Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranks 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't work with cyclists any more.

The second point is irrelevant when someone absolutely reeks. You'd have the same problem if someone was smelly for another reason but you want to be flippant and tell someone to turn a blind eye because a colleague got stinking on a pushbike.

Interesting musings. So, what's your suggestions to reduce the amount of time spent in cars in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Interesting musings. So, what's your suggestions to reduce the amount of time spent in cars in Dublin?

Interesting musings? You fobbed off stinking sweaty colleagues as "stop smelling them". That's absolutely ridiculous, though I can understand the desire to rapidly brush it under the rug.

Interesting musings? You fobbed off stinking sweaty colleagues as "stop smelling them". That's absolutely ridiculous, though I can understand the desire to rapidly brush it under the rug.

I'm sorry you work with unhygienic colleagues and I hope you can sort it out and I wish you the best of luck with it, I'm lucky enough not to have those issues in the workplace. We're all pretty healthy and maintain good hygiene.

So, what are your suggestions to reduce the amount of time spent in cars in Dublin?

I'm sorry you work with unhygienic colleagues and I hope you can sort it out and I wish you the best of luck with it, I'm lucky enough not to have those issues in the workplace. We're all pretty healthy and maintain good hygiene.

So, what are your suggestions to reduce the amount of time spent in cars in Dublin?

My suggestion is to stop worrying about it. Like I initially said, it's not a bad place to be. Not like people are crawling on hot coals for an hour.

My suggestion is to stop worrying about it..

Dublin's traffic problem sorted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Only to sit straight back down on your hole in your car! :pac:

Yep. In the heat, listening to what I want to listen to, in a nice comfortable seat. It's great.
    Crazy I know, but lots of cyclists, walkers, bus, tram and rail users listen to what they want too.

Dublin's traffic problem sorted. :)

Stopping worrying about things that don't really matter is probably something we all could do with doing. Myself included.

Stopping worrying about things that don't really matter

Congestion matters Oldmanbrennan, it's a problem. The capital needs a huge investment in infrastructure to alleviate commute times. People need to get in to work and back home to their families in a timely fashion. You may be happy spending hours in your car, but other's aren't. We spent enough time sitting on our arses and we want to get to work, get it done and get home to do what we like to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder if any gyms would consider a reduced price shower only membership.

As I mentioned previously I start work at 8am to avoid traffic. Before that I considered cycling and running into work. The lack of shower facilities and the need pay a full gym membership to get shower facilities discouraged me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

Throwing a bit of a curveball here, but provided you dress appropriately (i.e. lightly, no rucksack) and you have a fairly average sweat level (some sweat a lot and there's nothing to be done, I know), showering really isn't a necessary thing to do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Qrt wrote: »
    Throwing a bit of a curveball here, but provided you dress appropriately (i.e. lightly, no rucksack) and you have a fairly average sweat level (some sweat a lot and there's nothing to be done, I know), showering really isn't a necessary thing to do...

Throw away... but I ride an hour each way in breathable fabrics and am a sweaty mess by the time I hit the office....

Trust me, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you want to use your cycle as your exercise for the day/week, which is one of the major benefits of cycling, you will need a shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Congestion matters Oldmanbrennan, it's a problem. The capital needs a huge investment in infrastructure to alleviate commute times.

Dublin has got too big for its infrastructure. The government had a de-centralisation plan about 15 years ago but it failed to carry it through. Had it not failed, there would not be such a problem now. More government offices / companies should be relocated in the big towns / cities around the country, spread things around a bit. Cut down congestion in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I wonder if any gyms would consider a reduced price shower only membership.

As I mentioned previously I start work at 8am to avoid traffic. Before that I considered cycling and running into work. The lack of shower facilities and the need pay a full gym membership to get shower facilities discouraged me.

That's why we need to implement a change in infrastructure to facilitate this modal shift: any office building over a certain minimum size should have shower and changing facilities included as part of the planning conditions.

And employee parking should be taxed like any other benefit-in-kind.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    That's why we need to implement a change in infrastructure to facilitate this modal shift: any office building over a certain minimum size should have shower and changing facilities included as part of the planning conditions.

And employee parking should be taxed like any other benefit-in-kind.

How many showers? Do they stagger start times if they've only 100 or so or do they just start up communal showering? Where do all these showers go?
    And BIK parking? Some of you cycling hive really do yourselves no favours, wise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

How many showers? Do they stagger start times if they've only 100 or so or do they just start up communal showering? Where do all these showers go?
    Plenty of commercial buildings have showers. They're used by runners and cyclists. No need for you to worry. It works just fine.

Plenty of commercial buildings have showers. They're used by runners and cyclists. No need for you to worry. It works just fine.

What if a company has 500 employees that start at 8am? I presume the end goal for you lot is to have them all cycling to work in one big pack, so how do you shower 500 people at once?

What if a company has 500 employees that start at 8am? I presume the end goal for you lot is to have them all cycling to work in one big pack, so how do you shower 500 people at once?
    Don't worry, it works just fine.

Us lot? I don't cycle to work. Nice to know where your mindset is at though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

How many showers?
    Not many; of the people who cycle into work, I'm sure that the proportion who are cycling far enough that they would need a shower would be quite small.
    And BIK parking? Some of you cycling hive really do yourselves no favours, wise up.

Provision of a parking space must be worth at least a couple of grand each year for an employee; why would a BIK worth thousands of euro not be taxed?

• Advertisement

Don't worry, it works just fine.

Us lot? I don't cycle to work. Nice to know where your mindset is at though.

It's wherever your attitude is with some of those smug little replies
    I can guarantee if everyone used a pushbike to get to work then they all would not be able to shower, nor would there be the potential to build enough showers to accommodate them all.

It's wherever your attitude is with some of those smug little replies
    I can guarantee if everyone used a pushbike to get to work then they all would not be able to shower, nor would there be the potential to build enough showers to accommodate them all.
    Why on earth would everyone cycle to work? Take a deep breath please.

Why on earth would everyone cycle to work? Take a deep breath please.

That's the endgame for the hive isn't it? Force us all out of cars and onto bikes?

That's the endgame for the hive isn't it? Force us all out of cars and onto bikes?
    No need for the paranoia. There are other ways of getting around than car or bike. Don't worry about it.

No need for the paranoia. There are other ways of getting around than car or bike. Don't worry about it.

Of course I worry about it as I want to be in a car. Though leave it at that if you can't manage anything other than smug.

Of course I worry about it as I want to be in a car.

Enjoy your soul-destroying congestion so.

Enjoy your soul-destroying congestion so.

I do. If you read back that's exactly how this started.

I do. If you read back that's exactly how this started.

That’s quite a strange hobby but alright so

If you want to use your cycle as your exercise for the day/week, which is one of the major benefits of cycling, you will need a shower.

True, I guess I’m just seeing it from my own perspective. I see how health would be the benefit for a lot of people, whereas the sheer enjoyment is my major benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Of course I worry about it as I want to be in a car. Though leave it at that if you can't manage anything other than smug.

Can you explain something to me.

Do you want to be in a car or do you want to sit in your car and for a 30 minute journey to take 2 hours in a car because you enjoy sitting in congestion.

Reading your posts it suggests the latter. I think everyone else would feel that this si not ideal.

I would love for people who want to drive to be able to drive in a decent time without massive congestion. In my opinion the easiest way to do this is to make other options more attractive so that other options are more viable and it removes people from the roads.

Personally I rely on public transport. I start work at 8 because congestion on the roads is bad and my boss is understanding. It's 10km from home to work. Running or cycling would be a viable option if I had shower facilities but we don't have them.

Advertisement