Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭OS_Head

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, that looks better. Just to make a nerdy spreadsheet point, you don't need sum when doing calculations that involve a function. Or even for basic calculations except totalling arrays. Using =(A6*(B6/113),0) works just as well.

Really? Good stuff. It must be 10 years or more since I've even tried to do anything with excel. I did try to imagine a lookup and course search feature to choose slope but quickly talked myself out of it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,162 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Whats the story with 9 hole rounds? Maybe I did it wrong but it seems to calculate a 9 hole round of 40 as being equivalent to 80 points over 18 (So basically just multiplies score X 2).... Regularly shoot 40 for a 90 hole comp but have never come close to breaking 80! Using the spreadsheet I will be cut to 12 from 18!
    You seem to be mixing stableford points with strokes. Or at least that's how I read the above.

Courses will have separate slope ratings for individual nine holes - front and back nine. The shortcut is to just double the score where that information isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

You seem to be mixing stableford points with strokes. Or at least that's how I read the above.

Courses will have separate slope ratings for individual nine holes - front and back nine. The shortcut is to just double the score where that information isn't available.

Sorry, on the wine here. Fixed original post. Should refer to gross strokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Still struggling to get my head around this!

Currently a 14 hcap (no idea what I will be under new system)

When I put the details on for my home course the blues come out as 19hcap and the whites at 18hcap

My last 20 logged rounds are all on these two courses so without working out exactly my last 20 scores. Is it likely by base hcap will start around 10? Or am I just making stupid assumptions?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Still struggling to get my head around this!

Currently a 14 hcap (no idea what I will be under new system)

When I put the details on for my home course the blues come out as 19hcap and the whites at 18hcap

My last 20 logged rounds are all on these two courses so without working out exactly my last 20 scores. Is it likely by base hcap will start around 10? Or am I just making stupid assumptions?
    You're just making stupid assumptions. :D

You do actually have to work with your existing scores to get it accurately. This is not something you will have to do when the new system comes in, so it's purely an academic exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

You're just making stupid assumptions. :D

You do actually have to work with your existing scores to get it accurately. This is not something you will have to do when the new system comes in, so it's purely an academic exercise.

Ok thanks :-)

Do rounds expire? My 20 qualifying rounds would span over 3 years?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Ok thanks :-)

Do rounds expire? My 20 qualifying rounds would span over 3 years?
    They will go back up to three years initially I'm told. I assume that will continue. The more current ones you have the better. Though there are times I'd like to have my three years ago self on the course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Do 18 holes of solo casual golf count? Are you supposed to submit a card for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Do 18 holes of solo casual golf count? Are you supposed to submit a card for these?

No

Is the max 5 shots back in one year still going ahead. Lots of concern about that. Particularly when 2 shots back was deemed too much here they brought it down to 1.

• Advertisement

Is the max 5 shots back in one year still going ahead. Lots of concern about that. Particularly when 2 shots back was deemed too much here they brought it down to 1.

It appears so

That one stroke limit is a joke. Ireland is the only country that applies it. It's not part of the normal CONGU rules.

That one stroke limit is a joke. Ireland is the only country that applies it. It's not part of the normal CONGU rules.

5 shots is the joke

I agree it's too severe. I think 3 would be fair enough under this new system. 5 is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

This system still has me confused but a sheet up in the clubhouse this weekend had handicap ranges so for me it was 10.3 to 11.1 and course handicap was then calculated as being 12. So I’d jump from a 10 handicap to a 12 overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

slingerz wrote: »
    This system still has me confused but a sheet up in the clubhouse this weekend had handicap ranges so for me it was 10.3 to 11.1 and course handicap was then calculated as being 12. So I’d jump from a 10 handicap to a 12 overnight
    Fair play to the handicap sec, thats a quick turnaround

Not quite. Those are handicap indexes that are calculated from your most recent 20 scores. The score used is adjusted to net double bogey and then calculated using the slope and course ratings from the courses you scored them on. There's no guarantee that your handicap index will be the same as your current handicap. It could be higher or lower.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Fair play to the handicap sec, thats a quick turnaround
    They're issued by Golf Ireland. All the clubs should have them by now. Our club got them on Thursday

Seve OB wrote: »
    5 shots is the joke
    I'll agree on three, but there's a 'soft cap' at three that means every increment after that is halved until five is reached.

But the 1SL is a joke. Nonsense to set a limit on a system that would take you twenty qualifying rounds in a year to get two shots back anyway. And it's from your lowest score that year, so any cut at all and it's not even one stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Not quite. Those are handicap indexes that are calculated from your most recent 20 scores. The score used is adjusted to net double bogey and then calculated using the slope and course ratings from the courses you scored them on. There's no guarantee that your handicap index will be the same as your current handicap. It could be higher or lower.

So for arguments sake a visitor came to play an open off 10.3 handicap index, they would then play off 12 in the competition from the back tees? There was a different sheet for the forward tees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

So for arguments sake a visitor came to play an open off 10.3 handicap index, they would then play off 12 in the competition from the back tees? There was a different sheet for the forward tees

Yep thats exactly it.

If you never played any opens, and your club always played off the back sticks for comps you'd be a 10.3 index but you'd only ever play off 12 (on the basis your handicap never changes!!)

Yeah. There should be different tables for each set of tees. The tables are purely for ease of use by members and visitors. The actual calculation is easy enough - CH = HI * (SR/113). SR (Slope Rating) will always be the same for a given set of tees, so say your SR is 128, then your Course Handicap is your Handicap Index multiplied by 1.132 rounded to the nearest integer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

A problem the club I grew up in has is that it's too long from the blues for heaps of the members. A problem shared with clubs around the country no doubt. The result is they barely play comps from them and a lot of the members won't play in them because they don't find them enjoyable.

This new system offers a solution for this. Sadly I can't imagine it will be used. It also offers the choice of having men and women compete together. To me this sounds brilliant. If I was a lady I'd be enraged that I'm never allowed out on Sunday mornings. Golf is a perfect game to play together, but I don't see it being used.

blue note wrote: »
    A problem the club I grew up in has is that it's too long from the blues for heaps of the members. A problem shared with clubs around the country no doubt. The result is they barely play comps from them and a lot of the members won't play in them because they don't find them enjoyable.

This new system offers a solution for this. Sadly I can't imagine it will be used. It also offers the choice of having men and women compete together. To me this sounds brilliant. If I was a lady I'd be enraged that I'm never allowed out on Sunday mornings. Golf is a perfect game to play together, but I don't see it being used.
    Fully agree. Too few clubs combine opens for both men and women. I fully understand that timesheet pressure doesn't make this possible in many clubs, but I've competed in opens around the country where numbers are very low and only for men. If the system of handicapping is supposed to level the playing field, there really is no reason not to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

Fully agree. Too few clubs combine opens for both men and women. I fully understand that timesheet pressure doesn't make this possible in many clubs, but I've competed in opens around the country where numbers are very low and only for men. If the system of handicapping is supposed to level the playing field, there really is no reason not to do this.

Agree it's crazy. We have an open every Sunday, men and women are allowed to play. But only men can enter the comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

But sure if there's time sheet pressure, how is it a fair solution to have the comp as men only every Sunday? Sure the timesheet is under less pressure, but only because a significant amount of members (who are generally paying the same membership fee) are no owed to play. If you said only people with surnames starting in letters A to S could play in the Sunday morning comps you'd be laughed at. But excluding women is fine and to me makes just as much sense.

But sure if there's time sheet pressure, how is it a fair solution to have the comp as men only every Sunday? Sure the timesheet is under less pressure, but only because a significant amount of members (who are generally paying the same membership fee) are no owed to play. If you said only people with surnames starting in letters A to S could play in the Sunday morning comps you'd be laughed at. But excluding women is fine and to me makes just as much sense.
    Yeah. You're dead right. Hadn't thought of it like that. First come first served should be the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

Nothing to do with timesheet pressure. The women are allowed to play, just not enter the competition. When I asked, the reason I was given was that it was a decision taken by the ladies commitee.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Yeah. You're dead right. Hadn't thought of it like that. First come first served should be the order of the day.

I don’t understand why at the very least clubs don’t run two comps together. Whatever about the varying tee discussion, why couldn’t a Sunday morning comp be a men’s comp off the blues and a ladies comp off reds. Obviously if there’s 100 men playing and 20 women manage prizes accordingly but in this day and age there’s no excuse for not having inclusive golf for everyone.

Also once we move to the new handicap system, ladies and men should be able to play together in the same comp, even if clubs don’t go so far as to allow varied tees in the same comp, you could easily have a mixed singles comp off the yellow or forward tees, as I imagine not all ladies would be keen to play off whites or blues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

In Moate the ladies can win any prize in an open and there is a Ladies category in the normal weekend club competitions. The only competitions they cant enter are the Scratch Cups and then in the Presidents & Captains there is a seperate 13 hole comp for them on the day of the final. This happens in reverse for the Men on Lady Captain / Presidents day.

Advertisement