Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

@mods / OP - could we edit the first post to include the link to the calculator and course ratings websites? They seem to be constantly requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dk1982

Apologies for being lazy and not searching for the answer.... But just to confirm, for your stableford rounds on record where you never entered a score for the scratched holes, you enter the score for a double bogey in its place to get a stroke total?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

dk1982 wrote: »
    Apologies for being lazy and not searching for the answer.... But just to confirm, for your stableford rounds on record where you never entered a score for the scratched holes, you enter the score for a double bogey in its place to get a stroke total?

A net double bogey. So if you are an 18 handicapper then this would be a triple

• Registered Users Posts: 15,859 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

dk1982 wrote: »
    gypsy79 wrote: »
    A net double bogey. So if you are an 18 handicapper then this would be a triple

if you don't finish a hole you put in 0
    the computer works the correct calculation
    you don't just stick a net double in

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dk1982

Seve OB wrote: »

Understood. I just wanted to know for now so i could calculate it myself to get an idea where I'm at. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Does anybody know if non-qualifying competitions count towards the new system calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

gary29428 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if non-qualifying competitions count towards the new system calculation.

I think it depends why they are non qualifying. If its winter rules then they do not count. not sure what else would determine a non qualifying comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

When are Golf Ireland releasing the App or putting up stuff on their website to enable you check your new handicap index I wonder.
    It's not exactly as if Nov 1st is miles away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

It's not active until Nov 2, so plenty of time yet......couldn't resist. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I have 12 qualifying rounds in the last 12 months visible on master score board. Rounds before that time aren't visible. Wonder if all rounds prior to 12 months ago are deleted and hence unavailable for calculating handicaps in the new format :confused:

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I have 12 qualifying rounds in the last 12 months visible on master score board. Rounds before that time aren't visible. Wonder if all rounds prior to 12 months ago are deleted and hence unavailable for calculating handicaps in the new format :confused:

Your 3 years are on golfnet buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Do you mean when calculating your handicap here;
    https://www.calculator.net/golf-hand...alculator.html

Is this asking for a stroke score for 18 holes, in that case if you blanked a hole, how do you calculate the stroke amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Your 3 years are on golfnet buddy.

Think Golfnet goes further back. I can go all the way back to 2015 on mine.

Or is there a time limit on the 20 rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

etxp wrote: »
    Think Golfnet goes further back. I can go all the way back to 2015 on mine.

Or is there a time limit on the 20 rounds?

Has to have been since 2018 I think.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

RoadRunner wrote: »

That 12 months is set by your handicap sec. He can open that up to include away more that the last 12 months but it's probably just set at 12 months. No reason for him not to change it if asked

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I went back to 2011 on Golfnet before I got bored, so they are all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

That 12 months is set by your handicap sec. He can open that up to include away more that the last 12 months but it's probably just set at 12 months. No reason for him not to change it if asked

The further back you go the slower it is to publish from handicapmaster to masterscoreboard

GreeBo wrote: »
    I went back to 2011 on Golfnet before I got bored, so they are all there.

i normally look at the classic view and it only shows 3 years
    just realised you can go further back on the modern view.
    however mine only goes back as far as 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭almostover

Russman wrote: »
    Here it is

Put my last 20 rounds in there, handicap = 8.7. My current handicap under the old system = 8.7. Think the fears of the new system will abate fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mine goes back to 2012.... which is great! I was a serious golfer in 2012. Got down to my lowest ever handicap of 4.2. Class looking back at it now. I do forget how consistent a golfer I was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When you move course it resets which is a pain in the hole - should carry over, i'm still the same golfer!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭blackwhite

When you move course it resets which is a pain in the hole - should carry over, i'm still the same golfer!

You used be able to login using your old GUI number, and see your record when you played under that.

Haven't tried it in a while, and not sure I can remember the old number now though :pac:

I’m in the same club over 30 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

blackwhite wrote: »
    You used be able to login using your old GUI number, and see your record when you played under that.

Haven't tried it in a while, and not sure I can remember the old number now though :pac:

I tried log in to my old account there and could not

Wonder when new site will be up and running with handicaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Just fyi, I went through my rounds there on Golfnet and noticed a large handicap drop between two of them. After comparing with Howdidido, it turns out 2 good rounds I had in August which would count towards my WHS handicap are missing from golfnet, even though the cuts from them were applied and my handicap on golfnet is correct. They are up on Howdidido and also the system our handicap secretary uses. He's looking into it for me now. So it's worth checking all your rounds are up in Golfnet before the handicaps are issued/calculated.

newport2 wrote: »
    Just fyi, I went through my rounds there on Golfnet and noticed a large handicap drop between two of them. After comparing with Howdidido, it turns out 2 good rounds I had in August which would count towards my WHS handicap are missing from golfnet, even though the cuts from them were applied and my handicap on golfnet is correct. They are up on Howdidido and also the system our handicap secretary uses. He's looking into it for me now. So it's worth checking all your rounds are up in Golfnet before the handicaps are issued/calculated.

I’ve seen that once or twice. I think it has something to do with your club not closing off the comp correctly to golfnet, I stand to be corrected though.

I also have a few comps sitting in the unprocessed away section, however they were processed, again, maybe not just closed off correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Question that may have well been answered. If handicap secretary refuses to let people go up a shot or two (or more) on initial roll out. Will they have to reset after every subsequent qualifying round comes in.

Eg. Handicap index goes go from 12 to 14 on 1st November. Yet secretary keeps it at 12. Next qualifying round still struggling and automatic system kicks in and handicap goes to 14. Will this be the way it works. I know there are a few handicap secretaries on here that might have some insight. Or is there even an over ride system in place?

Btw, just a general question based on what was said. Me personally am going to go down, thankfully.

tbayers wrote: »
    Question that may have well been answered. If handicap secretary refuses to let people go up a shot or two (or more) on initial roll out.

I'm not sure how they will be allowed do that. If people are going to start making up their own side rules what is the point of a unified system.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

I’m playing off 9.6. I came down from 23 last October and got a big cut straight to 15 after a wins in the winter league. Since then I’ve came down slowly from 15 to 9.3. Some of those cuts were due to scoring 3 rounds in a row and getting cut extra shots. This happened a few times. So my 8 best scores might not actually be low enough to be off 9 but I am quite comfortable playing around 9 or 10. Does this get taken into consideration or do I go up a few shots and make the most of the generous handicap for the first while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Don't understand how the last 2 questions are relevant. It's best 8 out of last 20 with slope, course rating etc added to the calculation.

Previous ESRs are not relevant and a secretary manipulating calculation is not possible AFAIK.

Advertisement