Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language revival

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

So are private boarding schools racist too?
    Predominantly white kids from affluent backgrounds

Answer— no. They’re not.

Reati wrote: »
    My point that I've continued to put forward is Gaelscoileanna do not have policies that exclude foreign nationals, travellers or special needs people. This is the point that others have made in the thread and are seeking to prove (now we're moved onto its the claim that the majority of parents are racist) If Snow Garden and the other gate keepers want to confirm they do not believe Gaelscoileanna have these policies we might be able to move on...
    I think anyone who thinks that Gaelscoileanna have these policies are likely to have some weird grudge against Gaelscoileanna, or maybe the Irish language.

I think the demographic contrast between mainstream primary education and the Gaelscoileanna is entirely organic, whereby the latter tend not to have to allocate the same expenditure of resources on linguistic disparities in the classroom.This amounts to a net benefit to Gaelscoileanna, which can naturally increase teacher-contact time relative to some other schools.

Any notion of a conspiracy probably belongs in a CT forum.

Nevertheless, there is a problem here. Parents of all students must be mindful that some kind of educational arbitrage is taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭ted1

For the 3rd time....

No chance of an answer Reati? Is it possible?

You’ve got a tin foil hat on. There is no reply to your stupid question.

In my kids school there are 60 places each year. In our eldest year :

30 went to siblings
    19 went to kids of past pupils ( several with partners from different countries )
    10 went to kids being raised through Irish
    1 went to the first kid on the waiting list. ( that was my kid)

0 went to racists.

I think anyone who thinks that Gaelscoileanna have these policies are likely to have some weird grudge against Gaelscoileanna, or maybe the Irish language.

I think the demographic contrast between mainstream primary education and the Gaelscoileanna is entirely organic, whereby the latter tend not to have to allocate the same expenditure of resources on linguistic disparities in the classroom.This amounts to a net benefit to Gaelscoileanna, which can naturally increase teacher-contact time relative to some other schools.

Any notion of a conspiracy probably belongs in a CT forum.

Nevertheless, there is a problem here. Parents of all students must be mindful that some kind of educational arbitrage is taking place.

There are definitely some here with an anti Irish agenda. If you love the language you’re a provo and deserve contempt.
    You see the same people do this across multiple threads and topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Defining most as 50%+

In places like Galway, probably not most but a sizable percentage.

In places like South Dublin, yes most

I think you must be just a troll.

My child is starting in a Gaelscoil next September, do you think I am a racist? Or maybe if its my wife she may be, but according to you 1 of us is definitely Racist going by your statistical analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I think you must be just a troll.

My child is starting in a Gaelscoil next September, do you think I am a racist? Or maybe if its my wife she may be, but according to you 1 of us is definitely Racist going by your statistical analysis.

Not very good at logic, are you? But then if you are sending your kid to a Gaelscoil, that answers that! If 50% of parents had blue eyes and 50% had brown eyes, you are claiming every set of parents (every couple) would comprise of a blue eyed parent and a brown eyed parent.

Given your lack of mathematical reasoning ability, would you not send them to a normal school so they can be given every chance? The ability to reason in life and use mathematical skills will be much more valuable than clogging up their little heads with a language nobody speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

janfebmar wrote: »
    random snide insults

Glad to see you took time away from trolling the other threads in After hours to come back and visit. I was hoping you had swam out to Rockall and done us all a favour ;)

So because I and others disagree with you, and point out obvious flaws in your logic, we must be trolls. :)

Not very good at logic, are you? But then if you are sending your kid to a Gaelscoil, that answers that! If 50% of parents had blue eyes and 50% had brown eyes, you are claiming every set of parents (every couple) would comprise of a blue eyed parent and a brown eyed parent.

Given your lack of mathematical reasoning ability, would you not send them to a normal school so they can be given every chance? The ability to reason in life and use mathematical skills will be much more valuable than clogging up their little heads with a language nobody speaks.

So would it be your contention that there is a 50% chance that myself and my wife are racist?

I understand coming from where you come from that you have an intense dislike of Irish culture and language. I suppose the best I could say about you is that you don't understand what it is to be Irish and to have a desire to express that.

So because I and others disagree with you, and point out obvious flaws in your logic, we must be trolls. :)

You must not have done very well in English in school.I never said the others. Just you. You must have went to a mainstream school ;)

Anyway...

Reads more like trolling than anything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Thread closed for review.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Thread reopened.

Stay on topic. Stop the personal attacks and backseat modding.

Thanks.

Back on topic. If there is an Irish language revival, as the thread title suggests, can someone tell me why there are only a few posts a month in the Irish language thread on boards.ie? Or why there is no Irish language equivalent of boards.ie? Or why I have never seen any Irish language magazines in any newsagents I have ever been in? Maybe I am blind? Are there any (genuine question).

Nice, reflective article in today's The Irish Times on the state of Irish ins na Gaeltachtai

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/yes-the-gaeltacht-is-in-a-bad-way-but-don-t-panic-yet-1.3909860

I can't find any resource online where Mór agus Muilc can be read for free; there is apparently a book but it is designed for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,322 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Back on topic. If there is an Irish language revival, as the thread title suggests, can someone tell me why there are only a few posts a month in the Irish language thread on boards.ie? Or why there is no Irish language equivalent of boards.ie? Or why I have never seen any Irish language magazines in any newsagents I have ever been in? Maybe I am blind? Are there any (genuine question).

you are aware of other discussion forums apart from boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Who wants crab sticks when you can have caviar?:)

There never seems to be more than a couple of posts per month in the Irish language on them, judging by an example someone posted of such a site earlier in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

In Ireland our mother tongue is English.

Speaking Irish as our main language of communication is from the past, and along with Latin these ancient languages should be protected and cherished, but not force fed to our children.

There never seems to be more than a couple of posts per month in the Irish language on them, judging by an example someone posted of such a site earlier in this thread.

I have many friends from here but loving all over that only use Irish when posting on Facebook etc.
    Just because you don’t know where to see it find these things doesn’t mean they don’t happen. There’s countless websites and pages and groups for all kinds of interests. Billions of them. You aren’t engaged in them, but they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I never understood why anyone cared whether we spoke it or not? Speaking English has opened so many doors for us anyway.
    It's not coming back, face it. I went to a Gaelscoil too, was fluent, but have no love for the language really. It's a waste of everyone's time at this stage.

• Advertisement

I never understood why anyone cared whether we spoke it or not? Speaking English has opened so many doors for us anyway.
    It's not coming back, face it. I went to a Gaelscoil too, was fluent, but have no love for the language really. It's a waste of everyone's time at this stage.

Obviously wasted on you but not on everyone.

Obviously wasted on you but not on everyone.

Not everyone, just about 99% of the population that can't speak the language

Speaking English has opened so many doors for us anyway.

Which doors exactly?

Which doors exactly?

F to the D to the I

Not everyone, just about 99% of the population that can't speak the language

Some people just dont understand the importance of language and culture, they are ignorant of the opportunities that a language offers , others have a political or personal grudge against all things Irish and a few people on these threads are British people who like to stir things up.

Its amazing that people are against a language , its like being against culture or learning. As a matter of interest are you against other languages or is it just Irish?

Which doors exactly?

F to the D to the I

Oh yeah that was because 100% because we speak English and nothing to do with our exceedingly generous tax system.

Some people just dont understand the importance of language and culture, they are ignorant of the opportunities that a language offers , others have a political or personal grudge against all things Irish and a few people on these threads are British people who like to stir things up.

Its amazing that people are against a language , its like being against culture or learning. As a matter of interest are you against other languages or is it just Irish?

I speak decent Spanish, I've been learning it for over 10 years now, and used to learn German which I can still converse in somewhat.
    No I'm not particularly against Irish, but this revival is not working. No one cares or wants to learn it, apart from a tiny minority.
    People have a romantic idea that we'll revive it and we'll speak it as much as we speak English in future. We won't. If you think otherwise you're clueless.

F to the D to the I

If I look through your post history and see a single comment in a premiership thread I will laugh. Heartily.

Oh yeah that was because 100% because we speak English and nothing to do with our exceedingly generous tax system.

I would think it's down to both

• Advertisement

If I look through your post history and see a single comment in a premiership thread I will laugh. Heartily.

I don't get it?

Advertisement