Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranks 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion

Options
2456717

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero


    Idbatterim wrote: »
    These morons build an entirely car dependent city. Then spend minuscule amounts on proper public transport solutions , actually scratch that , we don’t have a segregated metro here. They won’t get me out of my car for the vast majority of my trips. Bus journeys that are longer than frodos trek to Mordor!

    How in gods name does this kip not have twenty four hour bus services and luas should be operating longer too !


    The morons who built it were elected by millions of morons with votes who decided:


    -They wanted a city that went OUT instead of up because a tiny garden is worth spending 2 hours on a commute to work rather than going downstairs, around the corner and jumping on a subway that comes every 3 minutes...or they never even thought about that exchange just wanted the garden not thinking through the consequences. This is one of the central things holding up decent PT in Ireland.



    -For most of the Tiger era, demanded tax cuts over infrastructure spending consistently to the point where no opposition party was offering the option of using the surplus for long term projects instead of extra 10ers on welfare and tax cuts. Thankfully the govt did the NDP and T21 anyway but nowhere near as much as would have happened with pubic support for long term thinking. This aspect has changed thankfully, and now the public supports public service improvements over tax cuts nearly 2:1 but it's very late in the day for this shift and took a huge recession for people to alter their thinking to the long term.
    Unfortunatly a huge amount of new PS spending gets hoovered up in pay hikes (it's the main reason why, no matter how much money they poured into the HSE after M.Martins reforms, front line services didn't get much better). Instead of attacking the cost of living we just raise their wages like a dog chasing it's tail who will never catch it. 2/3 of the new spending since the recession ended have gone to PS wages and they are demanding we make that worse.



    -Protested HYSTERICALLY and objected via the planning laws every time a bus lane or tunnel or any major transport change was mooted or proposed. You can't even move a bus route at the end to straighten it out in this country without hysterics in the Irish Times about how there are 2 blind passengers out of the 147,000 on that route who will have to walk an extra 12ft.


    -Those outside Dublin have a massive massive chip on their shoulder and would rather spend the cost of an Aer Lingus flight to Moscow per passenger on a barely used line in Ballybrophy rather than support more money going into a Metro in Dublin because "dey get everytin in Dublin".




    I'm all for being critical of political leaders but never forget they don't come from thin air and their opinions and actions are based on the climate of public support.


  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule


    Are these any companies here that specialise in building apartments? Seems like everyone is building office space these days. :/


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1


    Idbatterim wrote: »
    These morons build an entirely car dependent city. Then spend minuscule amounts on proper public transport solutions , actually scratch that , we don’t have a segregated metro here. They won’t get me out of my car for the vast majority of my trips. Bus journeys that are longer than frodos trek to Mordor!

    How in gods name does this kip not have twenty four hour bus services and luas should be operating longer too !

    Are you for real? Dublin was built before cars were even a thing. Rome was second on the list also built before cars. There are very few citys with twenty four hour bus or train services. New york is the only city iv been to that has that service and iv been to quite a few citys.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim




  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant


    Idbatterim wrote: »
    No mention of pedestrians or cyclists. As for this...
    “Dublin’s an old city, with narrow streets, so it’s very difficult in terms of moving traffic efficiently around, unless you start widening streets, which isn’t really an option,” Julia Ann Corkery told The Irish Times. Ms Corkery is associate director on EY’s government and infrastructure advisory team, and reckons that Dublin could scoop the same benefits as Portland if it applies Surtrac to the city’s traffic management system.
    The best way of moving traffic efficiently around the city is to eliminate private car usage. I saw a figure of 1.2 persons per car recently from a Cork study, this is a scandalous waste.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_


    No mention of pedestrians or cyclists.

    The best way of moving traffic efficiently around the city is to eliminate private car usage. I saw a figure of 1.2 persons per car recently from a Cork study, this is a scandalous waste.
    could be more beneficial, overall, than more schemes to try and tempt or bully drivers out of their cars.
    I think this illustrates EY's government and infrastructure advisory team's primary focus.


  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant


    EYs primary focus of course is to make money. The language is emotive, but it's hard to empathise with any argument for unfettered private motor traffic in urban areas. Hopefully the tide of public opinion will shift, but the vocal opposition to infrastructure projects in South and West Dublin is disheartening. We're going to be in some mess in ten years time.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer


    The best way of moving traffic efficiently around the city is to eliminate private car usage. I saw a figure of 1.2 persons per car recently from a Cork study, this is a scandalous waste.


    I paid for my car,the tax,the insurance,the petrol,the NCT and the tolls.

    I'll drive it to work BY MYSELF because I've paid for that right.

    You think busses full of people wielding bus passes is an efficient use of resources?

    If I want to spend an hour cooped up every morning with a bunch of splattering,coughing bums then I'll take the bus.

    If I want a 30 minute spin to work by MYSELF with the radio on I'll drive my car.

    And cyclists can piss off too..they whinge looking for cycle lanes all over the city then refuse to use the bloody things once they're built.


  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant


    I paid for my car,the tax,the insurance,the petrol,the NCT and the tolls.
    You didn't pay for the road infrastructure.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder


    I'll drive it to work BY MYSELF because I've paid for that right.
    um. if you've paid for it, it's not a right.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai


    I paid for my car,the tax,the insurance,the petrol,the NCT and the tolls.

    You paid for a vehicle and the fees and costs mandated to legally operate said vehicle. However, the spaces said vehicle can be legally operated can be restricted just fine.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer


    Shai wrote:
    You paid for a vehicle and the fees and costs mandated to legally operate said vehicle. However, the spaces said vehicle can be legally operated can be restricted just fine.


    Not by people on boards they can't


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer


    You didn't pay for the road infrastructure.

    41% Income tax for the last 26 years says otherwise.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim


    How much do motorists contribute to the exchequer and how much is spent on road building and maintenance each year?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder


    Not by people on boards they can't
    i suspect that claim was never made so it's just a straw man.

    i'm bemused by your comment that buses seem to 'be full of people wielding bus passes' are less efficient than cars. for a bus to be a less efficient use of road space than an average private car, it has to have less than two passengers on board.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt


    And cyclists can piss off too..they whinge looking for cycle lanes all over the city then refuse to use the bloody things once they're built.

    If I used most of the cycle lanes where I live, I’d be long dead. So I think I’ll use them with caution until they’re actually done right.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim


    41% Income tax for the last 26 years says otherwise.

    I think quoting the marginal rate of over 50% is even more stark! Doesn’t matter whether they call it income tax or tooth fairy tax. Fifty percent thieves off at the laughably low marginal rate by those rats!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper


    You think busses full of people wielding bus passes is an efficient use of resources?

    https://humantransit.org/2012/09/the-photo-that-explains-almost-everything.html

    6a00d83454714d69e2017d3c37d8ac970c-800wi

    The next time you're sitting in traffic think about what it would be like if even if 50 people in front of you got on a bus instead. When you're waiting behind a bus or see a bus passing by in the bus lane imagine what it would be like for traffic if those 100 people each got into their own car instead.

    You absolutely can drive your own car but it's the least efficient form of transport and should always be lower priority when space is limited.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani


    You didn't pay for the road infrastructure.

    They also haven't paid the full cost of their pollution.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer


    Idbatterim wrote: »
    How much do motorists contribute to the exchequer and how much is spent on road building and maintenance each year?

    What do cyclists contribute?

    Absolutely nothing..they don't have to have insurance or have to pass any kind of test yet they demand the lions share of transport ugrades so they can refuse to use it,citing that cycle lanes are "too dangerous" .


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer


    i'm bemused by your comment that buses seem to 'be full of people wielding bus passes' are less efficient than cars.

    What i'm saying is that bus revenue is being eaten up by freeloaders who aren't paying their way.
    I'm not referring to people with OAP passes who have at least earned a bit of leeway,i'm referring to junkies and professional dole scroungers..they use the bus multiple times a day to and from their drug connections in the city centre.

    An annual bus ticket for a working stiff costs 1000 euro so the free pass must be costing at least that to the taxpayer per junkie.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder


    yet they demand the lions share of transport ugrades
    oh my sides.
    they're proposing spending €600m on a single road in galway, for cars. if cyclists got a fraction of that, we'd be delighted.
    cyclists are asking for - well, active transport activists are asking for - 10% of transport budget to be spent on walking and cycling. that's not the lions share, unless you're being creative with language.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer


    oh my sides.
    they're proposing spending €600m on a single road in galway, for cars. if cyclists got a fraction of that, we'd be delighted.
    cyclists are asking for - well, active transport activists are asking for - 10% of transport budget to be spent on walking and cycling. that's not the lions share, unless you're being creative with language.

    And what are cyclists contributing to get ANY of this money they're demanding? I know you argue the semantics of "road tax" or "motor tax" but whatever it's called,cyclists dont pay ANY of it.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder


    What do cyclists contribute?
    i first started paying tax in 1991, and have paid my tax in full without break since 1998. i own and drive a car too, so pay motor tax, insurance, NCT, yadda yadda, so fully expect that i should be provided with safe and sensible cycling facilities.
    even when it means that despite the government having taken quite a bit of money off me, i am asking to be provided with a less expensive and less damaging option than driving, i am being told i am asking too much.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder


    I know you argue the semantics of "road tax" or "motor tax" but whatever it's called,cyclists dont pay ANY of it.
    i renewed my road tax a few months ago.
    80%+ of cyclists drive. we're bone tired of hearing this stupid argument.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv


    Buses are ridiculous imo over an hour to get from Connolly to Claire hall sometimes is laughable

    I also really wish they would make the leap card thing mandatory because when school kids hop on sorting change or not giving enough is so annoying that in itself can take upto over 5mins sometimes.

    At least with the leap card it’s either you have enough on the card or F off


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer


    80%+ of cyclists drive. we're bone tired of hearing this stupid argument.


    80%? Have you got a source for that?

    Because i spend enough time cycling AND driving to see that a majority of people cycling absolutely do NOT have cars..if they did they wouldnt cycle the way they do.

    I suppose as the mod of the cycling forum you're probably "bone tired" of hearing the "stupid argument" about cyclists running red lights and failing to signal their intentions too? Are you also bone tired of the people who say you should wear high visibility clothing and lights when you're cycling at night?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder


    give yourself a break, those goalposts must be getting heavy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko


    Idbatterim wrote: »
    How much do motorists contribute to the exchequer and how much is spent on road building and maintenance each year?
    They contribute nothing near the cost of damage they do. This research from London will give you an idea of what they should be paying.

    https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cars-air-pollution-cost-nhs-vans-vehicles-health-bills-lung-disease-a8384806.html

    Where does the idea that motorists get some credit or rights for paying insurance come from? Motorists pay insurance to cover the huge costs of the huge amount of damage done to people and property by motorists.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko


    80%+ of cyclists drive. we're bone tired of hearing this stupid argument.



    I suppose as the mod of the cycling forum you're probably "bone tired" of hearing the "stupid argument" about cyclists running red lights
    I'm certainly bone tired of the drivers who apparently drive around with blinkers on, given that they don't seem to see the persistent red light jumping by motorists.



Advertisement