Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This idea always comes up when the economy is doing well.

Middle class people decide they want an Irish revival, more Irish schools, and start calling their offspring unpronounceable names.

It's all notions, and they die as quick when things take a downturn.

We already spend far too much money in indulging the Irish language types with seperate forms, Irish language options when you call a government body, announcements on buses and trains etc... And for what? Not one person who can understand them doesn't have a full native command of English as their primary language anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,376 ✭✭✭✭ted1

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Middle class people decide they want an Irish revival, more Irish schools, and start calling their offspring unpronounceable names.

We already spend far too much money in indulging the Irish language types with seperate forms, Irish language options when you call a government body, announcements on buses and trains etc... And for what? Not one person who can understand them doesn't have a full native command of English as their primary language anyway.

Very appropriate user name, we serve neither king nor kaiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Tell me more. How many people told you they were racist?

I am trying to suggest that the vast majority of parents would never admit it so it's impossible to know for certain their motivations for sending their kids to Gaelscoils. Surely you must have an ounce of reasonable doubt.

So are you suggesting that the reason most children get sent to Gaelscoils is because their parents are racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

You mean during the Celtic Tiger all the babies were being named Fionn and Caoimhe and Sean and after the collapse they were all being named Nigel and Darren and Hayley? I hadn't noticed.

janfebmar wrote: »
    Correct, and I think most parents who send their kids to GaelScoil will privately admit that is the reason. If parents want to teach their kids Irish language, they should pay for it themselves and do it outside school hours. A fine hobby if you are that way inclined.

I have news for you. Parents pay for everything their kids are taught. It's called taxation. But I suppose the government could do with a bit of double taxation. And while your at it don't forget singing and religion and history and music and PT and Ancient Greek and......... Janey is nothing free?

• Advertisement

janfebmar wrote: »
    Last time I googled on Gaelscoileanna, 99% of the faces were white. Ask anyone who has kids going to one.

What a wasted opportunity, with all those Gaeilgeoirs from Africa and China trying to get their kids in. Keep honing your trichromatic skills and let us know if it dips to 98%. Maybe all those Gaeilscoils should be closed and the people in Larne and Ballymena who are to be displaced by OP's repopulation plans could be settled where these Gaeilscoils stood to reanglicise those districts. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I doubt gaelscoils have a delib policy to not take non white kids....it would help to go to a gaelscoil if neither of your parents have any irish at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,102 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I doubt gaelscoils have a delib policy to not take non white kids....it would help to go to a gaelscoil if neither of your parents have any irish at all.

They don't. Just more lies spread by the keyboard warriors who have bees in their tiny bonnets about the Irish language.
    They're doing the usual WUM tactics, out-and-out falsehoods, and JAQ'ing. Best to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Tell me more. How many people told you they were racist?

I am trying to suggest that the vast majority of parents would never admit it so it's impossible to know for certain their motivations for sending their kids to Gaelscoils. Surely you must have an ounce of reasonable doubt.

You keep ostriching ;) this question... For the 3rd time
    Reati wrote: »
    Have you emailed the department of education? Why are you, janfebmar and the rest of the keyboard warriors of social justice in the Gaelscoileanna not bringing this outrageous discrimination to their attention, the attention of the media and every platform possible. You clearly feel passionate about fixing the perceived lack of diversity you are constantly telling us exists.

Thanks for wondering in and giving your opinion that native Irish speakers don't have a right to use thier mother tongue. Amazing how no one thinks that a form subtle racism.

All of the above debated to death in this thread and disproven. Looking forward to reading your new proof for any of this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Have you emailed the department of education? Why are you, janfebmar and the rest of the keyboard warriors of social justice in the Gaelscoileanna not bringing this outrageous discrimination to their attention, the attention of the media and every platform possible. You clearly feel passionate about fixing the perceived lack of diversity you are constantly telling us exists.

This is your question? The answer is No. I have never emailed the Dept of Education.

I doubt they would agree to doing a racism survey.

Now quid pro quo. How many people openly told you they were racist?
    Do you understand that I am trying to suggest that the vast majority of parents would never admit it so it's impossible to know for certain their motivations for sending their kids to Gaelscoils. Surely you must have an ounce of reasonable doubt?
    You believe it has never happened and is impossible. Hence you look very foolish and close minded. Maybe it's time for another prayer?

So are you suggesting that the reason most children get sent to Gaelscoils is because their parents are racist?

Defining most as 50%+

In places like Galway, probably not most but a sizable percentage.

In places like South Dublin, yes most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Defining most as 50%+

In places like South Dublin, probably most yes.

So any chance you can pony up proof of this rampant racism in south dublin?

Defining most as 50%+

In places like South Dublin, probably most yes.

Pure fiction !!!!!!

_blaaz wrote: »
    So any chance you can pony up proof of this rampant racism in south dublin?

:D:rolleyes::confused:

It's like Groundhog day with you people. You have already read my response on this numerous times. Take off the blinkers.

Until RedC start doing exit polls on racisms outside Gaelscoils, we will never know.

:D:rolleyes::confused:

It's like Groundhog day with you people. You have already read my response on this numerous times. Take off the blinkers.

Until RedC start doing exit polls on racisms outside Gaelscoils, we will never know.

So you have nothing to support your view of rampant racism??

Telling people to take off blinkers and not even suggesting something to look at seems like needing a cultish level of suspension of critical.thinking skills are required to believe you??

Just believe they are all racist,coz you say so is kinda childish?

_blaaz wrote: »
    So you have nothing to support your view of rampant racism??

Telling people to take off blinkers and not even suggesting something to look at seems like needing a cultish level of suspension of critical.thinking skills are requires to believe you

1 simple question which Reati never answers

Do you think that at least 1 parent sent their child to a Gaelscoil for racial reasons?

1 simple question which Reati never answers

Do you think that at least 1 parent sent their child to a Gaelscoil for racial reasons?

Until i see evidemce to the contary il go with no

But however yous have claimed over 50% of south dublin parents do so because of racist choices.....which is quite a bold claim to make with zero evidence

Defining most as 50%+

In places like South Dublin, yes most
    I'd say it's the opposite.

I live in south Dublin. My kid is due to go to the local Gaelscoil, but there's no question of there being a racial element to this, as the local English-speaking school is also very middle-class, and all-too-pale.

I think this way of thinking, which you're referring to, only arises in places where there is a substantial population of children for whom neither English nor Irish are their first languages. Such as parts of Galway and Cork city, or in parts of west Dublin.

I think it's sad that Gaelscoileanna are manipulated in this way, but no doubt it happens.

This is your question? The answer is No. I have never emailed the Dept of Education.

And there we have it.

You have made very serious allegations that Gaelscoileanna are operating racist, exclusionary policies designed to proposely exclude foreign nationals, ethic minorities and people with special needs.

The Department are responsible for fair education in the Republic and such serious allegations would be immediately investigated. In fact the Social Inclusion Unit section of the department would be very interested in your "evidence" and "proof" given that's their entire remit.

So, it seems amazing to me, given how much dick waving you've done in this thread about unfair enrolment and with what passion you continue to make these allegations and present "evidence" and "proof" to us, that your social conscience only stretches to being "right" on boards.ie

• Advertisement

And there we have it.

You are making very serious allegations that Gaelscoileanna are operating racist, exclusionary policies designed to proposely exclude foreign nationals, ethic minorities and people will special needs.
    I don't think the poster has suggested that, have they?

I think the issue is that most parents with a non-Irish nationality are unlikely to want to have their children instructed through Irish. They are likely to have no attachment to the language at all, nor the most rudimentary ability to understand/ relate to it.

It's a lot more organic than what is being suggested. But I've heard it come up in conversation that Gaelscoileanna have better resources because teachers don't have to spend time starting from scratch, with children whose first and only language may be Arabic or Hausa. This is a real issue in parts of the country where there is a strong foreign-national population, and the simple answer is better educational resources.

That's where this whole thing started but now it's turned into well actually the parents are just racist.

Either way, if this is true why is no on making officla complaints. Seems weird to be so passionate on boards yet that passion can't open a new tabs and send an emailm

Do you understand that I am trying to suggest that the vast majority of parents would never admit it so it's impossible to know for certain their motivations for sending their kids to Gaelscoils. Surely you must have an ounce of reasonable doubt?

No chance of an answer Reati?

But I've heard it come up in conversation that Gaelscoileanna have better resources because teachers don't have to spend time starting from scratch, with children whose first and only language may be Arabic or Hausa. This is a real issue in parts of the country where there is a strong foreign-national population, and the simple answer is better educational resources.

That’s also fiction. When a child starts in a GaelScoil it’s generalLy regarded that the kid has no Irish and learns through immersion. Fir the first two years they’ll think that their teacher doesn’t actually speak English.
    So the child may aswell have Arabic , mandran, Hausa etc.

So they HAVE to start from scratch with everyone.

That's where this whole thing started but now it's turned into well actually the parents are just racist.

Either way, if this is true why is no on making officla complaints. Seems weird to be so passionate on boards yet that passion can't open a new tabs and send an emailm

Not just racist. I maintain it's a convenient way for some parents to hide their xenophobia, racism or snobbery.

You think that's utterly impossible though without evidence ;)

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s also fiction. When a child starts in a GaelScoil it’s generalLy regarded that the kid has no Irish and learns through immersion. Fir the first two years they’ll think that their teacher doesn’t actually speak English.
    So the child may aswell have Arabic , mandran, Hausa etc.

So they HAVE to start from scratch with everyone.
    I think you've just missed the point I was making? A parent with no capacity whatever to assist the child with Irish, e.g. a parent who speaks Arabic, Hausa, or Cantonese at home, is unlikely to want to send their child to a Gaelscoil.

In most parts of the country, children attending Gaelscoileanna won't enroll with fluent Irish, so they're all on the same page anyway. I speak Irish fluently, but my kid doesn't. The point is that they're all equal.

The putative Cantonese or Arabic-speaking parent isn't going to want their kid to have to learn two new languages at once, so Gaelscoileanna are typically not a favoured option.

I think you've just missed the point I was making? A parent with no capacity whatever to assist the child with Irish, e.g. a parent who speaks Arabic, Hausa, or Cantonese at home, is unlikely to want to send their child to a Gaelscoil.

The putative Cantonese or Arabic-speaking parent isn't going to want their kid to have to learn two new languages at once, so Gaelscoileanna are typically not a favoured option.

Yes. I've made this point but it was also ignored as me hiding my head in the sand to the "truth".

I've posted my views on parents motivations pages and pages ago. I never said only people with a love of Irish send their kids to Gaelscoileanna.

My point that I've continued to put forward is Gaelscoileanna do not have policies that exclude foreign nationals, travellers or special needs people. This is the point that others have made in the thread and are seeking to prove (now we're moved onto its the claim that the majority of parents are racist) If Snow Garden and the other gate keepers want to confirm they do not believe Gaelscoileanna have these policies we might be able to move on...

Yes. I've made this point but it was also ignored as me hiding my head in the sand to the "truth".

I've posted my views on parents motivations pages and pages ago. I never said only people with a love of Irish send their kids to Gaelscoileanna.

My point that I've continued to put forward is Gaelscoileanna do not have policies that exclude foreign nationals, travellers or special needs people. This is the point that others have made in the thread and are seeking to prove. If Snow Garden and the other gate keepers want to confirm they do not believe Gaelscoileanna have these policies we might be able to move on...

What??? You really are all over the shop. Cannot answer simple questions.

For the last several posts, I have been asking you about parents and racial motivations. You refused to answer each and every time - where did I mention school policies?

For the 3rd time....

No chance of an answer Reati? Is it possible?

• Advertisement

What??? You really are all over the shop.
    There is definitely a racist/xenophobic element to it - especially the Gaelscoils.

Is it your view that Gaelscoileanna have enrollment rules against the people I've listed above? Yes or no.
    Cannot answer simple questions.

For the last several posts, I have been asking you about parents and racial motivations.l

I've answered the parents motivations question 3 times. You ignore it and that's fine :)

Advertisement