Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    See that's the thing most right wingers, women haters, racists and anti-liberals forget about freedom of speech. It works both ways.

Did you just call me a right wing , woman hating , racist and anti-liberal , without providing a shred of evidence to support your claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Christ on a bike during his allocated Covid-19 exercise time!!!!

Buy the game or don't. No need to make a big song and dance about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

You didn't ask a question though. You are just baiting a response by failing to answer the first question and throwing the burden of response back on the person that asked the original question. It's a good way to wriggle out of a response when you've no evidence to back it up.

I did ask a highly pertinent question. Perhaps you can answer it. Your implication that I am baiting a response is not just laughable but highly ridiculous especially coming from a moderator.

Can I accuse you of slinging **** around because I don't like your opinion about something?

It's a good way to wriggle out of a response when you've no evidence to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Well it seems your the Cmod here, I'm done with this forum. Enjoy your little corner when you have the power to call whoever you like a troll.

I genuinely asked a pertinent question. But you mods got each other's backs eh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BruteStock wrote: »
    Did you just call me a right wing , woman hating , racist and anti-liberal , without providing a shred of evidence to support your claim?

No, just that your arguments and statements so far have been nonsense.
    2u2me wrote: »
    I did ask a highly pertinent question. Perhaps you can answer it. Your implication that I am baiting a response is not just laughable but highly ridiculous especially coming from a moderator.

Can I accuse you of slinging **** around because I don't like your opinion about something?

It's a good way to wriggle out of a response when you've no evidence to back it up.

I'll make it easy for you. Neil presenting an award to Anita does not prove anything. Unless there is a writers credit or somewhere were developers at Naughty Dog or Anita herself say she worked on or influenced the game then there is not a shred of evidence to prove she as had an influence.

Therefore the burden of proof is on your shoulders and there is nothing to answer until you have said evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

See that's the thing most right wingers, women haters, racists and anti-liberals forget about freedom of speech. It works both ways.

Jesus Christ man get a grip. If that is how you see the world I feel sorry for you, those things might exist in very fringe circles but it is not a reflection on western society, most people are just good folk and if they dont support the liberal narrative it does not mean they are in any way hateful. Most people are in the middle or unsure when it comes to social issues. Classic case of demonizing/dehumanizing the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Interesting how mods and their woke cabal accuse users here of all kinds of absolutely despicable things just because they don't agree with their false SJW narrative. But then felt the need to censor because someone dared insult Anita.

And now Retro "I'm not a gamer" gamer here to justify censorship because "hate".

If ND being shyte wasn't enough, their Commiefornia-based butt buddy Sony is still abusing the feck out of the copyright system to censor and dox anyone even discussing this.

That's right. If Sony or ND had even an iota of power over this forum the thread probably would've been nuked.

Commiefornia Uber Alles is a great name for a Dead Kennedys cover band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Jesus Christ man get a grip. If that is how you see the world I feel sorry for you, those things might exist in very fringe circles but it is not a reflection on western society, most people are just good folk and if they dont support the liberal narrative it does not mean they are in any way hateful. Most people are in the middle or unsure when it comes to social issues. Classic case of demonizing/dehumanizing the opposition.

Aren't you the fella that was calling someone a far-left commie a couple of pages back? You might want to take a look in the mirror there...

Commiefornia-based butt buddy Sony

Stay classy, Robert...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't see the world like that but there are those people out there and the people that are complaining about this are for the majority those kind of people.

Also when not taking to extremes the liberal narrative is basically don't be a dick to others and help each other so yes, there is something grossly wrong with people who don't support it.
    Interesting how mods and their woke cabal accuse users here of all kinds of absolutely despicable things just because they don't agree with their false SJW narrative. But then felt the need to censor because someone dared insult Anita.

And now Retro "I'm not a gamer" gamer here to justify censorship because "hate".

If ND being shyte wasn't enough, their Commiefornia-based butt buddy Sony is still abusing the feck out of the copyright system to censor and dox anyone even discussing this.

That's right. If Sony or ND had even an iota of power over this forum the thread probably would've been nuked.

Strange to be called a hypocrite over an embarrassing username I came up with in my teens yet the so called advocates of free speech and anti-censorship are trying to censor Naughty Dog from telling a story that they don't like.

And yes I wouldn't call myself a 'gamer' as I don't want to be associated with the people that have so little going on in their lives that they need to their identity associated with their hobby as if it's a career or ethnic group. I'm an irish scientist who happens to like videogames. I also like indie music and movies but I'm never a movier or a musicer. Also not a 'gamer' as well and would like to keep as far away from all the negative connotations and gate keeping associated with it.

It's a sad state of the world when liberal is a dirty word.

Aren't you the fella that was calling someone a far-left commie a couple of pages back? You might want to take a look in the mirror there...

That was a tongue in cheek comment aimed at Johnny because he(?) likes likes the last Jedi and such, also far-left commie does not seem to carry as negative an association as it maybe should. Also I am not right wing, I am center left but I strongly disagree with identity politics as I feel it is more akin to a religion than reality. However I find myself having to defend some aspects of the right wing due to misinformation or as I said demonization by mostly partisan American media and the Guardian newspaper.

don't be a dick to others and help each other

That is everyone's narrative, I think people are people regardless of politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

If this thread is still going on like this by tonight, I'm cracking open some bottles and getting pissed while I scroll through it. I'm the biggest video game enthusiast I know, and I do read articles and news stories relating to video games, but I do not get caught up in the politics of it all. Reading all of these comments makes me smile and cringe at the same time, because if a video game can cause this much animosity, then it's no wonder the medium gets slandered by the outsiders looking in as much as it does.

This is the biggest overreaction to a video game I've ever came across in recent years. Also, the topic at hand is getting driven way off the rails here. This is supposed to be a discussion on TLOU2 and all I'm seeing is political ****e being spewed all over it, over simple leaks. Maybe it was a bad idea for video games to go all realistic-looking. Maybe we should've kept it at 16-bit and never looked forward. At least we wouldn't take them nearly as seriously as this. It's f*cking ridiculous.

A video game, lads. At the very core it's just something you turn on and play with a gamepad to have fun and enjoy yourself. TLOU2 should be no different whatever its "political goal".

Cop on. Hate seeing ****e like this.

Videogames are political though, no matter if you like it or not or no matter how stupidly game publishers try to tip toe around it. That brings with it good and bad, and we are seeing the very bad at the moment.

Videogames are political though, no matter if you like it or not or no matter how stupidly game publishers try to tip toe around it. That brings with it good and bad, and we are seeing the very bad at the moment.

Even Football Manager had Brexit before the real world sorted something out.

Yeah, and in 5 years we're gonna look back at this and kick ourselves by how stupid it is. Video games are political because the fanbase makes it as such. Politics have no place in this medium. And I absolutely detest and despise when it gets driven in and overlaps what the game should be about. It's one of many reasons I only play a AAA game once and never go back to it. I tend to play older games more often because they are one of the biggest reminders that video games can just be exactly that.

New games haven't a hope in hell going forward because there's always some agenda/political view/propaganda being shoehorned into the discussion and it pisses me off as someone who's passionate about the act of playing the ****ing game as opposed to digging into the intent of the developer. I've already been ridiculed and slagged off for freely expressing my excitement about this game, when all I've done was literally just express genuine positivity for a game I've been excited about since 2014.

Being told I'm a moron for paying $60 for this "trash", and I come into Boards hoping to have an honest discussion about the game and all I'm met with is people arguing over left-right wing whatever the fcuk it is everyone's bitching about. I never thought in my life of playing games I'd be encouraged to feel GUILTY for playing one. It makes me yearn for the day where we could just go back to giving out about how GTA is a "murder simulator" when it clearly isn't. Those debates are comical. This debate is borderline politics-exclusive, and I'm surprised nobody here is on TV with a podium and a microphone for RTÉ, decked in a suit and tie, giving out about it

It's anger-inducing, and is not what I thought I'd run into when I come into a forum as seemingly friendly as this. A discussion, sure, but arguments amongst each other???? Come on t'f*ck like!

I won't be looking back on this in 5 years and locking myself as I know I'll be on the right side of history. I severely doubt being tolerant and allowing artists to express their opinions without the backlash and abuse will be frowned upon.

Similarly you've no reason to feel guilty for being excited for this game. It's unfortunate you are made feel that way by a few bigots that can't accept that the fans don't own a creators creative vision while calling for it to be censored because it doesn't adhere to their gross world view. And it's also laughable these same people pretend to advocate free speech when they really mean freedom to spout hate speech without being called out on it.

A video game, lads. At the very core it's just something you turn on and play with a gamepad to have fun and enjoy yourself. TLOU2 should be no different whatever its "political goal".
    It's hard to overlook a political agenda when you are paying for it. It's why most large companies avoid getting overtly involved in divisive politics.

Druckmann aligned himself with certain characters who are very divisive. A fake 'game journalist' who doesn't play games and tells harmful lies in order to support their position ("Hitman encourages you abuse women!" etc). He propped her up, consulted with her. He went all-in and seemingly pushed out a lot of talent at Naughty Dog.

I think the backlash is very unfortunate, there could be a great game in there, I hope there is. But as I said before this was all very predictable.

• Advertisement

It's hard to overlook a political agenda when you are paying for it. It's why most large companies avoid getting overtly involved in divisive politics.

Druckmann aligned himself with certain characters who are very divisive. A fake 'game journalist' who doesn't play games and tells harmful lies in order to support their position ("Hitman encourages you abuse women!" etc). He propped her up, consulted with her. He went all-in and seemingly pushed out a lot of talent at Naughty Dog.

I think the backlash is very unfortunate, there could be a great game in there, I hope there is. But as I said before this was all very predictable.

And there is absolutely no evidence for any of that.

And there is absolutely no evidence for any of that.
    For any of what ? You have to be more specific.

Well it is should be very easy for me to overlook it, as I just want to play the game -emphasis on play. And that's all I'm saying about it now. I'll come back when people start talking about the game and not the politics. Sick of this crap. I hate politics, and I use video games as an escape from real life ****e.

So it angers me when it creeps into the very thing I use to escape, then I can't fcking escape from it.

For any of what ? You have to be more specific.

The fake game journalist as you put it has zero, zilch, nada input into the game. She was thanked/mentioned at a press conference by Druckmann and that's been taken for a wild ride.

Politics have no place in this medium.

Why don't they? It's an artistic medium like painting or books or film. They're all able to explore political themes and ideas or express social commentary as is virtually every other form of art. There's a lot of times it can be hamfisted or I don't agree with what the artist is saying but at least they have the freedom to express it. A lot of times I'm able to quite happily enjoy something even if it doesn't remotely align with my views on life and politics and there's lots of things that should be right up my alley that I'll think is utter tosh. It's not about being woke or virtue signalling. It's about whether someone is able to create something enjoyable and intelligent. I'm not going to be able to make my mind up about Last of Us II until I've actually played it.

Games and mainstream film franchises seem to attract a metric ton of ****tards who can't seem to be able process anything that strays from the narrow viewpoint of what they think their medium of choice should be. So they'll piss and moan about and accuse others of being outrage merchants. It's soooo fúcking boring at this stage. Some of the muck that people have said on here in relation to LGBT people disgusts me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

[...] Maybe it was a bad idea for video games to go all realistic-looking. Maybe we should've kept it at 16-bit and never looked forward. At least we wouldn't take them nearly as seriously as this. It's f*cking ridiculous.

[...]

I think this is the nub of why we are where we are: the more games encouraged and developed the ability to ape or recreate "reality", the more real topics - be they political, social or economic - were going to be introduced into the narratives of these games. There was simply no way to avoid it: present a photorealistic human within a game and all the baggage, anxieties and potential storytelling would quickly follow. And yes: all the biases from the author. It was coming, it was always coming the moment games got past their adolescent years of tits and blood. Maybe that's where we ware now: the First Year Undergraduate years, where creative directors have discovered feminism and want to tell the world about it.

It can't be avoided: and one can't just decide to ignore the thousands of years of "fiction" structure because this particular arm of entertainment is more interactive than other media. Games are now part of the same narrative sphere as the Novel, Feature Film or Television Serial. And every author since the Greeks invented punctuation has had a bias, an agenda or voice. Not always - but often there and quite vocal all the same. I do wonder how much those most angry over this game read novels. That's not meant as judgement, just curious as the humble novel is the most political, agenda driven & authorial media there is.

We might not like it - but then if you don't? Don't buy the game, ignore it. Go play something else. Not everything is going to be for you, and it's not an outrage either if it isn't (not you specifically gamerBhoy). I generally don't pursue films with strong LGBTQ+ storylines; not for any philosophical reasons, it's just not a subject I feel kinship or interest in. I'm fine they exist, and think them worth stories, but c'est la vie. Sometimes Morals are rammed into stories where they don't belong, but I'm not personally affronted the author dared to add an Important Topic. I'll live. There's plenty of content out there for me; Christ, there's too much content, if anything.

Among the histrionics over "Joker", while many despaired at the shítstorm of outrage over its politics (or lack thereof), nobody ever got outraged about there ever even being politics (in Films) - or how very dare Todd Phillips for interrupting audience's enjoyment of brain candy. Joker still got to exist against the Fast & Furious franchise. It was just another piece in the cinematic space that people debated & argued over.

Yet why are games different? They're never given that leeway: people get more angry and vitriolic because... what? Is it that they're nominally in control of the experience, so feel incensed for not getting the stories they personally want to see - or don't want to see? In which case, again, why play the game at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

So eh... what kinda weapons are people hoping to see in this game?

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nix wrote: »

Hammers and sickles are very easy to repurpose into weapons :p

Dildos. So I can beat to death white males with them as a symbolic metaphor for how women don't need men and the patriarchy.

• Advertisement

A good shotgun, ninja throwing stars, a double-sided dildo that makes old white men explode with rage giving you double xp, C4, a decent assortment of automatic and semi-automatic rifles...

Advertisement