Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Change in direction for Fine Gael

[IMG][/img]FG-ad.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

...... Mr Butler signed a declaration indicating that he would not subsequently consent to being nominated to the Seanad.

I wonder whether Kenny knew that when he nominated him to the Senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

'Mr Varadkar said last Friday it is not the practice for a political party to publish internal documents and that he did not know if there would be legal issues in doing so'. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fg-grassroots-call-for-publication-of-report-into-bailey-compensation-claim-1.3942215?mode=amp

It makes my blood boil when politicians use this excuse to obfuscate and avoid giving information. He ordered the report, he can arrange for it to be made public within a legal framework if he wants to. I cannot understand how there is not more of a public outcry over this issue. Fine Gael are openly condoning fraud within its own party.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

'Mr Varadkar said last Friday it is not the practice for a political party to publish internal documents and that he did not know if there would be legal issues in doing so'. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fg-grassroots-call-for-publication-of-report-into-bailey-compensation-claim-1.3942215?mode=amp

It makes my blood boil when politicians use this excuse to obfuscate and avoid giving information. He ordered the report, he can arrange for it to be made public within a legal framework if he wants to. I cannot understand how there is not more of a public outcry over this issue. Fine Gael are openly condoning fraud within its own party.

Yes it is absolutely nuts. What is going on internally I wonder. You have the main players pretty much distancing themselves from her after her radio interview. They clearly assumed she was going to be penalised in some way yet Varadkar is keeping her fully on board.
    It really does make your blood boil.

Ive contacted a number of TDs about this and have received acknowledgement from 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Change in direction for Fine Gael

[IMG][/img]FG-ad.jpg

Clever. Do FGers realise the insurance fraud moniker will stick with them for 10+ years unless they act decisively. Probably too late already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Clever. Do FGers realise the insurance fraud moniker will stick with them for 10+ years unless they act decisively. Probably too late already.

FG took a shilling off the OAP in the 1920s. Even as late as the sixties that was being cast up to them off the backs of lorries.

The Bailey wan and her swing will likewise feature at election meetings in years to come.

Amazed FG have let this fester. What are all this high-powered communication gurus doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

nuac wrote: »
    What are all this high-powered communication gurus doing?

Sitting in an echo chamber nodding, or brushing up their resumes (The smart ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's like how when a scandal involving a contract or massive cost overrun comes up, we're told we can't have the details because of "commercial reasons" or some such nonsense.

Those cases are even worse because that IS taxpayer money they're abusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Rolling rolling rolling.

FILM footage has emerged from a Co Kildare showing a customer putting glass in her mouth and then pretending to choke.

The CCTV footage rom the pub in Newbridge reveals the extent of the threat facing small businesses as they battle soaring insurance premiums and massive compensation claims, according to the publican

• Advertisement

You're right. It is too late already. Anything they do now will be seen as being forced upon them by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Richie Ryan put a tax on children’s footwear in 1976.
    I never forgot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Examiner has an article today on Leo, and whether or not the report is made public.
    He said, last week, that it is not the practice for a political party to publish internal documents and that he did not know if there would be legal issues in doing so in this case.

That disclaimer carries two shabby dodges. Ms Bailey is a member of the party in Government, so suggesting it is an internal party matter is disingenuous. Ms Bailey’s behaviour, if it is acceptable to Government, is an indicator of the standards expected, so it is a matter of grave public interest.

Suggesting that there may be legal issues is a well-worn dodge, too — if the report is no more than an accurate account of the affair, what might they be? We should expect better from the Taoiseach. FG grassroots members seem to: Some of them have demanded publication of the report into a controversy which they, rightly, believe cost their party seats in recent local elections.

If this report is not published, it would be another affront to the idea of accountability promised by Mr Varadkar and his predecessor. It would, however, be foolish not to appreciate that nothing will be published before next week’s D summer recess, which offers a sanctuary of sorts.

Ms Bailey merely fell from a hotel swing, but if this report is not published, her party will fall much further. Its credibility, its store of political capital, and, most of all, its voter support, will fall. Wake up, smell the coffee, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

VFI chief executive Padraig Cribben said: “The so-called ‘compo culture’ stems from the fact that people think they can get away with making outrageous insurance claims, a belief supported and encouraged by some within the legal sector and facilitated by insurers settling dubious claims.”

Encouraged by the legal sector, facilitated by insurers and now condoned by our government.

What a great little country we live in.. (if you're in the insurance business)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Caught red handed. But I won't hold my breath thinking she will be punished in any way.

I expect to see more and more stories like this over the coming years. And they will all be subliminally linked to the FG/Bailey swing case.
    If it's ok for our politicians to do it etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Caught red handed. But I won't hold my breath thinking she will be punished in any way.

But surely there should be some punishment for trying to defraud the bar of money by pretending she had glass in her meal??

But surely there should be some punishment for trying to defraud the bar of money by pretending she had glass in her meal??

You would think so. But this is Ireland. When fraudsters are caught lying in court the chances of them being prosecuted for perjury are 'infinitesimal' according to former High Court president Nicholas Kearns.

But it would be hard to prove that she intentionally lied.

Just like Bailey might have forgotten that she ran a race (and probably trained for it too) 3 weeks after her terrible ordeal.

Your one in the video might just have forgotten that the piece of glass she choked on came from her bra, not the food she was guzzling on that the pub served her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

There has to be a disincentive otherwise this issue will never be resolved.

And as we know there’s zero chance that this government will implement anything seeing as they’re so fond of a little compo themselves.

It really is up to the people to sort this at the ballot box.

• Advertisement

Or indeed presenting photos of damage to a car that wasn't damaged in the incident being claimed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I expect to see more and more stories like this over the coming years. And they will all be subliminally linked to the FG/Bailey swing case.
    If it's ok for our politicians to do it etc....

My worry is about how it will all impact on someone with a genuine claim and who is not trying to buck the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My worry is about how it will all impact on someone with a genuine claim and who is not trying to buck the system.

There will always be genuine claims and compensation will be awarded. The spurious and dodgy f**kers however need to realise there is consequences for bringing a false claim in the form of monetary fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Or indeed presenting photos of damage to a car that wasn't damaged in the incident being claimed for.

How is Alan Farrell still in the party? What is did was the very definition of fraud yet he was the first TD out to defend Maria Bailey after her interview with SO'R.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Farrell was successful in his claim so I guess he has the law on his side although it is baffling as to how a judge would award anything after discovering that the photos of the damage presented were not of the damage from the accident in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Richie Ryan put a tax on children’s footwear in 1976. I never forgot that.

You have forgotten it! Because it never happened. :pac:

John Bruton as Minister for Finance tried to introduce VAT on children's shoes in the 1982 budget, but Jim Kemmy pulled the plug and the government fell!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Its bad when the VFI jump in, price fixing degenerates

You have forgotten it! Because it never happened. :pac:

John Bruton as Minister for Finance tried to introduce VAT on children's shoes in the 1982 budget, but Jim Kemmy pulled the plug and the government fell!

You're correct. How people could remember this is that Bruton's act led to the collapse of that FG government in March 1982 and John Bruton, then 34 years of age, has been on a massive ministerial pension (actually several of them) from this state every year for the past 37 years. Parasites on the taxpayers of this state, and irony, don't come much bigger than that conservative rightwing politician.

mickdw wrote: »
    Farrell was successful in his claim so I guess he has the law on his side although it is baffling as to how a judge would award anything after discovering that the photos of the damage presented were not of the damage from the accident in question.

As far as I know they are treated as two separate claims, one the personal injury for his brass sore neck that the judge ridiculed where liability wasn't contested.

The no damage to his car claim is a separate claim and was withdrawn when the evidence contradict his story.

Still welcome in Fine Gael.

• Advertisement

The front of the Indo website right now:

Screenshot-2019-07-02-14-34-05-940-com-android-chrome.jpg

Chancers caught on CCTV lodging claims. I wonder what they're getting at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement