Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Independent - Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Danzy wrote: »
    And the public largely don't care.

SF voters don't care. The rest of the public do care. Get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I like my news to report only fact I dont know. No time whatsoever to read opinion pieces of journalists with little to no life experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Meanwhile in the real world,rents are sprilling out of control and people are sleeping on our streets in record numbers,families raised in hotels,large % population earn below living wage

...our political elites laugh and sneer at anyone who raises issue with this

But yeah,lets talk about an organisation that stopped killing people quarter of a century ago and not the glaring social issues facing the state....

Insert>>>slow clap

Oh sorry you want to talk politics. How about this

1) The homeless crisis in the North is far worse than ours when adjusted for population.

2) Levels of unemployment, suicides, people.living is poverty is far worse north of the boarder.

3) SF gave Westminster the power to cut welfare back in 2015

4) Wages are far higher down here. This can be seen by the hundreds of Northern registered vans that travel down everyday.

So there's SFs record in government.

As for their manifesto for the last election. They promised to raise the Vacent site levey. They proposed doubling this to bring in 100 Million. It currently brings in about one million so

1000000 X 2 = 100M

Now it's no wonder their supporters think that 24% is a majority.

They also want to bring in a living wage yet they have no plan to manage the inflation or price hikes which will follow. So yes you may get your 14 quid an hour but silced pan will cost 4 Euro.

They also wanted to ban evictions. Sure that's great why bother paying a mortgage or rent for that matter..... That will also lead to landlords leaving the market and creating a massive lack in supply..... a even bigger rental crisis.

As for going to collage and getting a good job.. Well forget about it. Sure to fund the 250 quid a week basic jobseekers they want to introduce if you earn good money you will be taxed more to provide to those who can't be arsed...

As for foreign policy..... They support the ANC in South Africa a party who since Mandela passed away have become bloodthirsty for revenge. While wreaking the SA Economy.

Then we have Venezuela. Supporting a regime that has people eating rats to survive while the Daughter of the Revolution, Chavez's Daughter is one of the richest people on the planet ?

Then we have the EU. SF have opposed every single EU treaty. Every single EU mechanism (well except those which throw money into republican areas in the North) so much so Farage used a Marylou speech during the Brexit Campaign. Yet once the DUP supported Brexit SF had to change their stance.

Least we not forget the Friends of SF branch in the States. Made up of some of the worst members of Congress. Yet the SF begging bowl comes out every year and they have been known to hide things when some.of these "Friends" come to visit. They removed all mentions of Che Guevara from the shop when a well know Republican member of NORAID came to visit.

It's not just he troubles. There's a long list of reasons why SF should not be trusted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Edgware wrote: »
    Typical Shinner response. No ones opinion matters but theirs.

Same attitude that had them demanding to be let go into government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Hugh O'Connell is better known for his strong bias than the quality of his journalism, so I'm not too hopeful about the article.

His interview with Charlie McCreevy in the Sunday Business Post a few years ago was the cringiest puff piece I ever saw in that paper, which usually kept a higher standard. The Sindo's a better home for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Which says a lot about them. This is the current SF membership applauding Garda killers, not something that happened 25 years ago.

My local SF TD started a relationship with one of those men after he went to prison, married him in prison and conceived a child in a broom closet in Castlerea. It hardly indicates good judgement there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Sinn Fein get about 25% of the vote these days. In the last election that was with an economy humming at full employment (pre covid) the main issue being that there was so much money swilling about that house prices were driven up. So thats every fourth person you meet either doesn't care what they have done and continue to do or are too thick to know what they are. They want a cheaper house or whatever and will vote for them. Wait until post covid when unemployment is at 20% and see what the proud Irish nation are capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Honestly?

Maybe not as little as I imagine or as much as you imagine.

It's not going to prevent them from being a top 2 party after the next election.

FF look the most vulnerable in the long run and may just be consumed by FG.

That's a view widely held by FG and FF strategists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

This paper and some of the views here all came about as a result of a fudged treaty signed by Michael. Collins and co.
    We should have had a United ireland or else all remain part of the United Kingdom . How did we ever expect the people of Tyrone or Armagh etc put up with British and loyalist rule when those of us in Dublin , Cork etc fought the British when we were under their thumb. A partitioned island is one of the most fcuked up set ups ever created and I’m only surprised more haven’t died over it .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The young people will vote for any party offering them a free gaf.
    Maybe if the parties running the show even remotely prioritised housing we would take them seriously. The last four decades have seen inflation of the value of housing increase tenfold and no reflection of that in salaries. Most young people can't even begin to dream of home ownership and rents are extortionate, usually half the paltry annual salary.

You can scoff at SF but if they're the only alternative to the other sociopaths then I'll take those who are f*ckin up the system for the current controlling body every time. It will probably be the usual, once they're in power nothing changes but the problem isn't with young people then, it's with democracy and capitalism.

As for the Independent, what's the point in paying for content when all the journos are up on twitter having a screaming competition the whole time.

Ah no in fairness I have a sub for the Irish Times and local papers.

All Irish news is startlingly pro-government most of the time, always stamping down alternatives the the status quo, rightly or wrongly. It would be great if instead of a corrupt, competitive system where those involved are always trying to get one over on each other or spin something, there was a foundation of people genuinely wanting to develop and improve things for future generations.

No wonder so many people kill themselves these days, the world is woeful and Ireland is more f*cked than ever and it is mandatory to opt in to the system to survive through employment, taxation and voting. But the odds are always stacked in favour of the winners and all the rest get to eat sh!t.

But anyway I want a free house.

• Advertisement

LuasSimon wrote: »
    This paper and some of the views here all came about as a result of a fudged treaty signed by Michael. Collins and co.
    We should have had a United ireland or else all remain part of the United Kingdom . How did we ever expect the people of Tyrone or Armagh etc put up with British and loyalist rule when those of us in Dublin , Cork etc fought the British when we were under their thumb. A partitioned island is one of the most fcuked up set ups ever created and I’m only surprised more haven’t died over it .

Oh deary me. Get a girlfriend a boyfriend or a job. Write a book, go for a walk and thank all creation that you live in a free society where you can be what you want to be and have a reliable independent police force and judiciary. You can even vote for Sinn Fein or Gemma O'Doherty

But do not waste your gifts digging up the lifeless corpse of the dead who have nothing to offer and nothing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Typical Shinner response. No ones opinion matters but theirs.

I'm pointing out Hugh is biased. You disagree he's biased?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

piplip87 wrote: »
    The Independent is against SF because members of SF have participated in the slaughter of innocent people on this island and in the UK.

They then try to justify it by saying because people were denied civil rights it entitles them to slaughter innocent people.

Nothing justifies killing innocent people. The Irish media have every right to to keep bringing this up until every last Provo is rotting in hell with that Terrorist Sands....

Once SF stop running candidates who were Terrorists and tried to overthrow the state then they can be treated like other parties.

Strange.

Have never seen the Indo hold FF/FG/Lab/PDs/Greens to account for American forces using Ireland as military base for their terrorism.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Strange.

Have never seen the Indo hold FF/FG/Lab/PDs/Greens to account for American forces using Ireland as military base for their terrorism.

Dont think the Americans bombed anywhere here or murdered our citizens or Guards

Truthvader wrote: »
    Dont think the Americans bombed anywhere here or murdered our citizens or Guards

Indeed,they done.things many many multiples worse

But much like the ira,noone really cares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Strange.

Not sure how you can make the comparison? did they drop a few bombs over Ireland as they left?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭touts

The young people will vote for any party offering them a free gaf.

What will the young people think when we tell them that SF members stood and applauded a man known to have murdered a Guard?

A better question will be what will young people think when they discover the house might be free because someone else paid for it but they will be paying 80% tax because they are the "someone else"

The Sindo isnt biased against Sinn Fein. They are one of the few not afraid to speak the truth about Sinn Fein. Even when doing so could result in a bomb under your car they still spoke the truth about Sinn Fein. Now that Sinn Fein fight their war with lies (e.g. the majority want us to rule when 74% voted against them) and empty Marxist promises (you can have everything you want for free) the Sindo are one of the few still standing up and calling them out even though history has shown that Marxist parties who come to power are not kind to media and journalists who opposed them in their rise to power.

The Sindo and their journalists should be commended for standing up for freedom and democracy in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

The Sindo and Indo used to be decent. But when Denis O Brien defeated Tony O Reilly to the ownership of Independent news and media that was the ultimate death nail for them.

Incredibly biased towards FG. When's the last time any of their journalists openly criticised failed FG policies. A very long time I'd guess. The last GE really drew a raw nerve. In particular their nasty politically motivated coverage where they deliberately targeted FF 're votegate was of particular concern for those who continue to support and encourage unbiased and independent media without political and vested interests interference and infleunce.

The Indo had the audacity to criticise nurses when they went on strike to seek deserved better pay and conditions back in early 2019. I haven't brought the paper or the sindo for that matter since this unprovoked attack on those who continue to save lives even in appalling working conditions.

As for Sinn Fein I can't understand how Mary Lou gave an interview with that right wing Sindo this morning. It did her and SF no favours whatsoever. Hugh O Connell should really be ashamed with himself with his unprofessional conduct I felt.

I can only imagine both papers quite literally licking their lips at a second ge in 2020. Another chance to promote the FG message as this "responsible and great party" while attacking the "reckless opposition".

Stay away from the Indo and Sindo axis. It's promotes rubbish tabloid clickbait but still holds huge sway despite this. Remember ff deputies Timmy Dooley and Lisa Chambers who were at the centre of the biased votegate controversy that the Indo tried to politicize to inflect maximum damage to Fg's opponents. Both Dooley and Chambers are no longer TD's.

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Not sure how you can make the comparison? did they drop a few bombs over Ireland as they left?

Yeah, bizarre comparison.

Those parties are complicit in killing far higher number of human beings.

Oh wait, we only care about Irish people now?

So IRA attacks that killed British civilians are fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

piplip87 wrote: »
    My local SF TD started a relationship with one of those men after he went to prison, married him in prison and conceived a child in a broom closet in Castlerea. It hardly indicates good judgement there
    And that really worked out well for her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

smurgen wrote: »
    I'm pointing out Hugh is biased. You disagree he's biased?
    Just because someone does not agree with SF policy doesnt mean they are biased. You are just too used to the propaganda pushed out by Falls Rd and Parnell Sq to be swallowed by the useful idiots

Just because someone does not agree with SF policy doesnt mean they are biased. You are just too used to the propaganda pushed out by Falls Rd and Parnell Sq to be swallowed by the useful idiots

Tbf anyone,who thinks indo coverage of SF is balanced,wants their head examined

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The IRA didn't develop out of a vacuum. Telling one side of the conflict and mentioning one side in the manner in which the Indo does is absolutely sickening. The weaponisation of victims is equally as sickening. They were wheeled out big time during the election only to be dropped again. Also I've noticed that victims of loyalist terrorism aren't given the same voice or used in the same manner. Mental behaviour.

The IRA didn't develop out of a vacuum. Telling one side of the conflict and mentioning one side in the manner in which the Indo does is absolutely sickening. The weaponisation of victims is equally as sickening. They were wheeled out big time during the election only to be dropped again. Also I've noticed that victims of loyalist terrorism aren't given the same voice or used in the same manner. Mental behaviour.

Errrrrr.... No loyalist party has 25% of the vote here. Same thug element as Sinn Fein though; gestated on entitlement and vindictive tribal hatred

Truthvader wrote: »
    Errrrrr.... No loyalist party has 25% of the vote here. Same thug element as Sinn Fein though; gestated on entitlement and vindictive tribal hatred

The DUP though thrive on their support of Loyalist violence and that of the Crown Forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

On the money smurgen. It was deeply disturbing to see the indo resort to such tactics to influence the outcome of the general election. They used victims of IRA violence as some kind of pawns so to benefit FG and attack Sinn Fein.

I wonder did FG insiders at the very least had some knowledge of what the Indo/Sindo axis were concucting up.

For those promoting the Indo's anti SF agenda and anti left in general, please remember that they never hold the likes of failed ministers to account like Eoghan Murphy in housing, Michael Creed in not supporting the farmers and agriculture in general, Joe McHugh with his lack of compassion with Leaving cert students and education. And don't get me started on the Indo/Sindo axis indulgence of Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The young people of this country are voting Sinn Fein in huge numbers and many of them are sympathetic to the nationalists in Northern Ireland and their plight at the hands of loyalists and British army, weather we like it or not .

I would disagree with the highlighted part. Most of those new SF voters did not vote for SF because of NI. As the election was cleverly fought by SF on the populist promises of housing in particular. As Mary Lou herself pointed out during numerous interviews during the elections she distanced SF of the ROI, from SF of NI. Another smart political move. As it made SF's record in Stormont and NI seem unimportant and many of the 'unanswered questions' irrelevant. Distant to the young working class ROI voters.

The main mention of NI from SF and Mary Lou came after the election and the border poll and so on.

As for your point about Mary Lou giving an interview to the Indo. There is no doubt that Harris showed an extreme bias against SF. But I would not be jumping up and down about how Mary Lou now has an interview because of a new editor.
    There are two main factors for this:

1) Mary Lou is only dying to keep herself relevant in light of how well the caretaker government is performing

2) The Indo are dying to fill space in the paper given there is very little happening in the world at the moment as a result of covid19

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What happened to gene Kerrigan on the back page disagreed with 90% of what he wrote but I looked forward to reading it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

What happened to gene Kerrigan on the back page disagreed with 90% of what he wrote but I looked forward to reading it anyway

He's still around.

Came out with some tinfoil hat ravings about members of the Cabinet "spying" on Mickey Dee in today's edition. Looks as though the poor dear has finally lost it.

• Advertisement

A lot of people voted for SF as they were pissed off with foreign vulture/cuckoo funds hoovering up housing. FG stood by and proclaimed their love of the so-called free market.

This wasn't the so-called "underclass" that many bigots like to portray SF voters as. This was hard working people who had been betrayed by their own government.

Add in Dara Murphy filling his boots with a spot of double jobbing that nobody cared about in FG, "Whiplash" Farrell and "Swinggate" Bailey trying it on, and FG were exposed for the hypocrites that they are.

And FF? Led by a man who helped destroy the country while keeping his teaching job open despite a six figure pension on standby.

The only shocking thing about the GE was those who can't believe others didn't vote as they "should have".

Advertisement