Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-03-2019, 15:26   #61
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enbalmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
80%+ of cyclists drive. we're bone tired of hearing this stupid argument.

I suppose as the mod of the cycling forum you're probably "bone tired" of hearing the "stupid argument" about cyclists running red lights
I'm certainly bone tired of the drivers who apparently drive around with blinkers on, given that they don't seem to see the persistent red light jumping by motorists.

Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-03-2019, 15:32   #62
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
oh my sides.
they're proposing spending €600m on a single road in galway, for cars. if cyclists got a fraction of that, we'd be delighted.
cyclists are asking for - well, active transport activists are asking for - 10% of transport budget to be spent on walking and cycling. that's not the lions share, unless you're being creative with language.
And what are cyclists contributing to get ANY of this money they're demanding? I know you argue the semantics of "road tax" or "motor tax" but whatever it's called,cyclists dont pay ANY of it.
You could be onto something here - a tax proportional to wear and tear perhaps?

https://twitter.com/ormondroyd/status/1019819953279692805?s=19
01-03-2019, 15:33   #63
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idbatterim View Post
How much do motorists contribute to the exchequer and how much is spent on road building and maintenance each year?
motor tax is something over €1bn per annum.
according to this, duties of fuel make up another €2bn.
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates...018-01-16/229/
Thanks from:
01-03-2019, 15:42   #64
LeinsterDub

Quote:
80%? Have you got a source for that?

Because i spend enough time cycling AND driving to see that a majority of people cycling absolutely do NOT have cars..if they did they wouldnt cycle the way they do.

I suppose as the mod of the cycling forum you're probably "bone tired" of hearing the "stupid argument" about cyclists running red lights and failing to signal their intentions too? Are you also bone tired of the people who say you should wear high visibility clothing and lights when you're cycling at night?
"the programme reports that 80 per cent of cyclists also drive"

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/t...lide-1.3799047
01-03-2019, 15:49   #65
magicbastarder

it's quite difficult to find how much is actually spent on roads - from what i can see, the department of transport has a budget of under a billion for road maintenance but i'm not sure how (or if) that's divvied up to the councils who i thought were responsible for L and R roads, but the information on that is confusing.
Advertisement
01-03-2019, 15:59   #66
The Enbalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
I'm certainly bone tired of the drivers who apparently drive around with blinkers on, given that they don't seem to see the persistent red light jumping by motorists.

Equally predictably you change the focus to motorists to defelect from the point about cyclists.

That's why its pointless talking to you people..you will brook no criticism of cyclist behaviour and instead turn it round to people who drive cars.

As i say,i cycle a fair bit in the city centre and it's cyclists i have the biggest problems with..some of these people think they're riding in a circus.

Still waiting on the proof of 80% of cyclists also driving cars?
(2) thanks from:
01-03-2019, 16:04   #67
Amirani

Quote:
And what are cyclists contributing to get ANY of this money they're demanding? I know you argue the semantics of "road tax" or "motor tax" but whatever it's called,cyclists dont pay ANY of it.
You were the one claiming on the last page of this thread that it was your income tax that covered the cost of road infrastructure, correctly acknowledging the fact that your motor tax doesn't even come close.

So basically your income tax is allowed to count towards road costs, but if you're on a bike it doesn't? In fairness to you, you hardly need a bike to keep fit with all the mental gymnastics that you do.
01-03-2019, 16:11   #68
Shai

Quote:
Still waiting on the proof of 80% of cyclists also driving cars?
Look 2 posts up.
01-03-2019, 16:13   #69
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Quote:

As i say,i cycle a fair bit in the city centre and it's cyclists i have the biggest problems with..some of these people think they're riding in a circus.
You can choose to have your biggest problems with whoever you like, but you can't choose your own facts. Why did you highlight the old canard of cyclists and red lights when you know well that motorists break red lights all the time?

It's not cyclists that kill 2 or 3 people each week on the roads and maim many more.
Advertisement
01-03-2019, 16:43   #70
hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enbalmer

So once cyclists paid a tax, you'd stop disliking cyclists?

You also could dump your car and avail of this no tax bonanza and start cycling.
(3) thanks from:
01-03-2019, 18:21   #71
Stephen15

Quote:
You can choose to have your biggest problems with whoever you like, but you can't choose your own facts. Why did you highlight the old canard of cyclists and red lights when you know well that motorists break red lights all the time?

It's not cyclists that kill 2 or 3 people each week on the roads and maim many more.
Weak argument. You cannot acuse drivers of killing people as not are all drivers involved in RTCs are convicted of dangerous/careless driving. The way you are going on is almost as if you are defending incompetent cyclists or those who break the rules of the road.

I don't think anyone is denying there are a lot of bad drivers out there on the road. Cyclists can be the cause of crashes. Also you don't seem to think that cyclists should be taking precautions to prevent suffer injury or death as a result of incompetent drivers.
(2) thanks from:
01-03-2019, 22:05   #72
Zebra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
Weak argument. You cannot acuse drivers of killing people as not are all drivers involved in RTCs are convicted of dangerous/careless driving. The way you are going on is almost as if you are defending incompetent cyclists or those who break the rules of the road.

I don't think anyone is denying there are a lot of bad drivers out there on the road. Cyclists can be the cause of crashes. Also you don't seem to think that cyclists should be taking precautions to prevent suffer injury or death as a result of incompetent drivers.
The law is there to protect the rich.

The one area where most well off people are likely to find themselves in court is due to driving related charges.

Ask any guard how difficult it is to get a drink driving conviction against somebody with a good lawyer. Guards are utterly taken apart on the stand over nonsense and the slightest error in procedure means the case is binned.

Lack of prosecutions have nothing to do with a lot of drivers being anyway blameless and sure in a lot of cases the driver doesn't survive to face prosecution.
Thanks from:
02-03-2019, 00:01   #73
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post

It doesn't really matter whether they're convicted or not Stephen. Most road deaths are motorists killing themselves, other motorists or passengers. If you want to reduce road deaths, focus on getting motorists to stop killing people.
02-03-2019, 06:00   #74
LeChienMefiant

Quote:
41% Income tax for the last 26 years says otherwise.
The people who are walking, cycling or using public transport to commute also pay income tax. People using public transport at peak times are working or studying.
04-03-2019, 12:24   #75
monkeybutter

Ban cars from 1k around the city center (permits for the few who need them)

How much time do buses sit around waiting and how much time is wasted for the Luas waiting on traffic

That's what needs to be done

More bus lanes also and monitored by cameras

Anyone driving down the North Quays in the morning (even 24hrs) has a screw loose at this stage

For the buses, it's been brilliant west bound with dedicated bus lanes the whole way out

Stop all routes going through the city center also with dedicated feeder buses doing the city center route, the quays etc

No bus should cross the city center

I think some of that is in the most likely doomed bus upgrade plans

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion