Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Independent - Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I think it's part of the inferiority complex left behind by colonialism.
    A deep inherited sense that there is a superior race on the other island (this is expressed in so many ways by a subset here) and the suspicsion that 'we' were wrong to stand up to them.
    Having to admit that a superior race actually had size 14 feet of clay is not easy and it is easier all around to blame the oppressed, that has happened in many more places than here.
    They resent that population finding a voice and of course, most vehemently those who speak for them.

Can't tell if this is serious or not. Bizarre...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

blanch152 wrote: »
    Wow, just wow.

What the British do and don't do has little concern for me and many others down South. We have no inferiority complex because the British don't enter our thoughts much, if at all, other than when we are forced to listen to republican whinges. That is where we see the inferiority complex. Look at the likes of Sinn Fein up north, afraid to take their seats in Westminister, afraid to go into Stormont for years, afraid to take hard decisions on social welfare so pass the buck to Westminister. If ever you could see a definition of an inferiority complex, that is it.

Standing up to someone is only necessary if you have an inferiority complex. Those of us who are not bothered by the British or not interested in them because we are focussed on ourselves and on our own country have no inferiority complex. We get on with what we are doing, and the British can do what they like.

Look again at those who get themselves up in a twist about a march with flags and bands. Seriously? Down here, we can't be bothered with such trivia, because we don't have an inferiority complex about it.

Now, I know you seem like a wind up merchant, but that statement in bold is phenomenal. Hats off.

Now whether or not the majority of people who vote SF think they should take their seats in the British parliament or not, I think it's disingenuous to say that they are afraid to. I believe the SF MPs would love to attend, imagine the ructions it would cause. They could follow in the IPP's footsteps in Westminster and bore their fellow MPs into submission with long winded rants about nothing. That's a debate for another time.

I don't believe that there is an inferiority complex in the south at all, but as you said yourself, being totally nonplussed by the British and their actions (either in the north, or elsewhere) is a tact I have only came across on this forum. Obviously, you can do what you like but ultimately a time may come in the future when you might have to live with the Irish and British in the north in the one state. Would it not be better to work out how we could improve things, rather than lambasting the people who are trying to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

More self serving mythmaking. Have a look at who is painting these new murals.

Give us a list of all these estates you are familiar with? Let's see the extent of the problem.

Q: Why do people need to paint large murals about their community?

A: Because they have a deep insecurity complex about their identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,466 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is that like sticking your tongue out and calling me a name back?

Murals are about confidence more than insecurity. They used to project identity and what side that community was on very stridently.

Not one of the people who wield those paintbrushes would perpetually run down their fellow community members and always, always be on the opposite side while claiming that was a 'co-incidence'.

Or maybe because they want to brighten up a deprived area that otherwise looks grim?

And I'm talking about murals that don't have gun toting fellas on them.

There's murals where I live in Dublin, should they be removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The_Fitz wrote: »
    Who is it that you actually think runs these estates? SF certainly don't. Dissident Republicans don't. These estates run themselves, and while of course every group has it's say, nobody is running around petrified.

Estates like these exist in every city across the world. The only difference in the 6 counties is that there is a spotlight on them due to slowly moving out of a post-conflict society.

I think its pretty clear to everyone that Sinn Fein can't run anything so no I don't believe they run these estates. I believe that these estates are run by murdering, terrorist arseholes. In some places they're nationalists and others they're loyalists but they're all murderers, terrorists and arseholes. And Mary Lou thinks that the "nationalist" ones are great bunch of guys.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I think its pretty clear to everyone that Sinn Fein can't run anything so no I don't believe they run these estates. I believe that these estates are run by murdering, terrorist arseholes. In some places they're nationalists and others they're loyalists but they're all murderers, terrorists and arseholes. And Mary Lou thinks that the "nationalist" ones are great bunch of guys.

Name these 'estates'...how many of them do you know of.

Nothing wrong with a nice mural however the ones I saw in Belfast tended to focus a lot on blokes in balaclavas and camo gear pointing guns. But that wasn't insecurity. That was cultural identity :D

:D

Where's your evidence to back that up? Except whatever Sunday rag you get your info from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It probably appears that way because in the North they have great big "peace" murals all over the estates to remind everyone who is in charge and that the residents better keep their mouths shut about any knee-cappings, beatings, shootings etc.

Absolutely 150% unsubstantiated guff. You clearly have no clue about the stuff you're posting.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    Absolutely 150% unsubstantiated guff. You clearly have no clue about the stuff you're posting.

It's like these guys are posting from the 70's-80's or got their knowledge from films. :)
    At least Truthvader was man/woman enough to say they were wrong.

:D

Where's your evidence to back that up? Except whatever Sunday rag you get your info from.

I'm just going by what I saw. On one of my visits to Belfast I did a tour of a bunch of estates that had these murals. It made it pretty clear who ran those neighbourhoods. Kind of like some of the crappy neighbourhoods and towns back home, the graffiti made it very clear that you were in gang territory. Now maybe it was all just a cunning plan to generate tourist dollars by having people pay to be driven round to see these murals.

As for my comment about MLM supporting the IRA... she is the head of SF who are the political arm of those murdering, terrorist arseholes.

I'm just going by what I saw. On one of my visits to Belfast I did a tour of a bunch of estates that had these murals. It made it pretty clear who ran those neighbourhoods. Kind of like some of the crappy neighbourhoods and towns back home, the graffiti made it very clear that you were in gang territory. Now maybe it was all just a cunning plan to generate tourist dollars by having people pay to be driven round to see these murals.

As for my comment about MLM supporting the IRA... she is the head of SF who are the political arm of those murdering, terrorist arseholes.

Nobody is questioning whether MLM would have supported them or not. I'd say that's fairly obvious.

You need to get out a bit more mucker, and see the real side of Belfast. Heading up the Kingspan, and getting a black taxi tour or whatever won't give you the real feeling of Belfast. Not knocking the tours, as I'm sure they can be quirky and fun, and people who enjoy understanding how a society can come out of conflict can find them entertaining. Although there does seem to be a lot of grief tourists in Belfast.

I can say now, that nobody runs these estates bar the residents. Whether they be members of SF, SDLP, the church, GAA, Credit Unions or whoever. Old provies have no say, extreme fellas who like to make a name for themselves by shooting the odd person have no say. Drive around these estates on a Friday night and they might be comparable to similar estates in Dublin. They'll get to be as bad someday, as that's the way that society moved.

Belfast isn't looking for you to approve of it, but opening your eyes to somewhere on the island that has gone through (some) different obstacles over the past century could be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Quotations

There is a serious anti-northern agenda on this forum that I really can't comprehend. Where are all you people in real life? I've yet to meet one. Where does this hatred of northern nationalists stem from? I have very rarely seen it reciprocated.

You'd think that people like yourself might actually ask themselves why something is happening, or has happened a different way in the 6 counties rather than the 26. For example, not having an impartial police force for around 80 years allowed a certain sect of society to become 'self policing'. It is no shock that 'self-policing' over the years has turned into vigilantism, barbaric punishment beatings and kangaroo courts. Obviously, that is very wrong, but everyone can see the journey.

People like you using it as a stick to beat northern nationalists does not compute in my brain. Why use something that was essentially forced on your fellow countrymen (after you had got the f**k out of dodge) to batter them? Part of me thinks it's just to have something to complain about.

Just because this domain says .ie does not mean posters here are actually Irish or located in Ireland. The anti-Irish nonsense the same posters engage in time and again on here and other platforms usually arrives from abroad or via the 77th brigade. Don't buy into it, the election results and real life conversations reflect the reality of the situation.

Apologists for British state terrorism will always blame the victims of their violence, whether its the native Americans, Asians, the aborigines, African slaves, the Irish or even the English, Scottish, Welsh themselves. The British 'state' can do no wrong........

Edgware wrote: »
    Why dont we forget all about the IRA sectarian slaughter campaign

Will you chaps make up your minds and settle on a coherent line of slander please?

One minute the IRA has killed more Catholics than the the RUC, MI5, UDA etc combined, the next minute they're a 'sEcTariAn slUAghTer' outfit.

Which is it? Was the sectarian campaign against Catholics?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

markodaly wrote: »
    Nothing to do with America but then goes off on a rant about American 'war crimes'.... :P:P

Oh please do.

Oh not at all, its just a trope thrown at people at the end of the day. You may as well equate Connoly being responsible for Holodomor.

I am not fan of the power wielded by the RCC but your use of language in this instance is over done. Kidnapping, slavery.... hmmm

Nuns didn't go around the place in vans, with butterfly nets kidnapping babies or women. I think we all know that. What happened was much deeper and complex than that.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/magdalene-laundry-victims-focus-on-state-liability-453980.html
    The report points out that the common law crimes of false imprisonment, kidnapping, assault, and/or battery outlawed much of the treatment experienced by girls and women in Magdalene laundries, and that there is credible evidence of systematic torture or ill-treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

LuasSimon wrote:
    clearly the new editor Alan English has a more inclusive philosophy that previous editors .
    the phrase give someone enough rope and they'll hang themselves comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's not hard to forget something that never happened.
    The conflict/war was tragic and awful and should never have happened, there is no need to invent stuff to make it more tragic and awful.
    Planting bombs in Birmingham, Woolwich, Shankill rd butcher shop, Abercorn restaurant where civilians gathered could only lead to slaughter.
    Planting a bomb in Enniskillen where people of one religion would predominantly gather,
    Selecting Protestants for murder at Kingsmill, Darkley was sectarian. Don't call it anything else

Quotations wrote: »
    Will you chaps make up your minds and settle on a coherent line of slander please?

One minute the IRA has killed more Catholics than the the RUC, MI5, UDA etc combined, the next minute they're a 'sEcTariAn slUAghTer' outfit.

Which is it? Was the sectarian campaign against Catholics?
    They were able to manage both.The Abercorn was owned by a Catholic

Edgware wrote: »
    They were able to manage both.The Abercorn was owned by a Catholic

They can't 'manage both'. That's the point. They were either one or the other. Do you understand basic logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I have spent a lot of time in the North, both for work and for pleasure.

I lived through the IRA terrorist campaign, experienced the effects of it on my life in many ways.

How ?. You ever had a machine gun pointed at you as a kid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I lived through the IRA terrorist campaign, experienced the effects of it on my life in many ways.

You should write a book about your experience.

How does it relate to sub par journalism, nepotism and repetition, all of which have taken over the Sindo for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blanch152 wrote:

You have spent a lot of time in the north? You lived through the conflict?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

really, that was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Sunday Independent - Sinn Fein

The Sunday independent for decades has vilified Sinn Fein and anyone remotely sympathetic to the nationalist people of the 6 counties ...

OMG yet another Sinn Fein thread :cool:

The Sunday Independent has indeed for decades drawn attention to Sinn Feins inability to condemn violent Irish Republicanism, and for that we can all be grateful to them for highlighting the currupt and cult like nature of Sinn Fein.

It's also very important to note that The Sunday Independent does not "vilify anyone remotely sympathetic to the nationalist people of the 6 counties", this is a total lie. The paper concentrates on condemning violence, corruption & terrorism.

Criminality & Terrorism should not be tolerated in Irish society. Sinn Fein people shouting "Up the Ra" and Tiocfaidh ár lá is not acceptable in the modern Ireland.

Quotations wrote: »
    They can't 'manage both'. That's the point. They were either one or the other. Do you understand basic logic.

Yes I do. But when you have to bull **** the useful idiots that you send to their deaths or long prison sentences you can manage the two faced approach

The Sunday Independent has indeed for decades drawn attention to Sinn Feins inability to condemn violent Irish Republicanism, and for that we can all be grateful to them for highlighting the currupt and cult like nature of Sinn Fein.

It's also very important to note that The Sunday Independent does not "vilify anyone remotely sympathetic to the nationalist people of the 6 counties", this is a total lie. The paper concentrates on condemning violence, corruption & terrorism.

Criminality & Terrorism should not be tolerated in Irish society. Sinn Fein people shouting "Up the Ra" and Tiocfaidh ár lá is not acceptable in the modern Ireland.
    How did they do on exposing Charlie Haughey or the Church...when apparently the dogs in the street knew what was going on?

How did they do on exposing Charlie Haughey or the Church...when apparently the dogs in the street knew what was going on?

As a newcomer to (voting for) Sinn Fein are you not thankful to the Sunday Times for exposing SF for what it is?

Surely you don't want to be voting for a party with a blood stained (recent) history like theirs.

As a newcomer to Sinn Fein are you not thankful to the Sunday Times for exposing SF for what it is?

Surely you don't want to be voting for a party with a blood stained history like theirs.

Why would it bother me when I previously voted for FG FF Labour etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Tiocfaidh ar lá refers to getting a United Ireland so it should be very acceptable in modern Ireland

• Advertisement

Tiocfaidh ar lá refers to getting a United Ireland so it should be very acceptable in modern Ireland

Ha ha, well I don't know how old you are, but that phrase has been used by the Provos many times, usually after their latest atrocity, hence that phrase has seriously bad memories for many Irish people.

Mary Lou said it not so long ago and was attacked from all sides. You should know this.

Advertisement