The IRA, fully supported by Mary-Lou, did go around kidnapping women and putting them in vans before they were disappeared.

She would have been in FF then, or maybe school.

The anti SF crap on here is just the same things, boring to be honest.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    She would have been in FF then, or maybe school.

The anti SF crap on here is just the same things, boring to be honest.

It is a thread about Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

It is a thread about Sinn Fein.

Yes, but it always brings up stuff about the IRA. Tiresome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Wow. Something something something to do with current members of SF being heavily involved in the IRA , one of them even pretending that he wasn’t in it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 67,451 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well lets think about whether society in the North is better now than it was pre 1969.

Firstly rich/ upper middle class Catholics were largely unaffected by the unionist state and prospered anyway despite the injustices

Poor working class people on both sides of the divide are accordingly the point to measure

About half the population are loyalist. In 1969 they got the best public housing and the pick of the public jobs. Plus they had a reliable and accepted police force and professional system of justice. They have now lost the unfair advantages they had but in addition have been abandonned to paramiltary thugs who control the working class estates . I dont think now is better for them. Do you?

The nationalist population pre 69 lived as second class citizens in a sick society where they got the **** houses and any **** jobs the prods didnt want. There was a functional ststem of justice (as long as it did not have operate accross the divide

Now they have equality and considerable investment etc BUT again the working class estates are controlled by thugs and bullies. Cross them or disrespect them and you can be killed, maimed or banished. There is no law and no justice save what the local hard man decides suits him. Its different but is it better. It seems to me that one set of overlords have been traded for another much more cruel a capricious mob.

90% of that post has no basis in reality.
    It's full of perceptions and myths about the north. You should go and visit it sometime.

Wow. Something something something to do with current members of SF being heavily involved in the IRA , one of them even pretending that he wasn’t in it ...

Prove it then. Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

Maybe head up north and visit these places where you think working class estates are controlled by thugs. I'm from North Belfast and currently live in Dublin. Violence, gun crime and drugs is far more of a problem in Dublin than I've ever seen in Belfast.

There is a serious anti-northern agenda on this forum that I really can't comprehend. Where are all you people in real life? I've yet to meet one. Where does this hatred of northern nationalists stem from? I have very rarely seen it reciprocated.

You'd think that people like yourself might actually ask themselves why something is happening, or has happened a different way in the 6 counties rather than the 26. For example, not having an impartial police force for around 80 years allowed a certain sect of society to become 'self policing'. It is no shock that 'self-policing' over the years has turned into vigilantism, barbaric punishment beatings and kangaroo courts. Obviously, that is very wrong, but everyone can see the journey.

People like you using it as a stick to beat northern nationalists does not compute in my brain. Why use something that was essentially forced on your fellow countrymen (after you had got the f**k out of dodge) to batter them? Part of me thinks it's just to have something to complain about.

Can't you just accept that the vast majority of people north and south want to live together in peace and harmony with each other? Shouting that your estates are worse than my estates is immature and uninformed.

• Advertisement

The_Fitz wrote: »
    Maybe head up north and visit these places where you think working class estates are controlled by thugs. I'm from North Belfast and currently live in Dublin. Violence, gun crime and drugs is far more of a problem in Dublin than I've ever seen in Belfast.

There is a serious anti-northern agenda on this forum that I really can't comprehend. Where are all you people in real life? I've yet to meet one. Where does this hatred of northern nationalists stem from? I have very rarely seen it reciprocated.

You'd think that people like yourself might actually ask themselves why something is happening, or has happened a different way in the 6 counties rather than the 26. For example, not having an impartial police force for around 80 years allowed a certain sect of society to become 'self policing'. It is no shock that 'self-policing' over the years has turned into vigilantism, barbaric punishment beatings and kangaroo courts. Obviously, that is very wrong, but everyone can see the journey.

People like you using it as a stick to beat northern nationalists does not compute in my brain. Why use something that was essentially forced on your fellow countrymen (after you had got the f**k out of dodge) to batter them? Part of me thinks it's just to have something to complain about.

Can't you just accept that the vast majority of people north and south want to live together in peace and harmony with each other? Shouting that your estates are worse than my estates is immature and uninformed.

I think it's part of the inferiority complex left behind by colonialism.
    A deep inherited sense that there is a superior race on the other island (this is expressed in so many ways by a subset here) and the suspicsion that 'we' were wrong to stand up to them.
    Having to admit that a superior race actually had size 14 feet of clay is not easy and it is easier all around to blame the oppressed, that has happened in many more places than here.
    They resent that population finding a voice and of course, most vehemently those who speak for them.

Myths are invented as cover and Truthvaders post is full to the brim of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Have you proof he is pretending?

I recognise the name, you post on teh board mate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

A deep inherited sense that there is a superior race on the other island (this is expressed in so many ways by a subset here) and the suspicsion that 'we' were wrong to stand up to them.
    Having to admit that a superior race actually had size 14 feet of clay is not easy and it is easier all around to blame the oppressed, that has happened in many more places than here.
    They resent that population finding a voice and of course, most vehemently those who speak for them.

Simply asked the question. You all think everything is much better and seem to know what you are talking about. So I am wrong and that's the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

True. Why dont we forget all about the IRA sectarian slaughter campaign and instead concentrate on those nasty British and Loyalist gunmen?

Edgware wrote: »
    True. Why dont we forget all about the IRA sectarian slaughter campaign and instead concentrate on those nasty British and Loyalist gunmen?

It's not hard to forget something that never happened.
    The conflict/war was tragic and awful and should never have happened, there is no need to invent stuff to make it more tragic and awful.

Wow, just wow.

What the British do and don't do has little concern for me and many others down South. We have no inferiority complex because the British don't enter our thoughts much, if at all, other than when we are forced to listen to republican whinges. That is where we see the inferiority complex. Look at the likes of Sinn Fein up north, afraid to take their seats in Westminister, afraid to go into Stormont for years, afraid to take hard decisions on social welfare so pass the buck to Westminister. If ever you could see a definition of an inferiority complex, that is it.

Standing up to someone is only necessary if you have an inferiority complex. Those of us who are not bothered by the British or not interested in them because we are focussed on ourselves and on our own country have no inferiority complex. We get on with what we are doing, and the British can do what they like.

Look again at those who get themselves up in a twist about a march with flags and bands. Seriously? Down here, we can't be bothered with such trivia, because we don't have an inferiority complex about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Myths are invented as cover

Myths are invented alright, and I am sure its not these phantom people who 'hate Ireland' or West-Brits or whomever you want to call them.

The biggest myth makers going at the moment belong to SF and the narrative about the Provo's fighting, killing and murdering to bring about 'peace' and 'civil-rights' on the island of Ireland when its a historical fact that they were fighting for no such thing when the conflict kicked off in earnest.

Wow, just wow.

What the British do and don't do has little concern for me and many others down South. We have no inferiority complex because the British don't enter our thoughts much, if at all, other than when we are forced to listen to republican whinges. That is where we see the inferiority complex. Look at the likes of Sinn Fein up north, afraid to take their seats in Westminister, afraid to go into Stormont for years, afraid to take hard decisions on social welfare so pass the buck to Westminister. If ever you could see a definition of an inferiority complex, that is it.

Standing up to someone is only necessary if you have an inferiority complex. Those of us who are not bothered by the British or not interested in them because we are focussed on ourselves and on our own country have no inferiority complex. We get on with what we are doing, and the British can do what they like.

Look again at those who get themselves up in a twist about a march with flags and bands. Seriously? Down here, we can't be bothered with such trivia, because we don't have an inferiority complex about it.

You are exactly the type i was talking about.
    The Dublin GAA fan with an across the site hate of the Irish Language and any action taken to save and promote it.
    The poster who will defend what the British did here by demeaning every action the Irish took to stand up to them, even after the GFA.
    No surprise that a decades long principled stand, not to interfere in the running of other countries, perfectly in line with believing the British presence here is illegitimate, as 'fear'.

If the cap fits wear it.

markodaly wrote: »
    Myths are invented alright, and I am sure its not these phantom people who 'hate Ireland' or West-Brits or whomever you want to call them.

The biggest myth makers going at the moment belong to SF and the narrative about the Provo's fighting, killing and murdering to bring about 'peace' and 'civil-rights' on the island of Ireland when its a historical fact that they were fighting for no such thing when the conflict kicked off in earnest.

Truthvader has admitted he was wrong after being called out on the mythmaking he was engaging in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Imagine the Irish Independent running a big interview with with Leo, for first 3000 words barely mention anything other than the homeless and have a headline
    Fine Gael, The 10,000 Homeless and Me

Thats what they done to Mary Lou on Sunday.

You are exactly the type i was talking about.
    The Dublin GAA fan with an across the site hate of the Irish Language and any action taken to save and promote it.
    The poster who will defend what the British did here by demeaning every action the Irish took to stand up to them, even after the GFA.
    No surprise that a decades long principled stand, not to interfere in the running of other countries, perfectly in line with believing the British presence here is illegitimate, as 'fear'.

If the cap fits wear it.

I don't have an obsession with the British, only ever talk about them on here, when engaging with deluded posts whinging about them. They don't enter my thoughts in everyday life.

Not a single iota of an inferiority complex, no resentment of them, nothing, nada, you need to look in the mirror more closely to see the type of people who have an inferiority complex, afraid of Westminister, worried about a few flags and marches. To be fair, Northern nationalists (and those like you who support them) do share an inferiority complex nature with unionists who need those trappings. It is salutary that the issue that has most divided Northern politics for the last half-decade is an Irish Language Act, clearly outlining the various inferiority complexes at play among the two sets of politicians.

People dying in the streets from homelessness in the North, nurses going without a pay-cut, handing over responsibility for social welfare to Westminister, all because of an inferiority complex about the other side and about the two external players, Ireland and Great Britain.

Wow, just wow.

Have you ever actually been up north ? For the record i am Dublin born and bred. My Father is from Belfast.

I spent a lot of my young years up there. So different to growing up in my working class estate.
    Because we weren't being harassed by armed men for the crime of playing football.

Have you ever actually been up north ? For the record i am Dublin born and bred. My Father is from Belfast.

I spent a lot of my young years up there. So different to growing up in my working class estate.
    Because we weren't being harassed by armed men for the crime of playing football.

I have spent a lot of time in the North, both for work and for pleasure.

I lived through the IRA terrorist campaign, experienced the effects of it on my life in many ways.

I don't have an obsession with the British, only ever talk about them on here, when engaging with deluded posts whinging about them. They don't enter my thoughts in everyday life.

Not a single iota of an inferiority complex, no resentment of them, nothing, nada, you need to look in the mirror more closely to see the type of people who have an inferiority complex, afraid of Westminister, worried about a few flags and marches. To be fair, Northern nationalists (and those like you who support them) do share an inferiority complex nature with unionists who need those trappings. It is salutary that the issue that has most divided Northern politics for the last half-decade is an Irish Language Act, clearly outlining the various inferiority complexes at play among the two sets of politicians.

People dying in the streets from homelessness in the North, nurses going without a pay-cut, handing over responsibility for social welfare to Westminister, all because of an inferiority complex about the other side and about the two external players, Ireland and Great Britain.

Inferiority complexes are not best observed by those suffering from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Truthvader has admitted he was wrong after being called out on the mythmaking he was engaging in.

Lets not overstate it. I am willing to accept that in general things are better in the North now than in 1969 because many of you live there or have family there and tell me so - and I am wiling to accept that.

Its anothers days work as to whether Sinn Fein / IRA were necessary to that progress or whether they in fact impeded it and delayed it to promote their own interests only agreeing to stop when they divided power with Paisley.

To be clear my own position is that Adams is a dangerous, treacherous, twisted sociopath and I expect that at some stage he will be revealed as such. No-one will be more disappointed than his own

Lets not overstate it. I am willing to accept that in general things are better in the North now than in 1969 because many of you live there or have family there and tell me so - and I am wiling to accept that.

Its anothers days work as to whether Sinn Fein / IRA were necessary to that progress or whether they in fact impeded it and delayed it to promote their own interests only agreeing to stop when they divided power with Paisley.

To be clear my own position is that Adams is a dangerous, treacherous, twisted sociopath and I expect that at some stage he will be revealed as such. No-one will be more disappointed than his own

The fact some of you have to get over (wishful thinking of course) is that whether it helped or not, it is over and what now challenges us is making sure it never happens again.
    And part of your duty there is to properly identify who was ultimately responsible for it starting in the first place.
    There is a chain of responsibility/blame and it always, whether it be the conflict/war, Brexit or Covid-19 always leads back to the anomaly of partition and the sustaining of that partition.

Of course those Irish suffering from the inferiority complex will always be loudest trying to prevent blame being properly apportioned because of where it leads.
    That is not to try and absolve the IRA or SF from their share.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It probably appears that way because in the North they have great big "peace" murals all over the estates to remind everyone who is in charge and that the residents better keep their mouths shut about any knee-cappings, beatings, shootings etc.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It probably appears that way because in the North they have great big "peace" murals all over the estates to remind everyone who is in charge and that the residents better keep their mouths shut about any knee-cappings, beatings, shootings etc.

More self serving mythmaking. Have a look at who is painting these new murals.

Give us a list of all these estates you are familiar with? Let's see the extent of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Again, uninformed rubbish with absolutely no substance to back it up.

Who is it that you actually think runs these estates? SF certainly don't. Dissident Republicans don't. These estates run themselves, and while of course every group has it's say, nobody is running around petrified.

Estates like these exist in every city across the world. The only difference in the 6 counties is that there is a spotlight on them due to slowly moving out of a post-conflict society.

Nobody is saying it's a utopia, but I would rather you found another angle to bash the northern nationalists from.

Advertisement