Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Worldwide Handicap System

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He mentioned one player who plays off a high 20. Has been given a much higher HI. He said a recent Stableford would have scored 60 points off this HI ;-)
    But you need to look at the underlying data to see if it's correct, if anything is missing or added in error. Most of the errors we've seen seem to relate to missing away scores. None so far that would make a significant change to HI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

prawnsambo wrote: »
    But you need to look at the underlying data to see if it's correct, if anything is missing or added in error. Most of the errors we've seen seem to relate to missing away scores. None so far that would make a significant change to HI.

Yeah, I don't have access to that.

I would expect all H/C Secs will be busy on the phone next week..

Apologies if answered already, couldn't find it:

How does a new member go about getting a handicap under the new system? Do they still need to submit 3 cards signed by a club member or has that process changed under this system?

Apologies if answered already, couldn't find it:

How does a new member go about getting a handicap under the new system? Do they still need to submit 3 cards signed by a club member or has that process changed under this system?

Yes, it's the same. Although I think it is a combination of 9 holes or 18 holes to a total of 54 holes.

Yes, it's the same. Although I think it is a combination of 9 holes or 18 holes to a total of 54 holes.
    You could do nine hole scores under CONGU too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I don't have access to that.

I would expect all H/C Secs will be busy on the phone next week..
    I'd say busy this week mostly :)

That's why they have advance access to the data. Any big data import like this is going to throw up a lot of errors. Committees would be mad to rely on members to check this stuff. Some will, but the majority will just shrug and ignore it.

I know the data provided to our Club was pretty bad from Golf Ireland. Competitions missing, wrong tees, No comps since start of October to name but a few things which have let to a lot of inaccurate data.

I think they are pretty lucky there will be no Club competitions for the next while to give Clubs a chance to get all of their issues resolved.

Seems like they have thrown a pile of rubbish at the Clubs for them to decipher and come back to them on. Not very professional.

Exactly wrote: »
    I know the data provided to our Club was pretty bad from Golf Ireland. Competitions missing, wrong tees, No comps since start of October to name but a few things which have let to a lot of inaccurate data.

I think they are pretty lucky there will be no Club competitions for the next while to give Clubs a chance to get all of their issues resolved.

Seems like they have thrown a pile of rubbish at the Clubs for them to decipher and come back to them on. Not very professional.
    Just a couple of points. The data isn't complete because at some point they have to stop import and open it up to the clubs. The last few competitions will be added easily. From what I hear, your experience seems to be an outlier. Mostly data is spot on, with a few errors (away competitions being the most common).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

Exactly wrote: »

Similar issues reported in the UK. Lot of reports of wrong tees. https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/...lations-209628

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭chalky_ie

I've tried looking for this online, and I've obviously seen and used the calculator posted in this thread, but is the actual formula for calculating the WHS handicap available to view anywhere? I mean literally what calculations you apply to the 8 scores that give you your final number, all I can see is the formula to calculate course handicap for a specific course, not how to actually determine your handicap index. It would be nice to be able to validate whatever your club tells you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

In relation to the new handicap index for the members, ESR's or general play adjustments are not factored so they all need to be amended as well.

No they don't as they do not form part of he WHS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

conor-w wrote: »
    I've tried looking for this online, and I've obviously seen and used the calculator posted in this thread, but is the actual formula for calculating the WHS handicap available to view anywhere? I mean literally what calculations you apply to the 8 scores that give you your final number, all I can see is the formula to calculate course handicap for a specific course, not how to actually determine your handicap index. It would be nice to be able to validate whatever your club tells you.

Score Differential Calculation = (113/Slope Rating) x (Adj. Gross Score – Course Rating)

Work that out for your top 8 and it's the average of them

newport2 wrote: »
    Score Differential Calculation = (113/Slope Rating) x (Adj. Gross Score – Course Rating)

Nice one, is adjusted gross score basically your gross score with anything higher than a net double adjusted to net double?

conor-w wrote: »
    Nice one, is adjusted gross score basically your gross score with anything higher than a net double adjusted to net double?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think there’s so much confusion and vagueness about this whole thing that simply waiting for this new portal and access to see what is there for you is the best bet.

Whether this is available next Monday or not remains to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

Here's a question.

I'm looking at the different course ratings from the different tees in Tramore. From the green tees, it's a par 72, course rating 70.5, slope rating 132. From the red tees it's a par 75, course rating 73.8, slope rating 132. The red tees are in front of the greens on every hole.

So I thought you no longer have ladies tees, but rather the course is rated in terms of difficulty from each tee for the scratch golfer and bogey golf. And my understanding of those figures is that the scratch golfer should go around in 70.5 shots from the green tees and 73.8 shots from the red tees. This obviously doesn't make sense.

Am I misunderstanding it? Or have they split ladies and mens tees and marked them differently?

It's the top 8 Score Differentials from the last 20 Score Differentials rather than pick your top 8 scores and get the average Score Differential.

It's a subtle difference but if you play on lots of different courses with varying slopes and course ratings it can be quite a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

blue note wrote: »
    Or have they split ladies and mens tees and marked them differently?

Yes, there are different ratings for men & ladies. Some tees may only be rated for one gender

Here's a question.

I'm looking at the different course ratings from the different tees in Tramore. From the green tees, it's a par 72, course rating 70.5, slope rating 132. From the red tees it's a par 75, course rating 73.8, slope rating 132. The red tees are in front of the greens on every hole.

So I thought you no longer have ladies tees, but rather the course is rated in terms of difficulty from each tee for the scratch golfer and bogey golf. And my understanding of those figures is that the scratch golfer should go around in 70.5 shots from the green tees and 73.8 shots from the red tees. This obviously doesn't make sense.

Am I misunderstanding it? Or have they split ladies and mens tees and marked them differently?

When I look up my home course on the R&A site, they have split the red tees into men's red, and women's red, even though obviously they have been exclusively women's tees up to this point. The par etc. are different for the 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

it has probably been covered already but how is ESR taken into account in the new system?
    Its an reduction to handicap that doesn't involve a round of golf

• Advertisement

Here's a question.

You'll see in the database an F or an M beside the ratings. I'll leave you to figure out what those letters stand for. ;)

Interesting factoid. We asked Golf Ireland if we could have our yellow tees rated for women as well. They were happy to oblige and had a visit arranged until the county lockdown arrived. So we'll have to wait. But I'm posting this because a lot of people don't know you can do this.

It's the top 8 Score Differentials from the last 20 Score Differentials rather than pick your top 8 scores and get the average Score Differential.

It's a subtle difference but if you play on lots of different courses with varying slopes and course ratings it can be quite a difference.

What i meant by your top 8 score differentials was your 8 lowest differentials

willabur wrote: »
    it has probably been covered already but how is ESR taken into account in the new system?
    Its an reduction to handicap that doesn't involve a round of golf
    Literally nine posts above yours. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Literally nine posts above yours. :rolleyes:

Thanks!!

82 pages - not going to scroll through it all

willabur wrote: »
    Thanks!!

82 pages - not going to scroll through it all
    It's only 31 if you set the post per page count to 40 in your preferences. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Got ours today, out of 410 members there were very few anomalies. Maybe about 20 members we need to address.

What I did notice is that for members where scores went back a few years due to low round numbers they didn’t factor in any of the annual review adjustments or general play adjustments.

J

Got ours today, out of 410 members there were very few anomalies. Maybe about 20 members we need to address.

What I did notice is that for members where scores went back a few years due to low round numbers they didn’t factor in any of the annual review adjustments or general play adjustments.

J
    Well that's by design I suppose.

We're finding members with a good few away scores with some of those away scores missing. The odd one or two home scores missing too, but the away ones are definitely a thing. A quick count of 2020 scores and comparison with what's on record usually shows these up. Internally, the system seems to work very well, but (as with all big data imports) there's always a few anomalies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Hi folks, I was made aware of my index from club. I was playing off 15.0. I was given 12.8. I have 14 scores in the system since September 2019, hence I believe they average my best four rounds. My best score differentials this year were 12, 14, 16 and 17. This would give me 14.75, and was pretty much were I expected to be. Am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Brewster wrote: »
    Hi folks, I was made aware of my index from club. I was playing off 15.0. I was given 12.8. I have 14 scores in the system since September 2019, hence I believe they average my best four rounds. My best score differentials this year were 12, 14, 16 and 17. This would give me 14.75, and was pretty much were I expected to be. Am I doing something wrong?

Handicap index isn't your playing handicap for the course, you need to calculate what your playing handicap will be.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Handicap index isn't your playing handicap for the course, you need to calculate what your playing handicap will be.

I didn’t think that was relevant to calculating initial index. My playing handicap will be higher, but not sure this is the issue. Every golfer in the club will be playing off a higher playing handicap. I believe index should be an average of my four best scores.

I didn’t think that was relevant to calculating initial index. My playing handicap will be higher, but not sure this is the issue. Every golfer in the club will be playing off a higher playing handicap. I believe index should be an average of my four best scores.
    Until you get to 15 rounds and it's the average of your best 5. Why did they give you 12.8 if your index works out at 14.75?

Until you get to 15 rounds and it's the average of your best 5. Why did they give you 12.8 if your index works out at 14.75?

Well this is exactly what I’m trying to understand. Has a mistake been made? I believe I should be 14.8 based on four best rounds. All my other rounds are much higher. I had an 84 and 86 gross this summer and got cut from 17 to 15, and was delighted with it. But struggling to understand where 12.8 has come from? I just wanted to get some opinion on here before engaging handicap sec.

As your differentials are whole numbers and not decimals, I'm guessing you mean what you were in relation to par. Use the below to calculate your differential for each round:

Well this is exactly what I’m trying to understand. Has a mistake been made? I believe I should be 14.8 based on four best rounds. All my other rounds are much higher. I had an 84 and 86 gross this summer and got cut from 17 to 15, and was delighted with it. But struggling to understand where 12.8 has come from? I just wanted to get some opinion on here before engaging handicap sec.
    Assuming you've calculated your SDs correctly. (It's AGS-CR*113/SR) then you should be on a HI of 14.75. But best check them to make sure.

As your differentials are whole numbers and not decimals, I'm guessing you mean what you were in relation to par. Use the below to calculate your differential for each round:

Yes, gross differentials based on par..so perhaps I have calculated it wrong?

• Advertisement

Yes, use the formula I posted above

Sounds like it. Say you have 30 points Stableford. Your CR is 71.7 and SR is 126 (par 72). So 30 points is six over plus your handicap plus par giving 6 + 15 + 72 = 93. Your SD for that round is 93 -71.7 * 113/126 = 21.3 * 0.836 = 19.1.

For strokeplay competitions it's a bit different as you have to check whether you've exceeded nett double bogey on any hole and reduce the hole score to nett double bogey for every hole that this is true for.

Sounds like it. Say you have 30 points Stableford. Your CR is 71.7 and SR is 126 (par 72). So 30 points is six over plus your handicap plus par giving 6 + 15 + 72 = 93. Your SD for that round is 93 -71.7 * 113/126 = 21.3 * 0.836 = 19.1.

For strokeplay competitions it's a bit different as you have to check whether you've exceeded nett double bogey on any hole and reduce the hole score to nett double bogey for every hole that this is true for.

Hi all, yes, I was wrong. I didn’t use formula. One differential is 10.11, other 12.8 and a couple in 13. So it’s correct, 12.8 I am!! I guess it could change quickly when I get all my scores in. I’ve a few horrendous scores in system at moment. But I’ve gone from 17 in July to this. Good result I guess ;)

Well that's by design I suppose.

We're finding members with a good few away scores with some of those away scores missing. The odd one or two home scores missing too, but the away ones are definitely a thing. A quick count of 2020 scores and comparison with what's on record usually shows these up. Internally, the system seems to work very well, but (as with all big data imports) there's always a few anomalies.

We use Handicapmaster, I found that if you publish to Golfnet but go back to start of 2019 rather than the default of Jan this year it seems to pull in the missing away scores and post them.

The fix for unposted home scores is a little more cumbersome, if you add a handicap not to a player and then delete it, the next time you publish it will fix the mising scores.

Was told today that they will be doing another run at the Handicap Index this week.

J

We use Handicapmaster, I found that if you publish to Golfnet but go back to start of 2019 rather than the default of Jan this year it seems to pull in the missing away scores and post them.

The fix for unposted home scores is a little more cumbersome, if you add a handicap not to a player and then delete it, the next time you publish it will fix the mising scores.

Was told today that they will be doing another run at the Handicap Index this week.

J
    We use it too. I'm pretty sure we post from the start of 2019, but will check. Thanks for the tip. With the handicap notes, do you have to publish between adding it and removing it or just after removing it?

I take from what you're saying that dotgolf is still pulling from GolfNet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Here's a question.

Mens and Ladies are still separate in the new system. The ladies even have a different slope factor.

Also Tramore is a par 75 for the ladies. 3 more pars 5s. It just wouldnt work I guess.

I take from what you're saying that dotgolf is still pulling from GolfNet?

I guess so, I’ll find out for sure tomorrow
    We use it too. I'm pretty sure we post from the start of 2019, but will check. Thanks for the tip. With the handicap notes, do you have to publish between adding it and removing it or just after removing it?

I don’t think you have to publish, I think editing the record forces handicapmaster to push it through.

I guess so, I’ll find out for sure tomorrow

I don’t think you have to publish, I think editing the record forces handicapmaster to push it through.
    Thanks again. I looked at ours and there are two areas where you can change the date. The default was for records to be updated only if they had changed since the last update, the GolfNet start date was already set to January 2019, so I changed the 'last update' setting to January 2020 and it seems (haven't checked thoroughly) that this did the trick. It took a while to run, so I'm hopeful it sorted the issue.

For others here, this might sound a bit technical, but it seems that a lot of the missing data is down to the interface between your club's software and GolfNet. The WHS system is reliant on the data that's logged to GolfNet when your club runs an update (usually after a competition). That data seems to be incomplete in certain cases, so clubs should do something like what we did and run an update that forces the system to go back in time - your mileage as to how far to go back may vary. No idea how this has happened, but could be anything from a bad connection, a competition that was closed, re-opened and closed again without updating GolfNet after one or more of those changes or some other issue.

I'm starting to see PCCs coming into the calculations. Looks like it's CSS-SSS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Think it was always to be included. Makes no sense to not include it as strictly using Par as a metric is wrong.

Added to my spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-64dPotwKyAtP2wTAqGrgPU88TuPQbQVqTb1iya2TTI/edit?usp=sharing

If I understand correctly HI is rounded to one decimal .. correct?

So if calculated HI is 14.45 ... thats rounded to 14.5?

If yes, then when asked what my handicap is .. whats the answer? .. 14 or 15? or 14.5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

If I understand correctly HI is rounded to one decimal .. correct?

So if calculated HI is 14.45 ... thats rounded to 14.5?

If yes, then when asked what my handicap is .. whats the answer? .. 14 or 15? or 14.5?

i suppose same as now, might depend on who you are talking to. a lay man asking you might just give the round number, someone who knows what they are talking about, you would tell them you are 9.5 and they would appreciate that you are nearly a single digit golfer

Think it was always to be included. Makes no sense to not include it as strictly using Par as a metric is wrong.
    I believed so too. So was surprised to not see it in the initial viewings. But it seems to be filtering in. I imagine this is a very painful and slow exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

The GUI have released an update regarding the 2021 interclub competitions.

If I am reading it correctly then the handicap index on January 1st, 2021 will be handicap used instead of the lowest of the previous year

• Advertisement
Advertisement