Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭bigeasy

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well GolfNet holds all your records, not just the most recent ones. Also if you change clubs and get a new number, your old rounds from your old club don't follow you (this is wrong imo).

The GUI can link your accounts when you switch clubs . I did it earlier this year . Handicap sec sorted it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

GUI on twitter saying clubs have had access to new handicap indexes since Thursday. It seems to be at the clubs’ discretion whether or not to share these with members in advance of 2 November.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭bigeasy

Well GolfNet holds all your records, not just the most recent ones. Also if you change clubs and get a new number, your old rounds from your old club don't follow you (this is wrong imo).

The GUI can link your accounts when you switch clubs . I did it earlier this year . Handicap sec sorted it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

bigeasy wrote: »
    It's not done automatically though. It should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

bigeasy wrote: »

This is something I probably should have done.

Only moved this year but have beaten my handicap on a few occasions on more difficult course. On my old course this would have resulted in a .1 in most cases.

An update on our members section gave an example

Rating 73.6/ 133 |14.9 -15.7 Index | Course HC 18 | Playing (95%) HC 17

Where as this https://www.usga.org/course-handicap-calculator.html gave

Rating 73.6 / 133 | 15.6 Index | Course HC 20 | Playing HC (95%) 19

I can only presume my Handicap Sec is correct so perhaps the calculations I've been using are wrong.

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    This is something I probably should have done.

Only moved this year but have beaten my handicap on a few occasions on more difficult course. On my old course this would have resulted in a .1 in most cases.

An update on our members section gave an example

Rating 73.6/ 133 |14.9 -15.7 Index | Course HC 18 | Playing (95%) HC 17

Where as this https://www.usga.org/course-handicap-calculator.html gave

Rating 73.6 / 133 | 15.6 Index | Course HC 20 | Playing HC (95%) 19

I can only presume my Handicap Sec is correct so perhaps the calculations I've been using are wrong.
    Yeah, the first one is correct. Not sure why the USGA one is giving the wrong result, but you shouldn't need either the course rating or the par to calculate your handicap, so I suspect that the calculator is doing something odd with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Yeah, the first one is correct. Not sure why the USGA one is giving the wrong result, but you shouldn't need either the course rating or the par to calculate your handicap, so I suspect that the calculator is doing something odd with them.

So just the slope matters? I thought the course rating was the big number to look for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I read about this last week

My understanding is the usga do an adjustment for difference between rating and par

Article I read said ours was much better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    So just the slope matters? I thought the course rating was the big number to look for?

In Ireland yes for handicap purposes. That is turning handicap index into playing handicap

But rating is used for calculating differentials which calculate your handicap index

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Quick question regarding the new system. I understand that when you get your Handicap Index that you then cannot go up more than 5 shots in a 12 month period. So if my HI next week is 20, I cannot go higher than 25. However, after a couple of weeks I get it down to 18, does that mean that the max I can go up to through poorer scores being counted in my 8 best would be 23, or is it still 25? Sorry if that confuses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

macslash wrote: »
    Quick question regarding the new system. I understand that when you get your Handicap Index that you then cannot go up more than 5 shots in a 12 month period. So if my HI next week is 20, I cannot go higher than 25. However, after a couple of weeks I get it down to 18, does that mean that the max I can go up to through poorer scores being counted in my 8 best would be 23, or is it still 25? Sorry if that confuses...

In this case 18 becomes your Low Handicap Index and is the anchor for the following 12 months.

It is always the lowest your HI has been in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

In this case 18 becomes your Low Handicap Index and is the anchor for the following 12 months.

It is always the lowest your HI has been in the last 12 months.

That's what I thought, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,223 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bixler3 wrote: »
    Anybody know where the new handicap index will be posted online?

- Golfnet
    - How DidIDo
    - New system

New system on Golf Ireland website.

Could be worth putting in an FAQ section on first post, include this type of question, formula for calculating HI, likely some others as well

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

yawhat? wrote: »
    GUI on twitter saying clubs have had access to new handicap indexes since Thursday. It seems to be at the clubs’ discretion whether or not to share these with members in advance of 2 November.

Clubs have access so that Handicap Sec and Committee can review and make any adjustments that they deem necessary. Access for members is not due to released until later this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Poker Face wrote: »
    Clubs have access so that Handicap Sec and Committee can review and make any adjustments that they deem necessary. Access for members is not due to released until later this week.

From GUI Twitter:

“Clubs have had access since last Thursday and some clubs have shared indexes with their members. General visibility will happen on 2nd November.”

It would appear the some members have already been given access, at the discretion of their club. It’s come up a few times on the GUI twitter feed and they have made no reference to anything further being released before 2 November. So it looks like you have to wait until next Monday, unless your club shares the indexes earlier than that.

From GUI Twitter:

“Clubs have had access since last Thursday and some clubs have shared indexes with their members. General visibility will happen on 2nd November.”

It would appear the some members have already been given access, at the discretion of their club. It’s come up a few times on the GUI twitter feed and they have made no reference to anything further being released before 2 November. So it looks like you have to wait until next Monday, unless your club shares the indexes earlier than that.
    It has to be noted that data is not fully up to date yet. So members who've got their indexes (and our club sent them out this morning) only have it up to the end of September (in our case anyway) so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »
    Handicap sec issued a distribution of what our handicaps are set to be. I'm getting 7.8 which will give me a playing handicap around 9. Happy days! Cant wait to get back on the course for turkey and hamper comps playing off 9 :D

Quite a few glitches in the system between what was distributed and what should actually be. One young fella in our club was given a 5 handicap when 20 would be a right handicap. Seemingly he was getting crucified for one really good score he had. And another young fella has the opposite effect. He plays off 9 normally but he is being given a handicap of 30 by the system... so definitely some tidying up needs to be done across the board.

Rikand wrote: »
    Quite a few glitches in the system between what was distributed and what should actually be. One young fella in our club was given a 5 handicap when 20 would be a right handicap. Seemingly he was getting crucified for one really good score he had. And another young fella has the opposite effect. He plays off 9 normally but he is being given a handicap of 30 by the system... so definitely some tidying up needs to be done across the board.
    I'm guessing they didn't have 20 scores in. Because otherwise that one good round must have been an absolute record breaker. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm guessing they didn't have 20 scores in. Because otherwise that one good round must have been an absolute record breaker. :)

The 9 handicapper is 12 years old and would have about 200 rounds in, so unless his last 20 were awful muck altogether :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

It has to be noted that data is not fully up to date yet. So members who've got their indexes (and our club sent them out this morning) only have it up to the end of September (in our case anyway) so far.

How did your club send them out to members?

• Advertisement

newport2 wrote: »
    How did your club send them out to members?
    Just a pdf of all the indexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

From GUI Twitter:

I would think those clubs have sent a list of HI to members. The link for members to be able to access to new system has not been given to clubs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

How would it work if you have an existing handicap but only have say 5 recorded rounds for the year in a new club?

How would it work if you have an existing handicap but only have say 5 recorded rounds for the year in a new club?
    It should show up with an existing handicap carried forward. Previous club's data should be available to the transfer team. But you'd be as well to notify your H/Sec to check that. I suspect hard-working H/Secs around the country are trawling through everyone's records to look out for errors. Even if just on an exception basis - handicaps that have moved significantly for example.

Will it show up on howdidido i wonder

Jusr had a call from our HC sec. He gave me my revised HI. I calculate it slightly lower.

When we get to see this on the Golf Ireland Portal, will we see in detail how it is calculated (e.g. here are your lowest 8 H/C diffs, etc .. ).

Or do we not know yet?

Also he did mention that some are WAAAAAY off.

Jusr had a call from our HC sec. He gave me my revised HI. I calculate it slightly lower.

When we get to see this on the Golf Ireland Portal, will we see in detail how it is calculated (e.g. here are your lowest 8 H/C diffs, etc .. ).

Or do we not know yet?

Also he did mention that some are WAAAAAY off.
    I posted a sample a few pages back. That's what it will look like.

When he says way off, is that the difference between CONGU and WHS or are they errors? Because you'd expect a certain amount to be different where the 1SL has basically understated handicaps. Also people with low numbers of comps would also differ. Some quite significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I received a membership database from the new WHS portal - and because the handicaps can go back 3 years - some members have left or passed away so there was a bit clean up to be done with that alone.

In relation to the new handicap index for the members, ESR's or general play adjustments are not factored so they all need to be amended as well.

1 particular player had 11 shots cut from his handicap and another member had 11 shots added to his handicap . . ! The majority where within 2 shots of existing, but still have to make sure it is fair to them and all other members when it comes to competitions.

will require a bit of patience from all members !

I posted a sample a few pages back. That's what it will look like.

When he says way off, is that the difference between CONGU and WHS or are they errors? Because you'd expect a certain amount to be different where the 1SL has basically understated handicaps. Also people with low numbers of comps would also differ. Some quite significantly.

He mentioned one player who plays off a high 20. Has been given a much higher HI. He said a recent Stableford would have scored 60 points off this HI ;-)

• Advertisement

I received a membership database from the new WHS portal - and because the handicaps can go back 3 years - some members have left or passed away so there was a bit clean up to be done with that alone.

In relation to the new handicap index for the members, ESR's or general play adjustments are not factored so they all need to be amended as well.

1 particular player had 11 shots cut from his handicap and another member had 11 shots added to his handicap . . ! The majority where within 2 shots of existing, but still have to make sure it is fair to them and all other members when it comes to competitions.

will require a bit of patience from all members !
    I don't think ESRs or general play adjustments need to be included. ESRs are designed to reset a CONGU handicap if it is clearly too high given the member's scores. WHS works directly from those scores, so no ESR needed. Also, Adjusted Gross Scores that are used in the HI calculation include the handicap in force at the time. So any ESRs are included in that respect.

Advertisement