Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Reati wrote: »
    Oh yeah that was because 100% because we speak English and nothing to do with our exceedingly generous tax system.

I would think it's down to both

English does play a part but it's no where near as important as people think.

Remember that song and dance we (Ireland) made about being the only English speaking country left in Europe to get all the UK businesses to come here. How many actually moved here?

Let's have a look.

Dyson went to Singapore
    Panasonic is moving its European HQ to Amsterdam.
    Sony is moving its European HQ to The Netherlands
    Muji is rumoured to be moving its European to Germany.
    Banks Nomura and Daiwa are off to Germany. Norinchukin Bank is off to Amsterdam.
    Lloyds of London is planning to go to Brussels.
    Hermes Investment Management is opening a Dublin office
    Rex London is setting up a Dutch office.
    The Grown Up Chocolate Company eyeing up to Slovakia
    JPMorgan Chase are alleged to be off to Luxembourg
    Aviva and Barcelsy moved assets to thier Irish operations but not sure there was net new jobs.

The list goes on, it's non exhaustive but not small multinational companies and doesn't seem like English as a 1st language mattered all thatt much given all those places have plenty of C2 level speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ok that doesn't matter. I'll say it again, the vast majority don't give a f*ck and don't want to learn Irish. It's a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I speak decent Spanish, I've been learning it for over 10 years now, and used to learn German which I can still converse in somewhat.
    No I'm not particularly against Irish, but this revival is not working. No one cares or wants to learn it, apart from a tiny minority.
    People have a romantic idea that we'll revive it and we'll speak it as much as we speak English in future. We won't. If you think otherwise you're clueless.

I would say its a minority yes but not a tiny minority. 51,000 children receiving their education through Irish. That number is growing year on year.
    Of course it will never be the majority language again but we dont need to consign it to the dustbin of history.

I would say its a minority yes but not a tiny minority. 51,000 children receiving their education through Irish. That number is growing year on year.
    Of course it will never be the majority language again but we dont need to consign it to the dustbin of history.

It's pretty much already consigned to the dustbin of history though. The number might be growing but the number of non-Irish speakers is growing a lot more so it's always going to be a tiny tiny percentage.

Ok that doesn't matter. I'll say it again, the vast majority don't give a f*ck and don't want to learn Irish. It's a waste of time.

The majority may not care but that dosnt mean its a waste of time. Its only your opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

• Advertisement

The majority may not care but that dosnt mean its a waste of time. Its only your opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

It's a waste of time enforcing it on the vast majority in school who don't want to learn it just to appease a few gobsh*tes with romantic notions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

51,000 children receiving their education through Irish.

Most hate it and never use it again. A couple of posts per month in the Irish language on boards.ie, and feck all on any other forums either. No magazines or newspapers to speak of. What a waste of time, money and effort forcing it down peoples throats. It backfired.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Weird to see our own sh!tting on our language and same time insisting we have to bow down to every notion the DUP have in the UI scenario.

Kind of bizarre.

Weird to see our own sh!tting on our language and same time insisting we have to bow down to every notion the DUP have in the UI scenario.

Kind of bizarre.

Except English is "our" language, no one speaks Irish!

It's pretty much already consigned to the dustbin of history though. The number might be growing but the number of non-Irish speakers is growing a lot more so it's always going to be a tiny tiny percentage.

I think you just make up those statistics unless you have a link.

You keep saying "nobody cares whether we speak it" that is obviously not the case. It really dosnt make sense for you to keep saying it, it is not true and you are being irrational by repeating it.

• Advertisement

No one speaks Irish, is that really what you believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

It's a waste of time enforcing it on the vast majority in school who don't want to learn it just to appease a few gobsh*tes with romantic notions.

Why not teach it as a spoken language?

janfebmar wrote: »
    Most hate it and never use it again. A couple of posts per month in the Irish language on boards.ie, and feck all on any other forums either. No magazines or newspapers to speak of. What a waste of time, money and effort forcing it down peoples throats. It backfired.

Have you a link to a survey that says most Irish people hate Irish.
    Its amazing that you can hate a language as you seem to. Do you hate any other languages or is it just Irish. how do you feel about Scottish Gaelic or Faroese for instance? Do you hate those aswell?

No one speaks Irish, is that really what you believe?

Haha An bhfuil siad dáiríre? Mise á rá leat go bhfuil! (are they serious? You'd better believe they are)

You do know there is specfic irish language forums/social media groups(1 of which has at least has 10K+ posts a months)??

Useing lack of posts in a boards forum as evidemce of lavk of interest is slightly pointless since most agree boards as a messaging board is dying anyway

Haha An bhfuil siad dáiríre? Mise á rá leat go bhfuil!

Ta muid dairire alright, nir mhaith le ain dhoine an teange a caint, sin a bhfuil mo chara!
    Rith me ar nos na gaoithe
    nuair a bhi me i mo bhuachail og

He may be serious.

Mise a ra leat go bhfuil sounds wrong to me by the way, I would have said "Ta me ag ra leat" or "Taimse ag ra leat", but sure who even knows what's right or wrong, they just kind of concocted the school thought language and grammar in the last 50 years or so, it's all over the place

Ta muid dairire alright, nir mhaith le ain dhoine an teange a caint, sin a bhfuil mo chara!
    Rith me ar nos na gaoithe
    nuair a bhi me i mo bhuachail og

Féach ar seo! Labhraíonn sé Gaeilge (bríste) ach cinnte Gaeilge!
    (look at that, he's speaking Irish (well broken) but definitely Irish)

My job here is done!

My job here is done!

duirt me cheanna fein (??) san "thread" chuaigh me go dti an bunscoil as gaeilge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- If you post in a language other than English you must provide a translation.5 posts will be deleted if they are not edited by the posters to include a translation.

My job here is done!

duirt me cheanna fein (??) san "thread" chuaigh me go dti an bunscoil as gaeilge.

Agus dúirt tú freisin nach labhraíonn aon duine Gaeilge ach go dtí an pointe seo.
    (and you said no one speaks Irish yet here we are)

_blaaz wrote: »
    You do know there is specfic irish language forums/social media groups(1 of which has at least has 10K+ posts a months)??

link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Nosnon wrote: »
    Mod- If you post in a language other than English you must provide a translation.5 posts will be deleted if they are not edited by the posters to include a translation.

We can’t speak in our own tongue because the rampant haters of the language we’re speaking in can’t understand it.
    Demonstrating that people do and often use the language to address that persons post? Seriously?

Jaysis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Stop moaning ffs thread banned. Do not post here again.

We can’t speak in our own tongue because the rampant haters of the language we’re speaking in can’t understand it.
    Demonstrating that people do and often use the language to address that persons post? Seriously?

Jaysis

In fairness it's in the charter for the site. The mod is only doing there job on this one

link?

Nah mate...wouldnt let your bigotry on it,to ruin it for all involved

Besides,doubt youd not last an hour without being kicked off/banned tbh....they moderated to ensure sh1tshows dont happen

Nah mate...wouldnt let your bigotry on it,to ruin it for all involved

Besides,doubt youd not last an hour without being kicked off/banned tbh....they moderated to ensure sh1tshows dont happen

First, I am not your mate. I pointed that out to you before, on about half a dozen different occasions. The fact you persist in using the term "mate" when it is not wanted says more about you than about me.

Second, the only Irish language forum, where all the conversations are as Gaelige, and where the link was provided, only gets a few posts a month. It is virtually dead. I would not post there anyway, I have thankfully forgotten most of the Irish that was forced down my throat at school.

First, I am not your mate. I pointed that out to you before, on about half a dozen different occasions. The fact you persist in using the term "mate" when it is not wanted says more about you than about me.

Second, the only Irish language forum, where all the conversations are as Gaelige, and where the link was provided, only gets a few posts a month. It is virtually dead. I would not post there anyway, I have thankfully forgotten most of the Irish that was forced down my throat at school.

Meh....like i said theres ones out there with 10k+ posts a month

Tbh son,roughly 80% of forums on boards are dead....the fact you think this amounts to any worthwhile evidence of anything is brilliant though :D:D

• Advertisement

Meh....like i said theres ones out there with 10k+ posts a month
    Where people communicate in English. Irish language ones struggle to get a handful of posts per month.

Advertisement