Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language revival

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Modh coinníollach.

Two words to explain why it won't be revived.

Agus an Módh Fo-shuíteach!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Irish language revival ........ attempt No 84

That is, if you take an attempted revival every every year since the mid 1930s, when Irish was introduced into our schools as "our 1st national language".

Slow & painful progress if you ask me.

Reati wrote: »
    It's Saturday and it's joyful day so the Internet tells me. We might as well kick off an auld decade to repent the sins of the thread.

I n-ainm an athar, agus an mhic, agus an sprid naoimh, áiméin.

in the name of the father, the son and the Holy spirit, amen

Creidim i nDia, an tAthair Uilechumhachtach, Cruthaitheoir Nimhe agus Talún, agus i nÍosa Críost a Aonmhac san ár dTiarna, do gabhadh ón Spriod Naomh, do rugadh ó Mhuire ógh, d'fhulaig páis fé Phointeas Píolóid, do céasadh ar an gcrois, fuair bás agus d'adhlacadh, chuaigh síos go hifreann, d'aiséirigh an treas lá ó mhairbhe, chuaigh suas ar neamh, tá ina shuí ar dheasláimh Dé an tAthair Uilechumhachtach, as san tiocfaidh ag tabhairt bhreithiúntais ar bheo is ar mhairbh. Creidim sa Spriod Naomh, sa naomh-Eaglais Chaitliceach, i gComaoine na Naomh, i Maithiúnachas na bPeacaí, i nAiséirí na Colla, is sa Bheatha Shíoraí. áiméin.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, Our Lord, Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified; died, and was buried. He descended into Hell; the third day He arose again from the dead; He ascended into Heaven, sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen

Ár nAthair, atá ar neamh, go naomhaítear t'ainm, go dtaga do ríocht, go ndeintear do thoil ar an dtalamh mar a deintear ar neamh. Ár n-arán laethúil tabhair dhúinn inniu, agus maith dhúinn ár gcionta mar a mhaithimíd do chách, agus ná lig sinn i gcathú, ach saor sinn ó olc. áiméin.

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, Amen.

So forth and so on...

Hasn't Pope Francis recently suggested amending the reference in OLP to temptation?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,091 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Irish language revival ........ attempt No 84

That is, if you take an attempted revival every every year since the mid 1930s, when Irish was introduced into our schools as "our 1st national language".

Slow & painful progress if you ask me.

I think you men attempt number 1 for the eighty-fourth time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

nuac wrote: »
    Agus an Tuiseal ghinedeach

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Nuac and Edgeware. Provide translations as per Boards rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

And the subjunctive mood
    Also it's "an modh foshuiteach". No dash, no fada.
    Edgware wrote: »
    Agus an Tuiseal ghinedeach

And the genitive case

Done. Both relate to grammar structure and rules.

Hasn't Pope Francis recently suggested amending the reference in OLP to temptation?

Wouldn't have a clue. I've zero interest in religion or what the pope thinks.

Wouldn't have a clue. I've zero interest in religion or what the pope thinks.

Around here we speak of little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ultraviolence

stop forcing students to learn a language which the majority aren’t interested in, and then you’ll see a positive atmosphere towards irish and probably it will start to revive. In my year group, theres 4ordinary classes and 1higher, and I can tell you that, majority of us would be better off studying another subject that’s more useful than irish & can achieve points in. Learning ancient poems when you cant form a sentence isn’t going to revive irish. It creates more hatred for it.
    Make it optional for LC.

• Advertisement

stop forcing students to learn a language which the majority aren’t interested in, and then you’ll see a positive atmosphere towards irish and probably it will start to revive. In my year group, theres 4ordinary classes and 1higher, and I can tell you that, majority of us would be better off studying another subject that’s more useful than irish & can achieve points in. Learning ancient poems when you cant form a sentence isn’t going to revive irish. It creates more hatred for it.
    Make it optional for LC.

Covered in depth about 20 pages ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ultraviolence

Covered in depth about 20 pages ago...

And? I felt like giving my opinion as so did everyone else. I didn’t read every single page

And? I felt like giving my opinion as so did everyone else. I didn’t read every single page

OK :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 utconvert

It's Saturday and it's joyful day so the Internet tells me. We might as well kick off an auld decade to repent the sins of the thread.

I n-ainm an athar, agus an mhic, agus an sprid naoimh, áiméin.

in the name of the father, the son and the Holy spirit, amen

Creidim i nDia, an tAthair Uilechumhachtach, Cruthaitheoir Nimhe agus Talún, agus i nÍosa Críost a Aonmhac san ár dTiarna, do gabhadh ón Spriod Naomh, do rugadh ó Mhuire ógh, d'fhulaig páis fé Phointeas Píolóid, do céasadh ar an gcrois, fuair bás agus d'adhlacadh, chuaigh síos go hifreann, d'aiséirigh an treas lá ó mhairbhe, chuaigh suas ar neamh, tá ina shuí ar dheasláimh Dé an tAthair Uilechumhachtach, as san tiocfaidh ag tabhairt bhreithiúntais ar bheo is ar mhairbh. Creidim sa Spriod Naomh, sa naomh-Eaglais Chaitliceach, i gComaoine na Naomh, i Maithiúnachas na bPeacaí, i nAiséirí na Colla, is sa Bheatha Shíoraí. áiméin.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, Our Lord, Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified; died, and was buried. He descended into Hell; the third day He arose again from the dead; He ascended into Heaven, sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen

Ár nAthair, atá ar neamh, go naomhaítear t'ainm, go dtaga do ríocht, go ndeintear do thoil ar an dtalamh mar a deintear ar neamh. Ár n-arán laethúil tabhair dhúinn inniu, agus maith dhúinn ár gcionta mar a mhaithimíd do chách, agus ná lig sinn i gcathú, ach saor sinn ó olc. áiméin.

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, Amen.

So forth and so on...

You could try out lmknjb.com where plenty of this can be found in both Irish and English.

utconvert wrote: »
    You could try out lmknjb.com where plenty of this can be found in both Irish and English.

Why? I'm not religious in the least and could care less what the books are in English or Irish. I posted it as a joke reply to someone else commenting on Irish and Catholicism or something. It was weeks ago so forgive me for not remembering the details.

Advertisement