Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language revival

Options
  • 31-05-2019 7:39pm
    Site Banned Posts: 4

Cén chaoi a bhfuil an Bhreatnais in ann dul chun cinn le níos mó ná 20% á labhairt, ach níl ach 10% ag labhairt na Gaeilge againn. Cén fáth?

Sut mae'r Gymraeg wedi gallu diogelu a hyrwyddo eu hiaith ac ni allwn? Beth maen nhw'n ei wneud i wneud eu hiaith yn ffynnu? Faint sy'n mynd i gadwedigaeth?

We need to preserve our language and, when reunification occurs, aim to have at least 40% of the population as Irish-speaking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Genfella wrote: »
    Cén chaoi a bhfuil an Bhreatnais in ann dul chun cinn le níos mó ná 20% á labhairt, ach níl ach 10% ag labhairt na Gaeilge againn. Cén fáth?

Sut mae'r Gymraeg wedi gallu diogelu a hyrwyddo eu hiaith ac ni allwn? Beth maen nhw'n ei wneud i wneud eu hiaith yn ffynnu? Faint sy'n mynd i gadwedigaeth?

We need to preserve our language and, when reunification occurs, aim to have at least 40% of the population as Irish-speaking.

You'll be waiting for both

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

póg mo thóin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You're codding yourself if you really believe even 10% can speak Irish.

Personally I'm not bothered about it and get niffed when people equate our Irishness with just a language,

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

13 years in Ireland and never saw anyone speaking it, county Kerry or Galway included. One time I heard an old couple talking, I followed to hear better and it was Swiss German. And to be honest when I hear on the radio or tv I can recognize straight away that they are English native speakers because of their R (they have the retroflex R like in English).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ooo, recent registration posting an old favourite of a topic with a bit of extra republicanism thrown in.

Bet this won't degenerate into weird side arguments about how Michael Collins was a traitor.

• Advertisement

Agus anois, an nuacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Orally its not a particularly difficult language to master

Dont see whats wrong with aspiring to have large% of population fluent in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Das Reich wrote: »
    13 years in Ireland and never saw anyone speaking it, county Kerry or Galway included. One time I heard an old couple talking, I followed to hear better and it was Swiss German. And to be honest when I hear on the radio or tv I can recognize straight away that they are English native speakers because of their R (they have the retroflex R like in English).

5 years in Ireland, and hear it nearly daily in interactions with others. Of course, living in a Gaeltacht region probably has something to do with that :p

What's striking is how well Wales could do on preserving and encouraging it's language, while Ireland fumbles along spending a lot of money with poor results. Seems like we could learn something from Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

_blaaz wrote: »

what more can be done?

Students already spend 14 yrs learning it.

There's nothing wrong with it, but nobody's ever come up with a way of making that happen.

On the isle of Jersey during WWII, the native language, Jersais, made a bit of a comeback because the occupying Germans couldn't understand it, making it useful as a sort of language of the resistance. If a similar calamity ever befell Ireland again, I could see Irish making a resurgence. At least it would provide a practical necessity of its use. Otherwise, there are no amount of government and educational initiatives that'll get that job done.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4 Genfella

what more can be done?

How come Wales have managed to revive their language more than we have?

what more can be done?

Teach it to a higher stand orally....writing and learning off passages is the worst way to learn anything

Like anything,you learn by doing,the more you speak it,the more you learn it

People getting bogged.down in spelling,verbs and different how tenses etc etc written is pointless....learn to speak/think in irish and written part will follow.....

briany wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with it, but nobody's ever come up with a way of making that happen.

On the isle of Jersey during WWII, the native language, Jersais, made a bit of a comeback because the occupying Germans couldn't understand it, making it useful as a sort of language of the resistance. If a similar calamity ever befell Ireland again, I could see Irish making a resurgence. At least it would provide a practical necessity of its use. Otherwise, there are no amount of government and educational initiatives that'll get that job done.

Again I'll bring up Wales. Seems like there was a strong desire to resurrect and preserve the language, and it succeeded. I think that, until recently, the Irish government was against the language, and allowed the RCC to control its teaching, to the detriment of the students. Latin grammar was bolted onto Irish by the RCC where maybe it didn't apply but that's how latin was taught ergo it would work for Irish, too.

It comes down to the teaching. Better teaching would impart more love of the language and more success with restoring fluency to Ireland. Not an easy problem to solve at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Which arse was that figure pulled out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's if they want to learn it, which they clearly don't. You can't force people to do anything.

People will go out of their way to learn and pay big money for cooking or playing the ukulele or whatever. All the resources are there, even online. Evening courses it's all out there, so the old excuse of 'ah shur they don't teach it proper' is a red herring imo.
    Let's face it, they're not really arsed.

That's if they want to learn it, which they clearly don't. You can't force people to do anything.

If its taught right people will learn it

Couldnt blame anyone for not liking it now....its terribly taught

Igotadose wrote: »
    Again I'll bring up Wales. Seems like there was a strong desire to resurrect and preserve the language, and it succeeded. I think that, until recently, the Irish government was against the language, and allowed the RCC to control its teaching, to the detriment of the students. Latin grammar was bolted onto Irish by the RCC where maybe it didn't apply but that's how latin was taught ergo it would work for Irish, too.

It comes down to the teaching. Better teaching would impart more love of the language and more success with restoring fluency to Ireland. Not an easy problem to solve at all.

Welsh never died out to the same extent as Irish did. For example, in the Anglo-Irish treaty negotiations, Lloyd George was a fluent native Welsh speaker and made a point of demonstrating that fact to De Valera, whose Irish was not of a comparable level, being a learned language for him.

By the early 20th century, Welsh was still spoken by about half the population of Wales, whereas Irish was already on life support in Ireland. The efforts to preserve Welsh started from a broader base and a viable community of speakers, while in Ireland, the language was ever more diminished by wave after wave of emigration, and the government making only a token effort to stop this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Modh coinníollach.

Two words to explain why it won't be revived.

briany wrote: »
    Welsh never died out to the same extent as Irish did. For example, in the Anglo-Irish treaty negotiations, Lloyd George was a fluent native Welsh speaker and made a point of demonstrating that fact to De Valera, whose Irish was not of a comparable level, being a learned language for him.

By the early 20th century, Welsh was still spoken by about half the population of Wales, whereas Irish was already on life support in Ireland. The efforts to preserve Welsh started from a broader base and a viable community of speakers, while in Ireland, the language was ever more diminished by wave after wave of emigration, and the government making only a token effort to stop this.

Thanks for that info. Do you know if the powers that be actively tried to destroy Welsh like happened in Ireland with the penal laws and the later plantation system (which caused Ulster Irish to be the common dialect throughout Ireland at one time.)

However, as even Cornish (which was officially dead), is making a comeback, where there's a will, there's a way. I agree with other posters that the job done teaching it is the core of the problem, having tried to learn the language as an adult using the available resources. The quality of the materials is borderline abysmal and the poor teachers struggle to teach it. Seems we could at least address the materials and teaching - why is there no one true great textbook used to teach Irish? Things like that. And, 4 different (in some cases, very different) dialects doesn't help expand the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The Irish figure is definitely more aspirational than based in reality, and I suspect that Welsh figure is, too.

As someone who speaks Irish fluently, I have used the language on a couple of dozen occasions in the 15 years since I left school (mainly for talking smack about people while with other Irish people abroad), and I think I have heard it while out and about in Ireland fewer than 10 times.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4 Genfella

Loom at the Meath Gaeltacht. Why can't more man made Irish-speaking settlements like this be created?

We need to do exactly what the Welsh did.

When there is a united Ireland we should relocate Gaelgoirs to loyalist Ulster-Scots areas, injecting Irish culture into areas like Ballymena and Larne and making Ulster-Scots extinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I wish I could speak Irish but I can't. I also wish I could speak French or Spanish but I can't. I'm doing an online course in Spanish and I found if I miss a few lessons I forget what I already learned. I only have primary school Irish and I have never heard Irish spoken since Primary School and I'm now an OAP, in fact I hear more foreign languages being spoken here in Dublin but nary a word of Irish. But for anyone who might like to give it a go now sure try these....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/irish/features/8/english/
    https://www.rte.ie/easyirish/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Loom at the Meath Gaeltacht. Why can't more man made Irish-speaking settlements like this be created?

When there is a united Ireland we should relocate Gaelgoirs to loyalist Ulster-Scots areas, injecting Irish culture into areas like Ballymena and Larne and making Ulster-Scots extinct.

So, forced-migration of people, based on their ethnicity, Stalin-style.

Righto...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lol.
    You are gifted with a lively imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

And, 4 different (in some cases, very different) dialects doesn't help expand the language.

Really? Sure there are some differences but nothing major. Just like the French in France v Africa v Quebec have their quirks. Makes it interesting I think.

What's the story with Scots Gaelic, any revival happening there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I see what we're dealing with now.

Goodnight.

Good try but....fail. No Grade.

Thanks for that info. Do you know if the powers that be actively tried to destroy Welsh like happened in Ireland with the penal laws and the later plantation system (which caused Ulster Irish to be the common dialect throughout Ireland at one time.)

However, as even Cornish (which was officially dead), is making a comeback, where there's a will, there's a way. I agree with other posters that the job done teaching it is the core of the problem, having tried to learn the language as an adult using the available resources. The quality of the materials is borderline abysmal and the poor teachers struggle to teach it. Seems we could at least address the materials and teaching - why is there no one true great textbook used to teach Irish? Things like that. And, 4 different (in some cases, very different) dialects doesn't help expand the language.

The point I was making was that the Welsh & Irish revival movements did not start from the position, so they're not really comparable.

As for learning Irish, there should be no textbooks involved initially. This is an arse-backwards way of learning languages, in any case. The way to learn a language is to gain an instinct for the grammar by starting with very simple sentences, and incorporating the most commonly used words into those sentences, and this should all be done orally for the first while. You can hang the more complicated vocabulary off this frame later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

El Tarangu wrote: »
    As someone who speaks Irish fluently, I have used the language on a couple of dozen occasions in the 15 years since I left school (mainly for talking smack about people while with other Irish people abroad), and I think I have heard it while out and about in Ireland fewer than 10 times.

Since you're fluent why are you speaking it so rarely? French speakers where I live meet up to chat in French to keep up their skills. Ciorcal comhrá type of thing. Irish language music or book sellers would chat away to you as gaelainn if you're doing business with them....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Beaten into me by a collection of ideologues and left a lifelong bitter taste.

There is a way to teach cultural heritage but terrorizing children isn't one of them.

Haven't spoken a word since June 1980 and actively encourage my own kids to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Modh coinníollach.

Two words to explain why it won't be revived.
    And I still don't know what it actually is.

It's taught in the worse way possible for a language. And it's an essential subject for most third level courses. Change how it's taught. Take away the exam. And stop tampering with it! What's taught in school isn't a living language. And even with all that, if someone doesn't want to know how to speak Irish then they won't bother using it once they leave school.

I don't have it and quite frankly I don't want it. Nothing at all against those who do but it simply doesn't interest me. My parents didn't speak it. My grandparents ( born in the 1890s and 1900s) didn't have so it's safe to assume their parents hadn't a word either. It's in no way 'my' language and hasn't been used on either side of my family tree for several generations now. It has nothing to do with my identity as an Irish person beyond shared memories of the dreaded 'Peig'.

Advertisement