Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

We prob need a spoiler thread, there is no way to talk about this without giving it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I pre-ordered the digital deluxe edition in the end. I'm not really pushed by anything in the enhanced version but I couldn't get the extra mag size out of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

My Amazon pre-order got cancelled for some reason saying it couldn't delivered to Ireland and now it's coming up as currently unavailable. Anyone have any reason why it couldn't be sent to Ireland? Seems to be a bit weird...

Have it pre-ordered with Smyths so it's no hassle and tbh, I'm trying to use Amazon a bit less anyways. Bezos has enough money as it is.

What edition is it? I've the standard version off them and got mail about upgrading to steel book or the amazon limited edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,564 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I forgot how hardcore Factions multiplayer was. Playing it again on TLOU 1 and it's embarrassing how **** i am. Always happens when i come back to it, really have to find your rythm with it and it didn't help playing against guys who never took a break.

I'd love to see it expanded in the new game with a co-op versus infected mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

So because the hype I decided to install part 1. Are my missing something? its terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm really thinking of downloading the original one myself. I really shouldn't, as I just got 10 hours into Persona 5 Royal..........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

So because the hype I decided to install part 1. Are my missing something? its terrible.

The story and character progression are incredibly strong. The wprld was very immersive.The combat wasn't a strong point and wouldn't have aged well but it fit nicely in with the story.
    It's one of the greatest games I've ever played still, yet that's but an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

How much of it have you played?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

What edition is it? I've the standard version off them and got mail about upgrading to steel book or the amazon limited edition.

I got the email about upgrading and when I went to check my basket on the amazon site I got messages saying it was no longer available and now I can't order either version from my Irish account. I'm not that pushed as I have it pre-ordered from Smyths and it'll work out at around the same price once you factor in postage.

Edit: Actually went into my orders and my original pre-order is there but if I go to the upgrade link, it says it doesn't ship to Ireland... I think I might cancel this order and stick with Smyths as it'll be posting from Ireland so less chance of delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

No, you played it and you didn't like it, that's cool. Not everyone has to agree or 'miss' something. You obviously like different things than the people who think this game was great do.

What did you think was terrible about it? Like everything, nothing is perfect and there are aspects of the game that are less than they should be. But overall, IMO, the entire game experience is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Watched the trailer. Looks good. Wish I didn't read the spoilers. Don't read the spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,011 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Takes a while to get into.

I wasn't impressed for the first bit either in 2013. But by the end, I conceded that it was one of the best games I'd played.

Been thinking of having another go of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Maybe im just mad this zombie keeps getting me and im stuck, but so far its just Uncharted combat with terrible stealth and a bit of crying. I'll play on but im not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Maybe im just mad this zombie keeps getting me and im stuck, but so far its just Uncharted combat with terrible stealth and a bit of crying. I'll play on but im not impressed.

The gameplay isnt up to much, its the graphics, music and story telling which is what makes it great. Also try to remember, its a PS3 game and "remastered" for PS4.

But yeah, gameplay wise, it wont blow you away, play on for the story/characters.

Tony EH wrote: »

Been thinking of having another go of it.

Yeah i played through it on PS3 and again on the PS4, been a few years so will likely do a playthrough in prep for the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I wonder if it was at the same point that I was stuck for a good while. So much so that I stopped playing it, sold the game and returned to it a couple of years later...I played it the whole way through absolutely loving it.

One of my fav games ever

The gameplay in TLOU is so-so, it's the story and quality of voice acting that really elevate it. If the story didn't hook you in the opening (which is very strong imo) then I doubt your feelings will change.

That's what has (seemingly) a lot of people worried about TLOU2. If the story is not strong, or the characters are unlikeable, then the gameplay will be under much closer scrutiny this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

nix wrote: »
    The gameplay isnt up to much, its the graphics, music and story telling which is what makes it great. Also try to remember, its a PS3 game and "remastered" for PS4.

But yeah, gameplay wise, it wont blow you away, play on for the story/characters.

So the actual game part isn't great? Eh?

Ballso wrote: »
    So the actual game part isn't great? Eh?

Well thats down to the person, i found the game play in the Uncharted games pretty boring/repetitive, but i actually enjoyed it a whole lot more in TLOU. Also depending on what difficulty you play the game in will make or break it in that regard..

But out of the game aspects, the gameplay in TLOU is the weakest, though for me, that doesnt mean its crap. I felt they did a good job of changing it up and making a lot of great tense, gameplay levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It doesn't really play like Uncharted so I don't get the comparison :confused::confused:

There are no real platforming sections unless lining up a board or ladder counts, there is no cover shooting and your ammunition supply is severely limited in comparison so you can't really shoot your way through everyone. You can't craft items in Uncharted, using stealth in Uncharted is far more awkward and you never worry about health or ammo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ERG89 wrote: »
    It doesn't really play like Uncharted so I don't get the comparison :confused::confused:

There are no real platforming sections unless lining up a board or ladder counts, there is no cover shooting and your ammunition supply is severely limited in comparison so you can't really shoot your way through everyone. You can't craft items in Uncharted, using stealth in Uncharted is far more awkward and you never worry about health or ammo.

Yeah I have to agree. Fair enough if there are complaints about the quality of the gameplay, but I don't see many comparisons to Uncharted gameplay at all.

I fully enjoyed the gameplay of TLOU anyway. The stealth always felt a lot more natural than the typical style where all enemies only walk in an L-shape continuously. I would say it's just slow at the start

Well they use the same engine, so movement/shooting is very similar, its just with TLOU you're required to sneak and preserve your ammo.. But the actual movement/shooting mechanics are pretty much identical.

The shooting/action is dialed up to 11 in Uncharted and in TLOU you're swapping the action for stealth/tension. You're also doing a lot more climbing and set puzzles in the Uncharted's.

The entire gameplay isnt the same, but they share a lot of similarities throughout..

If you finish chapter 1 and aren't blown away, you have no soul :)

I remember i liked it on ps3 and loved it on ps4 and it wasn't just the graphics, the game just clicked with me, went straight into a survivor playthrough right after regular and it was like a different game, now that's a stealth em up. In comparison to Grounded, the hardest mode which is actually a speed run, stealth goes out the window.

Also, you can look at Uncharted and tlou multiplayer, worlds apart because of its gameplay mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,011 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

IIRC, the gameplay in 'The Last of Us' is merely a cover-based shooter, with some stealth mechanics. It's the stuff of many games on consoles over the last...well...forever (which is why consoles are very much a second tier platform for me). But, it's the story that's coupled with the gameplay that makes 'The Last of Us' so well done. It also has some of the best voice acting that I've heard in any game and the world is very well realised.

But, if it isn't anyone's cup of tea. Don't play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I tolerated about an hour of the original game before returning it to the person who lent it to me. The second I got control of any character was still half in a cutscene and telling me run away from a zombie in a straight line. Of course I turn around and run into the zombies to see what would happen... quick time event and no repercussion. Then as above post mentioned the core gameplay was the standard cover based action which nearly put me to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I thought I was the only person who didn't love The Last Of Us. Got it on PS3 and didn't get far. My nephew went on about it for ages so got it again on PS4. Still wasn't blown away but got a lot more invested in the story. Enjoyed it more but it still wasn't the masterpiece everyone was talking about.

Pretty sure I got very close to the end, ended up in a tunnel full of clickers, bloaters and infected. But I had no ammo or resources so couldn't get past it and dropped it. I still have it there so may try again just to finish it before the sequel comes out, which looks very tense to me and I'm actually looking forward to.

I'm aware of Internet meltdowns in recent weeks but unaware of the reason for them as I haven't bothered watching anything on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Tony EH wrote: »
    IIRC, the gameplay in 'The Last of Us' is merely a cover-based shooter, with some stealth mechanics.

Its a lot more than that in fairness, TLOU requires you to think about how your going to fight enemies making it a tense experience at times and timing a shiv or a Molotov cocktail right can be very satisfying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's no Ace combat 7 in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I thought I was the only person who didn't love The Last Of Us. Got it on PS3 and didn't get far. My nephew went on about it for ages so got it again on PS4. Still wasn't blown away but got a lot more invested in the story. Enjoyed it more but it still wasn't the masterpiece everyone was talking about.

Pretty sure I got very close to the end, ended up in a tunnel full of clickers, bloaters and infected. But I had no ammo or resources so couldn't get past it and dropped it. I still have it there so may try again just to finish it before the sequel comes out, which looks very tense to me and I'm actually looking forward to.

I'm aware of Internet meltdowns in recent weeks but unaware of the reason for them as I haven't bothered watching anything on this.

Just pick up a bottle, throw it at a wall and sneak past them. You’re not too far off finishing it, the last part is a real challenge though

• Advertisement

Platinum in the bag for TLOU 1, roll on the sequel!

Advertisement